• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

Where are the receipts on these "leaks"?

I guess someone that knows french will have to watch his show to see if this is real or not.

Japanese fiscal year starts April 1st so i'm guessing they will release SFV sometime then.(2016 obviously)

Both Ken Bogard and whoever is leaking information to him are complete idiots.

I feel like Ken Bogard's leaked stuff usually true. Didn't he leak a bunch of stuff for ultra like red focus and delayed wake up?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Maybe the gem lets charlie be charlie and not blanka?
I don't have a clue as to what the SF lore is in any of the games... Is Charlie really Blanka?

I don't know if it's just placeholder or actually part of the OST, but the SF5 music we heard in the live match last night has been stuck in my head all day.

Its the only reason I've rewatched the trailer so many times, its so climatic.

Skab

I don't know if it's just placeholder or actually part of the OST, but the SF5 music we heard in the live match last night has been stuck in my head all day.

Same here, I highly doubt it's placeholder.

It was him? I remember some cellphone print-screens with the info, that ended up being all true, but I don't know if it was him

I don't remember specifically but I do remember him leaking something related to Ultra.

Why are people acting like Daigo himself struggles against Sim, like he's the only Ryu that struggles against him? It's the character matchup. All Ryus/E Ryus get bodied by Sims. It's historically been tough for shotos. In fact, Daigo usually gets the closest to winning in matchups vs Sim. Just look at all the hype matchups he has had against Art, Champ, Iyo, and YHC Mochi.

It also doesn't matter if Xian hasn't played Sim in a while or if Champ doesn't play as much SF4 anymore. Sim users have that understanding of how to play vs shotos. It's the same with Daigo and Ryu vs any other shoto. His understanding of that character goes a long way.

Xian was smart to pick Dhalsim. Daigo was fucked from that point.

Rhapsody

Banned
It would be kind of neat if Just Defends were used to push the opponent back a little further.

Then again I guess it would suck if you didn't want to input one.

Malice215

Daigo should have switched to Yun. Even if Gen DOES beat Yun, it can't be worse than Dhalsim versus any shotos not named Akuma.

Maybe if the tournament was 3/5, Daigo could have went with that first game. 2/3 in a high pressure situation doesn't allow for much leeway, and if it doesn't work out, then you are down a game, so I don't fault Daigo for sticking with his main character that he feels the most comfortable with.

is sony going to throw another 500k for the 2016 capcom pro tour as well? is that when sf5 is meant to be released?

There's a placeholder date out there. I always assumed that SF5 would come out in 2016 since USF4 was going to come out on PS4 in 2015, and it wouldn't make sense to have them both come out in 2015.

I would also assume that Sony would support the tour for when SF5 comes out because it wouldn't make sense for them to put so money into USF4 and help get SF5 off the ground and not help market SF5 through the tour in 2016. As for how much money, who knows. I'm just excited to see where this goes because Sony being on board opens the door for other companies to get involved, and hopefully the support trickles down to bigger events and players being able to travel to more tournaments.

Horseress

About that, let's compare

aazxm8.gif

This is probably just defend. Notice how Chun recovers fast and doesn't have any pushback from the punch

Now a regular block

KzDjGb.gif

Chun clearly doesn't recover fast and has a pushback

So it's definitely not a regular block, it's some new feature

CO_Andy

Would of liked to have seen Xian pick Sim against Momo.

Most of those SF5 rumors don't sound too far fetch.

One more year of SF4 until Cap presses the reset button :)

Dahbomb

About that, let's compare

aazxm8.gif

This is probably just defend. Notice how Chun recovers fast and doesn't have any pushback from the punch

Now a regular block

KzDjGb.gif

Chun clearly doesn't recover fast and has a pushback

So it's definitely not a regular block, it's some new feature
Inaccurate comparison.

First of all the block in the second gif is also a Just Defend. There are blue sparks in there but it's hard to tell because the quality is a lot worse. If you want to see some regular blocks look at Mike Ross's Ryu as most of the time he was not doing Just Defends. So the comparison is basically Just Defends vs Just Defend.

Secondly, you are comparing different moves with different frame advantages and properties. The move in the 2nd gif might simply have more block stun than the moves in the 1st gif. So you would need a gif comparing same moves with Just Defend vs regular defend.

fader

it definitely seems like it has pushback if thats the case im all for it since everything chips now this can help quell dudley-style rushdowns

although the pushback could be from the fact that its a stronger normal

Dahbomb

You build meter in SF by blocking.

It's probably just blocking.
Nah there's a definitely a difference in effects. I wish I had a good gif maker to show this because there's definitely regular blocking and then the blocking with the blue sparks.

Like I said people don't actually know what Just defending does, the increase EX meter gain is just a theory of LI Joe.

Dahbomb

First time I noticed how Ryu's, say, close roundhouse here, actually goes behind her head instead of just pushing him back
It's not just that it goes behind her but she has a different blocking animation for it as compared to her blocking the jump in. It's a big step up in that department for a SF game which has used fairly static blocking for a long time. I wonder if there are other block animations in the game.

Also the hit reactions are pretty amazing too. When Ryu does the punch and it connects on counter hit... you KNOW it's real!

petghost

Banned
On the topic of daigo and counterpicking: it's not like he is a stranger to the concept...he played st at a high level. He had a great boxer as well. He goes through 3 different characters in this set with choi trying to find an answer for o. Sagat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbMllTeLTR0

dno what it is about sf4 that makes him wanna stick to one character only.

It's not just that it goes behind her but she has a different blocking animation for it as compared to her blocking the jump in. It's a big step up in that department for a SF game which has used fairly static blocking for a long time.

Yeah, she actually kinda moves her hands above/behind her head to protect her. You never really got that kinda thing in other Street Fighter games, its always high block and crouching block no matter if its a jump-in or a close roundhouse.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah there's a definitely a difference in effects. I wish I had a good gif maker to show this because there's definitely regular blocking and then the blocking with the blue sparks.

Like I said people don't actually know what Just defending does, the increase EX meter gain is just a theory of LI Joe.
There isn't a difference in effects, if you're comparing the first GIF there to the second. It's also consistent across the live gameplay. The bluish-white spark is clipping through the character in some cases so it doesn't look the same, but it's there. Not only that, but when you have to examine something that close that otherwise looks consistent.. I think it's a good indicator when the visual difference isn't significant enough to be functional in gameplay.

I've yet to watch LI Joe's analysis, but so far the only evidence I see for a Just Defend mechanic is a difference in sound effects (which also could just be for overheads). This is kind of like before when there wasn't enough information and people sort of concluded guard breaks were a universal mechanic.

smurfx

get some go again
i want an mma type fighter to be in sf5. it will probably be somebody from brazil. would be cool if they had a sakuraba lookalike.

tumblr_n5t6j4JXkH1rvmd07o1_400.gif

I think the choice to go for more detail in the animations, environments and models is a smart move. It looks already 100 times more expressive than SFIV ever did.

The environmental gags are a much better answer to the humour question.

i want an mma type fighter to be in sf5. it will probably be somebody from brazil. would be cool if they had a sakuraba lookalike.

Call him... DM Bunk.

Just defends could give you a myriad of advantages. It could let you out of blockstun earlier, give you more meter, negate chip, etc. It can be whatever capcom wants it to be. But there is definitely a new blocking mechanic.

Dahbomb

There isn't a difference in effects, if you're comparing the first GIF there to the second. It's also consistent across the live gameplay. The bluish-white spark is clipping through the character in some cases so it doesn't look the same, but it's there. Not only that, but when you have to examine something that close that otherwise looks consistent.. I think it's a good indicator when the visual difference isn't significant enough to be functional in gameplay.

I've yet to watch LI Joe's analysis, but so far the only evidence I see for a Just Defend mechanic is a difference in sound effects (which also could just be for overheads). This is kind of like before when there wasn't enough information and people sort of concluded guard breaks were a universal mechanic.
I am saying there is no regular blocking in both of those gifs shown.

If you watch the match video again there is a clear difference in how Mike Ross is blocking and Combofiend is blocking. Combofiend is doing way more Just Defends than Mike Ross.

Shito

As French guy, I can tell you Ken Bogard is usually VERY WELL informed. He knew quite a few things in advance, and the french scene usually has their sources when it comes to SF. It's a 2016 game (I've also heard that specific info), so things can change, but I take his words with quite a lot of trust.

Also, just took a lot at the upcoming patch notes: nerfing Poison's life, oh you Ono, you never change...

Top Bottom