• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase doesn’t know how many games FF7 Remake will be

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Update from Abriael_GN Abriael_GN in post #46:
hn2VCGr.jpg

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Originally I thought the game would be split into two parts but apparently that’s just the first part, split between two blu-rays.

I’ll be ok with this if they really open up that world and make it more fleshed out, more quests, dungeons, characters, etc. I imagine they will add new content. They usually do with these remakes like with the early FF games.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
My Editor in Chief sat down in the same group interview and just sent me the recording for an article.

More than they don't know how many games they're gonna have, they don't know how far the second will reach in the story, which I guess amounts to the same thing, or almost.

They're currently working on deciding it.

Last edited:
With this first part being just Midgar, my guess is 3 Parts, each with 2 blu-ray's each.

Part 1 - Midgar and ends with escape from Midgar.

Part 2 - Travel to Kalm, world exploration, ends with getting the Highwind Airship.

Part 3 - Searching for Cloud and goes all the way to the end of the game.

Seems like a decent way to split the game up. Each episode will be expanded and have new story elements compared to the original, going by the changes they have already shown.

blackjon24

With this first part being just Midgar, my guess is 3 Parts, each with 2 blu-ray's each.

Part 1 - Midgar and ends with escape from Midgar.

Part 2 - Travel to Kalm, world exploration, ends with getting the Highwind Airship.

Part 3 - Searching for Cloud and goes all the way to the end of the game.

Seems like a decent way to split the game up. Each episode will be expanded and have new story elements compared to the original, going by the changes they have already shown.

Pretty big ff7 fanboy but I'm not buying more than two games for this

Pretty big ff7 fanboy but I'm not buying more than two games for this

Me too but if they make each part into a full length game and do a great job with the gameplay and new story elements (looks fantastic so far) then I'll buy as many as they make lol

Last edited:
I am not concerned about shelling out money for multiple games, I am moreso concerned that SE hasn't figured out how they are spliting up a plot that they have had in hand for 20+ years. How do you not know which major plot points each part is going to end on? That is unfathomable to me.

I think it's gonna end up being 3...it sure as shit ain't gonna be two. There is no way they can cram everything post-Midgar to the end of the game into part 2 if they are doing it on the scale they claim. The question is...is it gonna be 3 or 4 parts.

I think 4 is too much. 3 is a sweet spot, imo.

Breakage

It really looks as if they haven't thought about it properly.
Will future instalments release on both current and next gen systems?

Dazrael

The engine and all the assets have been developed so I wouldn’t be surprised if the development time between later games got shorter. Either that’s shorter or everyone’s patience will be.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The engine and all the assets have been developed so I wouldn’t be surprised if the development time between later games got shorter. Either that’s shorter or everyone’s patience will be.

Kitase said it shouldn't be dramatically different.

Graciaus

That doesn't set off red flags all around? How can a remake not have a clear goal since early in development? Although I'm sure he knows and just doesn't want to answer.

NahaNago

I am not concerned about shelling out money for multiple games, I am moreso concerned that SE hasn't figured out how they are spliting up a plot that they have had in hand for 20+ years. How do you not know which major plot points each part is going to end on? That is unfathomable to me.

I think it's gonna end up being 3...it sure as shit ain't gonna be two. There is no way they can cram everything post-Midgar to the end of the game into part 2 if they are doing it on the scale they claim. The question is...is it gonna be 3 or 4 parts.

I think 4 is too much. 3 is a sweet spot, imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is 4 as well. I'm pretty sure their will be a lot more content plus everything is massively larger than the original so it will take longer just to do things. It is more a matter of how do they plan on fleshing out this story, plus nowadays typical sidecontent.

Joe T.

While I appreciate the honesty, assuming Schrier's accurately representing what was said, Kitase should have been more careful with his words. This deflated much of the hype I had from the conference where I was pleasantly surprised by what I had seen. If he doesn't yet know how many games/episodes are part of the remake 4-5 years into development it only serves to reinforce my belief that they're still struggling to properly manage big projects.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
While I appreciate the honesty, assuming Schrier's accurately representing what was said, Kitase should have been more careful with his words. This deflated much of the hype I had from the conference where I was pleasantly surprised by what I had seen. If he doesn't yet know how many games/episodes are part of the remake 4-5 years into development it only serves to reinforce my belief that they're still struggling to properly manage big projects.

It's semi-accurate, as I mentioned above. Also, do remember that this is through a translator. It's the same translator who always did Tabata's interviews, and he tend to be on the blunt side with the wording.

Japanese always tend to become blunter when translated unless the interpreter is super-good.

What Kitase-san likely meant is that they're not ready to talk about the next games because they're still considering how far each is going in the story. Pretty sure they have a semi-clear idea already, but it's not 100% set in stone.

Last edited:

Aggelos

It's not shocking to me at all.

Nomura once said (in the FFF7AC making-of featurette) that the original game itself was like Pandora's box, sth that shouldn't be touched nor opened again.
Now with the FF7Remake, Pandora's box has been opened from all sides.
Hence anything is possible

The other issue is Square-Enix's development cycles and especially games directed by Tetsuya Nomura.
KH3 was unveiled in E3 2013 and was just released this year.
FF7Remake was unveiled in E3 2015 and disappeared thereafter, only to resurface now. But given the expectations and demand that this game has (upon it),
it's not surprising at all for producer Kitase to come out and say that they themselves don't know how many episodes the game should be.

But we all gotta have faith.... We'll get all the episodes by year 2040 or something.
Two decades is enough time for them to materialize their vision for this FF7Remake.

Pagusas

Elden Member
In the other thread I mused the game would be 4 parts and feared they really didn’t even know yet and it could quickly escalate to 8. I hate that i spoke this into the world and made it real. I am sorry.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I just wouldn't want to finish each "game" and then have to wait 1-2 years for the next "game". What a crappy business model they're creating.
If they’re all substantial full-length games then it’s not a crappy business model at all. In that case I don’t care if there are 2 episodes or 5.

Dunki

If these games are fully fledged games with Midgar alone being 30+ hours which means they are adding a lot of story and content. Then I am fine with it. It will be just like the Star Wars movies.

Just the scale of the first boss fight was just insane. Most video game endbosses of other games were not this intense. Giving the detail hey already put in Midgar and this being a open world game the scale and production costs will be insane

Also people saying that they are milking heir fans have no idea. Anthem and EA is milking their fans. SE puts a HUGE effort into these games and the retelling of this story.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Square Enix just sent me a clarification of Kitase-san's words.

"While the development team finishes the first game of the project, they are also planning the volume of content for the second. Due to the work already done on the first game, we anticipate that the development of the second game will be more efficient. However, for now we would like to focus on the development of the first game."

The gist is pretty much what I mentioned above, but obviously, taken out of context, Jason's tweet sounds much worse.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
A game with the epic size and scope of FF VII, done to modern AAA standards, releasing as a single complete single-player game for $60 is IMPOSSIBLE. It will never happen.

Why do you think so many JRPG series have gone extinct, and most of the remaining ones are low-mid budget? You should really be thankful that this game exists at all.

And yeah just look at that first boss battle. That probably took orders of magnitude more man-hours to make it a reality compared to the same battle in the original.

If part 1 ends up as a 15 hour game crammed with filler and microtransactions then by all means complain. But just because it’s split up into parts is not by itself a knock against the game.

sublimit

Banned
I wonder what will happen if the sales of the first or second part don't match SE's expectations. Will they rush the subsequent parts?Will they lower the production values? This is one aspect of this particular business model that scares me. Especially when it looks like they don't have a solid plan that extends from start to finish yet.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its also worth noting that, just like with XV, development got rebooted from scratch.

The original devs are doing that trashy DBZ game now. Square is doing VIIR inhouse for 2 years now, not the full 5 since its been announced.

Top Bottom