• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

Didn't a mortal Kombat have a full fledged puzzle fighter ripoff? And maybe a cart racer another time?
I think maybe a chess game too.

puzzle-kombat-2--article_image.jpg

Chess-Kombat-Mortal-Kombat-Deception.jpg

849.jpg

All of those statements are correct.

El Sloth

Banned
Ebola in NYC; sweaty gamers in small confined spaces found to be particularly vulnerable. Fighting games will finally get mainstream coverage!

They only thing people used stage builder for in Brawl was to create stages that let them farm CD's and Trophies
I created plenty of stages in Brawl for my friends and I to play on. It was also sort of fun trying my best not to make completely shitty looking stages. There was also that time we unashamedly collaborated on a dick stage. It was the purest expression of friendship.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
sometimes i wonder how this franchise survived considering all the bullshit they put out for like 10+ years...

i guess the early ones really did make an impact.

Mortal Kombat didn't survive so much as it was salvaged. Midway went under making all those MK games. lol

Warner Brothers bought the IP when they sold off all their assets and remade it into what it currently is.

Mortal Kombat didn't survive so much as it was salvaged. Midway went under making all those MK games. lol

Warner Brothers bought the IP when they sold off all their assets and remade it into what it currently is.

Midway went under by making nothing successful BUT those MK games, which were million sellers.

Of course, they also started demanding a game be out more frequently to stay afloat, which I'm sure had some affect on the quality, compared to the longer dev cycle for 9.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Midway went under by making nothing successful BUT those MK games, which were million sellers.

Of course, they also started demanding a game be out more frequently to stay afloat, which I'm sure had some affect on the quality, compared to the longer dev cycle for 9.

I thought the last few ones both under delivered and under performed which led to the studio's closure

I thought the last few ones both under delivered and under performed which led to the studio's closure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe
Midway Games announced that as of January 26, 2009, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe had shipped 1.8 million copies since its release in mid November 2008, not including the sales of the Kollector's Edition.[52] The chief operating officer of GameStop stated that the Kollector's Edition of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe made up 55% of the game's total sales at GameStop locations in its first week.[53] In their 10-K filing, Midway Games revealed the title had sold over 1.9 million units, making it one of the company's most successful titles since 2002.[54] According to Wired.com, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe also "holds the distinction of being the most pre-ordered MK game of all time."[55] In a ranking by Rentrak, the Xbox 360 version of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was the sixth most rented game of 2009.[56]

So the last one before Midway went under, that competitive types hated due to being a terrible game with shit like the Superman infinite, and casuals hated due to no blood, sold almost 2mil.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So the last one before Midway went under, that competitive types hated due to being a terrible game with shit like the Superman infinite, and casuals hated due to no blood, sold almost 2mil.

Holy shit that's crazy lol

I just remember how poverty the PS2 3D games were and the reception of MK v DC and figured the games were on a decline for a while

Sayad

I just remember how poverty the PS2 3D games were and the reception of MK v DC and figured the games were on a decline for a while
Some of the PS2 MKs, while being crappy fighting games, were actually good games with a lot of contents and reviewed pretty well.

From what I remember, NRS was always on time and on budget and selling units. The rest of Midway was doing crappy. Good thing WB games swooped in.

I wish the legacy of the Rush series could had been saved as well.

Sayad

From what I remember, NRS was always on time and on budget and selling units. The rest of Midway was doing crappy. Good thing WB games swooped in.

I wish the legacy of the Rush series could had been saved as well.
And this was all thanks to their collaboration on the shitty DCvsMK, good things really could come out of bad games. :D

petghost

Banned
WHat I was really wondering was how the mk name stayed untarnished after years of pretty bad games and shifty spinoffs...it was like the sonic of fighting games which I guess is a good example because people still buy those games hoping the next one will be good.

Also those charms are dope imma get venom/baiken.

WHat I was really wondering was how the mk name stayed untarnished after years of pretty bad games and shifty spinoffs...it was like the sonic of fighting games which I guess is a good example because people still buy those games hoping the next one will be good.

Also those charms are dope imma get venom/baiken.

MK was never really made to be competitive like a Tekken or a Street Fighter. It wasn't until 9 that they actually tried.

Beesuit

lol, before people start blowing up. It's not really related to VF 20th anniversary.
Just an amusing and pretty nostalgic anime show about Sega Consoles turned into girls, they just happened to have a pretty funny VF episode that's all.

Top Bottom