• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Demo Impressions & Info Thread

Thabass

Some rumors spoke of a demo of Final Fantasy VII Remake that would be released at the end of E3 2019.

I sincerely doubt we'll see a playable demo out of no where. They would have mentioned this already or at the very least in their presser.

That said, it would be awesome to see and play a demo, but I'm not holding my breath.

hn2VCGr.jpg

From this thread

Loose translations that would make Final Fantasy VII blush.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Others great impressions of the Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Eurogamer:
What I'm trying to say here is that there is a scope to Final Fantasy 7 Remake that goes above and beyond what Square Enix could have happily got away with. You don't need me to tell you it's beautiful, but I'm pleased to be able to tell you it handles extremely well.

Gamespot:
We played the FF7 remake at E3 2019, and it feels like a dream version of the original game that never existed--and that has us excited.

IGN:
Like many people who are excited for Final Fantasy 7 Remake, the 1997 original is a vital component of my gaming past. As such, it’s hard to truly say how this hands-on demo would go down with someone unfamiliar with Mako Reactors, Materia, and Shinra. I do know, though, that it has adopted the sort of approach that a lot of people are looking for. This is a remake that, at least from this tiny slice, feels on the same level as this year’s Resident Evil 2. It’s very clearly a reinvention; something that takes a classic world and builds upon it with modern ideas, rather than just re-building the same game with modern graphics technology. If that philosophy extends for the whole experience, then the years-long wait for Final Fantasy 7 Remake will have been worth it.

Metro:
Swinging Cloud’s famously gigantic sword is enormously satisfying, slashing enemies with force in fast-paced, close quarters combat. And it’s super simple, too. Though being strategic with battles is the way to master the game, you can unleash a basic attack with an easy button tap. But as Jessie tells players before our demo starts, ‘It’s not the size of your sword. It’s how you use it.’ Button-mashing a big sword will only get you so far. Your ATB gauge, a classic element of the Final Fantasy series, is the key to unleashing the game’s most powerful moves in combat. For the unfamiliar, this charges up over time: when it has fully charged up ATB allows you to use your characters’ magic and individual special powers.

Kotaku:
As a result of this system, it doesn’t feel like a hack-n-slash action game. It’s got a very, very different vibe than, say, Kingdom Hearts III. Just mashing the square button doesn’t seem like an effective strategy in Final Fantasy VII’s new combat system. You don’t do a ton of damage with standard attacks. From what I watched and played, getting through fights requires frequent use of abilities and swapping between your characters—in this case, using Cloud to take out short-range enemies and Barret to gun down sentries from a distance.

D.Final

Banned
I sincerely doubt we'll see a playable demo out of no where. They would have mentioned this already or at the very least in their presser.

That said, it would be awesome to see and play a demo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Loose translations that would make Final Fantasy VII blush.

Even in my opinion it is difficult for it to happen soon.
But reporting the rumors that are circulating can be a form of information that can, in rare cases, prove to be true in the end.

If, instead, I see the realistic aspect of this hypothesis, I see that Nomura has voluntarily decided not to publish a demo of Kingdom Hearts 3, even though he had already toured all the conferences in the world.

So, in my opinion, since a large part of the marketing of Final Fantasy VII Remake will be handled by Sony Playstation, on the front line, I think it will also be their decision (together with Square Enix), be it on request or as a task marketing, deciding whether or not this request, wanted by the public, will be made.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Hurrrr someone did a 3 hit combo. That must mean you can beat the game by picking “attack” over and over like a brain dead chimp. Clearly this game has been dumbed down from the strategic 4D chess game of the original FF7.

D.Final

Banned

The impressions of those who had the chance to play the Demo of Final Fantasy VII Remake at E3 2019, talk about how the entire combat system of the game is considerably more strategic, and therefore structured, than what one might say seeing it.
(judging it only as an action, when in reality it is much more complex and strategic, maintaining its structure as jrpg intact and renewed)

Just read the impressions.

Kotaku:

As a result of this system, it doesn’t feel like a hack-n-slash action game. It’s got a very, very different vibe than, say, Kingdom Hearts III. Just mashing the square button doesn’t seem like an effective strategy in Final Fantasy VII’s new combat system. You don’t do a ton of damage with standard attacks. From what I watched and played, getting through fights requires frequent use of abilities and swapping between your characters—in this case, using Cloud to take out short-range enemies and Barret to gun down sentries from a distance.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the combat, but rather on the integrity of the story and the characters? The combat is never what I've considered in regards to this remake being good nor not. In fact, being an JRPG, a lot of people who play will care less about the combat overall. Like my wife playing Ni No Kuni or Dragon Age, this shit isn't going to matter. Overall it's story, characters, customization and sense of agency that tends to drive these games. Everything else is just work to reach those things. My wife isn't going to give a jack shit about combos or whatnot when playing it.

I'm far more worried about the signs of them fucking up characters and story beats. That's things that'll break my immersion quickly and annoy me. More so if they haven't understood that while they can expand the scope, the understanding that less is more sometimes should be in the back of their mind. There's a reason why don't divulge time to every minor character in a story, to keep a good pace and focus in your narrative. Sometimes it's less info that makes something compelling, rather than trying to fill in all the blanks.

It wasn't the combat that drew me into FFVII when I was 11-12 years old. The 3 discs and the box art made me buy it. The music, the story, its pacing, the characters, the quirkiness, the many quests, the graphics. I still remember calling my Barret "Fat Boy 9", because he looked kinda round and I listened to Fatboy Slim back then and I have no idea why I put a 9 there. My favorite characters in the game was those I kept in my party: Cloud, Barret and Tifa. Every character in the game had a distinct personality and the story had a specific flow, in which it drew me into the game and defined it for me. Will I like this Barret? Will I like this Cloud? Will I like this Tifa? That's the kinda thing I'm worried about, rather than whether I push attack in a menu or combo three attack button smashes.

John Day

HA i knew it this would be only Midgar. Hopefully its well paced and worth the risk.

And yeah, them not knowing how far ahead they have planned is... i don’t know man. Hopefully they don’t really mean it and just don’t want to set in stone something that might change.

stickkidsam

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the combat, but rather on the integrity of the story and the characters? The combat is never what I've considered in regards to this remake being good nor not. In fact, being an JRPG, a lot of people who play will care less about the combat overall. Like my wife playing Ni No Kuni or Dragon Age, this shit isn't going to matter. Overall it's story, characters, customization and sense of agency that tends to drive these games. Everything else is just work to reach those things. My wife isn't going to give a jack shit about combos or whatnot when playing it.

I'm far more worried about the signs of them fucking up characters and story beats. That's things that'll break my immersion quickly and annoy me. More so if they haven't understood that while they can expand the scope, the understanding that less is more sometimes should be in the back of their mind. There's a reason why don't divulge time to every minor character in a story, to keep a good pace and focus in your narrative. Sometimes it's less info that makes something compelling, rather than trying to fill in all the blanks.

It wasn't the combat that drew me into FFVII when I was 11-12 years old. The 3 discs and the box art made me buy it. The music, the story, its pacing, the characters, the quirkiness, the many quests, the graphics. I still remember calling my Barret "Fat Boy 9", because he looked kinda round and I listened to Fatboy Slim back then and I have no idea why I put a 9 there. My favorite characters in the game was those I kept in my party: Cloud, Barret and Tifa. Every character in the game had a distinct personality and the story had a specific flow, in which it drew me into the game and defined it for me. Will I like this Barret? Will I like this Cloud? Will I like this Tifa? That's the kinda thing I'm worried about, rather than whether I push attack in a menu or combo three attack button smashes.
Dude, I'm sure most of us care about the story., but people are also excited to see them nailing the gameplay; it being a JRPG is no reason not to be excited about that. What got me into Final Fantasy VII was absolutely the story it told, but it also had fun gameplay that sustained you along with the story beats and characters. It's all the better to see that they are absolutely nailing the gameplay, because this will help attract people who otherwise might not have been interested in playing it. That's not a jab at turn based combat either lads and lasses ;p

As for the story though, now we get to experience it and its characters in a grander and more epic sense than before. I know you are worried about their ability to expand on the story without messing up the tension and pacing, the ups and downs, possibly ruining vital moments or interactions in the narrative. That's a reasonable concern. It's really hard to expand on something without making it bloated or falling to flanderization. For me though, everything I've been seeing has been an excellent portrayal of the characters and it looks like the story is only getting more interesting. So I'm feeling pretty positive.

• Cloud is stoic but not in a brooding way, and has been able to have fun banter with Barret. I can't wait to see him interact with Tifa and Aerith along with the rest of Avalanche. I loved Cloud in Advent Children because he was a broken hero who was haunted by a deep guilt. It's so awesome to see that they are actually writing him as he was in the game though, instead of inserting his AC character arc into it.

• Barret still has that cool 'tude and hot head, but has that soft side to him as well (as we saw with Marlene). I'm just sad we haven't gotten to see him talk about the planet much yet, but impressions of the demo seem pretty good there too.

• Aerith seems to be being portrayed well too. That first trailer we saw with her was radiating soft happy vibes from her. Hopefully we'll get to see her spunk more later and I'm interested to see if the "Ghosts" she is running from have anything to do with the Lifestream or if that's the old train yard. In the original they talk about there being ghosts afterall.

• Tifa hasn't had a looot of screentime, but so far she does have that almost motherly air about her, and she's obviously able to hold her own in a fight. My only worry is that they'll drop her more romantic/upbeat characteristics in favor of making her overly serious and worried. I'm hopeful though. and her design is still as hot as ever so that's a plus.

• Biggs is just... damn he is smoking. Like, I wanna see that boy posing with Kamina from Gurren Lagann no homo. He also has that "go getter" tude going as well. It'll be fun to see him drunk though or dealing with Barret.

• Wedge is a softy in more ways than one so he's doing alright.

• Jessie is a bit more forward than she was in the original, but we've only seen them when they are in the midst of a mission, where shits going down. That part where she gives Cloud a materia however was really sweet, and that felt right on the money. Gotta say though, as with Biggs, damn did they do great with her look...

• Sephiroth is my biggest worry in terms of portrayal here. I'm hoping we don't actually SEE him for a long time, because his presence needs to be ominous and mysterious. So far he seems to talk to Cloud as a pawn, goading at him and pushing his actions, so hurray there at least. I just hope he is a major background character until the very end if this game is entirely Midgar.

Everything about this game is shaping up to be more than I could've dreamed of. There are legitimate things to be concerned about sure, but so far I've been absolutely floored with their presentation. I'm actually playing through the game again right now just to experience it all once more, and I'm only more excited! If they want to make this into some 3 game epic, they can do it. Every extra moment I get to spend in this world is one I can't wait to play, because there is clearly a massive amount of love being put into this work with a great team behind it. IF they fuck up then I'll be worried, so let's hope they don't get away from themselves expanding on it.

My first memory of FFVII was watching my older bro play throughthe forgotten city and watching Aerith die. Holy shit did that stick with me, and after I eventually saw Advent Children, he lent me his copy so I could play through it. I was blown away by how cool the characters were (Cloud being my favorite) and seeing all the ups and downs of the story. It was such an amazing ride punctuated by an expansive game with fun mechanics, interesting side stories, and absolutely sublime music. So you're damn right I care about seeing this world brought back right. I'm just also hyped to bust up some bad guys with sick swordsmanship and mosey on.

ookami

As much as I love FF7, I don't understand how people find characters caricatural in the remake when they were far more in the base game.
Like it or not, they added a lot of exposition and probably scenes, to expand on the characters personalities and add much more depth.

I think we kind of constructed ourselves complex personalities on top of the characters based on what we could interpret. Now, this mixed point of view conflict with what Square Enix want to expand.
I'll just like FF7R for what it is. A reinterpretation realized with different means of a game I love.

HeresJohnny

Really starting to get concerned about this game. All you had to do was remake one of the best games of my youth with fucking sick graphics. Instead, you've turned it into a shitshow it seems. Well done.

D.Final

Banned
Really starting to get concerned about this game. All you had to do was remake one of the best games of my youth with fucking sick graphics. Instead, you've turned it into a shitshow it seems. Well done.

If you read the impressions that came out of the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo, you would notice that the Final Fantasy VII Remake game is being made in the best possible way.
Staying true to its original story, and at the same time expanding it in an epic way.

Moreover, even the new combat system is faithful to the original but at the same time innovative and new.

So, in this case, there really is no valid reason to complain.

HeresJohnny

If you read the impressions that came out of the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo, you would notice that the Final Fantasy VII Remake game is being made in the best possible way.
Staying true to its original story, and at the same time expanding it in an epic way.

Moreover, even the new combat system is faithful to the original but at the same time innovative and new.

I’ve read them, it sounds like they changed up the combat quite a bit. I had no problem with turn based combat. It’s WHY I played games like FFVII over and over instead of mashy shit like Kingdom Hearts.

And saying there isn’t any reason to be upset that the game is being released piecemeal or is being changed makes you sound disingenuous.

Last edited:

peronmls

I’ve read them, it sounds like they changed up the combat quite a bit. I had no problem with turn based combat. It’s WHY I played games like FFVII over and over instead of mashy shit like Kingdom Hearts.

And saying there isn’t any reason to be upset that the game is being released piecemeal or is being changed makes you sound disingenuous.
You mash you play it wrong. Dont mash. Time your attacks. Strategize. Dodge. Look for openings. Again. If you mash you are playing it wrong. Sounds like a you problem. Gonna call you "Madman Masher".

Last edited:

shark sandwich

Apparently you haven’t looked into it much, since many impressions have specifically said that you can’t just mash attack like in Kingdom Hearts. You have to frequently pause to use abilities and change party members.

Anyway FF VII has probably the most
boring, repetitive, brain dead simple combat system in any JRPG I’ve played. Super stoked to see the worst part of the original get completely scrapped and replaced.

royox

There's NO WAY you are not working for Squareenix writting like a Comunity Manager or Advertiser as you do xD

Last edited:

wzy

Apparently you haven’t looked into it much, since many impressions have specifically said that you can’t just mash attack like in Kingdom Hearts. You have to frequently pause to use abilities and change party members.

Anyway FF VII has probably the most
boring, repetitive, brain dead simple combat system in any JRPG I’ve played. Super stoked to see the worst part of the original get completely scrapped and replaced.

Actually, if you read the impressions, you'll find that you must mash attack, like in Kingdom Hearts, because that's the gateway to every other ability in the game.

shark sandwich

Actually, if you read the impressions, you'll find that you must mash attack, like in Kingdom Hearts, because that's the gateway to every other ability in the game.
Take a deep breath then read post 57. You are in a fanboy rage.

And I don’t even know what exactly you’re advocating. Do you like... not want an action RPG to have an attack button that you press?

wzy

Take a deep breath then read post 57. You are in a fanboy rage.

And I don’t even know what exactly you’re advocating. Do you like... not want an action RPG to have an attack button that you press?

I will go to almost any length to make my case here but under no circumstances will I agree to read a D. Final post

I see no problem devoting an entire game around Midgar. Matter of fact I would encourage it.

name checks out.

I can understand some of the criticism people are throwing out there on the remake, but I honestly can't care less. FFVII was one of my first major JRPG experience and also one of my favorite one. seeing all of that brought back in a modernized style is wonderful, and even if I'm wearing rose tinted glasses on this subject, I'm fine with it. would there be flaws? I'm sure there will be. would I buy this? you can bet I will. at the end of the day, the game means different things for different people. for me it's a nostalgic thing mix with new gameplay excitement. if you're not into the game for whatever reason, it's fine. but I'm there to support it no matter what.

Last edited:
Top Bottom