• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

4r5

At scrublord levels, I abuse this all the time. :lol

RCs are too good not to have available as soon as possible.

Need a compilation video of all the round start gold bursts in to meter dump all over the opponent.

That sounds so cool, I want to do it now.

At last local tournament, I blew all my meter to bait out a burst. When it finally came out, I was like, fuck it, I want my meter back.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's better than throwing someone's burst? Gold bursting someone's blue burst.

The first makes someone feel helpless. The second makes people wonder what they are even doing with their life anymore.
They are getting rushed the fuck down now that's what.

I guarantee if they took Melee and changed how air dodges work to a shorter duration version of the post Brawl air dodge mechanic and slapped that on a disc, it would be universally loved. The level of technicality that made Melee great would be intact barring the "pariah" that is wave dashing.

On a tangent, the worst thing I've seen in the casual v competitive audience discussions here on GAF and on the net in general is how completely dismissive the former audience is of any element that might benefit the game as a whole because of a perception of it being "overly complicated/stupid looking [never forget dash dancing looking like glitching]/geared towards 'elitists'." It's also one of the reasons why I believe that if Sakurai made a game like Melee again without saying anything about its mechanics, every fan base would eat it up like mana from heaven and it wouldn't be until the games were played that you'd even hear comments like "waaaaah, this is MELEE" :scust:

Casuals don't give a fuck as long as Mario can stomp the fuck out of Link and Kirby, next new hype X character is in and there are a ton of extra modes to play.

well duh, because it would be the new game (spoiler: mechanics actually wouldn't matter either way, even if they somehow put back Z canceling (lmao) and wavedashing)

....speaking of which, no other Nintendo fanbase does this; Zelda cycle exists for a reason, many prefer gen 1/2 in Pokemon, most prefer 64/Galaxy (2) for 3D Mario and one of the older 2D Marios, and then Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, and others are all over the place

edit: scratch that, no other fanbases period do that (Uncharted, Halo, Call of Duty, etc.)

Sayah

I played a couple of games of 8 player Smash with my group of friends last week. It's been a couple of years since we all played Smash Bros together.

The unanimous conclusion? "Why the fuck aren't we playing Melee right now."

THESE GUYS DON'T PLAY GAMES and they'd rather play Melee over Brawl and now Smash 4. They're as casual as it gets. None of them would ever dream of playing Melee, or any other video game, competitively.

It's also as if Melee is just the more fun game, and competitive depth and all that shit is just an additional bonus ;)

I think it's just that you're one of the biggest Melee fans I've noticed here and you love absolutely everything about it. Which is great that you're loving a game so much but I think Smash 4 is a great game on its own even if it completely botched my absolute favorite character. Particularly, I miss QAC'ing all over the stage. I've been playing this game online a lot, though, and I've seen people get hell'a creative with their characters. Pac-Man is particularly the most troll character I have yet seen.

At this point, just stop expecting Melee 2.0. Nintendo should just release an HD re-release of Melee with online play to please you guys.

At the same time, I'm hoping Sakurai is no longer the director for the next Smash. While he has poured a lot of effort into the series, his ideology is definitely holding a lot of things back. I like the fact that he catered to the competitive fans with FD versions of each stage in For Glory setup online and went so far as to get a GameCube adapter for the game made. However, the next Smash game needs a brand new mechanic in the game that changes the game formula up a bit. Smash 4, while great, feels like the same formula with new characters.

well duh, because it would be the new game (spoiler: mechanics actually wouldn't matter either way, even if they somehow put back Z canceling (lmao) and wavedashing)

....speaking of which, no other Nintendo fanbase does this; Zelda cycle exists for a reason, many prefer gen 1/2 in Pokemon, most prefer 64/Galaxy (2) for 3D Mario and one of the older 2D Marios, and then Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, and others are all over the place
In my not-so-humble opinion, I think Nintendo fans are like this because Nintendo games get A LOT right. Thus, fans can fall in love with a given title for a myriad of reasons. Most developers do one or two things very well, so when their sequel falters in those areas, it is usually very easy to say it is inferior.

Azure J

The first makes someone feel helpless. The second makes people wonder what they are even doing with their life anymore.
They are getting rushed the fuck down now that's what.

*Inserts that Dragon Install Sol v Slayer match posted a few threads ago here*

Sayah

So am I?

And we're talking about nothing? Seriously? Sure you're not being dismissive?

Look, PSA to you and anyone else in this thread: if you feel I have a habit of getting into meaningless arguments with members here, I implore you to put me on your ignore list. I don't want to waste anyone's time, or make this thread unbearable for anyone.

Thank you.

I am realizing that I've wasted time over Tekken arguments/whatnot here. At the end of the day, internet forum arguments usually produce nothing productive or meaningful, are pathetic, and accomplish absolutely nothing.

I'm assuming everyone posting here is an 18+ adult. I'm sure there are better things we could be doing with our time and lives than having an argument on an online forum. This isn't directed at Karst or you specifically kimo but just a general thought I have going forward.

I hope I'm not out of line by posting this here, so here we go:

I'm looking to get back into playing some fighting games. Not competitively, since my utter lack of motoric skills as well as geographical location would mean I'd get destroyed fast. If I ever find someone playing any fighting games in the near vicinity. I'd just like something to learn, get some analytical thinking going and have some fun training and playing online, whenever my internet connection lets me.

I own an arcade stick, TE R2, and messed around with it a bit a few years ago. I'd say my execution is better than on pad with it, and I like gaming on it, so I'm good to go on that front. Also reading up on stuff with the links in the OP for the theoretical part. What I don't have a clue about is which game I want to play. All my games at home are outdated (Super SF IV, Blazbue CS:E, Guilty Gear XX #Reload) and I'm kinda torn in terms of games available right now.

I played some Blazblue CT, Hakumen and Taokaka, and did decently online. But never got far in terms of combos and mechanical understanding. Bought both CS and CS:E but never played them, just didn't have the time a few years back. Played the original Street Fighter IV a bit, mainly Guile, but it never grabbed me since the art style is a complete turnoff and there is no engaging single player content.

I'm looking for a good beginner's fighter, preferable with some build-in tutorials about fundamentals and a decent training mode, as well as some online activity where I can still find some novice players. Right now Persona 4 Ultimax is high on my list, although the handling of the game in Europe leaves a bad taste in my mouth (late, no free DLC). But I'm open to suggestions.
MAHVEL.

Do a couple trials with the characters then head straight to online play.

Prepare to be blown away by how much you've learned

Riou

Bursts are a bandaid to a more serious problem, which is that offense is relentless in GG. If relentless offense is really a problem, then ASW should add a mechanic to deal with it. Preferably, meterless.

I was curious if you had any ideas on what could replace bursts to solve the problem. I feel bursts, dead angle attacks and faultless defense make GG's offensive manageable. I have a hard time thinking of a meterless mechanic that wouldn't compromise arc system's offensive minded gameplay.

What's better than throwing someone's burst? Gold bursting someone's blue burst.

God that sounds amazing, it is now my life goal to land that on someone.

On the subject of casuals, all that I've got to say is that watching my nieces/nephews try to play really puts things into perspective. Sure I can agree that sometimes companies underestimate casuals, but that is casuals that regularly play and/or are older. Kids that mostly know nothing but simple mobile games at best tho... seeing them it's no wonder that games are the way they are now.

I am realizing that I've wasted time over Tekken arguments/whatnot here. At the end of the day, internet forum arguments usually produce nothing productive or meaningful, are pathetic, and accomplish absolutely nothing.

I'm assuming everyone posting here is an 18+ adult. I'm sure there are better things we could be doing with our time and lives than having an argument on an online forum. This isn't directed at Karst or you specifically kimo but just a general thought I have going forward.

"as a melee fan..."

Clawww

Finally got to play Xrd last night. Really fun so far. Total newbie at GG but I'm digging Slayer. I ended up getting a PS4, so I'll be picking up Xrd, but I think I'm gonna try to stick to pad for a bit before buying a new stick.

Well it can lead to some introspection. If you look at the argument as a challenge to your opinions and beliefs and seriously consider what you are arguing for and why. This is of course only useful to anyone in need of introspection and self examination.

Edit: Oh and I've been dodging Xrd for at least half a week now because I got into Dragon Age, despite the game being shit, and Gundam Breaker 2 despite the game being grindy as hell. Also picked up a WiiU but haven't cracked it open yet.

Not talking about this thread, but I see alot on GAF (and the internet in general), people want to argue, not discuss. Not think about other viewpoints, but just prove their own. People want to "win" or be "right" too much. Not just talk about stuff. That's why I love the internet for the most part, hearing other people's viewpoints and why they think that way.

But I digress.

I was curious if you had any ideas on what could replace bursts to solve the problem. I feel bursts, dead angle attacks and faultless defense make GG's offensive manageable. I have a hard time thinking of a meterless mechanic that wouldn't compromise arc system's offensive minded gameplay.
I think any additional defensive options would require the entire game to be retooled. It wouldn't be bad if FD was less meter-intensive, though.

I'm looking to get back into playing some fighting games. Not competitively, since my utter lack of motoric skills as well as geographical location would mean I'd get destroyed fast. If I ever find someone playing any fighting games in the near vicinity. I'd just like something to learn, get some analytical thinking going and have some fun training and playing online, whenever my internet connection lets me.

I own an arcade stick, TE R2, and messed around with it a bit a few years ago. I'd say my execution is better than on pad with it, and I like gaming on it, so I'm good to go on that front. Also reading up on stuff with the links in the OP for the theoretical part. What I don't have a clue about is which game I want to play. All my games at home are outdated (Super SF IV, Blazbue CS:E, Guilty Gear XX #Reload) and I'm kinda torn in terms of games available right now.

I played some Blazblue CT, Hakumen and Taokaka, and did decently online. But never got far in terms of combos and mechanical understanding. Bought both CS and CS:E but never played them, just didn't have the time a few years back. Played the original Street Fighter IV a bit, mainly Guile, but it never grabbed me since the art style is a complete turnoff and there is no engaging single player content.

I'm looking for a good beginner's fighter, preferable with some build-in tutorials about fundamentals and a decent training mode, as well as some online activity where I can still find some novice players. Right now Persona 4 Ultimax is high on my list, although the handling of the game in Europe leaves a bad taste in my mouth (late, no free DLC). But I'm open to suggestions.
Smash is probably the simplest fighter out there unless you want to drop to Dive Kick levels of simplicity. IMO, the best way to learn isn't to pick the easy game, though. Pick the game that:
1) You are passionate about.
2) Has a supportive community to help you.
3) Has good resources.

Not talking about this thread, but I see alot on GAF (and the internet in general), people want to argue, not discuss. Not think about other viewpoints, but just prove their own. People want to "win" or be "right" too much. Not just talk about stuff. That's why I love the internet for the most part, hearing other people's viewpoints and why they think that way.

But I digress.

That moment when you realize the other guy makes a better point, but you post yours anyways because....

xrd has a pretty good tutorial, but with most games, a lot of the information comes from the dedicated forums eg (dustloop, srk, zaibatsu, etc). But yea I would just go with w/e you like, since imo sf4 would be the easiest to get into but you don't like it.

alstein

But I digress.

No one ever believes their opinions are wrong.

It only really gets bad on here when a bunch of posters and mods are on the same page and start bullying folks. Doesn't happen often but does happen.

Thankfully Shouta's great about knowing this community and knowing where the lines need to be drawn. Other mods don't know the community as well (which is not a knock on them).

K.Sabot

Vote for the kappies guys! We can win something!

2WHpvV9.png

JeTmAn81

MAHVEL.

Do a couple trials with the characters then head straight to online play.

Prepare to be blown away by how much you've learned

Recommending Marvel as a beginner fighter? I don't know man, that game expects you to know three characters before you even play.

No one ever believes their opinions are wrong.

It only really gets bad on here when a bunch of posters and mods are on the same page and start bullying folks. Doesn't happen often but does happen.

Thankfully Shouta's great about knowing this community and knowing where the lines need to be drawn. Other mods don't know the community as well (which is not a knock on them).

That's not true. I myself say shit I don't mean all the time just to see how people react. I even throw out stupid ideas just to see who bites from time to time.

Recommending Marvel as a beginner fighter? I don't know man, that game expects you to know three characters before you even play.

play 3 trails and beat galactus

by that time you're pretty much Flux

That's not true. I myself say shit I don't mean all the time just to see how people react. I even throw out stupid ideas just to see who bites from time to time.

So.. you weren't about to end this dude's whole family tree?

Heretic lookin real Snottiedrippin right now

↓ Monica

ShinMaruku

Any of you guys get that feeling you get when you pick a character to troll with and find out you are better with them than with your main? Because Ibuki you breakin my heart. XD

so you weren't serious about dat whole family tree thing?

Man... you think I'm going to buy a plane ticket to where ever he lives and stalk this dude entire family? No one has time for that shit!

Be real if I have a problem with him I take it to him not his fucking mother. Maybe I'll take care of him and go have tea with his mom at most. Who knows she's probably a really nice lady.

mbpm1

Any of you guys get that feeling you get when you pick a character to troll with and find out you are better with them than with your main? Because Ibuki you breakin my heart. XD

That one week I hopped on Gief and beat 2k points people just be spamming light gh into spd/lariat/green hand again.

And then they nerfed green hand. =(

shaowebb

Any tourney stuff been announced for KoF 98' Ultimate Match Final Edition since it came back on Steam? I'm a fan of it and am really hoping to see it get goin in streams again.

Marz

Any tourney stuff been announced for KoF 98' Ultimate Match Final Edition since it came back on Steam? I'm a fan of it and am really hoping to see it get goin in streams again.

Not happening. Watch some Chinese or Korean streams.

K.Sabot

Yeah go watch based douyu if you want to see people take KoF more seriously than any other esport game here in America.

shaowebb

Not happening. Watch some Chinese or Korean streams.

Yeah go watch based douyu if you want to see people take KoF more seriously than any other esport game here in America.

Fuck...and there isn't really any other fighters I'm big enough into to watch streams of other than Smash these days. I dig Blaz Blue, Guilty Gear and still enjoy playing several others but I just don't get much out of watching them for some reason.

In a fighting game rut here... I miss tag fighters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think any additional defensive options would require the entire game to be retooled. It wouldn't be bad if FD was less meter-intensive, though.
You overvalue burst, it's a good tool to help get out of situations but it can be baited pretty damn bad. A lot of characters don't even really worry about it too much.

Zato in particular is super good at fucking burst over with the way he attacks in general

As far as FD goes you shouldn't be FDing most things only certain attacks, meter gain in GG is stupidly fast so that's one of the reasons it's draining.

CPS2

But more interesting to me, do you think it's impossible to create the perfect fighting game?
Its a well known fact that fighting games achieved perfection with Super Turbo, and if you ever want instant street cred, simply compare any game mechanic from any fighting game to Super Turbo and say how much better Super Turbo is. Parrying. It sucks. Because Super Turbo.

Thomasauras:

Harada gets a lot of hate in Twitter every time a new clip of T7 releases. I'd suggest you just do what he does and be confident in your knowledge of the game and your opinion, and ignore the idiots.

If there is a reasonable argument to be made against your opinion, then be confident you can engage in it. If no one presents a reasonable argument, then everyone can fuck off.

That's basically what I'm doing now. The thing is I'm always ok if I'm wrong. I have been wrong a lot in the past when I was younger and stupid. My opinion on some games has changed a lot by playing almost everygame that came out since 2010, not in a competitive mind but in a way to understand what the game creators wanted to do and what tools they use. I'm more interested in that now and if I'm a fan of Guilty Gear, it doesn't mean I can't criticize it. I have been hard on other games by the past, on series I like and don't like. But well...

Wish I could read French to read your reviews.

I wish I had more time to translate them. If you want to know how I reviewed a specific fighting game since 2012 just PM me and I'll give you the short version. :)

But I digress.

Unfortunately hearing other people and changing your opinion based on them is often seen as a weakness instead of a quality. In the end for many people, it's the "I was right" that counts when you recognize you were wrong. You could tell them how many times they were wrong they would not care at all and still stay in the "I was right on this".

We were talking with Smooth Operator about all this and it's quite hard to find good people to talk to in french the FGC that will not be judgemental or so much fan of something they'll never admit they are wrong (and that's because of this I like reading these topics on gaf even if I don't post much). I have an article on SF3.3 and the parry mechanic in the pipe and I'm waiting for releasing it as people will take personally the fact that parry is indeed in very special mechanic and in my opinion, not something you should extol so much.

You overvalue burst, it's a good tool to help get out of situations but it can be baited pretty damn bad. A lot of characters don't even really worry about it too much.

Zato in particular is super good at fucking burst over with the way he attacks in general

As far as FD goes you shouldn't be FDing most things only certain attacks, meter gain in GG is stupidly fast so that's one of the reasons it's draining.
I'm not saying Burst is too good. I am saying I don't think it is a good mechanic. Big difference.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't troll with jacky but I love playing him when drunk off my ass

and I swear I get more wins than with my sober lau

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not saying Burst is too good. I am saying I don't think it is a good mechanic. Big difference.

Arc Sys games in general are about giving as many universal options for both Offensive and Defensive as they can without going over the line. This way they can make crazy ass characters without worrying too much about other characters not being able to do stuff.

Busting is just one of many. You never explained why you think it's bad. Because it has the potential to reset the match back into neutral?

Top Bottom