• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jul 6-12 | Freuds Among Us

NEO0MJ

Yesterday's soccer match gave us one of the best .gifs ever. I hope I can use this in the evo thread.

d5MKiKK.gif

He's missing the spear of righteousness.

Stuff like that is why I do not like dizzy style stuns states in general. Dizzy combos just make it easier in my eyes to widen the gap till its nigh hopeless, or worse , make things into touch of death.

I'm on the opposite side. Stun states are great because it diversifies gameplay by creating an alternate win condition. Chasing stun while making yourself more vulnerable to reversals or letting your opponent's stun wear off so you can maintain a dominant position safely is a serious tactical decision.

In SFIV specifically, stun creates an interesting character dynamic. Dudley has a lot of issues in the neutral that require a unique set of skills in order to get initial hits compared to other characters. But because his average combo does around 400 stun he's rewarded for the extra work with the ability to end a round in 3 combos that lead into each other. Seth has high stun and a high level of options, but very poor stamina. So he's a character that relies on chaining low-risk, medium reward gambles that turn every other character into Dudley if he messes up.

If you remove the stun system from an evenly-paced game like SFIV you run the risk of somewhat marginalizing characters that don't rely on pokes and fireballs. Stun is an example of added complexity that does add healthy strategic depth to a game. It's a universal system whose impact is understood immediately and intuitively through actual gameplay. It's a great system.

Kalamari

Don't they have an Alpha 3 cab in their offices? Shame they don't make FGs, lol.

I don't know about Alpha 3, I think there is a Third Strike cab and some arcade sticks in their gaming room, if I remember correctly. So they do play fighting games, at least some of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eagle would be weird. 3 UK characters in a row? Eh..

Also these reveals seem pretty rapid fire, especially considering EVO is next week. I suppose we'll get a tease and some feature details and then have characters revealed at EVO.

I pray CapcomFighters at least records the panel if they don't stream it.

Azure J

I foresee gifs and vids...
XrCp4IM.jpg

Dante's s.M (when you see it...)

4MEF3pZ.gif

Marth's Up Tilt

SlDmemY.gif

The two of these just have cool looking attack arcs and I love that stuff visually. It also helps that the two characters get some really fun stuff off of it.

Makoto s.MP

Q4ty8c4.gif

I realize that as much as I'm a function over form type most times, I'm very easily amused by good animations. This brutish chick just standing her ground and telling everything from heaven and earth "no" with her fists is just the greatest. :lol

Elphelt c.S

POP BOTTLES ERRDAY

Johnny Glitter is Gold +R Edition

Been had money.

Skilletor

Also these reveals seem pretty rapid fire, especially considering EVO is next week. I suppose we'll get a tease and some feature details and then have characters revealed at EVO.

Seriously. 4 characters at TGS? Doesn't seem likely.

Sheroking

Well... E3, EVO and Comic Con are in pretty rapid succession. It's probably the reason we only got four characters in the first 5+ months after the games reveal.

Shouta

Anyone know when the Tekken 7 cabs will be showing up at the Round1 arcades? was there any dates released?

No Solid information yet, I think. the Round 1 up here in Seattle opened over the weekend though so hopefully before Evo. ;_;

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well... E3, EVO and Comic Con are in pretty rapid succession. It's probably the reason we only got four characters in the first 5+ months after the games reveal.
I suppose, but that was closer to the 1 per month average I expected. I expect some dryer months leading into Capcom Cup, though. Plus betas will hold people over during that time at least. And then again, it's still kind of up in the air how many characters we'll get, just seemingly more than 16.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
EVO Is next week already!?

PM me with all EVO information you want in the OT. Give me notables for any games not Capcom otherwise I will choose myself from the pools listing and there will be tears.

Beats

uh, so I'm making the OT for Skullgirls 2nd encore, but I can't think up a title so I need your help. Preferably not a variation of frauds among us lol.

Top Bottom