• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So, I'm pretty floored by what we've seen from SFV today, and my negative initial reaction has pretty much inversed.

Some thoughts:
  • The more I look at it, the more it doesn't look like SFIV. Textures are so much better, animations are more fluid, particle and lighting effects are leagues ahead etc. While I think it evolves the SFIV art style, and that's a bit disappointing as a radical change would have been preferable, it does so well. The game looks gorgeous.
  • Not sure how I feel about the stage interactions as of yet. Of course, they're not as crummy as in Injustice quite yet, but if there is a variety of them I'm curious if we'll actually see stuff that benefits different characters. Not a fan of the movement in this direction, but overall the stage feels much more alive and really does make it feel more immersive, especially when it juxtaposes who distinct vibes
  • Ono's comments about every character being more unique than ever has me feeling like we won't see multiple grooves or much character customization, but of course this is super early, and Capcom has revealed pretty significant changes to gameplay while closing in on release with their last two Street Fighter related projects.
  • Hitstop is a bit off-putting, but it's like a tamer version of what we got in SFxTK, which is a pretty good balance. Combined with the hit effects and sounds, everything feels like it packs weight.
  • Ryu still has a goofy face.
  • The Charlie cutscene was in-engine, as you can see from the reflections spazzing out a bit, which is interesting, and gives a bit of credence to the French rumour that said they're not playing around with story mode stuff this time around, and kind of echoes similar comments Ono made about learning from NRS a while ago.
  • Ryu's elements seemed to disappear right after he does a hadouken, or gets hit (happened in both cases, neither close in terms of proximity to activation). Maybe it's a physical hit power up? Seems pretty risky, I wonder if it can be activated mid-combo, because the entire game freezes when it happens. Then again, if it's a full out offensive modifier, that would explain why if you are able to lay down constant pressure you can guard break your opponent. Chun's element, in comparison, does not go away when she uses specials or gets hit, and she doesn't appear capable of a guard break.
  • Seems like activating elements consume all of your meter.
  • EX moves still exist, as evidenced by Ryu's shinshoryu, no yellow flash though, just seems they get inkier.
  • Leaning towards there being no chip kills but normals doing chip now. Not sure how to feel about this, don't like the idea of normals doing chip
  • Seems like the health bar is a bit wonky in general, when Chun does her super it doesn't chip away health for all of her kicks until later, like it's delayed.

Dahbomb

Leaning towards there being no chip kills but normals doing chip now. Not sure how to feel about this, don't like the idea of normals doing chip
It should be added that chip from normals is recoverable damage.

Dahbomb

500k buys you a lot of moneyhats friend

9d2fb44d7a3a7d76a987868d4d15f7c92dae9df86d0b635424b6670919d0ac13.jpg

You're bringing down the collective IQ of FGC-GAF

I'm sure everyone who plays a charge character is leagues smarter than I am
I don't even like charge characters! They just happen to be the characters I aesthetically value.

Also, Smash? I want to try new characters.

El Sloth

Banned
I can't rewatch the videos of the demo right now, but can anyone confirm whether the stage remained the "same size" after the stage transition or whether it suddenly became extra long?

Just wondering, because that would definitely influence stage selection by people who like to play runaway (like me).

mbpm1

I can't rewatch the videos of the demo right now, but can anyone confirm whether the stage remained the "same size" after the stage transition or whether it suddenly became extra long?

Just wondering, because that would definitely influence stage selection by people who like to play runaway (like me).

It looked like it was the same size. they never backed up past the hole in the wall

I don't even like charge characters! They just happen to be the characters I aesthetically value.

Also, Smash? I want to try new characters.

Sorry, maybe another day, really drained and probably gonna head to bed in a bit. Plus I need to practice more before I get my clock cleaned by you again, lol

Clawww

RE: what Ono said about Marvel...supposedly just responding to a heckler?

ono wants sf5 to be fast paced i guess. you won't get many people turtling if normals do chip.

hoepfully we wont have a fundamental imbalance between charge and motion characters again, though. FADC and crumples etc. were far stricter for charge characters

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You know, all this time I was waiting on the FGC at large to get behind either the PS4 or XB1 before I decided which of the two I'd be purchasing for myself, and SF5 should be the game that seals the deal, but after thinking on it, I can't come up with a single good reason why I shouldn't just go PC instead.

It's not something I really expected. I haven't been a "PC gamer" since SimCity 2000 was current, but I'm really not keen on paying for online play anymore or dealing with all of the baggage that modern console gaming has acquired.

Sayah

You know, all this time I was waiting on the FGC at large to get behind either the PS4 or XB1 before I decided which of the two I'd be purchasing for myself, and SF5 should be the game that seals the deal, but after thinking on it, I can't come up with a single good reason why I shouldn't just go PC instead.

It's not something I really expected. I haven't been a "PC gamer" since SimCity 2000 was current, but I'm really not keen on paying for online play anymore or dealing with all of the baggage that modern console gaming has acquired.

Aren't PC communities for fighting games usually dead online?

Zissou

He shouldnt have doubled the length of stages and kept walkspeed so slow.

This so much. I'm not understanding the hype for SFV based on what's been shown so far.

Also, visually, they're moving in the KI/NRS direction of characters not being as easily distinguished from backgrounds as they ought to be.

Top Bottom