• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 13 CGI vs Final Fantasy 16 Real-Time Graphics (DF Tech Evolution)

Upgrade the graphics, downgrade the RPG genre -SquareEnix

the-office-steve-carell.gif

mortal

Gold Member
Hell yeah. Looks cgi to me for sure. Like... cmon

baWg3Ph.jpeg

lEn6P7l.jpeg

Urd2eF4.jpeg

dcfbgIy.jpeg

QNSnxSm.jpeg

BSdF6dM.jpeg

H8MDBGO.jpeg

oIuqv9p.jpeg

icJ33xE.jpeg

kneqTj9.jpeg
They're not there quite yet, but in some instances, FFXVI's visuals feature a more natural-looking image than some of the older Visual Works CGI.

With every new AAA entry, I think their dev teams are closer to bridging the gap between the current output of Visual Works and real-time visuals.
I think it's plausible that at least one next-gen FF game could look nearly indistinguishable from current Visual Works cinematics from start to finish.
As much as I enjoy Visual Works cinematics, I'd actually prefer having the most cohesive visual experience possible, and what the dev teams accomplished on FFXVI makes me excited about future entries.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Creative Business Unit 1 manages to pull off in FFVII Rebirth. Seeing what they do better than CBU3 and where they fall short, etc,

Go_Ly_Dow

They're not there quite yet, but in some instances, FFXVI's visuals feature a more natural-looking image than some of the older Visual Works CGI.

With every new AAA entry, I think their dev teams are closer to bridging the gap between the current output of Visual Works and real-time visuals.
I think it's plausible that at least one next-gen FF game could look nearly indistinguishable from current Visual Works cinematics from start to finish.
As much as I enjoy Visual Works cinematics, I'd actually prefer having the most cohesive visual experience possible, and what the dev teams accomplished on FFXVI makes me excited about future entries.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Creative Business Unit 1 manages to pull off in FFVII Rebirth. Seeing what they do better than CBU3 and where they fall short, etc,
Rebirth will be using Remakes character models probably touched up a bit. That said Remakes models were already really high quality and as this video shows the hair rendering was more dynamic than XVIs. I think the models will shine well in Rebirth with the improvement in lighting we can see in the trailer.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Feels like we're living in the future but I guess we are. This needs to be shown to all the people that complain about diminishing returns in modern graphics.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's imperfect, but definitely getting close in a lot of ways.

What's funnier to me is to look at the CGI from just a few years earlier than that, and how this blows that away.

Myths

I still think at the time they did XIII’s pre-rendered cutscenes, it was underwhelming compared to FFVII:ACC. I do wonder if all the scenes were rendered long before then. Some of the character faces look too “smooth” and the hair is very much the same (plastic stringy looking).

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I was playing FFXIII on Steam Deck before XVI released and I thought it looked great but now it’s like a huge downgrade especially comparing in big picture mode on a TV.

Go_Ly_Dow

7Remake's CGI felt like they were done fairly last minute, apart from the opening. I'm thinking the switch from CC2 to in house is why there was a discrepency between the visual look of the characters.

Even from the thumbnail it’s clear that the visuals still don’t hold a candle to 13-year-old CGI.

I’ve said it numerous times and I’ll say it again: thank goodness there’s other Creative Business Units at Square Enix. I’ll be looking forward to gorgeous CGI cinematics produced by their internal CGI studio in those games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some of the character model details look, but the overall presentation, physics, materials, scene complexity etc is nowhere near close to being FF13 CGI caliber.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

7Remake's CGI felt like they were done fairly last minute, apart from the opening. I'm thinking the switch from CC2 to in house is why there was a discrepency between the visual look of the characters.
Yea, I know what you mean. It was a bit jarring when I first saw it (not counting the opening) but I understand why they went with CGI for those few scenes.

Some of the character model details look, but the overall presentation, physics, materials, scene complexity etc is nowhere near close to being FF13 CGI caliber.
Exactly why this whole “FFXVI looks like CGI” narrative is utter nonsense. I wanted to see these characters and the Eikons in CGI so badly.

winjer

Gold Member
Yes it looks like CGI, but it doesn't look anything modern or even slightly advanced.
Just because it's rendered in real time, doesn't mean it's that impressive.
UE5 meta humans look much better than this.

Schmendrick

could we get away from that ridiculous "looks like cgi" term? Depending on which release year and budget one has in his mind that can mean anything from stick figures to avatar......

Last edited:
could we get away from that ridiculous "looks like cgi" term? Depending on which release year and budget one has in his mind that can mean anything from stick figures to avatar......
Movie CGI isn't even that good these days. Most Marvel films look like complete ass, worse than a lot of video games I've played in recent years.

The days of comparing "real time" to "CGI" are long past, because Hollywood outsources movie VFX to the cheapest Chinese studios they can find now and real time video game graphics have advanced so much.

FFXVI legit has real time cutscene sequences which are indistinguishable from the fully pre-rendered sequences of FFXIII.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I was originally wondering when I saw this pop up if the real time graphics of 16 even surpassed FFX and after watching I would say definitely. FF16's hair pretty much destroys FFX's and just like how 13 had a plastic effect on the skin sometimes FFX suffers with it nearly all the time. I'll probably look up FF12 next for comparison but I doubt it will do much better.

The only thing though was that cg back then was used so well for emotional moments that have blown away what I have played in 16 even only nearly halfway through the game but that is more of a story/game design rather than a graphics design. That FFX opening and that water dance ritual were just amazing

Last edited:

baWg3Ph.jpeg

lEn6P7l.jpeg

Urd2eF4.jpeg

dcfbgIy.jpeg

QNSnxSm.jpeg

BSdF6dM.jpeg

H8MDBGO.jpeg

oIuqv9p.jpeg

icJ33xE.jpeg

kneqTj9.jpeg
My girl Jote always looks good . Still wonder how tf Jill- main character looks worse than almost every side characters.
I swear they could swap Tarja, Jote, Mid or even the bartender at the hideout and they all looks better than Jill.

Last edited:
My girl Jote always looks good . Still wonder how tf Jill- main character looks worse than almost every side characters.
I swear they could swap Tarja, Jote, Mid or even the bartender at the hideout and they all looks better than Jill.
Jill's color choice is gray hair with gray eyes. Unfortunately she just doesn't look as colorful as the other characters. Her face model is one of the highest poly models, only Clive has the same amount of face detail. But her color scheme makes her look somewhat drab compared to the other ladies.

Jill's color choice is gray hair with gray eyes. Unfortunately she just doesn't look as colorful as the other characters. Her face model is one of the highest poly models, only Clive has the same amount of face detail. But her color scheme makes her look somewhat drab compared to the other ladies.
Nah I know her overall design is not good . Her face model maybe has higher poly than other (doubt that) but how they design her face looks really bland compare to other female character.
Even the
pregnant lady
is more beautiful than Jill.

Last edited:

I think even Uncharted 4 was leagues above this honestly. Of course that wasn't an open world game. But it still looks like top tier CGI in many parts.

Filben

Lack of (good) SSAO and shadows at times, low quality faces in many instances, missing filmic softness of CGI FXIII... this is clearly not FXIII CGI level.

sigmaZ

baWg3Ph.jpeg

lEn6P7l.jpeg

Urd2eF4.jpeg

dcfbgIy.jpeg

QNSnxSm.jpeg

BSdF6dM.jpeg

H8MDBGO.jpeg

oIuqv9p.jpeg

icJ33xE.jpeg

kneqTj9.jpeg
Looks like FF14 random character generator to me.
I kid.

I don't know how the tech exactly works, but there is a kind of rendering that occurs it key scenes in games like this and FF7 remake. The ingame dialogue with NPCs and such is not to this caliber. Horizon FW on the otherhand seems to have this kind of rendering going on in normal dialog scenes however.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Graphics look so damn good nowadays, but AAA gaming takes such an egregious amount of time to develop now, I don't understand why some people demand more from developers in the graphics department. 5+ years and $200 million to develop TLOU2 and Horizon TFW.

I was in my 20s when FFXV came out. Now I'm 35. I mean jesus christ I'm going to be 40+ when we get FFXVII. I think life's too short to care so damn much about how pretty a character's face looks. I'd rather get as many great games for my favorite franchises as possible before dementia sets in and I don't know who the fuck I am in the morning.

Movie CGI isn't even that good these days. Most Marvel films look like complete ass, worse than a lot of video games I've played in recent years.

The days of comparing "real time" to "CGI" are long past, because Hollywood outsources movie VFX to the cheapest Chinese studios they can find now and real time video game graphics have advanced so much.

FFXVI legit has real time cutscene sequences which are indistinguishable from the fully pre-rendered sequences of FFXIII.
FFXIII’s CG cutscenes shit on XVI’s cutscenes any day of the week. Don’t be delusional + disingenuous with your “movie CGI isn’t that good nowadays” while cherry picking examples. Obviously CGI can vary in quality.

From the CG supervisor at Square Enix Tokyo who worked on FFXIII’s cutscenes:

Even he prefers realtime. And I do too.

“The CG supervisor” lmfao I can’t even find this dude’s name in the credits so don’t say “the.”

And who cares what his opinion is? And from what I just glanced over, his most recent work was being involved in Callisto Protocol, which is supposed to be a graphical showcase and is all in-engine, so of course he’s going to downplay how good a game’s CG cutscenes look.

XIII’s CG cutscenes shit on XVI’s in-engine cinematics. I’m happy for you that you prefer real time. I don’t. I like my eye candy and I like those glimpses of how the world and characters would look with an unlimited budget.

Top Bottom