• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 29 - Jul 5 | Frauds Among U.S.

Realistically, it's matchups where they can react to fireball charge. Divekicks are a problem, as are charge characters that play aggressively against her.

Rhapsody

Banned
Didn't Latif win an EVO once? Sure there wasn't much Japanese presence then but still..

Lost to Fuudo in GFs

Edit: If you're counting other games, he won Accent Core in 09.

Edit2: I'm an idiot, I didn't see you responding to that quote about GG. lol (again, I shouldn't post in the morning)

Anne

Will America ever be good at Guilty Gear.

Yeah it's totally possible. I mean people like XAQshinor got that praise in +R. Again, if the smaller anime scenes were more interested in pushing comp stuff up front and a bit more pulled together it would be totally do-able.

Fuzzy just beat Infexious twice at SFO. USF4, Poision vs Hugo, WF and GF.

Cool matches. Infexious hit his spots but Fuzzy used the good matchup to his advantage.

Posting this just to bask in reflected Liverpool FGC glory for a few minutes.

Kumubou

Yeah it's totally possible. I mean people like XAQshinor got that praise in +R. Again, if the smaller anime scenes were more interested in pushing comp stuff up front and a bit more pulled together it would be totally do-able.
I always found those dynamics to be interesting, where different game communities can get vastly more or less mileage with a small group of people. I think part of it is that when the playerbase is that small, each and every player contributing (or not contributing) is a huge deal. I just think it's a little weird how American P4AU can be much more competitive whereas GGXrd players, even with its larger playerbase, isn't. I don't think it's a difference of when the games came out either -- P4AU came out what, 3 months earlier than Xrd? That's not insignificant but I don't think that explains it in and of itself either.

Sayad

Didn't Latif win an EVO once? Sure there wasn't much Japanese presence then but still..
Speaking of, Latif signed up for Xrd and he's in Nage's(top Faust) pool! Not sure if he actually play Xrd though, he signed up for Smash U too.

Fuzzy just beat Infexious twice at SFO. USF4, Poision vs Hugo, WF and GF.

Cool matches. Infexious hit his spots but Fuzzy used the good matchup to his advantage.

Posting this just to bask in reflected Liverpool FGC glory for a few minutes.

When people whine about how all SF5 characters have ways to fight projectiles, I think about Hugo vs Poison, Hugo vs Gouken, Hugo vs projectile characters in general.

THAT is what happens when you intentionally design some characters to be weak against projectiles.

No thanks.

Keep on doin' what you're doin' SF5.

I always found those dynamics to be interesting, where different game communities can get vastly more or less mileage with a small group of people. I think part of it is that when the playerbase is that small, each and every player contributing (or not contributing) is a huge deal. I just think it's a little weird how American P4AU can be much more competitive whereas GGXrd players, even with its larger playerbase, isn't. I don't think it's a difference of when the games came out either -- P4AU came out what, 3 months earlier than Xrd? That's not insignificant but I don't think that explains it in and of itself either.
Well then you just have to answer what you consider community, The major players that are interested in the game? There isn't that much crossover between GG and P4A so would be pretty easy to see if that supports your theory.

Or if you mean every person playing the game, then P4A is much better off than GG because it's easier to get into and has much better online play.

When people whine about how all SF5 characters have ways to fight projectiles, I think about Hugo vs Poison, Hugo vs Gouken, Hugo vs projectile characters in general.

THAT is what happens when you intentionally design some characters to be weak against projectiles.

No thanks.

Keep on doin' what you're doin' SF5.

Hugo has about four excellent ways around fireballs:

1. Clap
2. Jump HP
3. Super
4. His UOH move I can't remember the input for.

He also has the most life in the game IIRC, meaning he's punished the least out of any character for getting hit or being chipped by a fireball.

The dude suffers vs long range pokes more than fireballs.

mbpm1

Imo they're more situational than excellent. Super is great but needs meter, the rest are basically reads or can only be good at certain distances. He's still okay vs most fireballs, it's just upwards ones that hurt him bad.

ElTopo

Banned

1. Clap
2. Jump HP
3. Super

He also has the most life in the game, meaning he's punished the least out of any character for getting hit or being chipped by a fireball.

1: has startup. You need to predict they're going to do it or be at full screen and hope they chuck a slow fireball.

2: you need to make a read. You could say that about any character who doesn't have a special/whatever to go through fireballs on reaction.

3: takes 4 bars and that takes a while to build in SF4.

4: still has some startup, it gets him in but very slowly.

I'm fine with characters having anti-fireball shit.

Sayad

It seems to me that top players are concentrating on the games they feel more confident in, P4AU came out few months before Xrd but that's an update, the game have been out for few years now, and the version they're competing in isn't the version Japan is playing right now(correct me if this is wrong).

With Xrd, Japan had about a year head start and the gap is so wide that Kaz who dominated pretty much every US Xrd tournament he participated in don't think he have a chance at making top 8. For any top US player who play other anime games beside Xrd right now, concentrating on Xrd seems like a waste of time if they aim to place high, not to mention, winning it all.

Tik-Tok

GGS, man.

I really need to practice against grapplers. I don't think I took one round lol.

Two things I noticed were that whenever the situation reset back to neutral, if we were outside the range of our normals, I knew a fireball was coming immediately. It made it predictable and I could jump in and punish pre-emptively. Adjust the timing and spacing a little bit to make me guess when you're going to throw a fireball.

Also work on your anti-airs a bit. I know it's scarey when you're getting rushed down to commit to something but you pretty much have to. Trust the invincibility of your DP's and the spacing of the you AA normals.

Anne

It seems to me that top players are concentrating on the games they feel more confident in, P4AU came out few months before Xrd but that's an update, the game have been out for few years now, and the version they're competing in isn't the version Japan is playing right now(correct me if this is wrong).

The top JP Persona players coming over have all been playing console 1.1 to prepare for Evo. Souji as example, 2.0 footage of him stopped showing up a month or two ago as he's been playing console 1.1 with the others in order to prepare.

It's actually funny because some of the 2.0 play has suffered as there's a bit of a split of the top players being on 2 different versions.

P4AU is more than an update, but it was only a couple years after the original, meanwhile Guilty Gear has been out to dry for awhile. Plus Americans were already stronger in Persona due to other reasons at the time. I honestly think it's just the core Persona players are using the resources in front of them better and are more together when it gets towards the top tourney goers.

Two things I noticed were that whenever the situation reset back to neutral, if we were outside the range of our normals, I knew a fireball was coming immediately. It made it predictable and I could jump in and punish pre-emptively. Adjust the timing and spacing a little bit to make me guess when you're going to throw a fireball.

Also work on your anti-airs a bit. I know it's scarey when you're getting rushed down to commit to something but you pretty much have to. Trust the invincibility of your DP's and the spacing of the you AA normals.
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to incorporate them.
Ultra anyone? Most boring Sunday in a while.
Sureeeeeeeee
Americans do better in BlazBlue than we ever have in Guilty Gear.
Cuz BlazBlue is more fun.

1. Clap
2. Jump HP
3. Super

He also has the most life in the game IIRC, meaning he's punished the least out of any character for getting hit or being chipped by a fireball.

The dude suffers vs long range pokes more than fireballs.

Gouken, Juri, and Poison have been Hugo's absolute worst match-ups in USF4.
What do those three have in common? It's not long pokes.

All the "tools" you listed are great on paper. All I can tell you is try actually using them in the real world.

There's a reason Alucard immediately switched characters when Infiltration picked Gouken. All the "jump HP" and "dd+MK" in the world won't help you there.

ElTopo

Banned
Gouken, Juri, and Poison have been Hugo's absolute worst match-ups in USF4.
What do those three have in common? It's not long pokes.

All the "tools" you listed are great on paper. All I can tell you is try actually using them in the real world.

There's a reason Alucard immediately switched characters when Infiltration picked Gouken. All the "jump HP" and "dd+MK" in the world won't help you there.

I am bad at SF4 (I don't like the game at all) and am kinda' bad at Gouken and I even could beat Hugo and Gief with him.

I guess PC version is still where it's at for USF4.. They still need to fix the African Airport stage on PS4, you still get that footsteps sound glitch lol...

DunpealD

No offense, but at your level any character is your worst matchup. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I guess PC version is still where it's at for USF4.. They still need to fix the African Airport stage on PS4, you still get that footsteps sound glitch lol...

It's not a glitch, it's a feature! Best PS4 USF4 stage. They should include DIP switches for all glitches, like "invisible" Sonic Boom.
Also PS4 version is actually quite good outside of audio stuff.

You still playing Destiny?

I'm down for some Ultra if you have it for ps4
I'd be done for some ultra on PS4, or if you are gone others on PS4? psn:direct_quote. I need to get gud
not happening
... Also I need to get used to the PS4 pad, or switch to a stick..

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
these
"your new roommate is the last video game character you played as"
threads are making me sick

Top Bottom