• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 9-15 | Sponsored by Popeyes

Anne

It goes to show just how ridiculous SF4's buffering is. That and I question how many players use it consistently (GamerBee sure as hell wasn't using it, heh). The tech may be old, but it's a good teachable moment, if nothing else. It also goes to show why putting reversals on reverse DP motions is kind of dumb. :x

Actually vs Kazunoko, Kaz was hardbaiting him a lot, so maybe he was. The OS relies on you being in blockstun, so no tick comes out and you go flying. Gamerbee might've just been having it baited. It's why you don't see on it on constant really, because if people are aware it exists and check you for doing it, it's just as easy as hard baiting a DP.

Kumubou

Actually vs Kazunoko, Kaz was hardbaiting him a lot, so maybe he was. The OS relies on you being in blockstun, so no tick comes out and you go flying. Gamerbee might've just been having it baited. It's why you don't see on it on constant really, because if people are aware it exists and check you for doing it, it's just as easy as hard baiting a DP.
I made that comment mainly due to the combination of the number of DPs that GamerBee ate and the number of reversals he went for that were blocked (this is from memory, so I could be way off). I would have figured that if he was aware of it happening, he would have tried to bait it in some instances (and maybe he did, just at the wrong times -- small sample sizes and all that). The flip side of that is they're hard baiting it, then they're basically conceding offense in an oki situation, which is a significant win.

Zissou

what do you guys think of no chip wins possibly in SF5

Dumb- not being able to win off chip damage is baby-fication of the genre for people who don't like the idea that bad decisions earlier in the match hamper them now (and/or for people can't accept the idea that bad situations exist).

Anne

I made that comment mainly due to the combination of the number of DPs that GamerBee ate and the number of reversals he went for that were blocked (this is from memory, so I could be way off). I would have figured that if he was aware of it happening, he would have tried to bait it in some instances (and maybe he did, just at the wrong times -- small sample sizes and all that). The flip side of that is they're hard baiting it, then they're basically conceding offense in an oki situation, which is a significant win.

Yeah, that's what fuzzy type OSes do, they basically let you say "no, this is the type of RPS you're dealing with." There were times he was doing delay DP/backdash on wake up and he was also delay teching and blocking, so maybe he was. There were tells he was doing defensive type stuff similar to this at least(especially with those mashed jabs), but it's always hard to say if he was just really RPSing hardcore like that or aware of it. Oh wait, I still have it playing and I saw an instance that def says he was doing this type stuff haha.

Considering Gamerbee is a world class player, and this info has been publicly available for awhile now and is an old concept, it's a safe bet he's aware of this and it looks like he was def playing around it. How much exposure he has to it and how well he's able to play around it is another thing though ;w;

Edit: On the flip side, Kazunoko looks hella adept at playing around ideas like this now that I watch, he sniffs it out stupidly hard and has good variance on his options depending on what people are doing. Momochi is just straight fucking savage lmao.

Anne

On the subject of no chip wins, the games I play that don't include them basically allow for characters to put you in stupid amounts of blockstun with no recourse to deal with chip. It's definitely on a a game to game basis.

If Chie could just get meter and meteor chip me to death I'd be pretty sad. Same thing in UNiEL where you could spend an eternity in blockstun racking up chip.

Nyoro SF

Yeah in many games some characters have such lethal attack power at all ranges that chip wins would devalue victory, essentially guaranteeing a win when someone's life is at a certain level. It's mostly OK in SF4 because the ability to evade attacks is high.

Top Bottom