• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

oVrEf5t.jpg

196fuarapyylmgif.gif

1char

stn

I admit the whole grudge match from last night is causing tons of hype. But LTG is literally your typical idiotic meathead. Guy rage-quits, sends hate, is a hypocrite, and his solution to everything is to have a fight in the streets. Its sad and pathetic because the guy is supposed to be a grown man.

Kimosabae

Banned
Kotaku said:
Still, no matter how much deeper, more impactful, and better the gameplay became — and no matter how many more Tekken sequels I bought — I never felt the freedom that I did when I was an unrepentant button masher. There was a childish joy to button mashing — a sense of discovery and mystery when everything was so unquantified. And the couple of times that I tried to button mash again, it wasn't the same. I knew too much, and strategy kept creeping into my head. Like a child art prodigy, who attends art school and loses his gift, I was too self-aware — I had lost the innocence and purity of the thing

There it is. Right there.

Fighting games are easy. It's competing that is hard.

Dahbomb

button mashing made me a spectator to my own matches, cheering for myself. It was an out-of-body experience — to 'play' a game without truly playing it.
This is some true zen level philosophies here.

Play a game without truly playing it.

This phrase also explains why QTEs and cinematic supers have become so prevalent... it's because they appeal to our inner youth and button masher.

kirblar

Haven't read the article yet (will have to at lunch) but the excerpt definitely an argument in favor of "Eddy was a big reason for T3's success".

Dahbomb

Haven't read the article yet (will have to at lunch) but the excerpt definitely an argument in favor of "Eddy was a big reason for T3's success".
Tekken 3 had the great combination of excellent graphics, great cast, great game play/depth, great soundtrack to bring everyone in. Plus it was the Tekken game that more successfully moved into the 3D plane. Eddy was not a big reason it was successful but it contributed (the fighting style was unique, it was fun to watch).

Also I recently revisited Tekken 3 and I remembered why it has a sense of approachability... random hits do a shit ton of damage and you can literally die from getting hit by a few hard hitting moves. King's neutral 4 on CH can kill you in just 4 hits. This pretty much meant that the margin of error was much lower even against button mashers as they would press a button leading to big damage loss. It almost made you not really want to learn juggles because you could do fine from just regular hits (although juggles were still very powerful). That balance has shifted where a good chunk of your damage comes from combos and it takes much longer to kill someone by just regular hits.

kirblar

Tekken 3 had the great combination of excellent graphics, great cast, great game play/depth, great soundtrack to bring everyone in. Plus it was the Tekken game that more successfully moved into the 3D plane. Eddy was not a big reason it was successful but it contributed (the fighting style was unique, it was fun to watch).

Also I recently revisited Tekken 3 and I remembered why it has a sense of approachability... random hits do a shit ton of damage and you can literally die from getting hit by a few hard hitting moves. King's neutral 4 on CH can kill you in just 4 hits. This pretty much meant that the margin of error was much lower even against button mashers as they would press a button leading to big damage loss. It almost made you not really want to learn juggles because you could do fine from just regular hits (although juggles were still very powerful). That balance has shifted where a good chunk of your damage comes from combos and it takes much longer to kill someone by just regular hits.
KI recently buffed the amount of damage first/second hits in combos do. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a significant part of why the game "feels" better when watching it in S2.

mbpm1

Who did you play before Geif? Surely you'd revert to that when facing Sagat.

I could definitely go to Ken, who I'm way better with right now, but idk. I feel like I have to play these matches out, even if I hate them.

Then again, the whole reason I started playing Gief was to have a secondary to make painful matches bearable.

I actually thought that article was well thoughtout and well written. There is a no-lose situation that a lot of newcomers get from doing this. Hulk's standing H still haunts me, it has armor and is a throw button.

gutabo

so let's discuss the actual match and the mechanics.

viscant had some major issues punishing whiffs. he would go for a grab or a sweep with bison.

LTG had movement down but he seemed to be playing the mid range game to the max and not capitalizing on hits.

Once Viscant was on top of him he just literally kept mashing shit not knowing what to do. Like literally that one match Viscant could have just doing scissor kicks over and over and not stop and he probably would have won.

I just wanted to see Viscant properly punish Rolento's roll on block. LTG was abusing it.

Viscant was actually learning while LTG choked under pressure and did the same shit over and over

Yup.

Even tho nemo says that bison-rolento it's a 5-5 most rolento users think it's a 4-6 battle against bison. Rose seems to go mostly even against bison and also seems like she would lose the blanka match or go almost even at best against jimmy. Poison vs bison, who knows, it depends on who you ask but almost everyone agrees: she loses to blanka badly. So LTG tried to counterpick, viscant adapted, LTG would try to counterpick again... only time where Viscant had to switch was against Poison because of matchup unfamiliarity.

Seemed like, altho LTG had way more ultra gaming hours he didn't really know what to do. He would do the same mistakes again and again. He would not block. Seemed like he had better reactions but didn't really used them because of his no strategy approach and also it seemed that all the pressure was on his shoulders. He was trying to have active hitboxes out there more than actually playing footsies. Viscant, on the other hand, was way calmer, seemed like he had some homework done(he TRIED to properly punish rolento's roll) and altho his reactions were not the best his experience gave him a much needed leverage. He was adapting way more than LTG, trying stuff to see what worked and when he had momentum, he earned some 5 golden letters.

In the end, like Viscant said, it was not about how godd he was but how much LTG sucked.

Cant you just dash and grab after the rolento roll?

are the blanka jabs or standing bison mk that viscant was doing the only way to punish that?

Like the comentators where saying, you have to block it standing to end up closer to him and punish him better. Rolento's roll is at least -8 on block. Bison's dash(17 frames) + throw(3 frames) are too slow to punish it. Also Viscant was going forward so most of the times he had no charge for a proper punish. Bison can do crouching strong/forward into scissor kicks but the timing is strict. Blanka's jab is a 3 framer so it gave him A LOT of time to punish(blanka can also punish it with ultra 1) but he can also do more damage if he has charge(or use other fast normals too). Sometimes is not about doing damage but eliminating options in the opponents mind.

casperOne

I could definitely go to Ken, who I'm way better with right now, but idk. I feel like I have to play these matches out, even if I hate them.

Then again, the whole reason I started playing Gief was to have a secondary to make painful matches bearable.

Sounds like you might be psyching yourself out at the character select screen. I agree that you should play the matches out at some point, but I'd prioritize filling in the holes for Ken's bad matchups first with Geif before filling in Geif's holes.

Dahbomb

This comment is mad funny considering the post you made regarding DMC in that other thread this morning.

I see you.
Well I achieved zen after playing the games.

After playing the games so much.... I was able to play them without actually play them.

Although what he is referring to is simply playing without knowing. And I don't disagree with what he is saying... it's basically saying "I was playing the game wrong" but saying that phrase is a big ass taboo on GAF.

CPS2

When I played Mace: The Dark Age in high school I had a Japanese girlfriend who button mashed with the controller upside down and she usually beat me. But she was a freak at super mario bros so maybe she was just that good at Mace as well, who knows.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I thought it was staged since that's how Low tier is everyday online but after catching a little bit of OBS the day before it seems like it isn't after all. LT was saying a lot of things and he also said he was never going to hurt Viscant but of course is going to try and intimidate him.
I think overall LT was just being himself as usual but Viscant was super serious about the whole thing. Either way LT lost two grudge matches, he shouldn't be in another one ever. It's a shame the money he put up wasn't even his.

Speaking of Ky now that I've seen more of his optimal play he looks a bit more fun to play now than he did a few months ago. So I'm not as bummed out anymore.

It seems like you can keep the pressure up for a while with the use of YRCs. I really like how it opens up what you can do and follow up on.

CPU is definitely good for just getting familiar with a character and practicing block strings/pressure and combos. Which is something I never did before as I thought the CPU was completely useless for learning. It's not the same as playing against a player but it's still good.

Top Bottom