• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely.

I think it's more like Tomb Raider, just with a less sloppy message.

But i don't expect them to announce any other platform than PS4 until the exclusivity window ends

So you're saying you don't believe Kagari, who clearly stated this is another SF5 situation?

Zomba13

Still legit shook that SE blew the load at Sony and not their own thing. I guess it'll focus on the western stuff? Hitman, Deus Ex, Just Cause 3 etc?

Mikado

No release date and a colossal 3 disc game with tons of hd towns, monsters, cinematics etc.. to redo with this quality ?

No kidding, there is a massive amount of content to rework, and It seems like it will require a huge amount of manpower required to bring the old PSX visuals up to something acceptable by modern standards... I am quite interested to see how they handle it. Whatever it is, I doubt it will be anything approaching FFXV level.

Hell even FFXII level would be an unbelievable leap.

It's time for real talk.

Most people love this game because Sony bankrolled the advertising budget, and it was thrust down people's throats who had little to know rpg experience. Pre-rendered backgrounds, CG cinema scenes, including the nonsensical ending (i'm looking at you life stream) a good game do not make. There were and have been better JRPG's (Suikoden 1 and 2) including within the Final Fantasy franchise (VI) that would benefit from a remake. Unless this is being rewritten from the ground up I fail to see how this is a good thing.

You're crazy! First of all, it probably is ground up. Second of all, the game was absolutely top of its field for its time.

Yes, in retrospect, it was undeniably insane. But the game was a monster.

It's time for real talk.

Most people love this game because Sony bankrolled the advertising budget, and it was thrust down people's throats who had little to know rpg experience. Pre-rendered backgrounds, CG cinema scenes, including the nonsensical ending (i'm looking at you life stream) a good game do not make. There were and have been better JRPG's (Suikoden 1 and 2) including within the Final Fantasy franchise (VI) that would benefit from a remake. Unless this is being rewritten from the ground up I fail to see how this is a good thing.

You're right, we're all just too stupid to look past the marketing blitz the game received. That's really the only reason people like the game. Thank god you're here to point this out to everyone. Shows over folks, we've been living a lie all these years.

I was all "oooooooooooh" when I saw this come on, but I was kind of expecting it from the rumors this week. When I saw that Nomura was directing it though, I fucking screamed.

For a while I'd been thinking that SE would have had to have offered him another project to make up for taking him off of FFXV, assuming they wanted him to stay with the company. I was worried that with the stuff that went on there and how little we've seen of him in the months post TGS, that he'd essentially be fading out of FF and SE in general. If they trust him to direct this, that gives me more faith in both this project and the Nomura's future at SE.

Also I really like how Hashimoto was intentionally fucking with us. Really good joker, there.

a7yb.png

20 years.........this conference will go down in history

aravuus

Well then, I guess the world's really ending soon. Fucking loved the trailer. Goddamn it. FF VII Remake.

God

damn

Really hope it comes to PC too, although by the time the game actually comes out (if it ever does), I suppose I've gotten myself a new PS4

Vanille

It's time for real talk.

What is this shit. Pre-rendered backgrounds are awesome.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So you're saying you don't believe Kagari, who clearly stated this is another SF5 situation?

Who clearly stated they don't know for certain, you mean?

"First on xxx" isn't PR speak you'd associate with a console/PC release.

If it was exclusive, they'd say exclusive, with or without PC.

Diablos

All you need to do is look at S-E's stock price to confirm that, yes, they were indeed sitting on a goldmine. It's about time -- it's been hyped for so long that it was just begging to happen, but I didn't believe the news at first. I've long maintained that S-E would mess up a FFVII remake somehow, but on the other hand, the game frankly deserves a remake given how cherished it is; if it falls short of living up to expectations, so be it.

It would be nice if this came to PC as I'm trying to stay PC-only this gen, but I'm sure it won't be out for a long, long time... so a PS4 should be really cheap if I still don't have one when this is finally released.

Corpekata

Banned
If it is not coming to XB1 why not say console exclusive?

Console exclusive often means it's coming out around the same time as the PC version (and often times actually after). In this case the game, whether it hits PC or Xbox or both, it's going to be after the PS4 version.

Jaymageck

I wonder if having all the other games in the series will limit their ability to alter the original at all without creating plot inconsistencies.

I used to be one for fixed, rigid, super-faithful remakes but nowadays I prefer some creativity. Remakes like Twin Snakes are pretty sterile, where as the Resident Evil remake had a decent whack of new stuff.

I hope they have enough flexibility to throw in some surprises.

cj_iwakura

This still must be years away, easily. I can't fathom how a game as massive as FF7 can get fully remade in time for the 20th anniversary when a brand new project like XV keeps stumbling.

THERE IT FUCKING IS!

I was legit jumping up and down when it came on. I'm so happy right now. In addition to the other two pieces of Sony's holy trinity (already backed Shenmue 3).

And I just want to say that I'm so happy and honored to have been a part of the Siliconera rumor thread. The ride was glorious and I'll never forget it gaf. I never gave up hope and was ready to ride that hype train into the sun. That thread will be talked about on gaf for years. Seeing it unfold and actually happen made this the best E3 of my life. Thanks GAF.

Square finally did it! Still in disbelief.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Console exclusive often means it's coming out around the same time as the PC version (and often times actually after). In this case the game, whether it hits PC or Xbox or both, it's going to be after the PS4 version.

Console exclusive doesn't mean parallel release. It just means it's console exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom