• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 13-19 | The World Ends Ryu

Dear Xbox 360 P4AU players,

There are more characters besides Adachi and Minazuki. Just because nine out of ten players use them doesn't mean you have to.

Thanks,
Fatehehhhh

P.S. Git gud at rushdown defense.

Silky

Banned
So there's an interview Ed Boon did in Brazil for MK. Stuff we already know like the better netcode and more fatalities, but he hinted at a Brazilian Fighter or something

alstein

Does anyone ever get super-depressed at seeing top level, and just knowing the areas where you're never going to match up? Just knowing you're not ever going to be good enough is one of the most frustrating things in the world to me.

It makes me not want to play.

Happy Monday everyone.

TFC looked like a good event. Wish I could have gone.

My friends had a good time there. I put TFC on blast hard and they deserved it for some of the stuff that went on before the event, but when the event started they did a good job. They just need accurate and more timely information next year, and more promotion of TFC instead of just using the TFC page to promote FR and Summer Jam (promoting them is fine, but it's the TFC page)

Also maybe fewer chiefs and more indians from what folks were telling me was happening before the event.

alstein

I really like Snake-Eyez for best in the world right now, but all the top players are so up there it's a wash.

Smug.

I think there's a pool of about 20 or so players who could lay claim to the best in the world title on any given day. Just depends on matches and performance variation. It's a sign of how SF is growing up and getting bigger.

Demo is Japanese PS+ only, PS4 only.

I already have a Japanese PSN account, but it's Japanese PS+ only, and only for PS4 as well?

Huh. Welp, there's three other things this week to look forward to. I finally get my hands on P4U2, and KI Season 2.
And Borderlands The Pre Sequel.

TheBesteban

Neo Member
I think there's a pool of about 20 or so players who could lay claim to the best in the world title on any given day. Just depends on matches and performance variation. It's a sign of how SF is growing up and getting bigger.

Yeah I know a lot of people are very high on Snake Eyez right now and deservedly so. He's a world-class player and he's only getting better. But there's are also a lot of people on his level in the world, and even some lesser known players like Pepeday (until recently of course) that could take claim to that. That being said though, Snake Eyez is making a good case to be at the top of that list.

Dahbomb

It's really hard for multiplayer only games to get GOTY awards. Unless there's a specific category for Multiplayer GOTY and even in that case Fighters have to compete with stuff like Shooters, RTSs and MOBAs.

No fighting game this generation has even deserved GOTY IMO. In the previous generations, fighting games were known for their superior graphics, presentation and soundtracks (especially in the PS2/Dreamcast Tekken 3/SC1 era). Now they definitely can't compete with the standard AAA games in terms of visuals and presentation. Plus they have remained extremely stagnant in their implementation of actual multiplayer/online features.

Dahbomb

I guess Smash shouldn't have too much trouble then
196fuarapyylmgif.gif

At the airport. The worst bit about travelling is the bit in the middle of the travelling home stage.

RFD has been hands down the easiest tournament I have been to internationally. My plan worked out flawlessly:

I got off the plane and onto a train.
I got off the train, walked for ten minutes and got set up at the hostel.
I got from the hostel to the venue and back on both days on foot without spending a penny.
I am now on my way home.

Nothing has gone wrong. Amsterdam is incredibly easy to get around. And thanks to all the money I haven't had to spend getting about, I've grabbed a few souvenirs. And because I booked my flight times to maximise my time in Holland, I have had pretty much an entire day to explore central Amsterdam.

Sometimes you get a tournament like this which doesn't drain you and instead you come back feeling you have had an actual weekend away, all happy and energized. This was definitely one of those tournaments. :)

One thing though - some bits of Amsterdam reeeeeeally smell like cannabis. Ew.

Azure J

iby3KJXAq7lWX9.gif

Does anyone ever get super-depressed at seeing top level, and just knowing the areas where you're never going to match up? Just knowing you're not ever going to be good enough is one of the most frustrating things in the world to me.

It makes me not want to play.

If anything it makes me want to play more. It's a combination of the logistics of dedicating more time to certain games (as much as I love them) long enough to be what would amount to an ascended casual player (i.e. doesn't go to tournaments much or at all) on top of getting older and take on more responsibilities with big time investments that curbs that enthusiasm for me. =/

kirblar

At the airport. The worst bit about travelling is the bit in the middle of the travelling home stage.

RFD has been hands down the easiest tournament I have been to internationally. My plan worked out flawlessly:

I got off the plane and onto a train.
I got off the train, walked for ten minutes and got set up at the hostel.
I got from the hostel to the venue and back on both days on foot without spending a penny.
I am now on my way home.

Nothing has gone wrong. Amsterdam is incredibly easy to get around. And thanks to all the money I haven't had to spend getting about, I've grabbed a few souvenirs. And because I booked my flight times to maximise my time in Holland, I have had pretty much an entire day to explore central Amsterdam.

Sometimes you get a tournament like this which doesn't drain you and instead you come back feeling you have had an actual weekend away, all happy and energized. This was definitely one of those tournaments. :)

One thing though - some bits of Amsterdam reeeeeeally smell like cannabis. Ew.
Amsterdam was awesome when I was there for the MTG PT, I just wish I had more time/money back then.

AAK

Some of you guys may remember LA Akira, but he recently started a Kickstarter for a project he's doing called the Message. A CGI production set in a neo Tokyo setting. Check it out here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826390253/the-message-0

This guy does as much for Virtua Fighter in his capacity as MarkMan has done for Tekken. I'm supporting this project of his just to say thank you for all the VF support he's done over the years.

pixelish

Because of how excting the tour has become, I'm willing to spend 10 minutes of my precious time creating a spreadsheet for the current standings of the CPT post-TFC.

As you can see, 11 players have virtually qualified for the Capcom Cup. Two of the five remaining spots available will be through winning CPT Asia Finals and Dreamhack Winter whereas the other 3 spots will be given through points qualification. The interesting thing about Dreamhack Winter is there will be no CPT points being allocated to the top 16 placers so only the winner of DW will have the sole reward of getting a place in the Capcom Cup.

A few observations:
-The players who are in the top 16 standings right now but haven't won a premier event will hope for Xian or Gamerbee to win CPT Asia Finals so it will open up another space for them to qualify through points. Worst case scenario for them would be one of the other contenders of CPT Asia Finals winning the tournament.
-Even then, the two EG players (K-Brad + Ricky) & Nuckledu must win Resistance (the last US ranking event) in order to secure their spot in the Capcom Cup.
-The relative unknown in the Top 16, ChuChu (the Brazilian player), can ruin the dreams of some of those who are above and below him in the standings by winning the tournament in Brazil Game Show (assuming he attended it) as well as the online tournaments organised by Capcom (he got his points mostly from the Online Series).
-Aside from Gamerbee & Xian, it seems Daigo is the only one in the CPT Asia Finals to make an effort in travelling to get a place in the Capcom Cup. If he didn't manage to qualify through CPTA, he will most likely travel to Dreamhack to try his luck and win the final premier event of the tour.
-Since Fuudo has been relatively inactive in the tour lately, I can assume he will most likely be not attending anymore CPT events so he is virtually out of the running for a spot in the Capcom Cup.

I think I've spent a bit too much time on this so I'll stop for now but if I've made any mistakes with my observations, please let me know. CPT is such a brilliant way of creating a narrative for the SF4 tournament scene and I applaud Capcom and Twitch for creating this tour because of this particular reason.

Man I really need to read the last post and stop bumping the old thread. Sorry

OOOOOOH!

It's really hard for multiplayer only games to get GOTY awards. Unless there's a specific category for Multiplayer GOTY and even in that case Fighters have to compete with stuff like Shooters, RTSs and MOBAs.

No fighting game this generation has even deserved GOTY IMO. In the previous generations, fighting games were known for their superior graphics, presentation and soundtracks (especially in the PS2/Dreamcast Tekken 3/SC1 era). Now they definitely can't compete with the standard AAA games in terms of visuals and presentation. Plus they have remained extremely stagnant in their implementation of actual multiplayer/online features.

Killer Instinct!

So...it's meh?

Sayah

I disagree. SFIV, TTT2, VF5FS are all worthy of GOTY.

petghost

Banned
the nature of mainstream games has changed a lot since the nineties... from more mechanically driven stuff to more narrative driven stuff. i definitely dont foresee a fighting game or racing game or SHMUP winning anybodies goty when it is being compared to big, epic narrative based titles.

Dahbomb

8580.jpeg

Won several GOTY's back in 1999.
Yeah and that was 15 years ago. I already pointed out Tekken 3 and SC1. One could also make the case for VF4 as a GOTY contender but again... these are a couple of generations ago and times have changed where as fighting games have not (for the most part at least).

I disagree. SFIV, TTT2, VF5FS are all worthy of GOTY.
Not to me.

None of those games have the graphics or presentation to stand out among the other games that have come out in the same years. If they don't have the graphics/visuals then they have to make strides in game play innovation which none of them really did. If they didn't make game play innovation then they should've added innovations in extra modes/online match making which DEFINITELY none of them did.

VF5 could've been GOTY (the original not the expansion as expansions/updates have even less of a chance to get GOTY) because it came early in the generation where the competition from other games wasn't as strong but even then it had to compete against Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Super Mario Galaxy... yup that wasn't happening at all.

I made a post about the trend in the media(and GAF) GOTY choices

Looking back at the previous generation media picks from Cheesemeister.

2013: The Last of Us(with a lot of GTAV
2012: The Walking Dead(with plenty of Journey)
2011: Skyrim/Portal 2
2010: Mass Effect 2(RDR was close)
2009: Uncharted 2
2008: GTA4/Fallout 3
2007: Bioshock/Super Mario Galaxy

With the exception of 2012, the most GotY votes go to:

-Big AAA games, not mid-tier retail titles, downloadables, or indie productions
-90+ Metacritic
-Readily accessible to a wide variety of people, since these things are voted on consensus. Games with really deep/obtuse mechanics like the fighting game genre or DOTA2 or Platinum Games need not apply
-Can not be a handheld game, because as we all know handheld games are lesser than console/PC games. Preferably, it won't be exclusive to PC either, cuz PCs are weird and you gotta upgrade them all the time and shit and just who has the time cuz comfy couch
-Single player, because that way everyone can have the same experience to vote on instead of the crapshoot that is other people *shudders*
-Shooting people in the face/non-Nintendo games, with the rare exception of SMG and Skyrim
-Can't be an UbiSoft open-world game, which despite being factory-produced by 1,000 robots annually to hit all these marks, are just too damn bland and repetitive to win
-Must be able to sustain its popularity throughout the year. You can release early in the year(ME2, Portal 2, TLOU, RDR, Journey all came out in the first half of their respective years), but if a big critical backlash forms around you like Bioshock Infinite or Mass Effect 3, its like all the previous points on the checklist don't matter and gaming publications will pretend they didn't give it a 9/10 earlier in the year.

2012 is different because it had no game that met all those criteria. Mass Effect 3 came the closet, but the backlash was so fierce it was like its AAA multi-platform single player shooting people in the face 93 metacritic resume didn't matter. Far Cry 3 was an UbiSoft game. Thus it fell to some indie darlings to win because fuck all else was out there. It was kinda like when No Country for Old Men won and people thought the Academy has changed their ways. No stupid, it was because they wasn't a The King's Speech or the Artist released that year.

So going by this metric, the best possible contender is...Dragon Age 3: We Don't Suck This Time We Promise edition.

So multiplayer games where you have to dig into the mechanics and play with other people is just a no-go. And I typed this up before Destiny came and went like a fart in the wind.

Grakl

So multiplayer games where you have to dig into the mechanics and play with other people is just a no-go. And I typed this up before Destiny came and went like a fart in the wind.
I like this post.

Compbros

Which seems weird to me that a game with a small amount of gameplay and mostly story (TWD) can be considered for GOTY but fighters or other MP games can't. Like, why is a single player game with you playing it very little acceptable but not fighters?

Dahbomb

I completely disagree with TWD winning any GOTYs by the way.

Although 2012 was in fact a very weak year for gaming.

If we are going to talk about this year then so far I actually like Shadow of Mordor the most. I haven't actually played enough games this year to comment but that would be my pick thus far. Haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet though.

Top Bottom