• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help - What to Play Next - FF7 Remake, Dragon’s Dogma 2 or Unicorn Overlord?

Vyse

Gold Member
Okay my GAF friends. Need some guidance. I picked up FF7 Rebirth when it released. Decided to play FF7 Remake first and I’m almost done. Amazing game btw. Plan was to go right into Rebirth.

Thinking I might need a palate cleanser. So my choices are: FF7 Remake, Dragon’s Dogma 2 or Unicorn Overlord.

Thoughts?

ssringo

If you aren't burned out (or turned off) by the time you finish Remake then continue on while everything is fresh. If you want something completely different as a "palate cleanser" then Unicorn Overlord. If you want the best game then Dragon's Dogma 2 but you got a few days wait.

I do not like Rebirth but it's better than Remake. The open world is boring to explore, the minigames aren't fun and I fucking hate Chadley and Mai's constantly calling and talking my ear off about bullshit while exploring. I'm definitely in the minority on this though (not about Chadley and Mai, the game).

Gamerguy84

I was gonna suggest don't play any FF for a few years. It just hit me this trilogy will span ten years. When I bought the OG in 97 all 3 disc's were there.

Now I have no answer.

The Shepard

I'd go a different genre if you want something different else the answer is rebirth, the game is excellent and better than remake and continues directly on from it. I replayed remake before rebirth and not burnt out on it, on chapter 10 atm.

KàIRóS

Based on your post OP, don't play Rebirth, one terribly written ending is enough, play DD2 or UO and let the sour taste of the Remake ending pass before you start Rebirth, seriously.

Go_Ly_Dow

If I was you (and I'm not so do whatever you want), I would....

-complete FF7 Remake
-have a quick whirl with Unicorn Overlord to mix things up
-then FF7 Rebirth which is a wonderful game and looks/plays very well in quality mode
-DD2 on the PS5 Pro/PC or something as it looks a bit shakey/rushed on consoles in whatever mode the game is launching with

Based on your post OP, don't play Rebirth, one terribly written ending is enough, play DD2 or UO and let the sour taste of the Remake ending pass before you start Rebirth, seriously.

Weird take, he said he thinks it's amazing, so you're projecting just a bit.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ff7 is like 60-80 hours of crappy mini games so be sure to have time

Edit: aaahh remake. That’s ok. 30 hours

Last edited:

Elitro

Well, for me it was easy. Im not into FF7 so what i did was to play Unicorn Overlord demo. Since i liked it so much i ended up picking up the game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Unicorn overlord has a literal timed demo where you can experience the opening hours or the game and make a decision then.

Do it, no one really knows how good Dragons Dogma 2 is, we assume it will be great and it probably will be.

Rebirth is just more of remake, if you enjoyed that you will enjoy it.

Out of the two I have currently played, it's a hard thing to narrow down, they are both great in their respective roles.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Are you tired of FFVII? Rebirth is a much better game that dwarfs Remake's size and content. If you want more, absolutely go for it. Otherwise, wait for DD2, which seems to be amazing.
Ff7 is like 60-80 hours of crappy mini games so be sure to have time

Edit: aaahh remake. That’s ok. 30 hours
Nope, he means Rebirth. He says in the post he is almost done finishing Remake.

KàIRóS

Weird take, he said he thinks it's amazing, so you're projecting just a bit.

Well, the post says "I'm almost done" and the horrible writing starts in like the last 2 hours of Remake and somehow Rebirth's ending is even worse, so I'm being very serious I don't think anyone would be able to tolerate those 2 endings back to back, they literally ruin the journey in each game and before you say "just you" I could point you to videos, articles and even threads here at GAF that share the sentiment.

Doom85

Well, the post says "I'm almost done" and the horrible writing starts in like the last 2 hours of Remake and somehow Rebirth's ending is even worse, so I'm being very serious I don't think anyone would be able to tolerate those 2 endings back to back, they literally ruin the journey in each game and before you say "just you" I could point you to videos, articles and even threads here at GAF that share the sentiment.

You’re still assuming he’ll agree with that though. There have been plenty of people also not bothered by Remake’s ending, including people who have played the OG.

Hudo

Considering the stuttering state remake launched in and how this is open world in unreal engine, I'm not sure it's really worth waiting for the PC version.
True. It's just that personally speaking, FF7 Rebirth isn't the one I got to play right now, you know? I'm sure it's a cool game for what it is, just like FF7 Remake. It's just that Unicorn Overlord is entertaining me now. And I've been waiting for Dragon's Dogma since Dragon's Dogma released back on PS3.

YMMV, of course.

KàIRóS

You’re still assuming he’ll agree with that though. There have been plenty of people also not bothered by Remake’s ending, including people who have played the OG.

Well, I gave my grain of sand to OP, I wish I could tolerate bad writing cause man I'm still pissed at Rebirth it's been a full week since I finished it and I'm still pissed at that ending.

Last edited:

geary

Only one game has Tifa in bikini.
Talking about Kingdom Hearts 2, right? Not really bikini, though...

Kh2-tifa_render.png

Vyse

Gold Member
Are you tired of FFVII? Rebirth is a much better game that dwarfs Remake's size and content. If you want more, absolutely go for it. Otherwise, wait for DD2, which seems to be amazing.

Nope, he means Rebirth. He says in the post he is almost done finishing Remake.
It tires at all. In fact I am loving it. Going all the side quests and taking my time as much as the game will allow.

Vyse

Gold Member
Unicorn overlord has a literal timed demo where you can experience the opening hours or the game and make a decision then.

Do it, no one really knows how good Dragons Dogma 2 is, we assume it will be great and it probably will be.

Rebirth is just more of remake, if you enjoyed that you will enjoy it.

Out of the two I have currently played, it's a hard thing to narrow down, they are both great in their respective roles.
Great point. Forgot about the demo. Also believe I read that the progress carries over into the full game when I purchase.

Vyse

Gold Member
Thanks everyone. Lots to think about and some great points made. Wrapping up Remake shortly. Wish I had more time to play today, but family stuff getting in the way. Really appreciate all of the guidance. Will let you know where I landed. Don’t think I can really go wrong with the choices. Going to play all three at some point regardless. Best!

StereoVsn

DD2 seems to be coming in kind of rough technically, at least on consoles, so I would wait for a full review.

Frankly for a palate cleanser you would want a different sort of genre, IMO. Plus some platform era, action games, adventure games, etc…. Then go into Rebirth, game is amazing.

Not that Unicorn Overlord isn’t a great choice if you like SRPGs. It’s just if you liked Remake, Rebirth seems to be the way to go.

Go_Ly_Dow

Nope he says he's almost done playing it and thinks Remake is amazing. Most also think Rebirth is much better than Remake. So you coming in here and trying to put the OP off playing the sequel that he will probably love because you didn't enjoy aspects of it is nothing but projecting and a bit unnecessary for this thread. 😏

If you want a large sample size for sentiment then here it is after 135 critic reviews (92) and over 2000 user reviews (90).

Last edited:

Skifi28

Modders will fix it in 12 hours.
They didn't fix dead space or jedi survivor in many months. Anyway, I'm not saying the PC port will be bad, but the chance is quite high based on past results. I was actually thinking on douple dipping on remake and I was browsing the steam forums to see if it's fixed by now, but many people suggested there is still constant stuttering even now with no fix in sight. Modders are not panacea.

Play the game that requires the least amount of patches to be great early on: Unicorn Overlord. Down the road both FFVIIR and DD2 will be all the better for massive amounts of fixes.

wvnative

They didn't fix dead space or jedi survivor in many months. Anyway, I'm not saying the PC port will be bad, but the chance is quite high based on past results. I was actually thinking on douple dipping on remake and I was browsing the steam forums to see if it's fixed by now, but many people suggested there is still constant stuttering even now with no fix in sight. Modders are not panacea.

On my laptop (3060) it was a stuttery mess without mods, mods helped it a lot, though it would still happen on rare occasion.

My desktop (4090) it runs flawlessly, no stutter. if it helps you decide. And I agree. PC port will likely not be good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Unicorn Overlord has been super addicting. I’m loving it. It takes me back to Might & Magic 3, but better if you ask me. Finished Rebirth and looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma 2. Rebirth is good but think about rather or not you want to invest in story or not. I’d say UO and DD2 will be more about gameplay/strategy. DD2 being more about action based combat and less about story. Rebirth is great, but it’s probably the game where the lore is more important. I don’t think you’ll care much about lore in DD2 or UO. UO has a plot, but it’s more relaxing than anything. You don’t have to remember every small detail about the plot.

Vyse

Gold Member
Unicorn Overlord has been super addicting. I’m loving it. It takes me back to Might & Magic 3, but better if you ask me. Finished Rebirth and looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma 2. Rebirth is good but think about rather or not you want to invest in story or not. I’d say UO and DD2 will be more about gameplay/strategy. DD2 being more about action based combat and less about story. Rebirth is great, but it’s probably the game where the lore is more important. I don’t think you’ll care much about lore in DD2 or UO. UO has a plot, but it’s more relaxing than anything. You don’t have to remember every small detail about the plot.
Omg. You had me at Might and Magic my friend!

Vyse

Gold Member
So I just finished up FF7 Remake. I absolutely loved this game. Took me 6 tires to beat the final boss. This was such a beautiful love letter to the young RPGer in me. Think I want to let Remake sink in a little before I kick off Rebirth.

Bit of Vyse history. Had the original FF7 on the PlayStation back in the day. Was tight on cash back then and purchased a third party memory card. Was pretty far in when my save got corrupted. Was so mad that I never ended up finishing. Toady I ended a journey that started 26 years ago.

Next up I’m going to give Dragon’s Dogma 2 a shot and see if it hits. Appreciate everyone’s input. If you haven‘t played FF7 remake yet, I would highly recommend giving it a try. Even the ending credits are making me smile. Also want to give a shout out to the beautiful music.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Top Bottom