• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 12-18 | DaiGOAT

Riposte

Are you joking? Because I can't tell.

Part of the reason I don't play Xrd as much is because the lobby system is bad imo. Why can't I just choose "quick match" and play? I have to enter a lobby and hope there are people playing with the same rules I am. I know it's almost the same thing, but not quite.

I like Street Fighter 4 system. Quick match, and even choose the skill of my opponent. I also liked Soul Calibur 4 online system.

Nope. I really like Xrd's system. My only big issue with it is that you can't start speculating when a match already started (which means you are sitting in a menu, killing the atmosphere they are aiming for), but I assume that's a pretty complicated thing.

Honestly, I had just assumed ranked has quick match making. I've yet to try it though lol.

I thought he's talking about the whole list and how full of Nintendo games it is, Bayonetta sure as hell didn't win GotY based on sales. Though I agree with Gaf in general, 2014 have been a really shitty year outside Nintendo.

GAF is stupid then. There's almost never a truly shitty year (I should make a thread about that) and the great games didn't just belong to Nintendo. That sort of thinking only makes sense if you read about games instead of playing them. For example, you have an Xrd avatar, I assume you played and like the game (maybe more than Smash?), yet you act like it doesn't exist. I bet the people saying that are too, but I'm not sure sure what's your excuse. Now apply that to all sort of thinking to the CRPGs that came out, also strategy games, smaller Japanese stuff Crimzon Clover or Gunhound EX, etc. I'm going to assume you are already disappointed with stuff like Wolfenstein TNO, Dark Souls II, and The Evil Within, so I won't argue about that, but for me it's easy to find a lot of good games no matter the budget and region.

Anth0ny

zero has been fucking murdering people in smash 4 with diddy

got DQ'd into losers for playing too many casuals when the bracket was going, went try hard mode, just got like 10 straight two stocks on his opponents. hasn't dropped a stock and I've been watching for 30 minutes.

losers finals now

Preliminary apology. Long ass fuckin post. :p

Much <3!!! You coming to Lima bro? Lemme know and maybe we can arrange something, what games do you play?

Maybe you can understand the joke we had when JWong and ChrisG came to play and we said "yeah, it's right at the start of our national anthem: We're FREE!!!"

SOOOOMOS LIIIIIIIIBRES. Hahaha that's some funny shit man.

But shit my bad yea I phrased that wrong. I meant I'm going back home to see my family here in California. Haven't been back to the motherland in years. Actually, my brother and I are trying to save up money to go back there next summer so I'll most def hit you up if we do!! And I play any and everything under the sun. If dat shit's a fighting game I'm on the muthafuka!!!

we got more spanish speaking people on this thread than i thought, represent gorilla! even though im dominican its great to see another spanish speaking person in the FGC, off and online.

Yo YAMS.....you quickly rising up the ranks in ma book breh. Keep on holdin it down.

6b07457e064292118ec42f5872cf58cf.jpg

That dog looks like it just took some Ayahuasca.

2169924-kappa.png

Godlike.

Anth0ny

Zero's Diddy is on some next level shit right now. Reminds me of M2K's MK back in the early Brawl days. He's the best player using the best character at its highest potential right now, and he looks unbeatable.

I can't see him losing Apex.

Sayad

GAF is stupid then. There's almost never a truly shitty year (I should make a thread about that) and the great games didn't just belong to Nintendo. That sort of thinking only makes sense if you read about games instead of playing them. For example, you have an Xrd avatar, I assume you played and like the game (maybe more than Smash?), yet you act like it doesn't exist. I bet the people saying that are too, but I'm not sure sure what's your excuse. Now apply that to all sort of thinking to the CRPGs that came out, also strategy games, smaller Japanese stuff Crimzon Clover or Gunhound EX, etc. I'm going to assume you are already disappointed with stuff like Wolfenstein TNO, Dark Souls II, and The Evil Within, so I won't argue about that, but for me it's easy to find a lot of good games no matter the budget and region.
I voted Xrd my game of the year, but it might have been on another forum! Not sure. ;p
My list was Xrd as the best, followed by DS2, MGS:GZ and Evil Within in whatever order. Now when I say it have been a bad year, it's because:
- Xrd came two weeks before the end of the year
- I enjoyed DS2 a lot but it was still a disappointment based on what I was expecting from it
- As much as I loved MGS:GZ, I was done with it in a single weekend
- Evil Within was a mix bag of excellence and awfulness, I loved it, but there's still a lot to criticize about the game.

Even though I enjoyed these games, there's a bit of disappointment attached to them.

So as it turns out, I'm logged in on my work laptop. I still don't know my password though so I'll still need those changes, Shouta.

Anyways, thanks for some of the kind words a few pages back.

My job doesn't give me any days off, I am technically on call on weekends and cannot leave my home city. I have vacation days scheduled that will allow me to go to a few tournaments this year. Since KOF13 is unlikely to be part of any lineups I'm mostly just going to have fun and meet old friends.

Settling for online play is why I'm drifting away from fighting games. It's just not the same as playing with a person you can talk to, or at least a person you know isn't screwing around. I'll just stream other stuff for awhile and hope SF5 is a game I can get behind.

Westlo

*looks @ Eventscrubs usf4 rankings*

Daigo #1 and Momochi #3 Dafuck?

Momochi did better than Daigo in Evo, Capcom Cup, Taito Station Nationals and Japan National Tournament Isshuu Sengeki Cup.

Was second to him in Topanga and was only a choke away from winning his set vs Daigo. (what a match)

Didn't need to try and qualify for Capcom Cup via the events Daigo won because he run through one of the hardest losers brackets ever in SEA Majors...

5 of the same tournaments, did better in 4 (1st vs 9th, 7th vs 48th, 7th vs 9th, 7th vs 9th) and worse in a single one (2nd vs 1st).

Winning SEA and coming 2nd in CEO > those two Capcom Tour Asian events.

Wasn't invited to to the Canadian series, sorta like how he didn't get an invite to Topanga World even though he was 3rd and ahead of Daigo in the previous japanese topanga league....

Or maybe didn't want to go... lol louffy 2nd...

Settling for online play is why I'm drifting away from fighting games. It's just not the same as playing with a person you can talk to, or at least a person you know isn't screwing around. I'll just stream other stuff for awhile and hope SF5 is a game I can get behind.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I can relate to that thought.

I've been working a full time job for close to seven years, and I only really get to play fighting games two weeks out of any given month. Most tournaments fell on weeks that I work, and my shift does not allow me to take time off, so I just eventually fell off of being super competitive. I still very much enjoy fighting games, but I pretty much play casually now. I do play online occasionally, but I still
very much enjoy playing side by side with somebody else in person.

Most folks in my state who really enjoy fighting games live very far away, and I don't have a driver's license. I'm due to get one soon, and when I do, I at least want to take a couple of days a month to drive out and play games with those of whom I really enjoyed playing with.

Welcome back, by the way.

where do you live?

United States, Utah. I haven't gotten my driver's license yet simply because Utah's public transport has been able to get me to where I need to go for the past seven years; I've been using it to get to work and back, as there's a bus line that takes me directly to work and back home. Even when I get my license, I'll still take the bus to work most days.

Relating this to fighting games, getting to casual events/tournaments via public transport was often more trouble than it was worth. Even if I took the bus or train to get to said events, I would still need rides, and I eventually didn't want to have to rely on other people giving me a ride. So, I saved up for a car, bought a car in mid 2014 and have been learning to drive when I'm not working. I'm getting a driver's license now to save time, and to be able to do more things I want to do on my own time.

I'm very close now. Just need to practice parallel parking, and I can take my driver's test.

Alright now that I'm unbanned, I can talk about my CECC experience this weekend.

Friday. Had work, in the morning but was planning to head to Toronto afterwards.. except I woke up feeling awful. Still had to go to work tho. I get there and notice something isn't right. Something was wrong since I woke up. My head was killing me. I took two Tylenol's and 30 minutes later.. still feeling like ass. It got so bad I went into a meeting room and tried to sleep on a floor TURRRIBLE feeling. Anyway that was my first migraine, on tournament day :(. Went to the hospital and got checked out, everything was okay, I might've gotten a concussion earlier that I wasn't even aware of and everything. still was trynna hit up that team tourney tho.

By 7pm I wasn't 100%, but I was about that "lets stare at TV monitors for 3 more hours cause that'll help" life.

When we got there, I didn't even know it was 3v3, I thought it was 2v2. So we picked up Angry JPG
No. 1 Balrog on XBL
and we went on.
Anyway, team tourney starts and the classic happens, I OCV the first team
I know I'm the GOAT
, then we had to face ItalDan's team. Cousin lost to SacoJericho the Elf player. I play him and barely won
tybased Delayed wakeup
. Proceed to get bopped by Italdan and we lost there. Then we beat another team, then we had to face K-brad's team on stream.

I have no idea how Noel Brown wins his matches, but eventually all my health was just gone. I don't eem know how, fuckin pokes.

Anyway we eventually lost, I played a lot of matches on those monitors and eventually got used to the timing on the screens.

Tournament day 2 at the science centre, I thought it was supposed to start at 10am like on the schedule.. shit ended up starting at like 12:30pm. I had like a 23 win stream in casuals etc etc, warming up. Tournament starts, I play a Sakura (I should mention, not a soul in there knows the Elena matchup), I win my first match. Second match is vs Riceata. :( :( :( :(

I thought he'd go blanka, but he chose Decapre first. I beat his Decapre then he brought out da honda. I didn't know he had a honda. :/. Personally Honda crushes Elena because of those headbutts through mallet smashes.. so I lost that match quick, then I decide to bring out DA DEEJAY.

brehs. I was so close to winning. So. FuCKING. CLOSE. He didn't know the Deejay matchup at all. We were down to the last round, barely any health on both sides.. I'm slowly walking myself into the corner.. then decide to do a mk.Sobat to push myself out the corner.

...............................................................................................
......got handsxSuper'd and lost. heartbreaking. ;_;7. Dude made it all the way to winners finals and I was so fuckin close. ;__;.

Next two matches are these two random guys I think I played in casuals, they were alright but no matchup knowledge = EAT THESE MALLET SMASHES NIGGUH, then I face mr. Robertson.. same dude who knocked me out last tournament with Honda.

actually tried Rose out too but no shot. ;_;

tl;dr FUCK EDMOND HONDA.

Shoutouts to Onieda (sp?) spoke with him a bit there. Would've tried to see AAK but didn't want to ask every Tekken player who was who.

fuck e honda fuck e honda fuck e honda fucky honda fucky honda fucky honda

gutabo

fuck e honda fuck e honda fuck e honda fucky honda fucky honda fucky honda

Welcome back!!! :D I missed your reactions gifs.

Breh, you play Dee Jay, you should know better. He owns Honda and no Honda
except Viscant
knows that matchup so they were your matches to lose.

Momochi did better than Daigo in Evo, Capcom Cup, Taito Station Nationals and Japan National Tournament Isshuu Sengeki Cup.

Was second to him in Topanga and was only a choke away from winning his set vs Daigo. (what a match)

Didn't need to try and qualify for Capcom Cup via the events Daigo won because he run through one of the hardest losers brackets ever in SEA Majors...

5 of the same tournaments, did better in 4 (1st vs 9th, 7th vs 48th, 7th vs 9th, 7th vs 9th) and worse in a single one (2nd vs 1st).

Wasn't invited to to the Canadian series, sorta like how he didn't get an invite to Topanga World even though he was 3rd and ahead of Daigo in the previous japanese topanga league....

But he's Daigo so if he's not #1 eventscrubs comments would go nuts

Daigo is ahead of Momochi on SRK's rankings as well, and that's just a point based ranking for how well they've placed at recent events. (Louffy is #1 since Evo is worth a ton of points).

I think Momochi is #1 right now too, but I think it's pretty close. Daigo is also on a pretty impressive run right now. He's won the Asia finals, Topanga A League, and Canada Cup Masters Series. All round robin format ranging from FT3s to FT7s.

I assume the Topanga League is also a big factor, not just because he won, but how he won. Momochi came in 2nd and was almost as impressive as Daigo in the final stage, but Daigo was dominant throughout the tournament. He went 10-1 in the ft3 portion of the event and although Momochi was the one to beat him, Momochi was 6-5 in that portion of the tournament. Daigo was clearly the dominant player in Topanga League. I mean apart from Momochi almost every player looked hopeless against Daigo.

iqd6ElgzFAOT1.gif

I still think Momochi is #1 though.

Their rankings aren't just based on results. Their is also perception of skill and probably the most important part, popularity. Why else would Sako be in the top 10 despite participating in only a few tournaments in 2014. I can't argue with what you wrote, Momochi is probably more deserving of that #1 spot based on results alone but the fans love Daigo more and his recent brilliant performances in long set tournaments was enough for them to keep him at #1.

Malice215

I would put Momochi at #1 because he's had more impressive showings at bigger events.

Point based rankings should be used as a guide, but they also skew on the favor of those who compete at alot of events and don't take into account who someone had to play in tournament. That's why there needs to be some logic behind where you place people so there can be some actual meaningful debate.

I would like to know why Sako ranked at #5 when he's been to less than a handful of events, but it's clear that people put are placing more weight on popularity, perceived skill and invitational tournaments which play to Daigo's strengths as a player versus open tournament placings.

But Momochi, Daigo, and Luffy are the top 3 right now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I know I'm not reading about people questioning Daigo being the #1 fighting game player in the world.

Can't be.

And I still love that even though Honda sucks as much as I love him, people still fear him.

Like I believe he's seriously bottom 5, and has only gotten worse and worse to where he is now, but he still has that aura about him. Love it.

I know I'm not reading about people questioning Daigo being the #1 fighting game player in the world.

Can't be.

And I still love that even though Honda sucks as much as I love him, people still fear him.

Like I believe he's seriously bottom 5, and has only gotten worse and worse to where he is now, but he still has that aura about him. Love it.
#1 fighting game player =/= #1 Street Fighter player.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Point based rankings should be used as a guide, but they also skew on the favor of those who compete at alot of events and don't take into account who someone had to play in tournament.
I don't normally comment on these sorts of lists, and this is basically why.

The results are always more of a "who's known" list than "who's good." This sort of stuff only really works in closed professional leagues where every player/team is at every event.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
#1 fighting game player =/= #1 Street Fighter player.

Oh he's definitely the #1 Street Fighter player. Who else would be in all of Street Fighter but Daigo?

Nitpicking aside, looking at the whole picture not just his results, I'd still have him as the best SF4 player. If Daigo was the type to counter-pick matchups or stick to top tier, the game would be a wrap. Attitude-wise he should be what other players should strive to be like.

DaiGOAT.

Oh he's definitely the #1 Street Fighter player. Who else would be in all of Street Fighter but Daigo?

Nitpicking aside, looking at the whole picture not just his results, I'd still have him as the best SF4 player. If Daigo was the type to counter-pick matchups or stick to top tier, the game would be a wrap. Attitude-wise he should be what other players should strive to be like.

DaiGOAT.

I think he means that just because Daigo is the best SF player it doesn't mean he's the best fg player.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

ma man, welcome back

Daigo ended up going 45-0 in the kumite. Last player was Blue Emblem who is a 5k pp guile.

Remember, its DaiGOAT.

never forget

i still love that pop off video where daigo was calling out justin.

The best overall FG player is Tokido with Justin and Ryan Hart following right behind him.

I'm probably in the minority but I think Latif is a really good player, top ten imo, even though he doesn't have as many accolades... However, that C. Viper says otherwise.

The best overall FG player is Tokido with Justin and Ryan Hart following right behind him.

I'll never agree with that. I put more emphasis on how good they were in the respective games they were competing in. Getting top 8 in multiple games is god like, but does not necessarily mean you were one of the best players at the game if a lot of the best players weren't competing in that tournament. For a lot of these scenes, Evo isn't the tournament where the best competition is. It's the best tournament in the US and the world recently for a lot of games, but not necessarily the best if the best scene is overseas.

Blazblue is one of those examples. Is Evo the hardest tournament for that game when Tokido got top 3? No. A lot of the best players didn't travel to those tournaments and is why Tokido didn't get that placing in Gods Garden or SBO. The last tournament at evo was a higher level than the previous years because more of the best players flew out this time. KOF13 is a game where I believe Tokido was one of the elite players compared to his blazblue standing.

Besides, it's like people forget that Daigo didn't get top 2 in 4 games at 1 Evo before or that Daigo didn't compete in multiple games before the SF4 era.

Again, I prefer crowning someone as the best fg player by most achievements either through being the best player for a game or being one of the top players able to take a tournament in tournaments where the level of play was the highest. For Daigo that is practically every game he competed in. You can't say the same for every game Justin, Ryan, and Tokido competed in. I would rather count games where those 3 were one of the absolute best players in.

edit: That's just how I view it. Others see it differently.

Top Bottom