• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Aren't PC communities for fighting games usually dead online?
I wouldn't be playing the console version online anyway. Like I said, I'm pretty much done paying for that. My Live sub expired over 2.5 years ago and I don't really miss it.

Sixfortyfive

Also, visually, they're moving in the KI/NRS direction of characters not being as easily distinguished from backgrounds as they ought to be.
I'm not seeing it.

And as far as clashing visuals go, it would be hard for Capcom to top TvC's Burning Wasteland or some of the dark MvC3 stages.

NEO0MJ

ono wants sf5 to be fast paced i guess. you won't get many people turtling if normals do chip.

So like Mortal Kombat, then?

Aren't PC communities for fighting games usually dead online?

I guess, but it's pretty easy to arrange matches these days so I don't think it's that big a problem. And it's not like console versions of fighters don't die eventually, they just take a little longer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wouldn't be playing the console version online anyway. Like I said, I'm pretty much done paying for that. My Live sub expired over 2.5 years ago and I don't really miss it.
I think IGC is worth the price of admission alone on PSN.

But yeah, if you already have a PC, why not save yourself $400. I'm sure even though PS4 will be the standard everywhere, it won't be that much different.

Good.

I guess he agreed with the large majority of people who didn't like seeing Justin fraud his way to winning it all

tumblr_lx45uyYuCB1qdmrf4o1_500.jpg

Sixfortyfive

I think IGC is worth the price of admission alone on PSN.

But yeah, if you already have a PC, why not save yourself $400. I'm sure even though PS4 will be the standard everywhere, it won't be that much different.
I mean, I'm already going to have to be looking into a replacement laptop in the future. My current one is literally falling apart, and I want something robust enough to be able to stream at least 720p60 reliably with all the bells and whistles. Might as well bump up the video card enough to handle games well while I'm at it if it lets me cross off another console purchase.

I have 11 different consoles hooked up to my TV at the moment, dating back to the NES. Legacy is important to me and I'm just soured at how "disposable" modern console gaming seems to be becoming. When I think of how my NES library is likely going to outlive my XBLA library, or how so many discs are going to be coasters once you can't connect to the server to download the patches or DLC anymore, I just wonder what the point is. At least on PC it's easier to circumvent those issues when those days come.

I'm adamant that PC is terrible for tournaments, but it seems like a no-brainer for the individual user.

Sixfortyfive

Only thing that concerns me about SF5 is the general speed and feel of the game, tbh. It doesn't look any faster or slower than SF4 to me at a glance, but that's not really a good thing for me because SF4's mobility and feel is the main thing that keeps me from getting back into that game. Every time I pick it back up for a moment, I walk or dash around and then immediately go flaccid. I respect the game a lot but I just can't get into it when it just doesn't feel satisfying at a basic level. New mechanics look interesting though.

EDIT: ^ Oh geez.

Clawww

Via the gameplay thread in gaming:

So mesmerizing.

it looks fucking great, especially that low block. this is going to be gorgeous on top of stuff like uppercuts snapping onto chins and stuff

I can't wait to see other character's blocking animations and stances and everything

even the bulldogging/shimmying looks fucking good because they've animated things with player actions like that in mind.

Rainy

Banned
oh my god at that picture.

Also I just watched the momochi ryan hart match holy shit at that comeback in the last round.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Only thing that concerns me about SF5 is the general speed and feel of the game, tbh. It doesn't look any faster or slower than SF4 to me at a glance, but that's not really a good thing for me because SF4's mobility and feel is the main thing that keeps me from getting back into that game. Every time I pick it back up for a moment, I walk or dash around and then immediately go flaccid. I respect the game a lot but I just can't get into it when it just doesn't feel satisfying at a basic level. New mechanics look interesting though.

EDIT: ^ Oh geez.
I think this is what hurts SF for me prospectively. Everything is great but when the characters get to walking or dashing, it's like they put Goku's weighted training boots on.

Some characters in Marvel 3 can feel sluggish as fuck walking too, but the air game is much more expanded and they can compensate in ways SF characters can't.

I guess I'm anime.

Dlent

While we're on this topic, I might as well post PR Balrog cosplaying Juri.

NT8cDvX.jpg

Congratulations on upsetting everybodies brackets.

Especially Capcom's

Dahbomb

I started this page from the bottom half going up. Saw the girl in red bikini and did the wrestlingheadnod.gif until I saw the face then I was like WTF....

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
He said that instead of Marvel at Evo they should hold 2 SF tournaments

Now I'm really getting ticked off that no one is taking Marvel seriously anymore.

Justin may have lost his neck, but he's still got dat smokin' body...
OIpTt2x.jpg

Smidackkkkk
Did I do it right TLE-senpai?

While we're on this topic, I might as well post PR Balrog cosplaying Juri.

NT8cDvX.jpg

Congratulations on upsetting everybodies brackets.

Especially Capcom's

Wow.... Its uncanny.

thread urging me to repost Viscant as a Suicide Girl

enzo pls, i dont need nightmare fuel...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think going forward *knock on wood* if I get into grad school, I'll need something better than this sub-720p Lenovo laptop with a shitty trackpad, and perhaps something that can handle a graphics tablet as well. Gaming laptops seem pretty excessive to me though, and even though I see people going HAM on League and stuff, I much prefer a separate, larger monitor/TV + keyboard.

Even still, I think I might go console version of SFV, given that there will be a physical option.

vulva

So on the bracket stuff, it seems the paper bracket they used in person had the slots where folks go to losers swapped compared to the form that they used online. That's why the matches went they way it did instead of how the online showed it. That isn't surprising at all actually.

https://twitter.com/Slash5150/status/544018690077777920

I didn't really think it was a big deal to begin with, since it's not like it changed a whole lot. Not only that but checking twitter, I didn't see any whining from Ryan Hart or PR Balrog. I think everyone made it seem like a way bigger deal than it really was.

It was ridiculous seeing people act like the tournament lost validity because their home bracket didn't reflect what was being shared among the people at the venue.

Top Bottom