• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

I managed to try out the Smash 3DS demo today at one of the Play Nintendo tours. I only got one CPU match with the game (because a lot of people started getting in line once I started playing-- go figure) and my only real complaint was that I felt that moving with the circle pad felt a little weird (at least the first time) but as long as you can switch movement to the d-pad, I think it'll be fine.

Rhapsody

Banned
You got lucky or didn't use them much idk? But over time the analog part becomes loose and when you plug them in they are not neutral

I'm glad I'm a Marth main. My GC controller back from 6th grade is still flawless, even after so many tourneys lol
I managed to try out the Smash 3DS demo today at one of the Play Nintendo tours. I only got one CPU match with the game (because a lot of people started getting in line once I started playing-- go figure) and my only real complaint was that I felt that moving with the circle pad felt a little weird (at least the first time) but as long as you can switch movement to the d-pad, I think it'll be fine.

D-pad smash sounds too weird. And yeah, the 3DS analog really sucks for it.

Marz

Gone through about 12-15 GC controllers since 2005-ish.

So yea they wear out pretty quick if you use them a lot lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The game better have customizable controls or I'm completely fucked because one and maybe both of my bumpers are shot for my 3DS.

That said, Smash 3DS is gonna take over my life with all that content. Like Kadey said above, I also tend to play games with the developers intent in mind, and Smash was always more of a party game for me. I have more fun with items on and more randomness, because that's when you also get the funniest moments in the game. Combined with that free month of XBL which means I can still cop Destiny and put it through it's paces, the next month or so of gaming is looking great.
And hopefully by then I'll have a job and can afford a PS4.

Zissou

You got lucky or didn't use them much idk? But over time the analog part becomes loose and when you plug them in they are not neutral

Maybe it's just luck then. Only system where I remember analog sticks getting seriously fucked up like clockwork was the N64.

Marz

The game better have customizable controls or I'm completely fucked because one and maybe both of my bumpers are shot for my 3DS.

That said, Smash 3DS is gonna take over my life with all that content. Like Kadey said above, I also tend to play games with the developers intent in mind, and Smash was always more of a party game for me. I have more fun with items on and more randomness, because that's when you also get the funniest moments in the game. Combined with that free month of XBL which means I can still cop Destiny and put it through it's paces, the next month or so of gaming is looking great.
And hopefully by then I'll have a job and can afford a PS4.

Well Brawl has customizable controls so I assume the next iteration would.

Without fail the C-Sticks on like all my GCN controllers get messed up neutrals after playing Timesplitters 2. Might be even worse for Smash than the analog stick because weird things happen in that game when the C-stick isn't at neutral.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well Brawl has customizable controls so I assume the next iteration would.
Generally, I think Sakurai is good at considering control options, but I also have a feeling they're just trying to kick Smash 3DS out the door as fast as they can now, and especially with something like a 3DS version of a traditionally console game we might see that as an oversight.

We'll know for sure in a week.

Kumubou

Oh man, that banner is too real. I also like the additions of the release schedule and the additional resources, too. Looking at those games coming out, you realize that as much as we complain (and it's GAF, it's expected), things could be way worse.

Nintendo products are generally built pretty damn well... except for their godforsaken analog sticks. Between the N64 and the Gamecube controllers, I've gone through enough sticks to last a lifetime. It was even worse in other games. I played a ton of Super Monkey Ball when it came out and with a worn Gamecube pad there were a few levels that were impossible to beat, because you couldn't get going fast enough (because the game capped movement at the absolute end range of the stick, and the worn sticks couldn't register that).

Generally, I think Sakurai is good at considering control options, but I also have a feeling they're just trying to kick Smash 3DS out the door as fast as they can now, and especially with something like a 3DS version of a traditionally console game we might see that as an oversight.

We'll know for sure in a week.

I think the control scheme is decent and pretty intuitive, I just hate the movement options :\

Rhapsody

Banned
Maybe I'm lucky with my controllers. I don't play as much Smash as Marz, but I still played quite a bit.

Guess I play conservatively on buttons presses or something with my characters. lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Some people beat the ever loving fuck out of their controllers. It's understandable if you play Fox and you have to hit a million buttons at once but it's weird when casuals do it cause it's like did half the buttons you just press even have a purpose? I think I play pretty reserved.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some people beat the ever loving fuck out of their controllers. It's understandable if you play Fox and you have to hit a million buttons at once but it's weird when casuals do it cause it's like did half the buttons you just press even have a purpose? I think I play pretty reserved.
Or you're a filthy casual.

Pappasman

Yup.

I have a controller specifically to use for Fox and Falco because i don't want to destroy my other controllers.

vulva

Can still get a feel of how it plays. If I enjoy it, it's going to be better on the Wii U

I don't know how different the final product will be, but the 3ds version honestly felt so far removed from the Wii U one I couldn't even compare them. 3ds felt like a shitty newgrounds flash version of smash bros in all seriousness.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I play Pikachu and Fox

FSLink

Banned
My controllers are still in good condition because I use Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, and Marth.

Also because they're brand new since I managed to order 4 of the white Wii GC controllers before everyone started buying them up for Smash Wii U.

Anth0ny

I completely destroyed my first tournament GC controller. Used it from 2007 to 2011. It went from mint condition to a completely busted L button, loose c stick and grip on the analog stick literally melted away.

My second tourney GC controller is on its last legs. Thank Sakurai they're making new ones for Smash 4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I completely destroyed my first tournament GC controller. Used it from 2007 to 2011. It went from mint condition to a completely busted L button, loose c stick and grip on the analog stick literally melted away.

My second tourney GC controller is on its last legs. Thank Sakurai they're making new ones for Smash 4.

Hopefully they would make high quality controllers like they always do. I can see myself picking few more controllers in case my old controllers died over the times.

FSLink

Banned
I just hope the GC controller adapter gets more use outside of Smash, but knowing Nintendo and peripherals probably not.

It's likely a long shot to hope they'd patch it in for the virtual Wii on the Wii U, but it'd be nice if they could just have it supported in future games from now on. Pokken with a Madcatz stick that plugs into GC port would be fantastic instead of this awkward tethered Wiimote nonsense.

i'm never gonna get featured ;-;

Just be patient. We all have our moment in the spotlight.

I'm hyped for Smash 4 on 3DS, aka Return of the King(Koopa). DOA5 on XB1 and PS4 is also exciting news, it the netcode becomes as good as Killer Instinct's, then DOA will be a game I will invest a lot more time in.

Also, P4A2. Not sure where I stand. Stopped playing the first one not too long after getting into it. Adachi makes me really interested in giving the game a second chance. I'll keep it on my radar.

Yeah the thought of playing Smash on 3DS is already giving me thumb cramps. I'll pass until the system gets a real analog with the release of the n3DS-U2

Top Bottom