• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 9-15 | Mikrotransaktions™

Shouta

I don't really mind doing Smash runs for them myself. Let's me get used to basic game controls more but having them all unlocked and ready for tourney would really be nice. The variety of skills could really make things interesting in the long run.

TWILT

Banned
Just figured I'd throw out a fun classic question here to close out the old weekly thread.

What franchise have you always hoped would get a fighting game made after it?
and to keep it interesting...no mentioning MVC4, TVC sequel, or Marvel vs DC because those are givens.

Feel free to post single franchises, vs games, or company vs company...whatever. Its kind of a dry spell right now for fighting games so what sort of things would excite you to have announced?

Hmm, off the top of my head, I'd honestly really like a proper and deep Naruto fighting game. I mean don't get me wrong, the Ninja Storm games are fun and extremely flashy, but they always felt too shallow and button mashy. I don't know who I'd have make it, but maybe Arcsys. I dunno, the Naruto franchise has a lot of potential especially for characters like Gaara.

I also like Azure J's Soul Eater answer though.

I don't really mind doing Smash runs for them myself. Let's me get used to basic game controls more but having them all unlocked and ready for tourney would really be nice. The variety of skills could really make things interesting in the long run.

Yeah, I've been doing Smash Run for all the customs for characters I care about, and then I transfer them over. God I wish Smash Run was in the WiiU version. Smash Tour is complete garbage.

Yeah, I've been doing Smash Run for all the customs for characters I care about, and then I transfer them over. God I wish Smash Run was in the WiiU version. Smash Tour is complete garbage.
I usually respect developer intent, but someone really needs to smack Sakurai upside the head for not bringing Smash Run with online play, selectable final events, and a shared map over to the Wii U version. I would play the hell out of that.

WarRock

Just figured I'd throw out a fun classic question here to close out the old weekly thread.

and to keep it interesting...no mentioning MVC4, TVC sequel, or Marvel vs DC because those are givens.

Feel free to post single franchises, vs games, or company vs company...whatever. Its kind of a dry spell right now for fighting games so what sort of things would excite you to have announced?
If this were a fighting game instead of a SRPG...

Compbros

One Piece or YuYu Hakusho.

CurlyW

Redwall or The Muppets

Zissou

On teaching players/growing the competitive community: I don't think tutorials will make a difference as far as expanding the size of the community. However, I do think that better and more complete tutorials can/do allow people already in the community to play more games, so while the total number of people at a tournament might not change, individual games could see a rise in entrance numbers due to people entering for multiple games. I know at least for me personally, time is the major limiter on how many fighting games I can play. When the quality of information available to me is poor and/or the information I need is extremely difficult to find, it takes me a lot longer to get to a decent level in a given game. Now, I'm learning Guilty Gear as Xrd seemed like a good entry point into the series, but even with a fair amount of information out there, it's still far from an ideal learning situation. If I could travel back in time to teach myself what I know now, I could get myself to my present level in a third of the time.

Getting more people into the community in general is far more difficult to do (at least deliberately- natural organic growth is always hapening, of course). If there's something I've learned working as a teacher, teaching the unwilling is very nearly pointless. The teaching effort in that kind of situation becomes more "sparking enough interest to spur self-motivation" and doing that has little to do with what people assume teaching should be (conveying knowledge well, finding ways to help students understand something, improving their ability level, etc.).

On teaching players/growing the competitive community: I don't think tutorials will make a difference as far as expanding the size of the community. However, I do think that better and more complete tutorials can/do allow people already in the community to play more games, so while the total number of people at a tournament might not change, individual games could see a rise in entrance numbers due to people entering for multiple games. I know at least for me personally, time is the major limiter on how many fighting games I can play. When the quality of information available to me is poor and/or the information I need is extremely difficult to find, it takes me a lot longer to get to a decent level in a given game. Now, I'm learning Guilty Gear as Xrd seemed like a good entry point into the series, but even with a fair amount of information out there, it's still far from an ideal learning situation. If I could travel back in time to teach myself what I know now, I could get myself to my present level in a third of the time.

Getting more people into the community in general is far more difficult to do (at least deliberately- natural organic growth is always hapening, of course). If there's something I've learned working as a teacher, teaching the unwilling is very nearly pointless. The teaching effort in that kind of situation becomes more "sparking enough interest to spur self-motivation" and doing that has little to do with what people assume teaching should be (conveying knowledge well, finding ways to help students understand something, improving their ability level, etc.).
Zissou, I didn't know you are teaching in Japan! Question: what is the typical student home life like over there? I ask because, over in Colorado, I find that ~50% of my students are from broken homes, and I spend as much time dealing with that stuff as I do teaching. Actually, I would love to know about your experiences teaching there in general.

Infinite

Disney princess fighting game

Tokusatsu all stars fighter

Zissou

Zissou, I didn't know you are teaching in Japan! Question: what is the typical student home life like over there? I ask because, over in Colorado, I find that ~50% of my students are from broken homes, and I spend as much time dealing with that stuff as I do teaching. Actually, I would love to know about your experiences teaching there in general.

I will go into more detail at some point (on my phone presently), but the school situation is strange in Japan. I taught in public schools for a long time, but now I work freelance, so I've seen the system from many perspectives. Of course, my experience is still a small(ish) sample size and it's in just one region of Japan, so take everything with a grain of salt.

In my experience, in the U.S. (at least what I remember from my own childhood), schools always have a mix of students with different backgrounds (depending on region, the ratios can vary wildy) and the way schools tend to deal with this is separating students into classes based on their motivation and ability to focus during class. Motivated students are put into honors classes or things like that- they are ready to learn and are put into a situation where they can do so. Kids who aren't ready for this kind of thing are put in 'regular' or even 'remedial' classes. Teachers of those classes have to focus more on socializing students rather than 'educating' them in the traditional sense. I feel like every teacher knows this, but institutionally, you're supposed to still do the traditional education thing, so it's difficult to out and out say "the point of this math class is student socialization!" It seems like an open secret? I dunno.

In Japan, honors classes and that sort of thing don't really exist (or are least FAR less common than in the U.S.). Because everyone just gets lumped together, you can't really have a class that addresses the students who are already motivated- if you do, the students who need socialization tend to make class difficult to do, so class kind of has to cater to the lowest common denominator. School at the elementary and junior high school level becomes 100% about socialization (even if it is an 'open secret' that nobody would publicly acknowledge). Because of this (actual meaningful teaching of 'normal' school subjects being basically broken within normal schools), the existence of jukus (after school private cram schools) is necessitated. Normal school is for socialization. Juku is for book learning.

This is not necesarily true in High School- since students have to apply and takes tests to get into high school, difficult to enter schools basically function as an 'honors' class of sort, since every student there must've been a socialized motivated student to get in in the first place.

Home life, good or bad, is often defined by kids being raised by a single parent (I fully respect single parents, please don't misconstrue this comment!) because the work culture of Japan necessitates people giving up everything outside of work for the the sake of their job. Women becoming housewives is still very very common, so kids are raised by the their mom and the school system and the dads are often not around much. It's also not unheard of for a father to work/live in separate place while the mother and kids live elsewhere and just recieve checks every month supporting them.

I don't know if I answered your question, but I'd be happy to elaborate on anything that caught your interest. I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody else with experience teaching in Japan chimes in with their thoughts.

I will go into more detail at some point (on my phone presently), but the school situation is strange in Japan. I taught in public schools for a long time, but now I work freelance, so I've seen the system from many perspectives. Of course, my experience is still a small(ish) sample size and it's in just one region of Japan, so take everything with a grain of salt.

In my experience, in the U.S. (at least what I remember from my own childhood), schools always have a mix of students with different backgrounds (depending on region, the ratios can vary wildy) and the way schools tend to deal with this is separating students into classes based on their motivation and ability to focus during class. Motivated students are put into honors classes or things like that- they are ready to learn and are put into a situation where they can do so. Kids who aren't ready for this kind of thing are put in 'regular' or even 'remedial' classes. Teachers of those classes have to focus more on socializing students rather than 'educating' them in the traditional sense. I feel like every teacher knows this, but institutionally, you're supposed to still do the traditional education thing, so it's difficult to out and out say "the point of this math class is student socialization!" It seems like an open secret? I dunno.

In Japan, honors classes and that sort of thing don't really exist (or are least FAR less common than in the U.S.). Because everyone just gets lumped together, you can't really have a class that addresses the students who are already motivated- if you do, the students who need socialization tend to make class difficult to do, so class kind of has to cater to the lowest common denominator. School at the elementary and junior high school level becomes 100% about socialization (even if it is an 'open secret' that nobody would publicly acknowledge). Because of this (actual meaningful teaching of 'normal' school subjects being basically broken within normal schools), the existence of jukus (after school private cram schools) is necessitated. Normal school is for socialization. Juku is for book learning.

This is not necesarily true in High School- since students have to apply and takes tests to get into high school, difficult to enter schools basically function as an 'honors' class of sort, since every student there must've been a socialized motivated student to get in in the first place.

Home life, good or bad, is often defined by kids being raised by a single parent (I fully respect single parents, please don't misconstrue this comment!) because the work culture of Japan necessitates people giving up everything outside of work for the the sake of their job. Women becoming housewives is still very very common, so kids are raised by the their mom and the school system and the dads are often not around much. It's also not unheard of for a father to work/live in separate place while the mother and kids live elsewhere and just recieve checks every month supporting them.

I don't know if I answered your question, but I'd be happy to elaborate on anything that caught your interest. I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody else with experience teaching in Japan chimes in with their thoughts.
All of this deeply interests me. I was hanging on your every word! Any time you want to tell more, even in a PM, please do not hesitate to do so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On my way home ATM, vote and shizz.

Will accept earlier votes but it doesn't seem like there have been many suggestions.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I really wish Nintendo didn't make custom skills so hard to get, lol. I really like that in Smash 4.

Please do explain, I don't have a Wii U, team poverty over here.

I would definitely main Satan.

lol, nah man, I'd main Jesus Resurrected ver. So OP man...

On my way home ATM, vote and shizz.

Will accept earlier votes but it doesn't seem like there have been many suggestions.

FGW | To custom moves or to not? That is the question.

AAK

I always wanted a Devil May Cry fighting game:

dante_vs_nelo_angelo_by_dantefreak-d3d7577.jpg

I remember having my mind racing when they had that image in the special edition. But honestly now I'm tired of the mass 2D games out there. I'd only be interested if it's a legitimate 3D fighting game.

It has to look good. TTT2 looks like crap, and even in T7, the characters look like they're having seizures while moving around. It's ridiculous that a major series can be animated that poorly in 2015. Even MK9 isn't that bad.

First of all: Only people who will see Backdash Cancelling is people using it in tournament. Casuals will never know it exists.

Second: It looks the same way any cancel does in a videogame. It's just that Tekken has many cancels every second for it's movement.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
They're random unlocks and you have a chance of getting the same moves multiple times

It's awful

Your kidding right? I mean, can't Wizard speak to Nintendo on this and they can make a patch? Its a first party game so I'd doubt it'd waste that much time or money.

Your kidding right? I mean, can't Wizard speak to Nintendo on this and they can make a patch? Its a first party game so I'd doubt it'd waste that much time or money.

We could only hope that something like that could happen. It would just depend on if Nintendo wanted to/could get a team for it (as far as I know the team working on Smash 4 isn't even together since it was a mix of Sora peeps, Sakurai, and Namco peeps).

It's sorely, sorely needed though.

Rainy

Banned
FGW I Everyone has Xrd now, right?

this!

Also I always get bopped in 1v1 smash4, I still suck but take everything in stride. The online is always a blast to play win or lose, considering I just got the game a little while ago.

Is Lucina considered a good or bad character in this game? Or in the middle? Regardless I use her the most because I love the character, and she's kinda fun to play with. Robin and ZSS are a lot of fun for me too.

Zissou

All of this deeply interests me. I was hanging on your every word! Any time you want to tell more, even in a PM, please do not hesitate to do so.

Since we're well outside the scope of this thread, maybe PM is the way to go? I'm happy to answer any questions you might have- I could go on about this stuff for quite a while, haha.

Fragmentation insinuates that people are spread across platforms. This is unification: if you want to play fighting games this generation, you buy a PS4.
Yeah, somehow I flipped the terms on their heads.
I don't think things are hopeless on the PC side of things. If PS4-PC crossplay works well, that's going to help a ton, and Capcom's going to want to pull that off. If that happens we'll see more ports to PC.
Maybe

I'd be happy just to get crossplay versions of ASW, French Bread and Examu's stuff. Oh, and toss in Soulcalibur for the 3D fix. Capcom and SNK definitely aren't going backwards on the PC port front.
FGW I Everyone has Xrd now, right?
Me and Busaiku are still waiting for our Parasols and Yoyos.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
We could only hope that something like that could happen. It would just depend on if Nintendo wanted to/could get a team for it (as far as I know the team working on Smash 4 isn't even together since it was a mix of Sora peeps, Sakurai, and Namco peeps).

It's sorely, sorely needed though.

Aren't you hollywood now Smedwicks? Talk to Wizard as our representative and see if he can talk with Nintendo. Fight the good fight!

Also, Dlent's title it will be. I still don't have Xrd, I can play it at my weeklies.

『Inaba Resident』;152259509 said:
Sale is ending in a day and I still can't decide if I want JoJo.
I've heard the online is dead but its $20 and I fucking love JoJo

They're making a new one

Just wait for that

Top Bottom