• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 13-19 | The World Ends Ryu

kirblar

Daigo is obviously preparing for EVO 2017 and not letting other people see/analyze his play. EVO 14 was just him sandbagging to scope out top USF4 players like FChamp and John Choi.
Perhaps in USF4 version 2016 they'll finally improve Daigo's matchup with the Dropped Combo.

It's also weird not to see Sako, Daigo or Tokido anywhere in the standings.

Most of the ranking tournaments were in America so it's skewed towards that. Things like Comic Con and Pax being ranking tournaments lol. That's why Jwong has such a huge lead and why there's a large portion of the competitors are EG for this tournament. You also have to remember that the only way international players could qualify, like Infiltration and Ryan Hart, was to fly to the US. They didn't win in their spot in their country.

Of the three Daigo seems the one who only took an active interest in this. He applied to the Singapore Asia finals even though there was a possibility of him qualifying through Taito this weekend. Since he failed, he has another chance through that way. Tokido's only attempt at this was through the Taito national and he was eliminated in qualifiers. Sako I guess doesn't have an interest in this one. Or maybe he's just busy with his new family life.

Daigo is in the Asia Finals he can still qualify for the Capcom Cup that way. The Asia Finals will be long set matches. If it's the same as last year, everything will be a FT7. I think Daigo will perform well in this format and take it, hopefully.

As for the Japanese in general, only Momochi and Daigo have actually tried to qualify. Momochi went to SEA Major and CEO to try and earn his spot. Daigo has been trying lately with Capcom Cup Asia series and the Taito National. All the other sponsored Japanese players either don't care or they can't get their travel taken care of, I don't know. The Asia Finals players are already set in stone. So the only way for guys like Mago and Tokido to get in now is to go to Dreamhack. Fuudo still has a shot, but he better go to some ranking tournament but I doubt he does for whatever reason.

16BitNova

Daigo is obviously preparing for EVO2017 and not letting other people see/analyze his play. EVO 14 was just him sandbagging to scope out top USF4 players like FChamp and John Choi.

I said got damn! At least 2016. I mean, you really need 3 years of practice for one game before letting people see your stuff. Come one. Snake Eyes.2015. Said and done.

Daigo is in the Asia Finals he can still qualify for the Capcom Cup that way. The Asia Finals will be long set matches. If it's the same as last year, everything will be a FT7. I think Daigo will perform well in this format and take it, hopefully.

Gackt is pretty dangerous in this format as well. In my opinion, he's Daigo's biggest competition. There's also Gamerbee and Xian to worry about. The other competitors, Humanbomb, Poongko, Dark Jiewa and Leslie will shake things up a bit but I don't expect them to win.

Sanford has aged horribly in the last 5 years. SF4 is skressful bruh

Triforce is what's stressful.

I don't care what anyone says: Snake Eyes is the best SF player on the planet right now. Everytime I watch him play I feel dumb.

Not FABulous enough th... damn, wrong game.

Declaring a single best SF player is probably a bit much nowadays. There's so many absurd monsters out there. Bonchan is insane right now, Luffy is crazy. I'm an Infiltration fanboy, but want to see some results. Seems that his character crisis period is over now though and he has a solid team to work with. And the phone is back.

Declaring a single best SF player is probably a bit much nowadays. There's so many absurd monsters out there. Bonchan is insane right now, Luffy is crazy. I'm an Infiltration fanboy, but want to see some results. Seems that his character crisis period is over now though and he has a solid team to work with. And the phone is back.

I feel the same way. I think we've reached the point now where we'll never have an individual who will accomplish enough to be proclaimed the best at SF4 anymore. In 2011 Fuudo looked unstoppable, then Infiltration in 2013. I don't think we'll see that kind of dominance anymore in this game. Snake Eyez is definitely one of the best in the world but he hasn't accomplished enough to earn a title like that that many gave to Fuudo and Infiltration in 2011 and 2012.

If they do another Topanga World, I definitely want to see Snake Eyez rep the US while Louffy reps Europe(or just France if he prefers).

Louffy is Evo world champion. The only person he has lost to at tournament since Evo is Valmaster.

Dude is definitely the king of Europe. Snake Eyez is the best player in the US. So who is the best in Asia? That is the real question. I see folks repping Bonchan for that title.

Sayad

Triforce is what's stressful.

Not FABulous enough th... damn, wrong game.

Everytime I see him play lately, it's with a different character, what's his "main team" now? Akuma, Chun, ....

Rhapsody

Banned
Knuckledu vs. Pepeday was painful to watch Decapre and Elf teleporting and jumping around all over the place it was worse than Viper lol.

Love the character diversity in Ultra so far this year though, this game seems incredibly balanced.

lol I told my friend that I had to remind myself that I'm watching a Street Fighter match.

Everytime I see him play lately, it's with a different character, what's his "main team" now? Akuma, Chun, ....

Akuma, Chun and the Ryus seem to be his mainstays, though I think he's on the road to dropping Akuma. Can't really blame him for that.

I feel the same way. I think we've reached the point now where we'll never have an individual who will accomplish enough to be proclaimed the best at SF4 anymore. In 2011 Fuudo looked unstoppable, then Infiltration in 2013. I don't think we'll see that kind of dominance anymore in this game. Snake Eyez is definitely one of the best in the world but he hasn't accomplished enough to earn a title like that that many gave to Fuudo and Infiltration in 2011 and 2012.

If they do another Topanga World, I definitely want to see Snake Eyez rep the US while Louffy reps Europe(or just France if he prefers).

I don't understand how you can site recent examples of a player dominating, and then turn around and say it can never happen again even though nothing's really changed in the environment.

Anyway, I think the players' skills for fighting games still have a ways to go before we can say they've reached the upper limits of what can and can't be done.

NEO0MJ

I feel the same way. I think we've reached the point now where we'll never have an individual who will accomplish enough to be proclaimed the best at SF4 anymore. In 2011 Fuudo looked unstoppable, then Infiltration in 2013.

Don't forget Daigo in early SF4.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So who would be the most consistent SF4 player across all iterations?

Tokido? Daigo? Fuudo? Infiltration?

I wonder when it's all said and done, who will be seen as the marquee SF4 player.

I don't understand how you can site recent examples of a player dominating, and then turn around and say it can never happen again even though nothing's really changed in the environment.

We've only been playing the SF4 series for 6 years. So even just 2 years ago is quite a while ago considering the age of the game. Besides that I believe the game is mostly figured out and there won't be anymore groundbreaking discoveries to change match ups or propel a character past everyone else. I think all the top guys are at a similar level now and that match ups will play a more important factor in deciding the winner rather than someone breaking through and becoming the best.

Don't forget Daigo in early SF4.

Nobody counts that period because it was just Daigo dominating America.

We've only been playing the SF4 series for 6 years. So even just 2 years ago is quite a while ago considering the age of the game. Besides that I believe the game is mostly figured out and there won't be anymore groundbreaking discoveries to change match ups or propel a character past everyone else. I think all the top guys are at a similar level now and that match ups will play a more important factor in deciding the winner rather than someone breaking through and becoming the best.

But that's how it's always been. How much the game is or isn't figured out doesn't really matter, because everyone at the top has the same access to that knowledge, and they're at the top precisely because they understand the game so well.

USD

TOPANGA LEAGUE 4 (B) ROUND 7

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv193023430 - Free viewing over

NISHIKIN (Blanka) vs. Ooitajin (Chun-Li)
3-0 ○○○
SANTAROU (Sagat) vs. koujiKOG (T.Hawk)
3-0 ○○○
Itabashi Zangief (Zangief) vs. NEMO (Rolento)
3-2 ○●○●○
sako (Elena) vs. Katakana de Aoki (Decapre)
3-0 ○○○
Akutagawa (Dudley) vs. YHC-Mochi (Dhalsim)
3-2 ●●○○○
YOSSAN (Juri) vs. Mago (Yang)
3-2 ●○○●○
koujiKOG (T.Hawk) vs. Katakana de Aoki (Decapre)
3-0 ○○○
TOKIDO (Akuma) vs. Ooitajin (Chun-Li)
3-0 ○○○
Itabashi Zangief (Zangief) vs. YHC-Mochi (Dhalsim)
1-3 ●●○●
NISHIKIN (Blanka) vs. Akutagawa (Dudley)
1-3 ○●●●
SANTAROU (Sagat) vs. EX Pugera (Ibuki)
0-3 ●●●
sako (Elena) vs. Mago (Yang)
3-2 ○●○●○

OceanBlue

TOPANGA LEAGUE 4 (B) ROUND 7

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv193023430 - Free viewing available

Today's match-ups (not in order):

sako vs. Mago
sako vs. Katakana de Aoki
SANTAROU vs. EX Pugera
SANTAROU vs. koujiKOG
NISHIKIN vs. Akutagawa
NISHIKIN vs. Ooitajin
TOKIDO vs. Ooitajin
koujiKOG vs. Katakana de Aoki
Akutagawa vs. YHC-Mochi
Itabashi Zangief vs. YHC-Mochi
YOSSAN vs. Mago
Itabashi Zangief vs. NEMO

Oh cool, I'm actually up in time to watch one. I feel bad whenever I see Akutagawa's scores in this lol.

Zissou

Yo Xrd demo in like 2 days! I am excited
even though the demo is kinda booty
Will be attempting to learn Sol/Ky because fuck it- why not?

mbpm1

It's funny when R gets hype with the intro like he's announcing a live tourney but since it's online you just hear the empty office echo

Kimosabae

Banned
I was mostly joking. While I largely agree that you can't call anyone the best SF player, period, I would argue Snake is top 5 based on his skill set alone. His footsie game, spacing, and fighting game psychology are only matched by Daigo and maybe Fuudo. Louffy's great, but Rose is a dumb ass character in Ultra, I'm sorry. That makes it harder to evaluate his skill set. Louffy was just a talent before Ultra, and now he's straight dominating. I don't want to make it sound like it's all the character, because he easily could have just come into his own at the right time: but Snake Eyes has been amazing from the jump.

That discussion about Rose is so funny. I have been in tournament in France for these past 5 years (and organized some of them) and I can tell you Luffy is not dominating because of Rose. The delayed wakeup and the fact the game is more footsies oriented made louffy shine as he has a great character for footsies and is a great player, as snake eyez is dominating now too with his character. Just to refresh your mind in 2010 on SF4 Luffy beated Daigo at World Game Cup and lost to Fuudo in winners finals. He was playing since one year at that time. In 2013 in Stunfest he beated Kindevu, the famous Blanka player I can't remember the name, and a third japanese player. This year at Stunfest he beated Justin Wong and Ultra wasn't out.

I think luffy had a shift in his mindset this past year and it made him stronger. I asked him about EVO before he went (like 3 months before EVO) and he told me bluntly "I'll win EVO. I lost last year because of jetlag, this time I'll come earlier in Vegas". And he won.
I remember french players saying that people thinks Rose is dumb, but the fact they are playing against luffy for years and can't beat him proves it's not the matchup. It's luffy they don't understand and they're not the only ones.

mbpm1

Louffy, Snake-Eyez, Bonchan are top 3 in the world right now imo.

It says something though that as strong as they are I could tick off players I think could beat them. But overall they are the best.

Kimosabae

Banned
When I think about Europe's SF history I mix up Luffy and Starnab for some reason.

But yeah, I guess I'm just ignorant when it comes to Louffy. I guess because he hasn't been traveling outside Europe much I underrate him.

I really hope Canada Cup this year (or whenver it is) has another one of those 5v5 region battles.

Right now I'm rating it at:

Japan
Europe
Rest of Asia
Canada
Kappa
US

Japan:

Nemo
Daigo
Sako
Bonchan
Kazunoko

Europe:

Louffy
Ryan Hart
Valmaster
Will2Pac
Andreas

Asia:

Xian
Gamerbee
Infiltration
Gackt
Xiao Hai

Canada:

Count Blackule
Blackule
Count
Count Blackula
Count B

because
Yoga_Flame.gif

USA:
Snake Eyez
PR Rog
Ricky Ortiz
Smug
DIeminion
Bonus: FChamp the Daigo kira

Yea I'm rockin with Ricky over Justin at this point

Yo Xrd demo in like 2 days! I am excited
even though the demo is kinda booty
Will be attempting to learn Sol/Ky because fuck it- why not?

Really?! Oh shit, this is when I determine if Xrd is worth getting on PS3.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Just noticed the Gootecks and Mike Ross show is still in the op even though they haven't had a new episode in half a year

gg enzo

Top Bottom