• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

alstein

I still remember how aggressive some older SRK members were towards member that joined in 2009. Now it feels kinda like a wasteland, and a lot of character forums seem dead.

A Disney Catoon called Gravity Falls. It's really good.

SRK went into the shitter, and communities moved to Facebook. Those two things killed SRK.

As for the e-sports model, I think a lot of players wouldn't like it because they wouldn't be invited to compete- and ultimately, I don't think FGC is wannabe E-sports. It's wannabe WSOP.

When you think about it, entering Evo and being able to put your money up is the same appeal as entering the WSOP, just without the luck factor that poker brings that gives it a bit of a lottery feel as well. Every year in the WSOP it feels like one random makes it to the final table. Evo the top 8 are usually all name brands, at least in their home country. (That said, WSOP is once a year, FGC is more insular with more relatively popular side events)

If the FGC is looking for inspiration, they are looking in the wrong place with LOL.

Treating the PC as the main "console" I do think is a must to grow as well. Console's only have a limited amount of time left.

Lemstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";135097264]Can you imagine if there was a new capcom fighter every 12-18 months? SFV one year, maybe Darkstalkers the next, then Super SFV, then Rival Schools. It'd be great. [/QUOTE]
Exactly what ArcSys does?

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
SRK went into the shitter, and communities moved to Facebook. Those two things killed SRK.

As for the e-sports model, I think a lot of players wouldn't like it because they wouldn't be invited to compete- and ultimately, I don't think FGC is wannabe E-sports. It's wannabe WSOP.

When you think about it, entering Evo and being able to put your money up is the same appeal as entering the WSOP, just without the luck factor that poker brings that gives it a bit of a lottery feel as well.

If the FGC is looking for inspiration, they are looking in the wrong place with LOL.

and treat every different fighting game like a different card game. I see where you're coming from

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Boy, did they ever.

SRK was the one, final reason why I installed Adblock. In, like, 2011 or 2012 or so. I could literally tolerate all the other waves of advertisement on the internet in all of their unsavory forms for that many years, but that forum was what finally pushed me over the edge. It's astounding how literally broken that website was for so long, and by the time they bothered to fix it, it was well on its way to becoming a ghost town compared to its former self.

FSLink

Banned
I think this is a good idea, or even simply stuff like KI's melds/Bungie's pop-up menus. On the flipside, I think if someone wants that information, they will take the effort to seek it out, so making them aware is probably sufficient as opposed to showing every piece of tech that comes out for Marvel 3 like an Eventhubs feed.

Yeah I don't disagree, but I do think there should be a hub regardless with a community manager running it. Maybe even integrate it with twitch so more people are aware of official tournament streams.

alstein

Boy, did they ever.

SRK was the one, final reason why I installed Adblock. In, like, 2011 or 2012 or so. I could literally tolerate all the other waves of advertisement on the internet in all of their unsavory forms for that many years, but that forum was what finally pushed me over the edge. It's astounding how literally broken that website was for so long, and by the time they bothered to fix it, it was well on its way to becoming a ghost town compared to its former self.

Yet people tolerate eventscrubs which is just as bad.

Then again, this might be another issue with monetizing the FGC, FGC folks are not only relatively poor and minorities so not a desirable marketing community (it's like pro wrestling in that regard), they're very bullshit-savvy.

In another aspect, something like indy wrestling is an inspiration to the FGC in terms of trying to build things organically. Then again, indy wrestling gets inspired by fighting games with stuff like Ken the Box and Kenny Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpR1gzJiXk

What happens when Sawada from the SF Movie fights Mokujin.

Every year around the time of the International or LCS Worlds there's a bunch of "why can't the FGC be like that?" complaints but in my experience EVO gets more positive heartfelt press coverage than either of those two events, even if in recent years it's been partly due to the "resurgence" of Melee.

If you're asking why it doesn't get the sort of money those events do, it's because fighting games (besides Killer Instinct) aren't backed by massively successful multibillion dollar companies. There are also many games that are much more financially successful than any fighting game which struggle to get as much visibility on their big competitive events.

As a whole I think the FGC does pretty well. If players aren't happy competing for peanuts, they need to realize that LoL and Dota players that practice 2 hours a day and play a tournament twice a month probably earn less than they do. If you want the big bucks you gotta be willing to grind 12 hours a day to compete with the Koreans that will come and take it from you.

Zissou

That's the thing though, Multiplayer games are only as complex as you make them. People aren't playing League of Legends because they're good at it or learning the game. TRUST ME.

They're playing it just because they have fun. My friend and I dodged down to sub 600 ELO one season just to see what it was like. There are dudes down there with like 200+ games in ranked. They don't know anything about how the game works on any level but they still play that much

This reminds me of that "plz stop harassing me" guy asking for a print out of all the SF4 character special moves so that he could just reference it and play random select online. Everyone got on his case but on the low, I LOVED his attitude and approach towards the game. He didn't care about combos or "learning to play properly" or any other bullshit he couldn't be bothered with. He just wanted to have a printout with the movesets and he was going to make his own fun.

That's the biggest thing I think is holding fighting games back. That stigma that if you aren't learning to be competitive there's no point in playing them. Instead of tricking people into learning all this bullshit they don't care about, Fighting game devs should just be communicating to players why their game is fun. The people that actually have the desire and ability to play at that next level, will do so. Not everyone needs to to have fun though. League of Legends is proof of that if nothing else.

There's still plenty more devs could do to teach basic stuff. Post release support (as the community finds new tech, adding tutorials etc. to teach the tech) and/or the player-driven community hub where players could teach each other could both accomplish this.

"Playing for fun" is totally fine but even playing for fun, you ought to know the basics. They way you're presenting it, you can either play for fun or play to win Evo or something, where "playing for fun" is that move-list guy's method. Playing chess for fun still involves knowing how the pieces move. Playing basketball for fun still involves knowing you get points when the ball goes in the hoop. Playing fighting games by mashing like a nut is not really playing fighting games. Devs need to at least teach you the basics. You don't even need to know THAT much. Like if you were the move-list guy and you tried to play Rose in SF4 with only the commands for her specials as your guide, you wouldn't really be playing Rose. If you had the specials and the notes "anti air with cr.HP, poke/whiff punish with st.MK, cr.MP, st.HK, fwd.HK, cr.MP xx soul spiral is really good, her backdash is a good escape option, dash up throw/st.closeMK is a good mix-up, have fun!" then you'd actually be playing the game. That's not even that much information!

Someone should go around and ask LoL players why they don't play fighting games instead.

LoL is a team-based FTP game that you likely already have the hardware to play. Not hard to understand the popularity difference, IMO. Fighting games could be at least two of those things. I'm still waiting for a legit FTP PC fighting game that's at least decent. I think something like that could really blow up.

That's why I quit league. I figured that if I lost, I wanted the blame to rest solely on me for not getting gud. It's not really a popular mindset, but it works out okay

My exact reasoning for quitting.

Hmm. Maybe it is that simple. FGC too minority driven for the big money.

Come on- every professional sport in the U.S. is minority driven.

Anne

What's a fuzzyjump again.. ?

Well in regards to BB, it's when you perform 1 > 7+barrier tech > 1. It's a defensive option select that allows you to barrier jump out of a string, tech a throw, or just block out at the string depending on what option your opponent chooses (there's more to it than that but that's the gist). If you watch high level BB and see barrier flash and somebody stand up or jump out a string, that's probably what they did. Note this can be called otu and beaten.

Since Terumi's mix up really is just mids, frame traps, and throws, this makes it a nightmare for him to try and open somebody up. With j.2D being nerfed, I really wonder what ASW wants him to do.

Ye this. Note Persona players are using a version of this OS and other defensive OSes as well. They've become pretty prevelant in those games recently.

Lord Knight has a website? I guess you need something to occupy your time once you've resigned yourself to only ever being the second best Mitsuru in the US.

I see.

So if he leaves a hole in his offense you hop out and air barrier the rest, if he does a proper blockstring you continue blocking and if he throws you tech it?

Is it an Arcsys thing, does it exist in GG too?

Anne

I see.

So if he leaves a hole in his offense you hop out and air barrier the rest, if he does a proper blockstring you continue blocking and if he throws you tech it?

Is it an Arcsys thing, does it exist in GG too?

From what I've been told is that this is an adaptation of GG tech, but I'm not informed enough to say how that works.

Edit: Abegen coming to NEC it looks like https://twitter.com/abegen21/status/524142936401788928

Well in regards to BB, it's when you perform 1 > 7+barrier tech > 1. It's a defensive option select that allows you to barrier jump out of a string, tech a throw, or just block out at the string depending on what option your opponent chooses (there's more to it than that but that's the gist). If you watch high level BB and see barrier flash and somebody stand up or jump out a string, that's probably what they did. Note this can be called otu and beaten.

It's still really weird to me that Barrier teching is a thing that exists in the game. A+B = Barrier and B+C = Throw Tech so to see the game actively prioritize the A+B to allow barrier in the A+B+C combination and that it both barrier and grab techs strikes me as something very quirky about the system as a whole. And it's not like throws in BlazBlue are particularly strong to begin with, you have a huge tech window and the opponent has to basically be on top of you for them to be in the right range for it.

What are the counters to it? I know characters like Tager and Bullet can straight up AA grab you out of the situation due to the unblockable nature of their stuff but what options would other characters have to address it? Some meaty button to catch them as they rise into a low to take out them holding 7?

Anne

It's still really weird to me that Barrier teching is a thing that exists in the game. A+B = Barrier and B+C = Throw Tech so to see the game actively prioritize the A+B to allow barrier in the A+B+C combination and that it both barrier and grab techs strikes me as something very quirky about the system as a whole. And it's not like throws in BlazBlue are particularly strong to begin with, you have a huge tech window and the opponent has to basically be on top of you for them to be in the right range for it.

What are the counters to it? I know characters like Tager and Bullet can straight up AA grab you out of the situation due to the unblockable nature of their stuff but what options would other characters have to address it? Some meaty button to catch them as they rise into a low to take out them holding 7?

Call it out with a delayed attack, I know you can TRM it too. TRM is basically there to tell people to stop barrier teching.

Stopped using SRK the moment they switched over to their new forum layout a couple years back. Never looked back.

Call it out with a delayed attack, I know you can TRM it too. TRM is basically there to tell people to stop barrier teching.

I honestly never considered intentionally making use of that mechanic. Somehow its improved my opinion of the entire system in the game.

Anne

Stopped using SRK the moment they switched over to their new forum layout a couple years back. Never looked back.

I honestly never considered intentionally making use of that mechanic. Somehow its improved my opinion of the entire system in the game.

A lot of players pretty much ignore TRM until they get further along, it's basically essential later on down the road. The best TRMs are when somebody whiffs a jab over a croucher a couple times and then just grabs the barrier tech lol. Same thing with somebody doing a couple blocked A2A j.As then purple grabbing and then TRM happens.

Kimosabae

Banned
Sixfortyfive knows what's up. Elaborate tutorials are a waste on anyone that's not an enthusiast. They accomplish the exact opposite of what most people expect them to.

Fighting games aren't hard.

did those Low tiergod guy really say Chris G has a dapper appeal? And that he has New York swag? I mean, shit, you should at least use Rico as an example or something.

But really, dude sounds mad as hell over video games. Got Viscant posting pictures of tables with coke residue and money on them. Hope this leads to the next great MM in fighting games.

That video was effing hilarious(if the pathetic way). Viscant should've just ignored.

i feel like the FGC=MMA before TUF. can the FGC ever get something like TUF to make it mainstream? i doubt it.

Reminds me of the Giant Bomb Podcast where they talked about the corporate nature of fighting games. If I find it, I'll link it. T'is pretty interesting.

Kimosabae

Banned
And if we're looking at LoL for inspiration, it's all about casting as wide a net as possible. Fighters on consoles fail to do that effectively for two reasons:

1. They simply don't offer much if you're not a competitive person.
2. They're on consoles.

If you want more people taking fighting games seriously, more people have to be playing them in general.

alstein

And if we're looking at LoL for inspiration, it's all about casting as wide a net as possible. Fighters on consoles fail to do that effectively for two reasons:

1. They simply don't offer much if you're not a competitive person.
2. They're on consoles.

If you want more people taking fighting games seriously, more people have to be playing them in general.

There's more difference between casual and competitive FG's than casual/competitive LOL.

Casuals in FGs play for the story, there is no story mode in LOL. Also, the team based part of casual LOL allows for folks to get carried/which covers up for sucking a good bit.

That said, this also makes low-level LOL toxic, which is why I will never play a MOBA. I'd go anime before playing a MOBA.

There's more difference between casual and competitive FG's than casual/competitive LOL.

Casuals in FGs play for the story, there is no story mode in LOL.

It's a story about a self-reliant genius that's repeatedly betrayed by the incompetence and narrow-mindedness of the people society wants him to carry. It's basically the story of Atlas Shrugged told through a videogame.

My favorite discussion in the FGW cycle happened while I was sleeping. vaderno.png

I really think the biggest things holding fighting games back as a genre is the fact that the biggest games are developed and published by the likes of Capcom and ArcSys. They're not agile enough nor attuned enough to the current market to really blow things up.

Without question the biggest problem.

Like Retro, I also think devs shouldn't be wasting time on tutorials. The community is in a better position to better teach players how to play the game. It's not a good use of resources, and it's honestly not their responsibility.

I think a FTP fighter could be bigger than what we've got now, but I don't think it's necessary. Really, it'd just be a question of how you want to part with your money. As far as more people being interested in the game, I think perception of what the genre is, is a bigger roadblock.

Fuck Japanese arcade exclusivity.

I'm interested in seeing what type of fighter FGW would end up making if we were in charge of one.

What fighters has everyone been playing recently, and what are you likely to be playing going forward? A month back and a month forward. I've been on BB when I haven't been playing the Zelda musou, with a little DOA mixed in. Even though Dengeki and Smash are within a month, Nano is next month so I'll probably only be annoying Disco with Plat sporadically.

Thores

What fighters has everyone been playing recently, and what are you likely to be playing going forward? A month back and a month forward.

I picked up Arcana Heart 3 Love Max last week, which was my first experience with the series. Super fun and crazy stuff, but I haven't touched it since I got P4 Ultimax a week later. I've been playing Smash 3DS too, but at this point I'm kinda waiting to get to play it with a real controller.

The next month will hopefully include more Ultimax (I'm really liking the progress I'm making with Junpei) and of course Smash Wii U. Not an absurd amount of either though since I too am planning on participating in Nanowrimo this year! Should be fun.

Mr. X

Launch your game, go to theater, select streams and BAM! you find a list of people streaming whatever fighter you just booted up.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What fighters has everyone been playing recently, and what are you likely to be playing going forward? A month back and a month forward. I've been on BB when I haven't been playing the Zelda musou, with a little DOA mixed in. Even though Dengeki and Smash are within a month, Nano is next month so I'll probably only be annoying Disco with Plat sporadically.

I was playing Uniel until a little while ago. Now school and work are draining all my time and energy.

Trying to get ahead on both before Xrd drops. I'm crazy so I have both a JP and US copy preordered

AAK

Been playing a lot of SCV this past moth. Gonna keep playing the 4 major 3D games for the next month.

EDIT: May play some ultra when the PC version is fixed.

What fighters has everyone been playing recently, and what are you likely to be playing going forward? A month back and a month forward.

Past two weeks i have been hard on Ultimax. Before that it was BBCP and Under Night, but i lost my training partner in those so i don't see myself playing them as much as Ultimax. (Guy used to be much better than me, but now that i've been training my ass off to get gud a bit at least at anime fighters he's been dodging me because he wants to "have more fun" and "play more relaxed". Sigh. )

I always play a little USF4 on the side because that's where a lot of the community and also some of my mates are.

In the future i see myself maaaybe picking up DBFC if my friends do too, and going all in with Xrd once that hits.

Anne

Right now I mostly just play UNiEL and P4U2 as far as tournies go. Been doing well in both locally(won 2 monthlies back to back in both) and am polanning to travel for them starting with NEC. I finally managed to drop SF4 after not digging it so much for awhile. I'll probably pick up Xrd and BBCP here soon, and just focus on the big 3 ASW games and UNiEL if it survives. I play a bunch of old and poverty games on the side like Melty and Project Justice. I was gonna learn some old KoFs like 98 and 2002 using Steam as training mode and mashing it at the arcade, but I'm not gonna be all crazy into them. Dead games are dead, I'll play and enjoy them but I gotta go where the comp is.

Top Bottom