• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 12-18 | The Bracket Racket

This is a great photo

hahahaha. for the new page

901480_764827913535780_4024951072057857895_o.jpg

They really made Akuma's far st.HP cancellable..

Deejay got more nerfs than Akuma

I'm done

I just read that to, shit just got real. I think they want to give him some stuff to help compensate for the loss of vortex.

Hmm, I wonder if Evil Ryu can have that buff to. He's not high tier enough in USF4 lol. Sorry DJ players, I couldn't help it :p

I just read that to, shit just got real. I think they want to give him some stuff to help compensate for the loss of vortex.

Hmm, I wonder if Evil Ryu can have that buff to. He's not high tier enough in USF4 lol. Sorry DJ players, I couldn't help it :p

You can't really nerf Akuma though. He's supposed to be good. Must strike fear in the opponent.

DONJONJ

Neo Member
I haven't read the whole thread, so I'll just say this regarding the bracket change:

The was no "rigging" of the brackets. Justin nor Ricky ever came to us about it. We saw they were close, and moved them. I have said repeatedly that moving people in top 32 is iffy, and moving in top 16 should never happen. The change was made before we even started Sunday, and no matches had been played yet. Everyone is going to believe what they want to believe, and we can't change that. We changed the bracket positions to make it so players from the same team didn't play each other. It's really that simple.

Writing an article on SRK and using us as an example is one thing, but saying things like "As two of the best players in attendance, this gave both teammates an advantage going into the top thirty-two that was afforded to no one else." is just uncalled for, and it's bad reporting. It wasn't done just for Ricky and Justin because they're Ricky and Justin. It was done because they're players on the same team, hence why Ricky was switched with Lee Chung, who was in the exact same position with Zeus (they're both Team PIE). Had that been said in the article, instead of "but it’s absolutely necessary to maintain the trust that events are run fairly for all players, not just those that happen to be sponsored by major organizations.", you'd clearly see that's exactly what we did. What we did for one set of teammates, we did with the other.

I do not expect to win anyone over with this post. We accept the responsibility of our actions, as always. We're not going to shirk it off on anyone, because Joe and I were the ones who made the decision.

Ponder a while ago did a fantastic job at explaining why floating/re-seeding, even with good intentions, is terrible in practice: http://shoryuken.com/2013/04/15/the-evo-tournament-format-and-ruleset/ It's part of an article detailing how the EVO format works and why it's done the way it is.

Regarding floating/seeding based on teams: this is still a 1v1 tournament. As far as tournaments go, EG is just a label. EG players, however, are likely to have high seeding. This is about as far as it should go; it should just be a signal for the TO to check what the appropriate seeding should be for each player from X team based on their skill level and/or results. Unfortunately, everyone does whatever they want with seeding, but the key here is to do it BEFORE you start the tournament. This was done *mid-tournament* (sorry, doing it right before top 32 started still counts as mid-tournament by definition).

To paraphrase Ponder on one reason why floating/re-seeding sucks: highly seeded players will likely not run into much resistance in the bracket (in theory), but an upset victory will let the underdog take that easy path from the seeded player and ride it to top 32/top 16/etc. If you do re-seeding and/or floating, you're altering this path and likely screwing over that person of that easy path that he earned by sending a seeded player to the loser's bracket.

Thanks for posting, but I just can't see a justifiable reason to do floating after a tournament begins.

casperOne

This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.

Did you write this Panda? =)

You have 5-6 days to think of a Mike Ross/Twitch Cop thread title, people. Do not disappoint.

FGW | Twitch now 4th place in web rankings

CARTER!

Can't wait to see what happens when he's done with the banana.

Horseress

I know you're joking (maybe) but if you look at the talk page, the entry fails on a number of levels.

I was joking about the "who?"

btw good job with the "viewing page" for ECT, I think doing something similar to EVO, that receives a lot more tweets, would be amazing. Maybe like controlling the trending topics to see when EVO related stuff will trend and things like that, but you probably already has tons of ideas for it ;D

btw good job with the "viewing page" for ECT, I think doing something similar to EVO, that receives a lot more tweets, would be amazing. Maybe like controlling the trending topics to see when EVO related stuff will trend and things like that, but you probably already has tons of ideas for it ;D

It would be dope as fuck if the page had updated information about who had made it out of pools, who beat who in high profile offstream matches, stuff like that. The sort of info that people gather from twitter during the day. I think that would require an actual person updating the info on the page though rather than being something automated.

Ron K

. Had that been said in the article, instead of "but it’s absolutely necessary to maintain the trust that events are run fairly for all players, not just those that happen to be sponsored by major organizations.", you'd clearly see that's exactly what we did. What we did for one set of teammates, we did with the other.

The implication here is that players deserve special treatment because they are on a team? That is ridiculous. I deserve to have teams shuffled around and my path to the finals made more difficult (or possibly easier) because I'm not good enough to be on a recognized team?

That is completely disrespectful to everyone else that enters your tournament, and doubly so for anyone that actually makes it that far to be screwed by these actions.

So many FGC "personalities" want to hop on the eSports bandwagon yet crap like this keeps happening. Do you people not realize that this is the type of stuff that gets you banned and your money stripped IMMEDIATELY?

Just. Don' t. Do. It.

casperOne

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to solicit feedback later on Twitter, etc.

Already have tons of ideas? I've already done it =)

While these pages are freely available for social media metrics around events:

http://oneframelink.com/social-media/east-coast-throwdown-2014

(I have them for NCR, SCR, and have been tracking CEO and Evo)

I have much, much more data on the back end which I've been providing to some TOs.

As an example:

Knowing how much reach a user had individually as a measure of how many unique people retweeted them for a topic as opposed to summing up the reach of all their Tweets, etc.

Instagram is harder to calculate, namely because their API is so horrid and extremely restrictive or in many places, just inadequate.

If you're interested in more stats, let me know and I'll pull them. Eventually, these pages will link to more detailed information and various reports.

casperOne

It would be dope as fuck if the page had updated information about who had made it out of pools, who beat who in high profile offstream matches, stuff like that. The sort of info that people gather from twitter during the day. I think that would require an actual person updating the info on the page though rather than being something automated.

Getting it real time is a challenge, and you are right, for real time results, that's something you'd need someone plugged into the stream directly in order for that to take place.

The better solution is to have someone onsite who can process the results in the brackets in real time and then push it out via official accounts for the tournaments.

The latter is something I'm working towards in some way.

jbug617

Banned
MS announced they are giving away AE next month with Games with Gold (you keep the game) so you can have a upgrade path to USF4 for $15.

Dahbomb

They just announced that Xbox Games with Gold members will be getting SSF4AE and Dark Souls in the month of June!

Damn Microsoft is not playing around anymore! Going straight for the hardcores now.

Let's be real: the market for that game is probably not going to buy the "4 gamerz" SKU

...well, unless the price difference essentially buries all other SKUs and the Kinect

The price difference will bury the Kinect SKUs. No one I know who has one uses it. No one I've sold one too knows anything about it. When I tell them, they write it off as a gimmick.

Top Bottom