• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daviii

Maybe the catch for this remake is that it's actually a trilogy! One game separated into 3. To be released every year for three years!That's how they're going to meet the 2017 deadline!
#BadIdeasThatYouDontwantsetohear

I have to keep toning down my enthusiasm because SE might disappoint so I keep coming uo with possible ways that they can screw up, in the spirit of anticipating for the worse. And I'm not even as enthusiastic as most of you guys. I didn't cry nor scream out loud

Yeah. 2017 and Aeris is gone. 2018 all your characters level 99 and the game basically finished.

2019 final boss in PS5

Son Of D

For the battle system, it'll be nice if it had something a bit more like X-2's ATB system. With the chains and faster paced combat. Seems like it'll be fitting for FFVII whilst still giving you control over your entire party.

I hope they don't try too hard to be faithful to the original. I know it's a remake, but the same game with completely new visuals is a waste of resources to me, especially since I like Nomura's style anyway. I want it to be his vision or interpretation of FF7, since I can still just play the original if I want.

They better keep in a My Bloody Valentine reference though.

If they made aeris/aerith dead contextual, would that please everyone?

Like in a defeat sephiroth as a boss right now/ at least dont die instantly kind of way?

If you do badly in the fight she dies, if you do decently she survives.

*shrug* I dont even know
Aeris surviving would completely mess up the plot

Man

UE4 makes all the sense seeing how well Kingdom Hearts fares on it.
The crystal engine is not doing FF15 many favors.

Aeris dies. This isn't some side character or whatever where their death doesn't actually have an impact, it's pretty much the set up for the rest of the game.

DieH@rd

Banned
hype2qplvg.gif

For the battle system, it'll be nice if it had something a bit more like X-2's ATB system. With the chains and faster paced combat. Seems like it'll be fitting for FFVII whilst still giving you control over your entire party.

If they want to do a relatively straightforward forward-port of the battle system and encounter design, then yeah, ATB Kai is the way to go for sure. I expect something wholly new, though, not a direct adaptation of what we've seen in another game.

Meaty

Aeris surviving would completely mess up the plot

Yeah I know its unheard of final fantasy games having branching paths. Maybe they could put someone to die in her place?

All I know is that while a remake has to be faithful, it also haves to do original things to spice it up a bit. Otherwise it gets dull. Only reason I like to watch GoT and Walking dead is because I know things might be different from what I've read.

Sephzilla

Yeah I know its unheard of final fantasy games having branching paths. Maybe they could put someone to die in her place?

All I know is that while a remake has to be faithful, it also haves to do original things to spice it up a bit. Otherwise it gets dull. Only reason I like to watch GoT and Walking dead is because I know things might be different from what I've read.

Nobody else dying would match the plot significance of her death.

To echo what I've said before, I wouldn't mind them adding a "non canon" story mode that's got a few extra goodies in it like reviving Aeris

Sure we can have different stuff, but if we make Aeris live we might as well add a "But the world refused to change" game over screen a-la Chrono Trigger because Sephirot would just win right there.

GoT having different stuff is cool, but you can't like say - season 1 spoilers just in case lol -
have Eddard not die
then the whole reason for the story ceases to exist, it's too big of a change.

HeelPower

The wait for this will be insane.

FF7 PC port got delayed a good 6 months.That should give you an idea of how long the actual remake will take.

We're in this for the long haul you guys.Years of wait incoming.

I'm definitely into the prospect of added sidequests (something FF7 already had in spades) but on the other hand basically all new sidequests will probably be about Compilation of FF7 tie-ins, so be careful what you wish for.

The idea that they *won't* tie it into the Compilation things (despite their poor plotting) is just impossible - Nojima's not gonna cast aside his own work like that - so I just hope they do it tastefully instead of being really clumsy about it.

New Aerith-related sidequests would be neat if they somehow involve gaining her help from beyond the grave, but it'd kinda undermine the impact of the ending if she's pretty much constantly helping your party instead of only saving the day at the very end once Sephiroth's out of the way.
I think they're going to scrap the bathhouse setting. They just have to. Would be so awkward in current tech.
I wanna do the sound design and foley work for the scene with the bodybuilders when the camera pans away. Start off with the sound of someone open-palm slapping a bowl full of mayonnaise, transition slowly to the sound of someone energetically stirring a pot full of mac and cheese.

Robert Baratheon: "...She dies."

If she must stay dead.

RangerBAD

The speculation is that this is one of the three games that CyberConnect2 said that they were working on. They described one game as

- UE4
- RPG
- Large scale development
- Developed for a worldwide audience
- Photorealistic
- Physical based rendering

I think they'll use Luminous Studio. Or whatever they're using for Dissidia unless that is UE4. Heh.

Go_Ly_Dow

UE4 makes all the sense seeing how well Kingdom Hearts fares on it.
The crystal engine is not doing FF15 many favors.

FF15 is the Luminous Engine and its quite the opposite in fact and very impressive.

If they have gone for UE4 then it's simply a man power/timing decisions as the luminous engineers are all busy with XV to transfer over to VII.

Rosur

Brought FFVII on steam so I can actually play through it before this comes out as never have before and feel I should play the original.

MogCakes

For dialogue options I'd be fine if they went with a XIII-2/Mass-Effect type system. Keep all the options from before and add new dialogue choices too.

So nice to be able to finally witness this in glorious HD

tumblr_llrcavnMda1qbs968o1_500.jpg

It's amazing the game receive a Teen rating, all things considered.

There was a whole lot of innuendo and suggesive stuff that shouldnt' have gone through.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=32345

Cutscenes include additional instances of violence: soldiers shooting at unarmed men; characters getting slashed/impaled with a sword in slow motion. A handful of environments also depict bloodstained floors and walls. The game contains suggestive innuendo in the dialogue during a bathtub sequence (e.g., “Bubby! So you're the intimate type, eh?” and “Why don't you stick around and play a bit? Daddy's so lonely . . .”). During the course of the game, a goddess-like character is dressed in a low-cut top that displays moderate amounts of cleavage. The words “jacka*s,” “goddamn,” and “sh*t” appear in dialogue.

They can't receive a M rating. That would kill the sales of the game.

Was a long time (over a decade) since I was super excited for a game (The last time I was excited for a game was Halo 2 - tho the first gameplay trailer was bs). FFVII Remake gonna be sweet you guys. I have faith in Nomura.

Why action RPG equals "modern systems", action RPG games have been on gaming almost as long as turn based systems....

And presentation equsl now to destroy the classic look of a game to make it more dark and edgy?

I'm down for turn-based stuff, but no waiting for bars to fill up or standing in lines opposite the enemies. FFX's CTB is good because it's so damn fast; so is FFX-2's ATB Kai or FFXII's ADB because they allow for simultaneous turns.

As for presentation, I'm just talking about how engaged the combat animation is. Definitely agree with you that dark and edgy is bad; someone earlier in the thread posted that they want FFVIIR to keep around the weirder enemies from the original like the house from the junkyard and I totally agree.

Also, totally calling it now that the final title of this is "FFVII: Reunion."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom