• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Spoilers Thread!

Raonak

Banned
Finally finished it and I'm so glad I didn't read any spoilers.

The ending was confusing as fuck, but I loved what they did with it.
Essentially turning a remake into a retelling or a sequel.

Presumably, 7R-2 will now take place in the new timeline where Zack is alive? I hope he's playable.

In any case, this makes the sequel so much more interesting.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So, a little late, but I just beat this, so I can finally post and read about it without worrying about spoilers.

I enjoyed the overall experience. The combat system was versatile and a lot of fun. And I don't mind the story changes as much as some, but I will admit it comes off as very Kingdom Hearts-like. But I'm curious to see where they're taking this.

Additionally, I'm planning to play the original now (I never actually did before, even though I know the story). Eventually I'm gonna also come back and try this one on hard mode and choose the other story options I didn't before. Hope the next installment doesn't take too long.

Hard mode takes the game to whole new level. It's where the battle system really shines, you really need to specifically setup your party for each battle and do a very good MP management through the whole game, since it regenerates much harder.

The last two battles of the game, and the ultimate challenge were pretty stressful battles but damn satisfying to conclude.

I'm eagerly waiting for part 2.

Last edited:

Mazojin

Neo Member
So I've officially downloaded the original FF7. With The Last of Us 2 right around the corner, I probably won't get through it right away, but I'm glad to have it at the ready.

Side note, I really enjoyed the voice acting in this one. (Sephiroth was a little too soft spoken at the end of the game though, it was hard to hear him at some points), The dialogue translations were mostly non-cringe, and the few moments weren't anywhere close to the "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally" from Advent Children.
Hard mode takes the game to whole new level. It's where the battle system really shines, you really need to specifically setup your party for each battle and do a very good MP management through the whole game, since it regenerates much harder.

The last two battles of the game, and the ultimate challenge were pretty stressful battles but damn satisfying to conclude.

I'm eagerly waiting for part 2.
Due to trying to avoid spoilers while I played it, I only just found out when I beat the game that you can't even use items in hard mode. I can only imagine that being stressful...

...but like you said, the amount of satisfaction from beating it will definitely be worth it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE what they did with the ending. No one would have blame them if they took the safer route since this was big budget and doing on most iconic Final Fantasy game. This game was less about replacing the original game and more about becoming this secret sequel, even if they completely fail for Part 2, I can still respect what they did.

I have theory that "Remake" in title is not talking about the game itself but more about story and timeline, so with Part 2 we could see titles like "Rebirth" or "Reunion".

McCheese

What if the Zack timeline stuff is a plot device allowing them to still kill off aerith in the main timeline, but also keep her alive in an alternative where Zack protected her.

Then the end where aerith gives cloud all that mako energy to help on the final battle is alternative timeline aerith helping.

Would be a (lazy) way to keep both camps happy and stay somewhat canonical

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What if the Zack timeline stuff is a plot device allowing them to still kill off aerith in the main timeline, but also keep her alive in an alternative where Zack protected her.
There is also possibility someone else dies in Aerith place, like Tifa. I think anything can happen at this point and I kind find that very exciting.

Holgren

After sleeping on it I realized how much I don't like the whispers, they are absolutely terrible in every way. They are formless, don't have any personality and only exist as a plot device (that we are yet to see the quality of it) in which they are pretty inconsistent at it (is it ever explained why everyone could see them at 7th Heaven?). They ruined every scene they were in which is why they completely screwed up the ending, since it was all about them. I'm okay for the developers changing part of the story but do it in a meaningful and creative way, the whispers are cheap and cliche.

Definitely lost the hype for future entries, the game was overall fun but we can't deny the story is a huge part of FF7 and what they have given us (imo of course) is piss poor reimagining. I'll buy future entries 2nd hand or when they go on sale.

Last edited:

dwish

Do you guys think that the whispers will return for the subsequent parts?

I mean, the whole reason of them existing was as a setup for the ending. Now that they have been defeated and the characters have broken free of their 'shackles', will they leave the overly supernatural parts absent in part 2 etc?

TheAssist

After sleeping on it I realized how much I don't like the whispers, they are absolutely terrible in every way. They are formless, don't have any personality and only exist as a plot device (that we are yet to see the quality of it) in which they are pretty inconsistent at it (is it ever explained why everyone could see them at 7th Heaven?). They ruined every scene they were in which is why they completely screwed up the ending, since it was all about them. I'm okay for the developers changing part of the story but do it in a meaningful and creative way, the whispers are cheap and cliche.

Definitely lost the hype for future entries, the game was overall fun but we can't deny the story is a huge part of FF7 and what they have given us (imo of course) is piss poor reimagining. I'll buy future entries 2nd hand or when they go on sale.

Only those of are about to meaningful change the fate of the planet see them. Hence Rufus sees them, but not Tseng.

Do you guys think that the whispers will return for the subsequent parts?

I mean, the whole reason of them existing was as a setup for the ending. Now that they have been defeated and the characters have broken free of their 'shackles', will they leave the overly supernatural parts absent in part 2 etc?

Since you literally killed Destiny in the end, all the whispers are gone.

There are a lot of really interesting theories out there. Quite a few have been posted here already. Its worth a look!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just got done with this, and boy, oh boy, do I struggle to think of any other remake that absolutely takes the coward’s way out with the alterations it makes 🤣

Instead of simply being brave enough to take the storyline off in a new direction - just because it’s the right thing to do - we have to suffer with this convoluted multiple timeline/destiny hand wavy bullshit, that I have no doubt some found profound and clever, but I just see as a cheap way of not making the fanboys angry 😂

I actually thought they had some balls when Barret ‘died’, but no... he’s resurrected by the cut price Dementors, because that’s what’s ‘supposed to happen’. Dribble, dribble, fan service wankery.

Maybe years ago the multiple timeline angle was clever, but these days it’s just an eye rolling, lazy way of avoiding fresh storytelling.

Can’t say I’m going to rush to buy the second instalment - where Aerith will no doubt live, because they’re all free of destiny now! 🙄

And all of this at the end of a game full of padded out, dull, repetitive narrative strands and walking sections that kill the pace completely. There’s a reason why Midgar is done in six hours in the original.

The fact that some people are hailing this as a subversive masterpiece really makes me fear for the critical faculties of the gaming community.

6/10... would be 5, but the combat was pretty cool and it looked lovely.

Top Bottom