• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 6-12 | Nothing Happened HD Remix

Silky

Banned
1240465-galacta_refurbished.jpg

i want galacta to be in the next Mahvel vs Cupcom

She's cute.

Blanket non-contributing statements from me aside, when you start deviating from SF2 style gameplay you start stretching the limits of what's considered a fighting game, since that game is The fighting game genre.

Gundam vs Gundam is pretty out there but most consider it within the umbrella. Other contemporary "competitive" games are stuff like Nidhogg, Samurai Gunn, Bara Bari Ball, Magical Beat, and Catherine, which share very much or very little with the SF2 definition of fighting game.
Maybe to middle aged people. Times are changing and we too shall be shaking our heads at the young whippersnappers.

lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator.

Oh, right. It seems so obvious now. I feel a bit embarrassed.

The argument here is that complicated systems enhance the skill gap in fighting games in a positive way and that the "LCD" folks want to remove them, harming the game. It's a strawman.

I don't think that's what Kimosabae was driving at. What I got from his response to Keits was that while the FGC wants more people to pick up fighting games and actually start playing them with other people, it also tends to flock towards fighting games with a certain type of execution barrier (usually games that use SFII-style inputs and commands as a base), a barrier that is fairly complicated for new players, and one which can turn some people away. This trend is exacerbated by the fact that a LOT of fighting game developers use SF-style inputs as their base and just make the motions and inputs more complicated or restrained (to the point where the lion's share of fighting games are very similar in terms of execution requirements, even when the gameplay mechanics are worlds apart), and it leads to where a lot of fighting games ended up last gen; it wasn't enough to just play and pay attention to your mistakes, you had to put in a lot of practice just to get good at moving around and keeping your inputs in check so that you don't end up whiffing moves or activating some sub-system or something. Some experimentation with inputs and execution requirements would go a long way in opening up the genre and the scene as a whole, but games that actually deviate from the norm instead of modifying it are few and far between, so execution continues to be a stumbling block.

If it was something like all that, I agree with him. If not, then clearly I've placed my heart on my sleeve and put words in his mouth.

Edit: Oh, he explained himself anyway. Pfft, figures. I need to take typing classes or something, because I always take too long to reply on stuff like this.

I don't think this statement is fair, or makes much sense. Brawl came out before the modern FGC blew up. It's understandable why the OG fighting game players from back in the day didn't give Smash much thought. I don't see that being an issue anymore, and I'm anticipating Smash 4 becoming an FGC mainstay (like, Smash will be on sp00ky).

Actually, EMP had some smash players back in the day, I'm pretty sure.

PC Chris certainly was EMP and Triforce and crew are seen in the Smash Bros documentary. I think Mew2King is EMP as well. Yipes and friends were front row and audible during the Smash finals at EVO (iirc).

I play a ton of games and am derp with execution so easier to play fighters are great for me and my friends. Some are skilled at fighters but others aren't so it's cool to have stuff like Soul Calibur, Smash, Killer Instinct and especially Divekick where we can find some common ground. This year looks to be big for minimalist arena stuff on console, like Sports Friends (w Baribari Ball, Hokra), Towerfall and Samurai Gunn so I'm excited for that. I especially love games like Melee and Marvel 3 that are easy to play but have tech in them that keeps them exciting and competitive for a long time.

soakrates

I think some degree of execution is necessary to achieve the right amount of specificity so that players do exactly what they want, when they want. This is the main reason shortcuts in SF4 piss me off and need to go away.

I don't mind learning and practicing optimal combos, just frames and the like, but I find that they are often just a distraction from the mind game aspects that make fighting games really interesting for me. I also find the pacing of games that emphasize shorter, moderate-to-high-damage combos much more enjoyable. Waiting for your opponent to finish a long, difficult combo just so you can play again is boring.

That doesn't address my premise: that the FGC expresses wants that their games cater to some LCD to foster adoption of the games they play. There's a reason why this discussion about execution barriers in fighting games comes up all the time in discussions regarding growth and acceptance.

That's too black and white of a definition for LCD. People want to feel like they've accomplished something, easily. Having combo heavy games are actually a part of that design. It's much easier to have someone learn a series of inputs than it is to get them to think critically about their play. And being able to pull off a combo can make you feel like a badass in a vacuum. That's important because people get bruised egos when fighting against other people. It's like having high BP points in AE online. You get those points for participation, not for having a high win rate.

I mean, when teaching others how to play fighters, what question do you think pops up first: learning combos or learning neutral? Combos. In fact, combos are the very first thing people ask about. I can identify with alstein about meeting lab monsters who have flash but they don't know how to actually play against people. I have had similar experiences.

Did you watch WCG AE2012? What did the uninformed commentators fixate on? Combos.

Clawww

PC Chris certainly was EMP and Triforce and crew are seen in the Smash Bros documentary. I think Mew2King is EMP as well. Yipes and friends were front row and audible during the Smash finals at EVO (iirc).

I play a ton of games and am derp with execution so easier to play fighters are great for me and my friends. Some are skilled at fighters but others aren't so it's cool to have stuff like Soul Calibur, Smash, Killer Instinct and especially Divekick where we can find some common ground. This year looks to be big for minimalist arena stuff on console, like Sports Friends (w Baribari Ball, Hokra), Towerfall and Samurai Gunn so I'm excited for that. I especially love games like Melee and Marvel 3 that are easy to play but have tech in them that keeps them exciting and competitive for a long time.

I love Samurai Gunn and I'm looking forward to getting Nidhogg and Towefall on PC. Those games are great and I love that they tap into many of the elements I love in fighters while also making it possible for me to play with my little brother or jump right into with friends.

But I couldn't pour thousands of hours into them or imagine large-scale tournaments for them. Those games have sacrificed some depth (or perhaps a certain kind of depth, one that I prefer) to get where they are.

Smash has definitely struck the balance between ease of entry and depth the best so far.

Keits

Developer
Because you're not leveraging those ideas for the vocal, tactless, and narrow-minded minority that doesn't appreciate the vision. You're creating these things because you believe in them. If you believe the ideas are good, delaying them due to criticism isn't just cheating yourself: you're cheating everyone. Didn't the mainstream gaming media love Divekick? Gotta be more of a pachyderm, man. This is the FGC. You know I know what it's like to be vilified by a portion of it simply because you believe in things (this is SynikaL from the SRK boards if you don't recognize the name or the avvy. Back when you did the 'SRK player highlights' you I was a front-page candidate at one point. The comments on that one were too good).

Yeah I know who you are :D

You are right, but I still have other projects I'd rather do first. Maybe one of my games will make enough money that I can actually hire a team to work on a 2nd project and speed this process up!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";96092299]Why would you want to make games for anyone but yourself?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I operate. My next project is a game I've dreamed about making for about 10 years.

I am not into the execution of combos and don't mind the shortcuts (it really does help the newcomers) but I am really into the spacing and areas characters commands. When you add meter or assists, it changes the areas of control you and your opponent command or you have to respect. I think UltraDavid put it best; its a strategy game of sorts.

Spacing, positioning your moves and making your opponent do what you want them to do is the best feeling when playing fighters. Its when your opponent changes and adapts is when it get interesting.

Tik-Tok

I have some big ideas but its going to take me 5 or 8 years to get to them honestly. I have a lot of projects I want to do before I try that, and to be totally honest, I already made one of the most outside-the-box fighting games ever, and look at how a huge portion of the community treats me and it. Why would you want to make games for people who act that way?

Well to be fair Keits, as much as your game was likely a labour of love for you, it's hard not to treat the entire thing as a bit of a joke when the games entire presentation seems to be centred around it being one.
In addition as soon as you create something and then show it to others, much less SELL it to others, you have to expect and be ok with any and all types of criticisms that may be directed towards it.

That doesn't excuse anyone treating you personally poorly though. Unless you're just a shitty dude :p

In all honesty though I would love to see what kinds of things you could cook up if you were making a 'serious' fighter. Get that UltraDavid dude on board.

Keits

Developer
Divekick IS a serious fighting game. It just isn't a "traditional" one. It is as serious a fighting game as Rufus is a serious character. The presentation has nothing to do with the gameplay.

My next project with One True Game studios is what I was talking about. I'm working on stuff at Iron Galaxy as well. Either way I'll ask Dave Lang to yell on video some more for you guys.

Tik-Tok

Divekick IS a serious fighting game. It just isn't a "traditional" one. It is as serious a fighting game as Rufus is a serious character. The presentation has nothing to do with the gameplay.

My next project with One True Game studios is what I was talking about. I'm working on stuff at Iron Galaxy as well. Either way I'll ask Dave Lang to yell on video some more for you guys.

The concept is based on making the only move in the game, a move that at the time of your creating dive kick had reached complete over saturation in the most popular fighting games of their time, and considered to be one of the shittiest aspects of the games.

You can't start with a joke and work your way in to what you want to be a serious fighting game and hope it all holds together.

Kimosabae

Banned
That's too black and white of a definition for LCD. People want to feel like they've accomplished something, easily. Having combo heavy games are actually a part of that design. It's much easier to have someone learn a series of inputs than it is to get them to think critically about their play. And being able to pull of a combo can make you feel like a badass in a vacuum. That's important because people get bruised egos when fighting against other people. It's like having high BP points in AE online. You get those points for participation, not for having a high win rate.

I mean, when teaching others how to play fighters, what question do you think pops up first: learning combos or learning neutral? Combos. In fact, combos are the very first thing people ask about. I can identify with alstein about meeting lab monsters who have flash but they don't know how to actually play against people. I have had similar experiences.

Did you watch WCG AE2012? What did the uninformed commentators fixate on? Combos.

Pretty sure I never "defined" "LCD", dude. I did, ambiguously, restrict the domain via the word "some" but the lowest possible common denominator would be every conscious and physically capable human being on the planet.

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything you posted here and I'm hard-pressed to find the actual point of mine you are contending.

Pretty sure I never "defined" "LCD", dude. I did, ambiguously, restrict the domain via the word "some" but the lowest possible common denominator would be every conscious and physically capable human being on the planet.

Honestly, I don't disagree with anything you posted here and I'm hard-pressed to find the actual point of mine you are contending.

Yeah I didn't read your prior post. Apologies.

alstein

Should/could we be hearing info about this soon? Also, PC port?

Tik-Tok

Welp. That post owned shit up.

GG.

Unless you read any of the comments in the links he provided where everyone says they people awarding those awards are fucking nuts for giving Divekick an award.

Or you try to get a match going with someone in your community, or god forbid online.

You are adorable.

It wasn't my intention to be a dick to you or the product you created, but if you're going to be smug about shit while complaining about how the community treats you and your game, well everything becomes sort of self evident then doesn't it?

Edit: Without any sarcasm or malicious intent I wholeheartedly congratulate you on simply putting in the work and making your idea for a game happen, and being awarded and recognized for your work.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Unless you read any of the comments in the links he provided where everyone says they people awarding those awards are fucking nuts for giving Divekick an award.

Or you try to get a match going with someone in your community, or god forbid online.

Comments? lol.

Let's use YouTube comments and stream chat as the measuring stick next time, k?

divekick public perception outside the FGC isn't very good tbh. My own friends (that don't play fighting games) thought it was a joke game.

I on the otherhand have no issues with Divekick.

edit

I know its quick and easy to dismiss comments. But I think comments provide an insight of what the public think. Atleast the public demographic. I mean its not really out of the question for the public to assume divekick was a game that took a day to make. Something about divekick gives this impression to people.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I have a lot of friends and groups I mingle with (TONS actually) and the general opinion amongst them is that Divekick is a fun game.

YMMV.

Call Kotaku

"Self-appointed king of FGC calls members sluts"

"If this is how they treat FGC members, just imagine any woman who wants to get into these things?"
"Meh, I just play Smash Bros"
"Keep buying Capcom $40 updates dumbasses lolol"

Keits

Developer
Wizard's vocabulary is very limited. He actually cannot use the word "hello", and he uses "SLUTS" instead.

Marz

The best part about Smash that sets it apart from 2D fighters is the offstage recovery and edge guard game. You can't get that anywhere else.

Top Bottom