• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 8-14 | Sony pleads the FiF

Also worth noting that chun takes some chip damage off of that s.MP(?) At the end of the bottom Gif.

Chips off of normals? We MK now?
I think Ono stated this explicitly, and I think it is a great idea. Though I wonder how he will balance it against characters meant to turtle and poke. Imagine if Vega did chip on his normals right now.

mbpm1

I think Ono stated this explicitly, and I think it is a great idea. Though I wonder how he will balance it against characters meant to turtle and poke. Imagine if Vega did chip on his normals right now.

I don't think I could handle all that Rose chip

psshh whatevs y'all mofos just hatin
vegatron_by_bosslogic.jpg

Sigmaah

I aint gonna front, I thought that shit was parries as well. Niggas tryna talk about he wants views and shit, WHAT UP WITH THE HATE MY DUDE?

casperOne

I know you're all breaking down the SFV clip. I've yet to go into it (and I'm sure the conversation will carry over into next weeks thread), but I'll catch up soon enough.

That said, will comment on some stuff I saw in the Capcom Cup/$500K threads:

The thirst will be real at all the CPT events this year. I expect to see more International players to attend US events.

I didn't think of the impact on the tour events, but it's going to be palpable. They should bring on Sprite as a sponsor for how thirsty people are going to be. It's going to be fantastic to watch.

You want a shot at the Cup at the end of the year? Winning Evo is going to give you a guaranteed spot and more than likely, top seeding. Every event that offers points is going to be super-relevant.

No, you don't only pay top 3- that leads to tons of collusion.

At those prize levels, it's a losing proposition to collude unless those that you're colluding with understand the tax implications and are willing to partake; if you split it evenly before taxes, then the person winning may get in a hole depending on the split.

It's not impossible, but I'd be a lot less likely to collude; even in ranking events, especially since I'd expect Capcom to be deadly f'n serious about making sure no one does this on any level of the Tour given the attention that the Sony partnership is bringing to the table.

vulva

My biggest hope is more events being given point opportunities. Imagine if a sizeable amount was given to a Toronto event, it would be even more likely to have players from not only the US but maybe europe or asia to a Toronto tournament to try to score some points here. Would be a great opportunity for smaller scenes like our own to get more experience while offering something of benefit to those who travel here.

casperOne

My biggest hope is more events being given point opportunities. Imagine if a sizeable amount was given to a Toronto event, it would be even more likely to have players from not only the US but maybe europe or asia to a Toronto tournament to try to score some points here. Would be a great opportunity for smaller scenes like our own to get more experience while offering something of benefit to those who travel here.

I don't disagree; the thing that has to be balanced out is making sure that the general skill level of the tournament is weighed against the points offered. Otherwise, you'll have top players getting freeish points from tournaments that don't attract as much talent as other tournaments do.

Oh, and I forgot to follow up with the congrats from you and your GF, thanks!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Do you think the 500k makes evo a less important sf tournament than cc going forward?

Not really, it'll still be a Capcom Pro Tour Event with the possibility of getting the most points out of all the events if that's how it ran this year. Also, it'll still got some money from Capcom while Capcom Cup will be through points and not everyone can enter for that retirement fund,
I kid.

vulva

I don't disagree; the thing that has to be balanced out is making sure that the general skill level of the tournament is weighed against the points offered. Otherwise, you'll have top players getting freeish points from tournaments that don't attract as much talent as other tournaments do.

Oh, and I forgot to follow up with the congrats from you and your GF, thanks!

Yeah, like if Sanford came up to Toronto for some weird weekly tournament and stomped it, then nothing is proven. But if like Toronto had one BIG tournament that was enough to attract something like 10-12 well recognized and traditionally high placing players then it gives a fair balance to the point while giving our local scene something to get excited over.

I know I don't stand a single chance at winning the big Sony money in this tournament, so I'm trying to look at how it can benefit and grow other scenes. This was the first thing that came to mind.

When it comes to time constraints at next year's Capcom Cup, is it out of line to suggest that winners should be ft3 while losers is ft2?

When it comes to time constraints at next year's Capcom Cup, is it out of line to suggest that winners should be ft3 while losers is ft2?

single elim ft7, imo

I guess it wouldn't necessarily be fair if 500k is on the line, but I think long sets is the best way to play high level street fighter with a small player pool

Balb

This sounds like a copout but it's worth experiencing the best games on both platforms. If you can't afford both, you should buy one, play all of the games you're interested in, then sell it for the other platform. I couldn't imagine not playing Persona 4 Golden and Super Mario 3D Land.

vulva

This sounds like a copout but it's worth experiencing the best games on both platforms. If you can't afford both, you should buy one, play all of the games you're interested in, then sell it for the other platform. I couldn't imagine not playing Persona 4 Golden and Super Mario 3D Land.

uhhhhh alright

Do you think the 500k makes evo a less important sf tournament than cc going forward?

No. Evo has history and the venue is huge so it offers a lot of prestige. Look at how SBO was looked at before the last 3 years. Despite it being single elimination and offering crap money, it was still looked at as prestigious. Maybe in a couple of years it will be looked upon as greater, but Evo is king right now.

At this point Evo, Topanga League, and Capcom Cup offer the most prestige. All offer a good amount of money and all offer an extremely high level of play. They all differ in format. Evo is an open bracket tournament, Topanga has long sets which many people feel is the best way to determine the strongest, and Capcom Cup offers the most money.

Whoever wins these tournaments gets a boost in their reputation compared to every other tournament.

smurfx

get some go again
wrong thread?

whoisthisnikka

Haha, wtf?

Look at how SBO was looked at before the last 3 years

Man, it really is depressing how far SBO has fallen. That shit was like a dream come true a few years ago. Now it's just:
Sbo.png

The issue is that they've already established the hot spots around the world/US to hold premiere events. It's going to be tough convincing Capcom that the annual Toronto major deserves it more than Final Round or SCR. Even if they create more Premiere events Toronto or any Canadian city would have a very hard time winning the bid since they're probably judging it based on the strength and size of the event.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

bwZoQFU.png

Edit:

Enzo, FGW title has to have $500k in it or riot.

FGW | $500k in the bank and we still can't do brackets

smurfx

get some go again
evo will still be the big tournament but i can see many players blowing all their yearly evo money traveling to different tournaments to earn points for capcom cup.

kirblar

The issue is that they've already established the hot spots around the world/US to hold premiere events. It's going to be tough convincing Capcom that the annual Toronto major deserves it more than Final Round or SCR. Even if they create more Premiere events Toronto or any Canadian city would have a very hard time winning the bid since they're probably judging it based on the strength and size of the event.
The only way to fix it is really to move to a 32 man bracket again, which I'm not sure they want to do.

Top Bottom