• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 6-12 | Nothing Happened HD Remix

Just to give some of my interactions about Divekick. One gaming buddy said it looked stupid. I played with my brother over the holidays, he said it was funny, then he said it was boring and we stopped playing after a little bit. Just my personal mileage about this.

ismk

The FGC drama doesn't even stop during the holidays :lol I'm so lost about everything except for Remix passing away.

Just to give some of my interactions about Divekick. One gaming buddy said it looked stupid. I played with my brother over the holidays, he said it was funny, then he said it was boring and we stopped playing after a little bit. Just my personal mileage about this.

Played some too over the holiday with my bro in law. We played about 30 minutes and liked it but then went to MvC2 trying out fun team combinations instead. UMvC3 was less competitive so we didn't play as much.

alstein

I'd be up for some ST on GGPO too. Always fun to go back to simpler times.

In regards to execution, I think a huge reason the ST crowd deliberately shat on HDR was because Sirlin changed inputs to make them more consistent/logical. They didn't like losing their competitive advantage.

Despite Skullgirls having some elements of high execution, I don't mind it, because the inputs are 99% logical and consistent.

If Mike Z got to redesign the input system (and the input system only) for SF4, the game would have ended up much better.

My big issue with Divekick is that the game seemed really imbalanced and char select screen dominated things. Think it got a little bigger than it should have been.

In regards to execution, I think a huge reason the ST crowd deliberately shat on HDR was because Sirlin changed inputs to make them more consistent/logical. They didn't like losing their competitive advantage.

I thought it was mainly because of Sirlin's balance changes, which were dumber than a kick to the dick. Either that or the horrible art. Simplifying motions was a welcome change in my book.

vocab

Id be fine with the easier inputs if Dp's weren't so good in that game. Buffing Ken's dp to barely be punishable was a joke. Also, when gief can do standing 360's on command due to easier input it makes that character ridiculous.

It was the balance changes though, and honestly the attempt to balance akuma was ....ya.

My biggest problem with the game is the speed. It made the fireball game even stronger. It's a little too fast for that games pace and mechanics.

Kioshen

What Beef said in a nutshell ...

I thought it was mainly because of Sirlin's balance changes, which were dumber than a kick to the dick. Either that or the horrible art. Simplifying motions was a welcome change in my book.

Despite Skullgirls having some elements of high execution, I don't mind it, because the inputs are 99% logical and consistent.

If Mike Z got to redesign the input system (and the input system only) for SF4, the game would have ended up much better.

Curious at what you find high execution in SG but yes ZMotion was designed in good taste with just enough input shortcuts to help but not get in the way. Spinning the stick and not get a jump is awesome.

My big issue with Divekick is that the game seemed really imbalanced and char select screen dominated things. Think it got a little bigger than it should have been.

The game is pretty balanced to be honest if you remove very few lol worthy match-ups. It emphasizes match-ups much more heavily than other fighting games because there's barely any execution barrier (except some particular techniques). You just need to know them better because you can't get away with shenanigans or dropped combos.

Beckx

I thought the biggest issue with HDR was the god awful new art.

I totally get what you're saying about MikeZ and inputs. SG is on the high end of complexity but I can do long combos in that game better than any other.

Ironically the roster bump in DK came from loketest feedback (either that or a preconceived notion that the public wouldn't bite for a version that wasn't a free flash game unless it had more characters, hello triple negative).

jbug617

Banned
LI Joe also said it's looking like ECT will fall in line with Japan's Golden Week. So Nemo probably will be able to make it out.

Nemo is getting all the monies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Divekick definitely has an image problem, and part of that is Keits'/IG's fault for sure, but I always kind of operated under the assumption that they don't give a fuck since they knew that the game wasn't gonna pull amazing numbers no matter what they did and there was one very particular demographic they could count on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nemo vs Bee for 10k at the end of march in Korea

Lap chi da gawd
why they gotta do Bee like that man

ibnC6KKGCNMVnD.gif

Divekick deserves an award for the least racist fighting game of the console generation. Its the only game to give a fair representation to Wolverines Skunk Bear and hard working single mothers (is she even married?).

Divekick deserves an award for the least racist fighting game of the console generation. Its the only game to give a fair representation to <s>Wolverines<s> Skunk Bear and hard working single mothers (is she even married?).

I could have sworn there was some article explicitly claiming Divekick was racist for "Kung Pao". Or it was one that complained about Mr. N being mean spirited, that also included a complaint about her.

I could have sworn there was some article explicitly claiming Divekick was racist for "Kung Pao". Or it was one that complained about Mr. N being mean spirited, that also included a complaint about her.

Just so you know, Kung Pao is a proud citizen of Outworld, you shouldn't be making fun of her manner of speaking and tacky dress style. They're racist for dissing Outworld culture.

And second, people mistake Mr. N as fat. He's not fat he's big boned and proud. You see him eating at the end of some victory poses because eating makes him happy. But you wonder why he is sad in the first place? He has a heart you monster. You should feel sorry if you brained someone with a divekick, if you don't, you're a savage.

I thought the biggest issue with HDR was the god awful new art.

I totally get what you're saying about MikeZ and inputs. SG is on the high end of complexity but I can do long combos in that game better than any other.
Same here

SG is the only game where I can do clutch 40 hit (not including inferno brigade because that is 70+) combos to close out a match and I can do it with three different characters (charge, stance and gappler) to boot.

Skullgirls perfectly emphasizes the key problem with execution in fighting games.

If the combos aren't overly hard to perform, they get too long.

If a game has very short combos, the ones that do exist and do the most damage are often difficult links.

Yes, you could play with fundamentals in the latter game, but eventually someone with fundamentals who can execute as well will beat you, making execution a requirement in the grand scheme if you aspire for success playing the game (and I have a few words to say on the idea of "success" at a fighting game that I'm working on).

Skullgirls perfectly emphasizes the key problem with execution in fighting games.

If the combos aren't overly hard to perform, they get too long.
Your general idea is sorta right, but you missed the mark. SG emphasizes how big a problem you can have on your hands if you're too lenient with your fanbase. Mike didn't tighten the IPS up enough for vanilla SG and people abused it to hell and back within half a year. The same happened with Double's HK hornet bomber and it still got changed even after he made a video showing different ways to get past it (which I sometimes use when fighting PeaDouble players now). The good part is how much player feedback Lab Zero is willing to take in so the balancing has moved at a lightning pace. Thank Jesus for steam patching and mindful devs. It's nice not having to deal with ASW style balancing. Humans simply don't have long enough lifespans for that.

The current IPS keeps things from getting out of hand a lot more than before and milquetoast dudes like me can still feel like pros (unless we run into a beast like Duckator or Elda online).

Me personally, I hate long combos. Makes the games boring alot times.

I don't mind links either, and I can't even do them all. I just think they are rewarding. Especially SF4 Ryu. Like, I drop alot of Gief links, and hit most of my Adon ones (both offline), but that is fine, I fucked up and it's my own shortcomings. It feels good getting them though. Just short 4 hit links. Awesome.

Busaiku

Divekick deserves an award for the least racist fighting game of the console generation. Its the only game to give a fair representation to Wolverines Skunk Bear and hard working single mothers (is she even married?).

Viper is a single mom.
Relius is a single dad.

Viper is a single mom.
Relius is a single dad.

Pfff, a human single mom. Viper isn't a Skunk Bear or representing her people, so she loses.

Relius is married. His wife is obviously still there. Yea she is a robot, but that's still less creepy than that lady who is married to a slide or the dude who consummated his love to a park bench.

The good part is how much player feedback Lab Zero is willing to take in so the balancing has moved at a lightning pace. Thank Jesus for steam patching and mindful devs. It's nice not having to deal with ASW style balancing. Humans simply don't have long enough lifespans for that.

Unless that fan feedback and lightning pace rebalancing and patching comes from NRS!
/s, maybe

nemo gonna get a late 10k christmas present. why keep upping the stakes when nemo would play you for 2 or 4k?

What makes Bee so confident against Nemo that he would put up 10k?? Unless Lap Chi is fronting the money....I hope at least this gets streamed so we can see the look on Bee's face when he gets blown out.

Correction, it's only if Nemo can make it to Korea for it. He doesn't know how work is gonna turn out until the day before from what he told me.

Nemo should just tell his bosses that he's about to take a bunch of people for a ride and make a ton of money.

Nyoro SF

lol watch Nemo arrive and have Bee haggle him down to 1k...

Nice reputation we've built for ourselves for overseas money matches

Vice

lol watch Nemo arrive and have Bee haggle him down to 1k...

Nice reputation we've built for ourselves for overseas money matches

Huh? Everyone else has money matched Nemo, and other Japanese plays, for the amount they agreed on. Only Fanatiq hit that, "$4,000? I meant $4,00 between me and Knives
8KExT.png
"

Ghazi

lol, Nemo can literally just drop playing in tournaments and just have money matches fund him for the rest of his life.

Top Bottom