• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 20-26 | RIP PushaTee88

mbpm1

Yeah actually those reasons were dumb, but not reason for banning. Things like yelling in people's ears in the tournament and lying for no reason are pretty bad though.

Dahbomb

Some of those reasons for banning that Smash player are super lame. He tells players they're bad, makes excuses when he loses and is critical of teammates? Who cares? I don't know the situation but those particular reasons aren't compelling and shouldn't be evidence a player needs to be banned.
I was like that too until I read that he makes fun of people with disabilities/medical conditions and does stuff like yelling in a deaf person's ear just to belittle them.

Dude is a scumbag, pure and simple.

He tells players they're bad

Leffen treats new players poorly, demoralizing them. He tells new players straight to their face that they are terrible, he plays silly characters (low tiers) vs them while screaming how horrible he is with that character to make an idiot out of them, etc. Many people have said that they would've quit after their experience with Leffen if it wasn't for the other people saving their experience, and intentionally motivating them to stay and keep playing.

More than just telling them they're bad. Telling them they're bad is just being truthful, if a bit mean.

hold on hold on let's not jump the gun here, let's iron out the details before we take drastic measures:

what character does this person play?

Leffen? Fox.

Silky

Banned
It's competition, you should be allowed to be mean. They can beat him if they want to shut him up.

But these are newcomers supposedly who has no idea of how the game works, right? What is accomplished by pushing away these newcomers with the general fuckery Leffen is accused of?

I mean if im starting comp Melee, and this guy has no intentions of showing me the ropes--who is considered by his peers a talented player-- but instead keeps clowning me because he thinks it's fun? Nah, fuck that scene then

I like how the smash scene will ban a player for being a bully, liar, detriment to the scene etc. but the FGC at large is still cool with certain other things.

Shitty people and favoritism plays a part in community driven competitive scenes, I guess? I mean not ALL the TOs can just pool together a group of every pro player to decide if their negativity is warranted at their events.

it's different compared to moderating a forum

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm all for banning someone that has a cancerous attitude. This is a grass roots community, first and foremost, and any events held are done for said community. If someone adopts sociopathic behavior that effects community members in some ill way; by all means, boot their ass. Especially if there's a large consensus.

Smash community is way more tightly knit, and all around friendlier to community members than the rest of the FGC. Spreading lies/exaggerations about community members and being hostile to newcomers is a great reason to ban someone to me. I found the entirety of that list to be repulsive, honestly. That ban is model behavior. In fact, when it comes to community aspects AT LARGE the Smash community exhibits model behavior.

This is all assuming the characterizations of Leffen are truthful, of course.

Since y'all are still talking about it This is Leffen's apology on the matter

*Well...thereitis.gif*

But these are newcomers supposedly who has no idea of how the game works, right? What is accomplished by pushing away these newcomers with the general fuckery Leffen is accused of?

I mean if im starting comp Melee, and this guy has no intentions of showing me the ropes--who is considered by his peers a talented player-- but instead keeps clowning me because he thinks it's fun? Nah, fuck that scene then

Nothing is accomplished, he's just being a dick. But I don't think you should ban a player for being a villain. It starts just as much drama and problems as the guy being a villain.

Silky

Banned
Since y'all are still talking about it This is Leffen's apology on the matter

mostly due to the fact that I've almost quit smash entirely, shifted my focus to Marvel vs Capcom 3

he must've been a fine fit as a marvel player
QbadP.png

Infinite

I'm all for banning someone that has a cancerous attitude. This is a grass roots community, first and foremost, and any events held are donefor said community. If someone adopts sociopathic behavior that effects community members in some ill way; by all means, boot their ass. Especially if there's a large consensus.

Smash community is way more tightly knit, and all around friendlier to community members the rest of the FGC. Spreading lies/exaggerations about community members and being hostile to newcomers is a great reason to ban someone to me. I found the entirety of that list to be repulsive, honestly.

This is all assuming the characterizations of Leffen are truthful, of course.

Well said. I agree.

LOL Leffen playing MvC3 now...

Imagine Leffen and FChamp playing in a set then Leffen starts shit talking and FChamp starts shit talking back.

Only thing is that Leffen isn't going to be as good as FChamp.

That's old as hell. He's back and top8ed Big House 4 recently. (btw, please watch that tournament. It's insane)

Silky

Banned
Nothing is accomplished, he's just being a dick. But I don't think you should ban a player for being a villain. It starts just as much drama and problems as the guy being a villain.

i dunno if I was a TO i wouldn't want any dicks in my event dicking it up to ruin the experience of other people. *shrug*

I don't think there should be people justifying another guy/girl's excuse to be an asshole. What's so wrong with not being an asshole?

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, here they are now, a year later , and the Smash community is in shambles because they set the precedent for banning bad apples from their events.

Stop talking out of your ass.

I can be a bad guy. I have done some of the things on that list. I wouldn't go so far to yell in someone's ear or play a troll character to shame a new comer but I definitely have said some dumb shit I had to take back later. Sometimes I get blown up and deserve it, but sometimes I get blown up for stuff I didn't even do. Should I be banned? Maybe you think so, but when you start banning players just for being villains you open up a huge can of worms.

mbpm1

Didn't 16 bit and PigofTheHut get banned from BigE tourneys? He might be reflecting on all the drama that started from that

Lemstar

LOL Leffen playing MvC3 now...

Imagine Leffen and FChamp playing in a set then Leffen starts shit talking and FChamp starts shit talking back.

Only thing is that Leffen isn't going to be as good as FChamp.
jesus christ you people look at the goddamn date

come on it's like someone just bumped a dead thread and you're just looking at the OP

Silky

Banned
I can be a bad guy. I have done some of the things on that list. I wouldn't go so far to yell in someone's ear or play a troll character to shame a new comer but I definitely have said some dumb shit I had to take back later. Sometimes I get blown up and deserve it, but sometimes I get blown up for stuff I didn't even do. Should I be banned? Maybe you think so, but when you start banning players just for being villains you open up a huge can of worms.

The difference between you and Leffen (supposedly) is that you at least know your restraints and own up to them, unlike someone who goes 'haters gonna hate' in response to being exiled.

And like Kimo said, this was a year ago. I don't know much about Smash community but they seem pretty active as usual

I mean, the post itself says that most of the things wouldn't warrant banning in isolation, but they contribute negatively towards his overall characterization. They're not banning him -just- for shittalking to newbies. The post also says the pattern of behavior was going on for a real long time, so are you just looking for excuses to give him the benefit of the doubt?

I mean, the post itself says that most of the things wouldn't warrant banning in isolation, but they contribute negatively towards his overall characterization. They're not banning him -just- for shittalking to newbies. The post also says the pattern of behavior was going on for a real long time, so are you just looking for excuses to give him the benefit of the doubt?

No, I don't know anything about the guy. Maybe he deserves it. I'm just saying, there are members of the MK community that would write something similar about me. Half of it would be true, half wouldn't. If the EC TO were the governing body of the MKC then Pig and I would be done. Yet the vast majority of the community would say they're wrong. In this case I guess there wasn't much controversy and most everyone agreed he should go, so I'm not saying it applies here. But still, don't believe everything you read.

Kimosabae

Banned
Let me tell you as someone that was entrenched in that community for damn near a decade: you have to be the absolute worst of the worst to adopt the hatred of that community.

You and some friends interested in participating in an event but live across the world? We're talking about a community that at one point, would crow fund your trip, pick you up from the airport, house you, FEED you and get you back home, with no cost to you. Oh, and you and you're friends could have just been random internet scrubs that no one ever heard of. You didn't have to be Ken, Isai to get that kind of treatment. You just had to be wanting to participate in an event. Stories like that would happen all the time way before crowdsourcing was cool everywhere else. People in that community do this with complete strangers on the regular.

I'll go with the community on this one. Especially after reading that twit.

but sometimes I get blown up for stuff I didn't even do. Should I be banned? Maybe you think so, but when you start banning players just for being villains you open up a huge can of worms.

Uhh....no. Leffen is being banned for being a sociopath, not some WWE-tier villain, who's true-to-life motivations are ambiguous.

If you got accused for executing actions you weren't a part in and the result was a ban, you have my sympathies, but the circumstances aren't analogous.

Sayad

What can also hurt the scene is having constant drama over who should be banned, who decides who gets banned, ect.
Depends really, if the guy is continuously causing unnecessary drama, then the few days/weeks of drama from banning him is the lesser evil.

Depends really, if the guy is continuously causing unnecessary drama, then the few days/weeks of drama from banning him is the lesser evil.

It's not just him. He might deserve it. It might be the right call for him. But once you start banning players you open the door to less worthy bans.

Prototype

If someone is outright humiliating & demoralizing other players, especially new players to the scene, that's not a good thing. Maybe more bans like this will help spread the message that just because you're playing a video game it doesn't mean you get a free pass on being a decent human being.

Edit. I get that competition and trash talk come hand in hand, but it's not like it's that hard to see when someone is crossing the line.

Top Bottom