• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 9-15 | Mikrotransaktions™

shaowebb

Just figured I'd throw out a fun classic question here to close out the old weekly thread.

What franchise have you always hoped would get a fighting game made after it?
and to keep it interesting...no mentioning MVC4, TVC sequel, or Marvel vs DC because those are givens.

Feel free to post single franchises, vs games, or company vs company...whatever. Its kind of a dry spell right now for fighting games so what sort of things would excite you to have announced?

Avatar the Last Airbender (+Korra) by CyberConnect2
RWBY by Arc
Metal Gear the fighters
Platinum making a 2D fighter (possibly the above, or a crossover of their characters)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Just figured I'd throw out a fun classic question here to close out the old weekly thread.

and to keep it interesting...no mentioning MVC4, TVC sequel, or Marvel vs DC because those are givens.

Feel free to post single franchises, vs games, or company vs company...whatever. Its kind of a dry spell right now for fighting games so what sort of things would excite you to have announced?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Capcom vs Capcom. Kappa

In all seriousness though, seeing Capcom vs Square Enix would make me the happiest person in the world. Square with their wealth of character and Capcom with their quality fighting game engines.

Kimosabae

Banned
I feel like it's more about a person's character than his or her interest in fighting games. If someone half-asses fighting games (go in and push buttons), I bet the rest of that person's life is half-assed, too. It's a reflection of the kind of person you are. There are really two groups of people we want to address here:
1) People who want to get good, but don't know how, or don't even know you can get what we call "good".
2) People who just want to press buttons and "have fun", whatever the hell that means.

I'm skeptical that it's even possible to reach group 2. It's like asking how to get people who exclusively enjoy Visual Novels into fighting games. It just isn't who they are and what they care about.

I'm inclined to agree, Kars, but the cult of self-responsibility, while satisfying for my own ego, doesn't actually explain anything. Truth be told: I can be quite half-assing in things others could be quite passionate about. I haven't washed my car in 6 weeks. When I do, it's getting the basic rub-down. Could not care less about alcohol. Even more apathetic towards social gatherings involving the stuff. Yet, I can sympathize and understand that there are elements to these activities worth being passionate about that I'm not cognizant of.

I don't think it's impossible to reach group two at all. I don't think it's a likelyhood that we'll convert a large number of them over into actual players, but I'm confident you could get most people to support high-level play if they're presented the human side of it. That's really all it takes to change people's expectations of what the genre's really about and where they fit in.

People don't get discouraged from playing recreational basketball or football because professional leagues exist. In fact, it's largely the opposite. That's where I want to see fighting games in 10 years. You love your occasional game of Street Fighter even though you know you'll never be Daigo. And that's okay. Beating your friends and cheering Daigo on during an event is just as satisfying.

RWBY - ASW's 2.5D game is absolutely at it's Zenith and they'd make a stunning RWBY fighter. Luckily for ASW RWBY doesn't stress in between animation too much imo. It's full of fast paced transitions that could work with an animation style similar to that of GG.

Kill la Kill - Alex Ahad would probably give up one of his legs to make a KLK fighting game. The jiggling, punching, kicking and transforming would make Darkstalkers look like SF in comparison. Unfortunately they'd never finish the game because bloodloss would keep Mariel from finishing Satsuki and Ryuko.

I think Kongou Banchou and History's strongest disciple would also look awesome done by Lab Zero. The former would especially fit well with the thick black lines that LZG likes to use.

Kumubou

What physical debilitation do you have?
He has Kumuhands, chill out. :x

I've had similar issues myself, and I can't claim to have physical debilitation -- shit, at one point I could pass some 12s in Beatmania, and at that level of play the APM and dexterity required is far beyond what any fighting game demands. However, my execution is considered pretty bad -- although even then, it depends on the genre (it's way worse in 2D games than 3D games, for whatever reason).

A Pretty Cure fighting game done by Syn Sophia using some amalgamation of the Style Savvy and Def Jam:FFNY engines. :V

*runs from the party van*

Read from beginning to end. Fantastic write-up.

Dry spell? What? Between Smash and Xrd, I played 10 hours of fighting games yesterday. Maybe it's a dry spell if you only play games for a month and then quit, but I feel 100% satisfied in my fighting game habits right now.

I'm inclined to agree, Kars, but the cult of self-responsibility, while satisfying for my own ego, doesn't actually explain anything. Truth be told: I can be quite half-assing in things others could be quite passionate about. I haven't washed my car in 6 weeks. When I do, it's getting the basic rub-down. Could not care less about alcohol. Even more apathetic towards social gatherings involving the stuff. Yet, I can sympathize and understand that there are elements to these activities worth being passionate about that I'm not cognizant of.

I don't think it's impossible to reach group two at all. I don't think it's a likelyhood that we'll convert a large number of them over into actual players, but I'm confident you could get most people to support high-level play if they're presented the human side of it. That's really all it takes to change people's expectations of what the genre's really about and where they fit in.

People don't get discouraged from playing recreational basketball or football because professional leagues exist. In fact, it's largely the opposite. That's where I want to see fighting games in 10 years. You love your occasional game of Street Fighter even though you know you'll never be Daigo. And that's okay. Beating your friends and cheering Daigo on during an event is just as satisfying.
No one is perfectly thorough in all aspects of their life. I have never washed my car - I just don't give a crap if it looks pretty. I don't think there is a lot of overlap between people who put their spare time into improving their aesthetic surroundings and people who put their spare time into studying frame data. People have their specialities.

I think that, to truly grow, fighting games need to appeal to various natures. Stream monsters, as horrid as they are, are the people above who love drinking socially. They just want to "be part of the group", which means throwing away their individual ego and getting lost in the crowd. The only way they could get into fighting games is if everyone else were already into it. Even then, they are happier watching the game than playing, because watching the game makes them feel awesome, and playing the game makes them feel like losers. The same basic logic applies to most football spectators.\

If you want to attract the "car washers", then you need to do something that makes fighting games appealing to people who love aesthetics over anything else. Maybe character fashion options...?

I don't think we can fix this stuff, though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kill la Kill - Alex Ahad would probably give up one of his legs to make a KLK fighting game. The jiggling, punching, kicking and transforming would make Darkstalkers look like SF in comparison. Unfortunately they'd never finish the game because bloodloss would keep Mariel from finishing Satsuki and Ryuko.

This is what dreams are made of.

Read from beginning to end. Fantastic write-up.

Dry spell? What? Between Smash and Xrd, I played 10 hours of fighting games yesterday. Maybe it's a dry spell if you only play games for a month and then quit, but I feel 100% satisfied in my fighting game habits right now.
It isn't so much a dry spell as it is platform fragmentation. It's gonna get rough for Xbone owners and PC owners are probably just scratching their heads at Japanese companies. PS4 owners are laughing all the way to EVO lol.
This is what dreams are made of.
Imagine three star Goku uniform Mako...

Man, they could make her a charge based grappler with stances and I'd still main her.

Rhapsody

Banned

I want a real Namco X Capcom that's a fighter.

im@s fighter would be cool too for kicks...

Kimosabae

Banned
I would shit my pants if ASW x Capcom happened.

image.php

Exactly.

mbpm1

If you want to attract the "car washers", then you need to do something that makes fighting games appealing to people who love aesthetics over anything else. Maybe character fashion options...?
More people would be playing Tekken Tag 2 if that were the case.

alstein

I just thought of this today, and a bit of system idea. A Falcom-Fighting All-Stars game, mostly Ys and Trails chars, with Mail as a secret boss.

Would play more like a SamSho game, but with some chaining in-close with light attacks, and S-Boost for your super gauge, and Boost as a drive meter from KOFXIII equivalent.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Im@s vs LL...
do it pls

I'm not anime enough to know what this is... Care explaining? Plus hearing Mike Ross talking about people recommending him Love Life had me dying at ep 2 of excellent adventure with jwonggg. That anime is trash.
Let the insults begin.

It isn't so much a dry spell as it is platform fragmentation. It's gonna get rough for Xbone owners and PC owners are probably just scratching their heads at Japanese companies. PS4 owners are laughing all the way to EVO lol.

Man, they could make her a charge based grappler with stances and I'd still main her.
Fragmentation insinuates that people are spread across platforms. This is unification: if you want to play fighting games this generation, you buy a PS4.

More people would be playing Tekken Tag 2 if that were the case.
It has to look good. TTT2 looks like crap, and even in T7, the characters look like they're having seizures while moving around. It's ridiculous that a major series can be animated that poorly in 2015. Even MK9 isn't that bad.

alstein

I don't think things are hopeless on the PC side of things. If PS4-PC crossplay works well, that's going to help a ton, and Capcom's going to want to pull that off. If that happens we'll see more ports to PC.

Rainy

Banned
I'm not anime enough to know what this is... Care explaining? Plus hearing Mike Ross talking about people recommending him Love Life had me dying at ep 2 of excellent adventure with jwonggg. That anime is trash.
Let the insults begin.
Im@s= idolmaster, franchise of video games that focused on managing idols, also had a pretty popular anime a few years back.
LL= love live, anime from the last year or two that focuses on these girls in hs becoming idols to save their school.
And now this thread became way too anime.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Im@s= idolmaster, franchise of video games that focused on managing idols, also had a pretty popular anime a few years back.
LL= love live, anime from the last year or two that focuses on these girls in hs becoming idols to save their school.

lol, i know pretty much 90% of the anime's that come out regularly, just seeing the acronyms threw me off since im not on threads or forums for anime. manga all the way!

Azure J

This one is so easy for me.

Soul Eater. Free.

Meisters as fighters. Weapons as freely selectable weapons/Arcana like assists. Pairing a meister with their canon weapon grants access to their own Vampire Saviour "Dark Force" like mechanic that can be anything from passive buffs (Noah making the stage a page out of the Book of Eibon), to stage control (Deathscythe Soul's piano strings), to unlocking a different ability (Black Star using Tsubaki's multiple demon weapons) or true to canon power up/super (Death the Kid using the Sanzu Lines). Normie characters just get access to crazier things (Medusa trolling with Vector Plates; Mifune getting his Field of Swords). Maybe some of the corrupted monsters as your "big guy" characters. Soul Resonances (complete with theme music) as your Anime™ insta-kill like maneuvers.

"Evolved" Vampire Saviour style fighting engine.

Hyper colorful but very clean visual design. (The series lends itself SO well to this.) Soundtrack by the guys responsible for the show's best songs:

Psychedelic Soul Jam
Harmonize
Mifune
STEP UP
BANG BANG BANG BANG
salva maria ~peach be with you~

And main theme by T.M. Revolution.

Soul's Resonance
Soul's Crossing

10/10 GOAT.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Ys by arcsys

Kimosabae

Banned
Kars, you seem to be conflating "aesthetics" and "herd mentality" into something I can't fathom.

In any case, I'll replace "aesthetics" with "spectacle" and I think FGs have plenty of that to offer. They just need to be better understood by the average person which swings us back to my original points. You generate that desire to understand by showing the human side of FGs more.

Kumubuo:

I don't understand. If you know you possess the adroitness to accomplish tasks you deem more dextrous than FG stuff, what is specifically stopping you from excelling at FG stuff?

Kars, you seem to be conflating "aesthetics" and "herd mentality" into something I can't fathom.

In any case, I'll replace "aesthetics" with "spectacle" and I think FGs have plenty of that to offer. They just need to be better understood by the average person which swings us back to my original points. You generate that desire to understand by showing the human side of FGs more.

Kumubuo:

I don't understand. If you know[/I you possess] the adroitness to accomplish tasks you deem more dextrous than FG stuff, what is specifically stopping you from excelling at FG stuff?

I thought I clearly made them distinct subjects by writing two paragraphs about them, and discussing two distinct ways to bring each group into the fold. My apologies if it wasn't clear, but my intention was to strongly separate them.

Car washers were supposed to be aesthetically-oriented individuals. They might like character fashion options.

Social drinkers were supposed to be the "herd mentality" you mentioned. They like watching streams and spamming stream chat with whatever got said 30 seconds ago for some unknown reason.

I do agree that FG "personalities" are important. Anth0ny mentioned this in his Melee write-up. People love rivalries and such. It's great for the spectacle aspect.

P4A needs to branch out into all of MegaTen

So that's why I haven't been posting

Dahbomb

I would be all over a fighting game that features characters from various action games:

Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Kratos, Nariko, Gene, Sieg Warheit, Shinobi, Samanouske, War/Death, Bayonetta etc.

Of course this would never happen so I would settle for a Berserk fighting game. The franchise has enough characters to make a fighter out of.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I would be all over a fighting game that features characters from various action games:

Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Kratos, Nariko, Gene, Sieg Warheit, Shinobi, Samanouske, War/Death, Bayonetta etc.

Of course this would never happen so I would settle for a Berserk fighting game. The franchise has enough characters to make a fighter out of.

Arcade only in Japan if it ever happens lol

The shrub trips people (think of it like a banana that doesn't despawn when someone trips on it, only when it runs out of time), and the fully-grown tree hurts/knocks back people that attack it directly.

Fuck

If Evo uses customs I know who I'm running with

I really wish Nintendo didn't make custom skills so hard to get, lol. I really like that in Smash 4.

Makes me wish they, even at the least, made a Tournament mode with all the customs unlocked and the process to equip them super streamlined

Kimosabae

Banned
I thought I clearly made them distinct subjects by writing two paragraphs about them, and discussing two distinct ways to bring each group into the fold. My apologies if it wasn't clear, but my intention was to strongly separate them.

Car washers were supposed to be aesthetically-oriented individuals. They might like character fashion options.

Social drinkers were supposed to be the "herd mentality" you mentioned. They like watching streams and spamming stream chat with whatever got said 30 seconds ago for some unknown reason.

I do agree that FG "personalities" are important. Anth0ny mentioned this in his Melee write-up. People love rivalries and such. It's great for the spectacle aspect.

okay, i gotcha, bud.

Top Bottom