• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 22-28 | 2 Fast 2 Fuerte: Tokido Drift

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of September 22nd to the 28th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

DreamHack Stockholm [ Saturday ] [ 11AM Stockholm | 5AM EDT | 2AM PDT ]
NorCal StrongStyle 5 [ Saturday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]
The Art of Fighting [ Thread ] [ Saturday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]
  • BUY ART. PLAY GAMES. GET HYPE. SAVE LIVES. New Mexico's biggest fighting game event returns to Metropolis Comic Art Gallery in Albuquerque for a 3-day charity fundraiser. Featuring over 50 international artists - including UDON's Jeffrey "Chamba" Cruz, SKULLGIRLS' Alex Ahad, BASTION's Jen Zee, and many more - and a full tournament lineup, with giveaways from sponsors such as CAPCOM, special exhibitions, and guests: EVO 2014 Champion EG Justin Wong, EG Ricky Ortiz, and BT Angelic.
  • Proceeds benefit children and families affected by Critical Congenital Heart Defects (CCHD) through March of Dimes and Save Babies Through Screening Foundation.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Vector Strike II [ Saturday ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibaSRbgmaYMJsZ.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at RockTurtle.. at last!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
I’m currently playing street fighter 4: Ultra edition. I’m attempting to play KoF:13 but the metrosexual characters are making it hard to keep attention to. I’m dwelling on skullgirls cause of the thickness of the characters.

My all-time favorite is hard to pin down because i’ve always had different but equal amounts of enjoyment with specific titles. If i had to one for my top favorite, it would be a fourway battle between street fighter 2: Hyper edition, Street Fighter: Alpha 3, street fighter 3: Third Strike, and of course shaq-fu.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I think focus attacks are a great addition and a natural progression to the parry system of third strike. I think capcom knocked it out of the park with a way to appeal to the zealous fans of both the classic styles of alpha and third strike. I still think Parries are da bess, but focus are a close 2nd! that and tac infinites! so sexy to watch!

I also like skullgirls’ flow button mechanics of comboes based on low-high button presses. allows for beginners like me to do flashy comboes with little effort and big pay!

My least favorite are tag mechanics ala tekken tag system. I understand the appeal of it for some people, but it’s not my cup of tea. Marvel tag mechanics are da bess! the juggling there is so methodical!
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
What got my into fighting games was originally the gore aspect of mortal kombat 1. There was a news report in dominican republic about how videogames, specifically MK, caused epilepsy and cause kids to want to become murderers. I went to my local ice cream shop which had the only arcade cabinet in the precinct out of morbid curiosity. It was a game dealing with adult themes like killing which attracts kids trying to appear mature., and of course like any MK game, that is its main appeal. I of course grew out of MK when i grew up and played more mature fighting games for mature fighting game players like myself around 14 years of age. I’d like to think the epilepsy reports regarding MK were fake, but stiff movements are still a series staple.

Next to the MK2 cabinet was Street fighter 2, which had more colorful cast and art direction. Not as many people were playing it so i wasted my quarters on that. I experienced my first taste of dominance at fighting games by beating everyone with skillful use of sweep mechanics in the corner. It could have been the fact there was no block button like MK, but i’d like to think that was derivative of my growing skills.

I currently dominate in other genres like Dynasty Warrior Musou games (the natural evolution of side-scrolling beat-em-ups), eve online ship spinning, and single-player MMOs like elder scroll and Fallout games.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
I am always a believer in “variety is the spice of life” method of character choice So while i have a main in one series, i tend to gravitate towards different aspects. Aesthetically, I’ve always been attracted towards spain or spanish based characters. Specifically from SPAIN. ESPAÑA. Stereotypical matadors. Or if not that, regal dudes with are quick footed and use rapiers. i like stereotypes. and big boobies. So the new tekken character is doing so many things for me right now.

So depending on the series, i always gravitate towards characters like Vega(Claw), Miguel Rojo, and Rafael.

Mechanically, I like charge, time attacks, and command grab based characters. Like my current avatar. or guile/honda/blanka.

Actually i lied. Q from 3rd strike is the best. no ifs ands or buts about it. the absolute Bess. if i could, i would pick nothing but Q in all games. cause he incorporates EVERYTHANG that flips my switch. CONCHOLE!
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Relative to my name (which was inspired by a VGCats comic), I am a Rock. I am a Turtle. Defense till the opponent presents an opening. I have been trying to change that aspect by pickin more mobile and attack heavy characters to become more well rounded. but of course that leads me to pressing buttons.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
In the words of the famous PR_Balrog “damn you are random as f*** ” 2014. My randomness is my gift. It is my curse. Some would say i employ a JUST DO IT™ motiff to my playstyle. When it works, it works. But that’s me overcompensating for my complete lack of execution skill.

I gravitate towards charge characters cause i can’t do double hadouken motions easy like others, and DPs are a nightmare for me. Like an old parrot that can’t be taught to speak, my hands are forsaken. or some ish like that.

JWong also said i have one of the best GUYs he’s ever seen. I had a 2-1 winning record against him until….saturday...5-0.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best and worst moment in fighting game career was playing online for the first time. I always assumed i was a force to be reckoned with because i could beat my little brothers and my casual friends on console fighting games. I was the king of the town. It wasn’t until i got sf2 on xbox live and tried out against a non-familiar opponent that could actually block the emaculate strategy of jump roundhouse sweep that i learned i was but a farce! But it also opened up the drive to explore and do some research. Then i found the daigo parry video and i learned about these things called Combuous.
What do you want from future fighting games?
More scantily clad characters of all genders (for equality!), unique fighting styles, more command grab based characters, and the appeal to port these titles to PC.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Evilore for no sinister reason. if not, Satyamdas-chan. and if not him, the best fgw player Jlai. if he already did one, then the next best Blackvegeta. if he already did one, then kakTheInfected. If he already did one, then notworksafe. if he already did one, then cloudius. if he already did one, then Vulvacloud. if he already did one, then threi. if he already did one, then kadey. if she already did one, anyone but BakedYams.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Oh boy, there's actually more events next weekend!

I hope all those Tekken players used some of their vacation days to be able to attend NorCal Strongstyle!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

ok that's really funny.

at SCR2014 peanuts took 5th in SG
at SCR2014 I took 5th in VF
at GUTS3 peanuts took 3rd in SG
at RitT4 I took 3rd in VF

everyone shits on both these games

edit/ okay that's not that funny.

Kumubou

[some garbage about him already being a star at the time, and how it has nothing to do with him not playing Capcom games here]
[insert something about how people only play other games because they can't win in the big league games HERE]

Mr. X

I originally thought I was going crazy when Coach Steve won that since it was Insaynne and I was like "he's a vet, not a new guy".

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Dat thread title.
Someone explain it to me please...

an el fuerte player went crazy on a bunch of players this week, at TGS I think idk, and then there was a gif of tokido eating ice cream while racing. eventually someone photoshopped him in the picture where infli won his car at a capcom tournament, with tokido inside the car.
what am i writing, its past my bed time

Marceles

an el fuerte player went crazy on a bunch of players this week, at TGS I think idk, and then there was a gif of tokido eating ice cream while racing. eventually someone photoshopped him in the picture where infli won his car at a capcom tournament, with tokido inside the car.
what am i writing, its past my bed time

Sadly

Bx3gs33CEAASxC8.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
im about to PM EviLore

if I don't survive or we get put into community, I choose Panda to carry the flame

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Once upon a time there was a member by the name of Degen who loved terrorizing FGW (at least he tried to), he loved attention, he loved challenging everyone and always had the mentality that he was the best. Then one day, someone kicked his ass so bad that he split into two different personalities and was never really heard from again. Until now.

Those personalities came to be known as Rockturtle and Bakedyams. Rock is the I'm the best always challenging everyone, going yolo part of Degen while Yams is the I like picking big bodies, never shutting up, putting his two cents into everything part. One day these two personalities will come together and Degen will be reborn once again.

C91BuWA.gif

Dahbomb

Once upon a time there was a member by the name of Degen who loved terrorizing FGW (at least he tried to), he loved attention, he loved challenging everyone and always had the mentality that he was the best. Then one day, someone kicked his ass so bad that he split into two different personalities and was never really heard from again. Until now.

Those personalities came to be known as Rockturtle and Bakedyams. Rock is the I'm the best always challenging everyone, going yolo part of Degen while Yams is the I like picking big bodies, never shutting up, putting his two cents into everything part. One day these two personalities will come together and Degen will be reborn once again.

C91BuWA.gif

tumblr_m8028qywHg1ryf7dio1_500.gif

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Turtle, we have to fuse together to bring down Kadey! We'll become BakedTurtle or RockYams!
god damn those names sound horrible

I know I'm late as fuck, but all the Japanese gods and U.S players lost to a fucking Fuerte?

Was in the FGC in a bizzaro world this last weekend?

C91BuWA.gif

hahaha. fgc fanfics are the best yo

kirblar

I know I'm late as fuck, but all the Japanese gods and U.S players lost to a fucking Fuerte?

Was in the FGC in a bizzaro world this last weekend?
El Fuerte definitely moved to A tier in Ultra. The tools were there, we just hadn't seen someone put them together into a complete package yet. (iPeru was very much playing the old style Fuerte at WCW.) There's another Fuerte in Japanese arcades (Zeny53?) who's scary as well.

El Fuerte definitely moved to A tier in Ultra. The tools were there, we just hadn't seen someone put them together into a complete package yet. (iPeru was very much playing the old style Fuerte at WCW.) There's another Fuerte in Japanese arcades (Zeny53?) who's scary as well.

A guy I know used to play fuerte before switching to rufus so he know's a lot of fuerte shit and my god is that match super frustrating

Top Bottom