• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of October 20th to October 26th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

i1w9FMsHAFyCd.jpg

82a938cb-aa26-4735-b079-e56048483035_profile.jpg

Last week, on October 17, 2014, fighting game community member Terrance Moore, better known as "PushaTee88" passed away. Moore was a member of the Southern California Killer Instinct scene, and frequently participated in tournaments at Super Arcade. Our hearts go out to Moore's wife, children, friends and family who have to deal with this tragic loss.

Super Arcade has set up a YouCaring fundraising page to help out Moore's immediate family in these times, and if you wish to donate, you can do so through that page.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Capcom Pro Tour Asia Finals [ Schedule ] [ Saturday ] [ 3PM Singapore | 3AM EDT | 12AM PDT ]
  • Game Start 2014 will host the Asia finals for the Pro Tour in Singapore, featuring a USFIV showcase and challenge with Ono and Daigo on Saturday, and the finals themselves on Sunday.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
TOPANGA LEAGUE 4 (B) [ Sunday ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iblM5jIuM9QmMM.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our most synchronized member, !

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Right now I'm playing more UNIBEL than anything else. I didn't expect to like the game so much. It really does have more in common with Street Fighter than something like, say, BlazBlue. I still boot up USIV every now and then, but I've fallen out of love with the game honestly. Especially playing online with it.

My all time favorite? Jeez, what a difficult question. I've put in absurd number of hours into Soul Calibur II as a kid where my only local competition was usually my brother, and then there was the similarly dumb number of hours put into the Smash games with my friends, but I don't feel comfortable calling either of them my very favorite just because of nostalgia + time invested.

I guess I'll have to say Super Street Fighter IV, as in the vanilla version before all the updates, simply because it was the first game where I really began caring about learning how to properly play the game, to begin thinking during matches, and realized how deep fighting games could really be. And though most hated the slow pace "downback fighter" of plain old Super, I personally loved it! In retrospect, the relatively slow pace was pretty ideal for easing me into more competitive play.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I gotta say, I'm a really big fan of Under Night in-Birth's GRD meter and how it influences individual play.

For those that don't know, the GRD guage is the thingamajig in the center of the screen between each players' regular super meter bars. GRD is important because every 17 seconds the players with the most GRD will be rewarded with "Vorpal", which is basically like a very very tame version of X-factor. In Vorpal your character does 10% more damage for as long as he stays in vorpal or he can sacrifice his vorpal state to do one of these:

- A roman cancel (called "chain shift") that also converts any GRD meter you currently have into regular super meter (1 full GRD box = 20 super meter)
- A guard cancel (which, outside of vorpal, normally uses up all you super meter and temporarily "crushes" your side of the GRD gauge so that you can't gain any GRD or gain access to vorpal)

So GRD and Vorpal are pretty important as you can see! Someone who can consistently get vorpal while on the offensive can quickly overwhelm the other guy if they're not paying attention, but on the other hand someone who can gain vorpal on the defensive suddenly has more options available to him and it becomes easier to mount a comeback.

Each player gains and loses GRD depending on certain actions: Aggressive actions that move you forward, like simply walking forward, will generate GRD for example while walking or dashing backwards will lose GRD (while simultaneously giving your opponent GRD). However, defensive actions like properly blocking attacks will also generate GRD (teching throws taking away GRD from the attacker). Someone can have great pressure and make you feel locked down in the corner, but if you're blocking and teching everything then you're going to be the one that ends up with vorpal. Which I think is rad. Only game I can think of which actively rewards good blocking with something other than not losing all your health.

So it becomes interesting how the constant struggle for GRD begins influencing the way people might normally play. For example, many times now I've held my ground or even moved forward aggressively in situations where in other games I would have normally preferred to backdash to create space. Against patient players I'm more reserved (or at least I should be) in my projectile and long range normals harassment because every blocked hit is actively giving them GRD and eventually vorpal which could massively bite me in the ass.

Other than that, I also think Skullgirls' custom assists and the game's version of the ratio system are pretty cool. I think together they allow people some nice flexibility in finding teams that really fit them and the way they want to play.

My least favorite huh. Is saying X-factor too cliche? I can't think of anything else. It's Level 2 & 3 specifically that bother me.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Well, my brother did when I was younger because he needed someone to beat on, haha.

But the real answer is actually GAF's original Street Fighter IV threads, which I only lurked for a long time, and the tournament stream threads of 2010. It was actually a stick deal MarkMan posted in the EVO 2010 thread that pushed me over the edge. I bought the stick without owning any fighting games for the 360 yet lol

I remember the deal too! $50 off a TE round 1 with free ground shipping. Came with a cool little arcade stick keychain that had an allen key inside of it (that I used years later to dual mod it). Still own and use that stick! Thanks, MarkMan.

The guys in the old SSIV thread and gafranbats IRC channel really helped me out a lot. Thanks a lot, fellas.

Other than fighting games, I play all sorts of stuff. Shooters, platformers, puzzle games, action, RPG, etc. I'm pretty omnivorous in that sense. Only games I don't enjoy playing are sim sport games. I especially like rougelikes or rougelites or whatever the fuck people want to call them. Spelunky is my jam. It's the sort of game I can always come back to for a quick run through. Also been playing a lot of Destiny since my brother bribed me to play with my nephews while he's busy. It's a flawed game, but I enjoy messing around in it with family.

Here's a random confession: I've never finished a Mario game other than Thousand Year Door. Wait, no, I think I may have beaten Mario Sunshine too.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Peacock from Skullgirls without question. She is one of my favorite designs in video games. She is an insane, murderous, foul mouthed cartoon character come to life inspired by old American cartoons spanning from Steamboat Willie to Tex Avery's generation. And her attacks and movement make good use of that inspiration. What's there not to love?

Besides all that, she also plays like my most ideal character! Fill the screen with shit and annoy the other guy to death. God damn was playing the original Peacock/Double team so much fun. And fucked up. But still fun! I frauded my way to so many victories online with Double's stupid fully invincible butt slam assist. I even made my way to top 8 of a local tourney in Jersey without knowing a single god damn combo (to be fair to everyone that dealt with my bullshit, this wasn't too long after the game's release). RIP Team Kusoge

Honorary mentions to Dormammu whom I've never been able to play properly and Hilda from Under Night.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
It depends on the game, really. In the Soul Calibur games I always played Taki (and then Natsu) who is a pretty aggressive in-your-face kind of character. In Skullgirls I play a super lame runaway style team built around letting Peacock fill the screen with bullshit at her leisure. While I feel like my Rose play in Ultra is sort of a shitty mix. Normally, I think I end up leaning towards lamer play and I think my Rose reflects that. Maybe. I like characters that have good far reaching normals and projectiles. Which is probably why I think Hilda is fucking awesome.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My biggest weakness is definitely my patience. How can I properly play a lame game with no patience? The answer is I don't! Which fucks me over. No patience on defense also fucks me over. Always trying to press a button, to jump, to backdash, to throw, when the correct answer is just fucking block. After that I'd say laziness (see: username) is my second biggest weakness and holds me back from improving.

My biggest strengths? I'm not sure actually. I like to think I'm pretty alright in the neutral game. I'm also not afraid to abuse cheap shit, which is pretty useful in the first few weeks of a game's life, haha
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
"Career" is kind of awkward wording. I wouldn't say I've had any sort of career playing fighting games, really. That said, my worst moments playing fighting games are probably every time I've gone 0-2 in the locals I've entered. I played especially shit at a certain DTN qualifier. Or that one time Red Ranger danced all over my ass with Blanka.

Best moment is probably the brief time I convinced near all my friends to pick up SSIV. Good times. There was also that one time I sent LI Joe to losers because lol Peacock/Double. It was a tourney soon after launch at Next Level. There were like 6 people lol
What do you want from future fighting games?
All the user friendly no-brainer features that Mike Z likes to champion becoming standard. Having to hold start for a few frames during a match before the game actually pauses for example. The little things like that. Individually they may not be a big deal, but all together I think they go a long way to making your time with a game more enjoyable.

I'd like to see someone not called Nintendo to further experiment with the Smash-style of fighter.

Stronger overall PC support.

Fucking Darkstalkers Skullgirls 2

More than anything I really want all the big famous devs to come up with completely new IP and go bonkers. I'd really love to see new experimental stuff that pushes the limit of what a "fighting game" is. I'm not holding my breath for it though.

There's more things, but my brain is feeling a bit fried.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Solune Joule or Uraizen. Ocean Blue if both of them have already done it.

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
11/13  Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (JP) (NA/EU: TBD)
11/21  Persona 4 Ultimax (EU)
11/21  Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (NA) (EU: 12/05, JP/AUS: 12/06)
12/04  Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- (JP) (NA: 12/16)
Q4     Arcana Heart 3: LOVE MAX!!!!! (EU)
Q4     BLADE ARCUS from Shining
Q4     Rise of Incarnates
Q4     Skullgirls Encore
Q4     Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
SPRING Dead or Alive 5: LAST ROUND
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I didn't know PushaTee88 but my thoughts go out to his family. I can't imagine how heartbreaking it must be to lose someone so young, and so suddenly.

Thores

Good thread title choice. RIP.

I just noticed that the upcoming games calendar is missing Pokken Tournament for 2015. Is that deliberate since we're unsure how much of a fighting game it is mechanically, or just an oversight?

I watched the KI S2 Quick Look EX from Giant Bomb today, and while I'll probably never play it, I feel like it looked better than what I've seen before. Was nice to hear Dave Lang talk about Iron Galaxy's experience working with Killer Instinct too.

Good choice on thread title too, of course. Hopefully I can donate some money to help his family out. Rest in peace Pushatee

I'll never get an interview it looks like qq qq qq qq semi Kappa

kirblar

I watched the KI S2 Quick Look EX from Giant Bomb today, and while I'll probably never play it, I feel like it looked better than what I've seen before. Was nice to hear Dave Lang talk about Iron Galaxy's experience working with Killer Instinct too.

Good choice on thread title too, of course. Hopefully I can donate some money to help his family out. Rest in peace Pushatee

The game is now actively watchable on stream. I actually don't mind watching it now. Hat's off to the guys there. I just wish they'd fix those awful, awful muddy shadow effects.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I watched Persona Ultimax' Quick Look today and all I could think of was why they though it was a good idea to include so many damn mechanics in that game. Going through the tutorial was like being screened because of terrorist suspicions or something.

Made me think additional tutorials should unlock after a few games or at least be in separate menus because there's no way in the current set up that someone could go through and retain half of those mechanics.

Rainy

Banned
R.I.P

This whole Viscant and LTG thing isn't what Super Arcade needs right now imo. If they do have a match.

The game is now actively watchable on stream. I actually don't mind watching it now. Hat's off to the guys there. I just wish they'd fix those awful, awful muddy shadow effects.

As long as the sound isn't so loud that the bass fucking rattles your chest at next Evo I'll probably watch it more.

I watched Persona Ultimax' Quick Look today and all I could think of was why they though it was a good idea to include so many damn mechanics in that game. Going through the tutorial was like being screened because of terrorist suspicions or something.

Made me think additional tutorials should unlock after a few games or at least be in separate menus because there's no way in the current set up that someone could go through and retain half of those mechanics.

Yeah, stuff like the S-Hold system just seems sort of like a pointless addition up from the auto combo. Auto combo is neat and seems like an actual way to be able to fight but S-Hold seems like a bit much.

But yeah, no kidding. P4A/P4AU are the only Arcsys fighters I've played, does BB and GG have all those sorts of systems? There are times I legit forget that there's a guard cancel roll or an alpha cancel, there's just so much shit in that game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
royally lost a FT5 tonight on blackstar's stream (5-1) and I'm feeling like shit about it. gonna take some work to put the pieces back together, but I don't feel up to it at all yet.

WarRock

Only game I can think of which actively rewards good blocking with something other than not losing all your health.
Hm, only other mechanic that I can remember is Just Defense in Garou MotW, that recovered your health a little bit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
did those Low tiergod guy really say Chris G has a dapper appeal? And that he has New York swag? I mean, shit, you should at least use Rico as an example or something.

But really, dude sounds mad as hell over video games. Got Viscant posting pictures of tables with coke residue and money on them. Hope this leads to the next great MM in fighting games.

Shouta

apparently, r/kappa wanted to send sako to dreamhack winter but his management said they would have to pay $1000 for appearance fee.

This does not surprise me at all. Considering Sako has a family to take care of, him going to a tournament means money out of his pocket in the end. So just flying him out is not enough in that case. They need to cover his working wages and manager fees for that time.

Sounds like a reason why Daigo isn't showing up to international tourneys as well. Managers probably asking for a fat amount of cash.

I don't think Daigo is interested in going overseas all the time is the big thing for him but fees could be it or he tries not to take time off his job.

Omega

Banned
wow..RIP

what happened to him? I'm almost positive I watched him at The Runback playing Killer Instinct

:(

did those Low tiergod guy really say Chris G has a dapper appeal? And that he has New York swag? I mean, shit, you should at least use Rico as an example or something.

But really, dude sounds mad as hell over video games. Got Viscant posting pictures of tables with coke residue and money on them. Hope this leads to the next great MM in fighting games.

sounds like a very vapid person. or extremely concerned with appearance.

and also chrisG swag? bruh.

Zissou

Fighting game devs need to learn how to tutorial, period. If you do it well enough, people shouldn't even realize they're playing a tutorial. Like secretly, literally 50% of the first Portal was the tutorial for the second half- that is where devs should look for inspiration. Taking it that far might be impossible, but making tutorials useful and fun (i.e., something even casual players would want to do) is doable for sure. Like in melee, the character-specific target challenges were actually forcing people to use a lot of their characters basic move-set to reach, but nobody felt like they were doing 'work.' Skullgirls is given credit for it's tutorials and to give credit where credit is due, they are better than most, but they still feel like tutorials (i.e., a chore).

Dahbomb

Lowtiergod dodging like Neo in the Matrix.

Viscant putting down $500 on that shit. LTG says he will only accept if Viscant accepts his challenge to a physical fight.

pdiddyreacts.gif

yoooooooooooooooo the mcdonalds monopoly pieces in viscant's money pic.

Thats it im done. i got work in the morning and this is gonna suck me in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
thought the vid was kinda funny and the hygiene portion actually needs to be said. Kinda rude he picked on viscant like that tho.
I imagined Viscant would just reply with some purity or redhead-avoidance jokes but looking at his timeline, seems like Viscant took that shit real personal, real quick. I just hope it doesn't leave to a physical altercation.

The hygiene stuff.. yeah. I can pretty firmly say my high school gym change room smelled 100x nicer than the wafting sweat and moisture at Toryuken 2.

NEO0MJ

So this Honda player I was playing earlier who was using turbo to do the ex hands combos online is using top players having extra buttons as an excuse.

I kinda understand. hand combos are so difficult. I could kinda do them with Gen during the super days but not anymore. Need to practice them again.

Omega

Banned
so i went to viscant's twitter to see what you guys were talking about

Apparently trying to fight a dude over video games is cool, but playing for money is for nerds.

Who is this clown?

Kumubou

Fighting game devs need to learn how to tutorial, period. If you do it well enough, people shouldn't even realize they're playing a tutorial. Like secretly, literally 50% of the first Portal was the tutorial for the second half- that is where devs should look for inspiration. Taking it that far might be impossible, but making tutorials useful and fun (i.e., something even casual players would want to do) is doable for sure. Like in melee, the character-specific target challenges were actually forcing people to use a lot of their characters basic move-set to reach, but nobody felt like they were doing 'work.' Skullgirls is given credit for it's tutorials and to give credit where credit is due, they are better than most, but they still feel like tutorials (i.e., a chore).
I think the issue with that is in order to have a proper teaching system like that, you would need to have a pretty fleshed out single player component, which is pretty much never in the budget. That and it would also entail a fair bit more design work, to make sure things are actually tuned properly. That and I wonder how many development teams that work primary on fighting games have real experience in other genres.

Credit to Wonkey.

Speculation is that Tekken 7 is coming out in arcades February 2015.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/524062181403279365
I figured the game would come out late this year or early 2015 -- and I would also pencil in the console/PC version for fall 2015 (just like everything else in this industry right now).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Apparently trying to fight a dude over video games is cool, but playing for money is for nerds.

Who is this clown?
At least he confirmed Marvel is for baebies:

Dalauan Sparrow ‏@LOWTI3RGOD
I refuse to play @JayViscant for money this ain't fucking marvel. I work hard for my Shit this dude clearly still lives at home.

Also just for the shits and giggles:

@JayViscant
.@LOWTI3RGOD That's all there is to it. When your girl asks where your balls are, send her my number cause I own them now bitch.

ibjlWkbLyyCBsC.gif

Who is this clown?

Yet another dude people shouldn't have paid any attention a while ago.

It's stupid that it's come to physical threats but I wish this whole money match or nothing mentality would die as well. It used to be that when you announced "ft5/10" before playing the set, there was no denying that it meant something.

Azure J

I love when Viscant randomly comes out with some Ether. It's like even when you know he's capable of it, you never him to go at it like that and it just makes the end result that much funnier. :lol

That said, video games™.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Tutorials like that only really work for simple, more restrictive games with clear and straight forward solutions/win conditions.

The famous Megaman X first stage only works because you only have three options to choose from. Jump, Shoot and Dash.

I think multiplayer games are also a completely different beast from single player games. The rooms in portal often have one or two sanctioned solutions that the game guides you towards figuring out. It's a lot harder to train people for the open ended problem solving of fighting games and other multiplayer games since more often than not players end up playing in ways the developers never intended them to. In single player games developers can control the difficulty and challenges within the game and the level of proficiency required to clear them, but in multiplayer games that's all up to the players.

Personally, I don't really think fighting games have a lot in common with modern video games. They just have the misfortune of sharing the same collective label(and as a result, some of the same entertainment expectations) as them. I think there are probably more effective ways to teach people fighting games, but I don't really think we'll find them looking at what other video games are doing, and honestly I don't really think it's something devs should be allocating resources towards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tutorials like that only really work for simple, more restrictive games with clear and straight forward solutions/win conditions.

The famous Megaman X first stage only works because you only have three options to choose from. Jump, Shoot and Dash.

I think multiplayer games are also a completely different beast from single player games. The rooms in portal often have one or two sanctioned solutions that the game guides you towards figuring out. It's a lot harder to train people for the open ended problem solving of fighting games and other multiplayer games since more often than not players end up playing in ways the developers never intended them to. In single player games developers can control the difficulty and challenges within the game and the level of proficiency required to clear them, but in multiplayer games that's all up to the players.

Personally, I don't really think fighting games have a lot in common with modern video games. They just have the misfortune of sharing the same collective label as them. I think there are probably more effective ways to teach people fighting games, but I don't really think we'll find them looking at what other video games are doing, and honestly I don't really think it's something devs should be allocating resources towards.
Good post.

I sometimes feel like it's a zero sum game, but I do think there are a significant number of people that pay attention to resources presented in the game only, and you could potentially teach (and even better engage) players by feeding them new information or simple-design activities as the metagame evolves. Something as simple as a SRK RSS feed in-game to keep you up with tournament happenings. Or more realistically, a feed curated by a community manager that can provide insight on videos and perhaps even link it to a tutorial or in-game demo.

As long as people are out there going HAM training in more complex games like LoL, but not for fighting games, I will forever believe genre stigma (or dynamics) is a bigger threat to genre growth than a lack of tutorial options. This is why I hope SFV (or ideally, a blockbuster new IP) functions as a sort of tabula rasa for the genre again.

Kumubou

As long as people are out there going HAM training in more complex games like LoL, but not for fighting games, I will forever believe genre stigma (or dynamics) is a bigger threat to genre growth than a lack of tutorial options. This is why I hope SFV (or ideally, a blockbuster new IP) functions as a sort of tabula rasa for the genre again.
How much of it is genre stigma and how much of it is other business considerations? I can't see someone like Capcom having more success with a MOBA. I think games like LoL and Dota 2 are as big as they are despite how convoluted their mechanics are, not because of it. Don't underestimate how much the low-friction nature of getting started helps with their player bases, either. That's partially a design decision and partially business.

I really think the biggest things holding fighting games back as a genre is the fact that the biggest games are developed and published by the likes of Capcom and ArcSys. They're not agile enough nor attuned enough to the current market to really blow things up.

Zissou

Personally, I don't really think fighting games have a lot in common with modern video games. They just have the misfortune of sharing the same collective label as them. I think there are probably more effective ways to teach people fighting games, but I don't really think we'll find them looking at what other video games are doing, and honestly I don't really think it's something devs should be allocating resources towards.

I think it's all fundamentally a thing with how humans learn, and it applies to everything, even though competitive multiplayer/fighting games are very different from single player games.

Personally, I don't really think fighting games have a lot in common with modern video games. They just have the misfortune of sharing the same collective label(and as a result, some of the same entertainment expectations) as them. I think there are probably more effective ways to teach people fighting games, but I don't really think we'll find them looking at what other video games are doing, and honestly I don't really think it's something devs should be allocating resources towards.
You can teach anything through a mini-game.

At least he confirmed Marvel is for baebies:

Dalauan Sparrow ‏@LOWTI3RGOD
I refuse to play @JayViscant for money this ain't fucking marvel. I work hard for my Shit this dude clearly still lives at home.

Also just for the shits and giggles:

@JayViscant
.@LOWTI3RGOD That's all there is to it. When your girl asks where your balls are, send her my number cause I own them now bitch.

ibjlWkbLyyCBsC.gif

holy shit lol

Rainy

Banned
James Chen: It's great to watch something like LoL Worlds and hope FGC gets there some day, but know that we're only getting there in one of two ways:1) Really hard work for the next few years and everyone working together. 2) Getting ridiculously lucky somehow. I'd rather chase after #1. It takes a tremendous amount of multiple pieces working together like a fine-tuned machine to reach that level. We're not there yet. Let's keep pushing forward together and SF or Smash or MK or whatever can reach this level. We still have many steps to take. Don't rush it.

Stuff we've all heard before, but isn't the appeal to a lot of people that FGC is not e-sports? It's interesting to think about, and the FGC is growing, but reaching LoL heights seems unimaginable at this point. I suppose a brand new awesome game (probably a new SF) could help too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That's the thing though, Multiplayer games are only as complex as you make them. People aren't playing League of Legends because they're good at it or learning the game. TRUST ME.

They're playing it just because they have fun. My friend and I dodged down to sub 600 ELO one season just to see what it was like. There are dudes down there with like 200+ games in ranked. They don't know anything about how the game works on any level but they still play that much

This reminds me of that "plz stop harassing me" guy asking for a print out of all the SF4 character special moves so that he could just reference it and play random select online. Everyone got on his case but on the low, I LOVED his attitude and approach towards the game. He didn't care about combos or "learning to play properly" or any other bullshit he couldn't be bothered with. He just wanted to have a printout with the movesets and he was going to make his own fun.

That's the biggest thing I think is holding fighting games back. That stigma that if you aren't learning to be competitive there's no point in playing them. Instead of tricking people into learning all this bullshit they don't care about, Fighting game devs should just be communicating to players why their game is fun. The people that actually have the desire and ability to play at that next level, will do so. Not everyone needs to to have fun though. League of Legends is proof of that if nothing else.

Top Bottom