• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 13-19 | The World Ends Ryu

Looks like Moe trash why are you watching it?

1b3.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So had a 35 game win streak with charizard today.

So far only character that gives me any trouble at all is Luigi but I started figuring some stuff out.

Also Rock Smashing characters with counters and armoring through the counter and killing them has been fucking hilarious.

NEO0MJ

Although 2012 was in fact a very weak year for gaming.

I thought Sleeping Dogs was pretty good but yeah it was a pretty weak year overall. GOTY for me was the Dark Souls expansion :p

Plus they have remained extremely stagnant in their implementation of actual multiplayer/online features.

What online features do you have in mind that are missing?

Just reserved Xrd and Bloodborne for a PS4 I don't even have. The hype is real.

Did the same with Bloodborne. Don't want to miss out on the LE.

CPS2

The WiiU version of Smash is gonna have a lot more modes right? And the series doesn't have the same problems as traditional fighters with its execution requirements (at least for stuff you'd find in a standard move list). So as an expert, who can count frames and stuff, Smash for WiiU could be game of the year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I made a post about the trend in the media(and GAF) GOTY choices

So multiplayer games where you have to dig into the mechanics and play with other people is just a no-go. And I typed this up before Destiny came and went like a fart in the wind.
I'm not even sure how most of these points are relevant. Whatever your "metric" is, is open to a fuckload of variability and there are so many genres represented there (stealth, action adventure, RPG, FPS, Platformer, Puzzle, etc.).

But yeah, fighting games and other genres like racing games will never majority win GotY anywhere. They are genres steeped in stigma, and no matter how much progression or novelty they offer, it's never enough for reviewers. I think understanding the mechanics is part of why that ends up being a no-go. Can't see any reviewer grinding time trials to appropriately test track design in racing games or comment on typical/atypical elevation changes; reviewers only care for nuances in certain genres [that they likely gravitate to].

I'm not even sure how most of these points are relevant. Whatever your "metric" is, is open to a fuckload of variability and there are so many genres represented there (stealth, action adventure, RPG, FPS, Platformer, Puzzle, etc.).

But yeah, fighting games and other genres like racing games will never majority win GotY anywhere. They are genres steeped in stigma, and no matter how much progression or novelty they offer, it's never enough for reviewers. I think understanding the mechanics is part of why that ends up being a no-go. Can't see any reviewer grinding time trials to appropriately test track design in racing games or comment on typical/atypical elevation changes; reviewers only care for nuances in certain genres [that they likely gravitate to].

idk about SC1, but given that the Soul series in general has always had strong low-level single-player content it's not surprising that it won GOTY (and why Lost Swords went the way it did).

The WiiU version of Smash is gonna have a lot more modes right? And the series doesn't have the same problems as traditional fighters with its execution requirements (at least for stuff you'd find in a standard move list). So as an expert, who can count frames and stuff, Smash for WiiU could be game of the year.

nope, in addition to being a fighter it's also a non-3D Mario/Zelda Nintendo game, can't have any of those in the media picks

Beckx

idk about SC1, but given that the Soul series in general has always had strong low-level single-player content it's not surprising that it won GOTY (and why Lost Swords went the way it did).

I thought SC1's mission mode was a step back from Soul Blade but it was still pretty extensive & fun. It doesn't hurt that the game looked so glorious that it holds up even today (well, for me anyway).

Dahbomb

What online features do you have in mind that are missing?
There are too many to list but I will just give a few that I feel are missing.

*Be able to spectate live matches of friends through the game client. During spectating, the guy spectating can talk to the friend within the game and coach them. This should apply to top players who are playing online from their home, I should be able to watch Justin Wong playing USF4 online through my own game.

*The console should broadcast matches of tournaments (if its hooked up to the internet) so people can watch tournament matches from within the console/game client.

*All online matches should be recorded on a server and their replays should be downloadable. Every match you ever played should be recorded in your database and you can just get the code for it and play it back whenever you want. You can do this with other people's matches as well.

*Games should display more statistics in-game of online play. I shouldn't have to go to another site to check out which character is used the most online or what is the most used move or win/loss ratios of other players etc. I also want to see more in-depth stats like trends and changes over a course of time. The stats should also be separated by level of play so you can see which characters are favored in the highest tier of play.

*More online modes that allow different ways to play. Some can be for fun modes, other can be more serious mode. Stuff like Banning Pick modes in fighting games, Custom modes, Online tournament mode etc. The whole Ranked/Unranked mode dichotomy is pretty boring by now.

*Online guides within the game. I shouldn't have to go online or on youtube to figure how to play characters. There should be modes within the game to create your own guide and then upload on the game's server so when you pick that character you can go to the option and open the guide for him. That way you can have an overlay of the guide while in training mode and you can have both video guides and simple text guides. Good guides can be upvoted within the system so you always see the good guides higher up. People who get their guides upvoted a lot can get in-game currencies or whatever.

*Better group/clan/social features. Most fighting games do not have this. Sometimes I don't want someone in my friends list but I would like to still have them around to play with. That's what groups/communities are for. They can have a "No Throws" community/group where all the people who join and play within the community have to follow those rules. There can be other communities like "Shotos" only. Clan members can get logos to put on their characters and such. Sometimes you just want to get into a Community find someone to play with or chat with without going into the Matchmaking system.

*Better reporting features or commendation. If I play against someone bad I should be able to flag him for report or if I play someone I like I should rate him as high so I am more likely to play against him. I also feel that the way leavers/ragers are handled in fighting games is very rudimentary. Leavers should be severely punished after their first offense (to cover for an accidental lag out issue).

A lot of the changes I want from fighting games is just simply better stuff than before. Better netcode, better servers, better lobbies, better matchmaking etc. They don't even have the basics down, the stuff I listed is far beyond their scope right now.

None of what I am asking is unreasonable as all these are features are in other games.

Sayah

None of those games have the graphics or presentation to stand out among the other games that have come out in the same years. If they don't have the graphics/visuals then they have to make strides in game play innovation which none of them really did. If they didn't make game play innovation then they should've added innovations in extra modes/online match making which DEFINITELY none of them did.

VF5 could've been GOTY (the original not the expansion as expansions/updates have even less of a chance to get GOTY) because it came early in the generation where the competition from other games wasn't as strong but even then it had to compete against Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Super Mario Galaxy... yup that wasn't happening at all.
That's not true. SFIV is pretty much a brand new look for the franchise after a decade hiatus. It came back in very strong form. TTT2 innovated in many areas (both game play and otherwise). Tekken Tunes, Fight Lab, World Tekken Federation service, arena mode. I also find tag assault to be the best fighting game mechanic from last gen. It's amazing how they even managed to balance that.

Dahbomb

Now that I remembered that TTT2 was released in 2012, I actually think a solid case could be made for it being GOTY for 2012.

I still wouldn't call SF4 GOTY 2008 though. I didn't even particularly like SF4 until SSF4.

pixelish said:
I think I've spent a bit too much time on this so I'll stop for now but if I've made any mistakes with my observations, please let me know. CPT is such a brilliant way of creating a narrative for the SF4 tournament scene and I applaud Capcom and Twitch for creating this tour because of this particular reason.

Great write up, I feel the same as you. I can't wait to see how this ends. I hope Fuudo gets back in the race just to make it so that other guys ahead of him can't just sit back and relax. Imagine if a few more tournaments were awarded ranking points in November. Then someone like Fuudo enters while someone like Kbrad may not be able to. Then he's going to have to sit there and hope that Fuudo doesn't finish 2nd or better to surpass him and knock him out of that final slot.

That's the type of narrative that could be written in the final week or so and I hope it goes down like that. It'd be even more exciting to watch since it's not just about GF's of the event.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sometimes, it's not even about the content necessarily, but just the way the game is perceived at a high level. Stuff like Jeff Gerstmann saying he gets demotivated to play SFIV just because he is aware that it can be played at a skill level 99.9% of people will never reach. Hell, maybe this is a perception shared by the audience they're writing for who pick up fighters and drop them faster than they would an FPS or something, but nobody wins when you help perpetuate a vicious cycle of the sort.

It's a losing battle trying to point out what reviewers are doing wrong because nothing will change. Ironically, Polygon seems to be the only outlet that gives a fuck about updating reviews as games (and your investment into the title) change (because games are essentially services now), and when they do, the gaming community shouts them down for not giving them a static number to argue over. Most major outlet reviews of Destiny came out before all of the content was even accessible (or you could even be high enough level to assess the endgame), and felt it was appropriate to review a game at face value. That tells you all you need to know about the evaluation process in games media, which translates into awards as well. The funny thing is, I wouldn't doubt a consensus from most players (enthusiast or not) would differ either.

Dahbomb

While I do agree that reviews should be updated based on content provided or patch changes made over time...

Destiny is still mediocre even with whatever they have added post launch.

Dahbomb

"DotA 2 is still mediocre even with whatever they have added post-launch"

etc.
DOTA 2 was GOTY when they first released it. It has secretly been winning GOTY for every year since it's release.

Destiny was mediocre day 1 and it's mediocre right now.

An example of a game that went from being a crap game to a decent game was D3.

I won't be able to play the demo until later in the night but I'm really looking forward to it. Is there a way to take screenshots on the PS4 and transfer them to a site or something that I can access on my PC?

Meh, the real light saber fighting game was jedi outcast, and jedi academy: Movie Battles 2 mod

fixed.

Does anyone ever get super-depressed at seeing top level, and just knowing the areas where you're never going to match up? Just knowing you're not ever going to be good enough is one of the most frustrating things in the world to me.

It makes me not want to play.
Kinda, but for a different reason. I feel very confident in my playing, and I always wonder how much better I could be if I just put in the time and gave a shit. I feel like I could make top 8 at Evo if I actually dedicated a year to seriously playing, instead of just here and there like I do now.
Online isn't great. I'd say it's slightly better than 360/PS3. Userbase had some more people from that sale that came up but it's still kinda small.
Guess I might pass on it then. Unfortunate since I can get it for like 8 bucks.

Grakl

Crossposting:
So the bottom row of buttons of my Eightarc Ebony Fusion are randomly not functioning and then, after a bit of time, functioning again. Any idea why this might happen?

I generally don't even include fighting games when I talk about all time favorite games, GOTY, etc. Otherwise fighting games would just dominate my list. I give fighting games their own separate list.

I guess that goes for multiplayer games in general for me though. Otherwise, TF2 would be my GOTY for the rest of eternity.

Sayah

Now that I remembered that TTT2 was released in 2012, I actually think a solid case could be made for it being GOTY for 2012.

Too bad gaming journalists didn't recognize that. :/

Tekken didn't even win most awards for best fighting game that year. I think a lot of it went to Persona 4, which is also probably a great game.....but....eh.

IGN review actually complained about there being too many characters and the AI being too difficult. Then again, I don't expect better from a staff that plays Tekken by button mashing.

Village

From the PC mod dimension

Tekken didn't even win most awards for best fighting game that year. I think a lot of it went to Persona 4, which is also probably a great game.....but....eh.

IGN review actually complained about there being too many characters and the AI being too difficult. Then again, I don't expect better from a staff that plays Tekken by button mashing.

TTT2 is under-appreciated

Kumubou

There are too many to list but I will just give a few that I feel are missing.
I just wanted to point out that Dahbomb basically want's Dota 2's online functionality in a fighting game... and that would be amazing, but I don't think any developer of fighting games today has either the resources or the interest to actually do that. Valve is a crazy outlier in terms of developers compared to anyone, never mind the ass-backwards publishers that most fighting games come out of.

P4A actually has a bunch of content that is around the speed of most videogame reviewers. What got added to TTT2 was great... if you wanted to play Tekken.

Dahbomb

If someone released a fighting game tomorrow that was almost universally accepted by the FGC to be the greatest fighting GOAT and even had all those online features listed... it would still not win GOTY.

Basically being the best FG is not good enough whereas some game could be just above average in its genre and win GOTY based on production values alone.

Also ViewtifulJC didn't say in his post but I will highlight that games that are perceived to have good stories that are presented well also have a good shot at GOTY. TWD, TLOU, Bioshock etc. FGs have always struggled here.

Top Bottom