• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Rhapsody

Banned
It'd be cool if Pokken would play more like Fate/Unlimited Codes rather than Tekken.

I want Gardevoir to be like Caster or something lol

So what exactly did they nerf hard with Rolento from arcade-> console. Do people think his arcade version wasn't as broken as people were making it out to be?

I'm expecting it to be babby's first fighting game

even more so than smash bros or marvel 3
I meant mechanically.

It'll probably be it's own thing. Or play like Naruto Ninja storm.
Looking at that Naruto image below your post, I can see it.

I suppose my creativity is limited when it comes to a "new style" of fighting games...I can't imagine what it could play like, haha. That said, they better not "tier" the Pokemon by canon strength.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I expect "sick" reaction vids from you & Simmons tomorrow ; )

benny3sf2y.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey Max, are you able to get into E3 as media?

Also, I agree, this might just be secret best E3 for fighting games.

So what exactly did they nerf hard with Rolento from arcade-> console. Do people think his arcade version wasn't as broken as people were making it out to be?

The only broken thing about arcade Rolento was EX Roll. It was -2 on block did like 180 damage & you could combo Ultra 1 off it.

What they did as well as nerfing that move to hell was

-Nerf pushback on Rolls by half but not lower the disadvantage on block.

-Remove all invincibility from EX Patriot Ciricle & EX Roll away.

-Nerf the damage on EX Knives by like 1/3.

-Increased the start up on Ultra 2.

-Remove half the active frames from his main jump ins & his only anti air s. MP

-Make his light Rekka -3 instead of -2 like Yang despite having way less range and have a more punishable 2nd Hit

-Make his EX Delta Air Raid (Roll into jumping overhead) punishable on block instead of + frames.

So pretty much he has nothing going for him.

Infinite

11AM ~ Noon on Thursday.

I really want to. If it looks like I'm going to get horribly stomped, I might use Sakura instead, as she's the closest thing I have to a main as of now. (I'm trying to learn Poison, but she's still hard to get the hang of for me.)

Nah dude you gotta rep poison! It's only right.

Does anyone have a gif or meme when Infiltration stated "Every time....I won"? I keep coming back to ep.11 just to watch that part. It never gets old. Especially seeing Mike Ross's expression on his face lol.

sqwarlock

I've decided to get back into the fgc, SFIV specifically. I only have the PS3 version of SSFIV:AE though, and will likely upgrade it to Ultra instead of buying Ultra fresh on 360 or PC. Does the PS3 version still have that odd 1 frame "lag" issue?

smurfx

get some go again
Can't wait for Capcom to announce at E3 that they'll be rebalancing Deejay for Ultra 2015.

Can't wait.
gotta nerf him some more so he becomes even more special.

I've decided to get back into the fgc, SFIV specifically. I only have the PS3 version of SSFIV:AE though, and will likely upgrade it to Ultra instead of buying Ultra fresh on 360 or PC. Does the PS3 version still have that odd 1 frame "lag" issue?
you have a 360? AE will be free later this month thanks to games with gold.

vulva

Yea, I have been for the past few years now. The companies I work for get me access.

see you there if you're there on wednesday or thursday

anyone else going to E3? if so shoot me your contact info. Maybe some fighting game gaf dudes can meet up? idk

AAK

All I know about Pokemon is there is a Terry Bogard wannabe and his pet Pikachu. But if Namco is indeed making a new 3D fighting game, I will play it and buy the system that has it.

sqwarlock

gotta nerf him some more so he becomes even more special.

you have a 360? AE will be free later this month thanks to games with gold.

I don't have gold though since I haven't turned my 360 on in months. From what I understand trial accounts aren't able to get the free games either, else I'd do that.

Lemstar

I don't have gold though since I haven't turned my 360 on in months. From what I understand trial accounts aren't able to get the free games either, else I'd do that.
Some accounts can get a 1-month XBL Gold trial for free from the MS site, which works with the GWG games the last time I tried.

AAK

I haven't played it yet. Don't think my 2008 PC can really handle it either. But once it's out I'll definitely put some time into it. It's free after all.

I think this actually taps into a fundamental theory about videogames, stuff I may have a hard time putting into words, but I'll try to keep it as short and simple so as not to stress myself too much.

First I need to highlight the problem with "story" in that it is a very poorly defined term in game discussions (so is gameplay, for that matter) and no one bothers to think about what they are saying versus what someone else is saying. This is why virtually every thread on the topic looks like a complete mess. People say "story is bad" and end up meaning a bunch of different things: characterization, dialogue, plot, tone, cutscene direction, setting, logic in and out of plot scenes, concern towards so-called "mature" topics, sensitivity toward so-called "taboos", etc. It is no surprise then that threads on the subject boil down with the thoughtless, automatic understanding that "videogame stories are bad" (because any of the listed qualities) where people argue for exceptions (because any of the listed qualities). (It gets less stupid the more the subject is narrowed down.)

I'll relate it the other way around. Atmosphere could be described as the feeling or mood of the world where interactivity occurs, in a way it is what makes a world that world. It suffers from a bit of ignorance where people think only rainy, foggy, or spooky scenes have it, but I'm talking about it at a much higher level. All games have some minimum of an atmosphere, even the most barren Atari-looking crap (that's what it means to have a very thin layer of atmosphere, not Call of Duty, not even close). Theoretically you'd put the entire audiovisual aspect under here, what the interactivity and feedback of a game looks and feels like. That would include sound design, music, art style, visual fidelity, everything listed above, etc. It may be seen as the "skin" of the mechanics, but it can also considered irreplaceable to a game's feedback, thus the emotion the player feels. I should take a moment to say emotion is another one of those poorly understood things about videogame criticism where people think in very limited terms; It's a laughable scenario like atmosphere (how silly the term "emo" is just about describes it well). The best games (the games you think are the best before having even read or considered this post) are the most emotional ones.

Building on that, the relation between story (whatever that may actually contain) and atmosphere is one between a means and an ends, respectively. All these elements you'd find parallels of in films exist to make objects come alive and become impressionable, to turn an exchange of numbers into an engaging conflict, set up interactivity, depict results, etc. Thinking like this is a paradigm shift: a story doesn't exist to be a "good story" (I encourage thinking about what is the goal of a story in any sense), it exists to be apart of a videogame. A "good videogame story" is not necessarily a "good film story" or "good novel story", it's whatever the videogame needs it to be, because the videogame ultimately isn't trying to tell the story (not even the ones filled to the brim with cutscenes), it's trying to make you feel something through its interactivity and feedback (which is draped in atmosphere, which may utilize an assortment of things that can be considered "story"). One of the most damaging (or decadent) ideas to come out of this carriage before the horse approach to story and atmosphere is that "story-telling" is considered an end goal of games (and I could go a step further and say this applies to more mediums than games, but that's taking this too far than I care to). It leads to all sorts of absurd conclusions, like putting movie-like before life-like. To put it simply, people are too concerned with a game's "story" (no doubt in posturing hindsight overly concerned with "tropes", "messages", and whatnot) and not with the phenomenon of it, even if that works directly against it being a neat, sensible little device of story-telling. Note that I'm only criticizing how people see games, not the games themselves. Those "story-centric" games are not necessarily unfavorable even under this new understanding, they should just be understood differently.

I'd like to turn my attention towards a particular set of denizens of NeoGAF, people in this thread, who are also infected with this toxic form of thinking. Often you'll hear "I only care about the gameplay" for games like Bayonetta, Dark Souls, etc. I see this and think the pseudo-intellectuals have successfully stolen a piece of the medium from enthusiasts. Outside perhaps a few irregular individuals, anyone who says this doesn't really understand why they like the games they do. The atmosphere for the two examples and countless others are fundamental to what makes those games what they are, fundamental to the way they were designed and meant to be enjoyed. Everything from music to attack animations were painstakingly chosen and implemented, as it is with all the best games. Indeed, it is more likely the case the game began with an atmosphere and the mechanics followed. Perhaps people think this way because they are in the mindset "gameplay vs. story", where story is so easy to call bad (and I'd challenge even that, even for Bayonetta). This is plainly shown to be ridiculous, because enthusiasts will retreat from story discussion threads to their enthusiast threads, like this one, and freely talk about how sexy Third Strike (oh yeah, this thread is about fighting games) with a degree of passion no less then why they like any one mechanic of the game. They'll savor animated GIFs (you know, where there is no "gameplay") of cool scenes (QTE scenes, even).

Anyway, the opposite of mechanics is generally considered aesthetics, although I subscribe to the idea that the two cannot be fully separate (they seem to become more deeply integrated the more I think about it). I have hard time nailing down a distinct difference between aesthetics and atmosphere to honest, but I do feel there is a difference, it is just which is which in relation to mechanics can flip on me (one's higher/lower, one is more isolated from mechanics) and the difference may just be a matter of how you look at something. Better left unsaid.

EDIT: I want to emphasize I think there is a great incompatibility between "game stories" and the stories of other mediums. What ends up happening is that people messily "rip out" the story of a game, internalize it as a movie, then subject it to very superficial or agenda-centric film criticism (look at the displeasure people have with modern day film criticism to see what I mean). Not only would I say this is poor form, but as explained, I'd say it is entirely backwards and counterproductive in what it is trying to do. There's also the matter I didn't touch on of "maturity" and "juvenile power fantasies", a whole can of worms in itself. I'd say atmosphere-first (or emotion, stimuli first) has a way making that kind of thinking less relevant (which is a good thing).

I just want to say that I read all of this and that I have similar ideas in terms of how people interpret the word "story" and its composing elements in relation to "gameplay" or the mechanics.

I generally don't bring it up as I tend to lose my train of thought when I try to make long posts which leads to me running off into unrelated tangents.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So are they gonna reveal Bridget during the Sony conference.
Or will it be a separate trailer.
Step 1 would be to remind Andrew House that GG is even coming to PS4, so they don't forget to include it in whatever sizzle reel is coming tomorrow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd hope that they would include footage of it as some point considering it's an exclusive of theirs.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it, even if it is a niche title. The guys over at Sony seem very savvy and like to show diversity. Wasn't Divekick part of one of the sizzle reels at either last year's E3 or Playstation Meeting?

Pretty much no chance of it getting stage time though.

EDIT: Harada on the Sony stage would be huge though, I wonder if that will happen or they moneyhat Tekken.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it, even if it is a niche title. The guys over at Sony seem very savvy and like to show diversity. Wasn't Divekick part of one of the sizzle reels at either last year's E3 or Playstation Meeting?

Pretty much no chance of it getting stage time though.

EDIT: Harada on the Sony stage would be huge though, I wonder if that will happen or they moneyhat Tekken.

Didn't a bunch of indie games get stage time at last year's E3? I don't think it's an impossibility.

And with that I should be heading to bed.

I'm going to need as much energy as possible to handle all the reveals.

NEO0MJ

So are they gonna reveal Bridget during the Sony conference.
Or will it be a separate trailer.

Bridget doesn't strike me as the sort of character you reveal at E3. Though to be honest I don't know what character you reveal during E3 for a game like GG.

The calm before the storm.

I deem FGW as the safe sanctuary from the console wars and fanboy shitstorm that is bound to occur in the new few days.
Safe sanctuary is a mere illusion. We're all caught up in the eye of the storm. Let's see how many make it out of the feast this time.

/Berserk
Dude commands an airship with an army of underage girls, so no.
Maybe they had a more reasonable growth spurt than May. She barely changed at all.

FSLink

Banned
Tied for 13th at the Curleh South After Party tourney. Not bad. Both matches I lost I missed a game winning combo but eh, whatever.

Dreamhack on Saturday. I did okay at a local up in Edge Hill on Saturday but I am getting sick to my stomach playing online ranked in USF4. :\ To the point where I just cannot play seriously and throw matches because I'm frustrated.

Would you guys be interested in some videos I am thinking of making of my trip? I want to go over arriving in Scandinavia, the trip to the event and the event itself. I want more international players out for Dreamhack Winter so I think having those videos to show how easy it is might encourage people to come.

Dude commands an airship with an army of underage girls, so no.

I think that detail is overlooked by many folks considering he's a pirate/samurai who fights using iaijutsu.

If any of the missing characters are returning, and will be shown at E3, Bridget and Johnny I think are the strongest candidates.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Johnny, Bridget, Jam and Baiken will be revealed at E3. Four characters shown.

I think that detail is overlooked by many folks considering he's a pirate/samurai who fights using iaijutsu.

If any of the missing characters are returning, and will be shown at E3, Bridget and Johnny I think are the strongest candidates.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Johnny, Bridget, Jam and Baiken will be revealed at E3. Four characters shown.
This is the best combination of oldies if you are trying to cast the widest net. Not that I'm expecting more than two characters.

NEO0MJ

That's really overthinking.

I'm always like that.

Maybe they had a more reasonable growth spurt than May. She barely changed at all.

I wonder how they'll age Bridget and change his outfit.

Maybe that's the safest bet. They're probably the most popular characters who have yet to apear in the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's cute seeing Bridget fans keep hope alive like this

Top Bottom