• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 9-15 | Sponsored by Popeyes

jDa7EZRbjuDwB.jpg

jbsfmXamWDA4vk.png

jKIcn2wXyJDxQ.png

jy7R9rki9UDtt.png

jbhNUPRaESuf8m.png

jbsOAOKDhM45Kg.png

jyjaVeMXBrrH.png

jd5dummGKjQkF.png

jbre6mSZ4pnB3f.png

See you in Final Round Momochi, DaiGoku will be back breh. The Daigoat train rolls on.

So far the strongest players right now look to be

Momochi

and in no order: Daigo, Infiltration, Poongko, Kazunoko, Eita?

No love for the West? I think Sako deserves mention if your going to include Eita. Poongko beating Infil at Cannes was due to him withholding his Akuma and paying the price. But Sako put Infiltration into a corner where he had no character options left.

No love for the West? I think Sako deserves mention if your going to include Eita. Poongko beating Infil at Cannes was due to him withholding his Akuma and paying the price. But Sako put Infiltration into a corner where he had no character options left.

I think it's incredibly close between Eita and Sako if we're going by their last 2 tournaments. Eita outplaced Sako at Shadowloo and then ended up winning Mix Up Night which featured so many jp killers. Deep down I know that Sako will come out on top though.

I don't see Koogy sponsoring a Asian player like Kazunoko or Poongko. Dat bill would be cray. It's probably best to stick with a American like Snake or Smug.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm really bad at comboing into BC into KoF 02UM. Not that my characters really need it.

Only BC combo I've messed around with is K'.

K.Sabot

What makes Ken competitive with the other shotos? He seems to lack mixups in comparison.

He's dangerous from a further range than any other shoto, or perhaps any other character save for zangief.

He has that Chun Li 3rd strike level mixup of kara throw or counter hit step kick / low forward.

I'm really bad at comboing into BC into KoF 02UM. Not that my characters really need it.

Is it the need to dash in after BC or the cancels themselves that give you trouble?

I suck at HD combos in XIII too but man that auto dash when activating HD was a godsend

Anne

What makes Ken competitive with the other shotos? He seems to lack mixups in comparison.

Walk speed and buttons with good ranges, lots of threats, good damage output, solid enough safejumps with mix up on them. He's just really good and I'd wager has a lot of good MUs on the ground.

Rhapsody

Banned
Who are you playing?
Kula, Orochi Chris, Iori, and learning K' and others right now.
Is it the need to dash in after BC or the cancels themselves that give you trouble?

I suck at HD combos in XIII too but man that auto dash when activating HD was a godsend

The need to dash, accidentally getting an unwanted normal right after BC, and also hit confirming.

02UM's probably one of the big KoFs that I least played. I mostly played 98 which feels less demanding imo.

He's dangerous from a further range than any other shoto, or perhaps any other character save for zangief.

He has that Chun Li 3rd strike level mixup of kara throw or counter hit step kick / low forward.

Also reasonably mobile, and with good durability. He has everything when you start adding things up. High damage output is the only missing thing on the list, but with Momochi's conservative and safe style that isn't a huge issue. He's not a monster, but he's rock solid and just super stable - if there's a 5-5 character in the game, Ken is it. Momochi himself has said that he plays Ken because he has the fewest bad matchups in the game.

alstein

I wish more folks would play 98. 2k2 is a little unbalanced for my taste. K' and Kasumi are really strong in this - feels like UM Krauser (not FE Krauser who got rightfully nerfed)

Rhapsody

Banned
I wish more folks would play 98. 2k2 is a little unbalanced for my taste. K' and Kasumi are really strong in this - feels like UM Krauser (not FE Krauser who got rightfully nerfed)

98's still my favorite. Just feels like a faster paced ST for me which works great. A lot easier to just pick up and play different characters too imo.

shaowebb

Ahhhhhhhhhhh shit! Guess who just found a weekly near them? Dis guy!

Apparently in Morgantown WV at the local comic book store they host a ton of shit...from daily tabletop stuff, battle dice, to magic the gathering, to having a daily PC game gathering for DOTA, LOL, Hearthstone, and other stuff.

Well a dude there does something called Saturday Night Scuffle. He doesn't stream yet, but he plays anything and everything fighting game at it. I'm gonna start attending to see what its like and see how the scene is each week. If its got a good crowd here's hoping there'll be a new weekly to shoot your way. Be great if I could brainwash them into having a retro title of the month to compete in. Be great to see more KoF11, TvC, CVS2 and other shit make more stream appearances.

Oh well, baby steps and all that. My career will interfere often but for now I got a weekend and a scene to check out which is more than you have any right to expect in West Virginia on top of a fucking mountain. Looking forward to this. :)

sikvod00

Banned
I really hope SF5 has at most Ryu +2 family members. USF4 is lauded for having a big, diverse cast that are all relatively viable, but a decent chunk are just shoto clones with variations.

mbpm1

He has everything he needs except damage.

With options kara throw/low forward/step kick/dp/ex tatsu/walkspeed/kara focus/fireballs/overhead kick neutral can become very threatening very quickly against Ken. Even then his damage isn't horrible and when he can open you up many times it doesn't really mean as much.

Not sure what you mean by lacking mixups, fake overhead kick ---> DP/Kara Throw/Cr. Mk is a legit thing as is stepkick --> kara throw/dp and EX Tatsu or Fierce when he jumps at you.

Amedo310

Kula, Orochi Chris, Iori, and learning K' and others right now.

The need to dash, accidentally getting an unwanted normal right after BC, and also hit confirming.

02UM's probably one of the big KoFs that I least played. I mostly played 98 which feels less demanding imo.

Just cancel into BC after the first hit of cl. C, then walk forward. The hitstun in cl. C is enough to connect do another cl. C after the walk in. Good luck in doing the (dp+A, qcb+k, qcb+k)x2 or x3.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Ahhhhhhhhhhh shit! Guess who just found a weekly near them? Dis guy!

Apparently in Morgantown WV at the local comic book store they host a ton of shit...from daily tabletop stuff, battle dice, to magic the gathering, to having a daily PC game gathering for DOTA, LOL, Hearthstone, and other stuff.

Well a dude there does something called Saturday Night Scuffle. He doesn't stream yet, but he plays anything and everything fighting game at it. I'm gonna start attending to see what its like and see how the scene is each week. If its got a good crowd here's hoping there'll be a new weekly to shoot your way. Be great if I could brainwash them into having a retro title of the month to compete in. Be great to see more KoF11, TvC, CVS2 and other shit make more stream appearances.

Oh well, baby steps and all that. My career will interfere often but for now I got a weekend and a scene to check out which is more than you have any right to expect in West Virginia on top of a fucking mountain. Looking forward to this. :)

Dude, this is awesome! I'm glad to hear you found a scene! I had to make mine from scratch with a couple of friends to actually get a club going cause NL was too far lol

KoF XIV is the Last Guardian tier st this point

At least KOF had 13 other iterations. Ueda brought Sony Ico and SOTC ;_;

Rhapsody

Banned
Just cancel into BC after the first hit of cl. C, then walk forward. The hitstun in cl. C is enough to connect do another cl. C after the walk in. Good luck in doing the (dp+A, qcb+k, qcb+k)x2 or x3.

I finally got those (in training mode)! And I'll try doing that.

Also what's the main cause of me getting random normals right after activation?

Is this common for people?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dude if you are playing Prototype's Millia you shouldn't feel that way. Dude's a fucking psychopath...
Of course he's my student! I dont count him when I say that. A lot of stuff I do when I lose vs him I do to teach.

When I play serious his record is 2-5 right now which is great seeing how he never really played gg before and the first 2d fighter he took the time to actually learn was bbct

I really hate when people talk like this.
Hmm how so? A lot of things you can lose to in GG are reactable. That feeling stems from that

Amedo310

I finally got those (in training mode)! And I'll try doing that.

Also what's the main cause of me getting random normals right after activation?

Is this common for people?

You are doing BC too late after the hit confirm. If BC is activated a few frames after the active frames of the hit-confirm, B or C will automatically come out after activation.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I take issue with this statement lol
I used to be able to block eddies set up half the time back in the day. So i feel like shit when i rarely do it now. But that's not what I'm referring to.

The hardest thing to block right now to me is ram when swords are active and she does yrc. The visual clusterfuck is horrible.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Whenever I lose a round in GG I feel like I suck

Well its cause anime happened lol. The time I spent playing anime games, some of the stuff is really hard to react to since the game is faster than your average fg.
Don't shoot me for just saying what I thought, maybe anime games are really slow but who gives a fubar

Top Bottom