• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Spoilers Thread!

Bennettt2

just finished in about 35hrs. The last 3 chapters are quite a ride.

I felt confused by the end of it all, with all the new FF13-type talk of changing fate, which felt out-of-place. Then I remembered how I felt watching the original story beats through the earlier chapters. Despite the nice graphics, it felt somewhat redundant. So I guess that, while I'm still trying to form in my head what occurred in the remake, they really chose a good option of creating something both old and new, appeasing those who want to revisit the FF7 universe and simultaneously setting a foundation for new stories to be told with the characters.

and the end credits version of Aerith's theme is sublime.

DryPancakes

Banned
Nomura unchained.

Kingdom Hearts 3 ending should have clued in folks. This man has jumped off a cliff and taken all of us with him.

This is a trend with square enix.

3rd birthday: Time travel as a main plot device when the first one was a realtively simple modern day bio scifi story.
FFVX: Time travel out of nowhere to solve a gameplay problem
and now FF7 joins the ranks of hack writing.

I read this somewhere else, I don't remember if it was in this thread but it's 100% right: Introducing time travel and parallel universes in a story not specifically designed with those elements in mind, is the death of storytelling and artistic integrity.

saintjules

^ I would have to agree with all of those - points, minus the graphics. I'm also just at Wall Market and haven't seen any deterioration in graphics as I progress.

If it means anything, it's important to note that the base PS4 is not at 4K (obviously). So curious if People are playing on the base or Pro.

ExpandKong

Banned
Now I remember where I heard of this concept before - Nomura pulled a Banjo X on FF7 lol

Sephimoth

Just finished it.

Pathetic and insulting finale. It's Mass Effect 3 all over again...

All they had to do was stick to the original, instead they had to do some bizarre 'epic' battles in some weird space dimension thing and take a huge dump on the original.

Minus some parts I was actually enjoying the game up until that.
All I can hope for is that they patch it all out and rethink it....

If it means anything, it's important to note that the base PS4 is not at 4K (obviously). So curious if People are playing on the base or Pro.
i'm on the pro.

the graphics..
i mean looking at below reactor 5 chapter, you'll see midgar city below.. a flat texture of buildings. landing in the slums after, i see trash pile hills of a flat texture. debris looking like ps2 model quality.
it's the lightning returns dog all over again.

you can tell they put effort into KEY areas though. The memorable parts from the original. Such as the entire 1st chapter bomb run, the church you fall into also looks lovely.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So which game had better writing? This one, the entirety of XIII and it's sequels or as mentioned above The 3rd Birthday? Just for fun.

-------------

I think the dramatically changed narrative makes the game's title very misleading.

saintjules

i'm on the pro.

the graphics..
i mean looking at below reactor 5 chapter, you'll see midgar city below.. a flat texture of buildings. landing in the slums after, i see trash pile hills of a flat texture. debris looking like ps2 model quality.
it's the lightning returns dog all over again.

you can tell they put effort into KEY areas though. The memorable parts from the original. Such as the entire 1st chapter bomb run, the church you fall into also looks lovely.

Oh I see. Hopefully for next-gen that becomes an improvement. I think there was a discussion on how resources wouldn't be used in a major way for certain textures.

Still waiting for my copy - hopefully Best Buy doesn't have any delay.

It’s pretty easy to play the original game now though...it’s been re-released on pretty much every platform imaginable. Unless I’m misunderstanding the reason you’re upset.
I know i can play the game on PC with emulator i just cant stand the PS1 graphics which is way too outdated for me its just unbearable to see no offense

chitzy

Banned
It’s pretty easy to play the original game now though...it’s been re-released on pretty much every platform imaginable. Unless I’m misunderstanding the reason you’re upset.
In his defense, it's pretty difficult to play through a game with PS1 graphics in this day and age. At least for me it is.

ExpandKong

Banned
I know i can play the game on PC with emulator i just cant stand the PS1 graphics which is way too outdated for me its just unbearable to see no offense
In his defense, it's pretty difficult to play through a game with PS1 graphics in this day and age. At least for me it is.

Ah I getcha. Yeah that makes sense. I grew up in that era but even then the only games from back then that I can play nowadays are ones I actually played and enjoyed at that time.

DonJorginho

Banned
Am I the only one here who played and loved the OG and isn't foaming from the mouth regarding these changes.

I'm looking forward to this reimagining, reboot, remake whatever the fuck you wanna call it even more now because of all this discussion.

Am tempted to play it now but am gonna wait for the texture issues to see if they're resolved in a day one patch.

I get why people are annoyed though, I'm not gonna act like it's not 100% right what they did but I'm all for it as I want to see something new, as long as they don't fuck up the plot threads they've started.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So which game had better writing? This one, the entirety of XIII and it's sequels or as mentioned above The 3rd Birthday? Just for fun.

-------------

I think the dramatically changed narrative makes the game's title very misleading.
OG FFVII crafted by Sakaguchi, Kitase, Nojima and Nomura>>>>>>>Motomu Toriyama's disasters>>>>>>>>>>>FF VII 2.22 You Can(NOT) get mad once you paid for this.

I just finished it and feel like I'm the only person on the internet who loved it and it's twist. For me it truly was something special to play through.

its_Ditz

I just finished it and feel like I'm the only person on the internet who loved it and it's twist. For me it truly was something special to play through.

You can like it, no Problem. Issue lies within the fact that this was always advertised to be a proper remake, which turns out to be incredibly misleading. Not even once during the last five years has it been stated that Nomura was going to inject some screwball "reimagining" into it, until now right before release. Oh, right - even now he didn't say it, the leaks revealed everything.

This is just wrong on every conceiveable level...

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Sonic Adventure remake - but it's written by Pontaff, removes the iconic elements that make the original game special (the opening, Chao Garden, adventure gameplay, level design, the spindash mechanic, different gameplay styles) and Roger Craig Smith making "self aware" jokes about Adventure's dialogue (like any game after 2010's writing is any better)

Edit: this pseudo happened in that Lego universe game, and I fear this is going to be the standard for upcoming remakes

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Wait, so you are telling me FFXIII is still the last great non MMO Final Fantasy and this is pulling FFXV bullshit? Fuck off Nomura.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
You can like it, no Problem. Issue lies within the fact that this was always advertised to be a proper remake, which turns out to be incredibly misleading. Not even once during the last five years has it been stated that Nomura was going to inject some screwball "reimagining" into it, until now right before release. Oh, right - even now he didn't say it, the leaks revealed everything.

Yeah my problems with this are

1) People were looking forward to a remake of the story they loved originally, and SE/Nomura knew this and capitalized on it. It seems...somehow inappropriate to do something like this. I dunno.

2) It’s actually a neat idea for a remake - one that I have zero faith in Nomura to effectively execute. Remember every single Kingdom Hearts game after the first one? Remember during the final battle gauntlet in Kingdom Hearts 3 when Riku defeated Dark Riku From The Past with the help of an invisible third Riku? The guy who wrote that is the guy who’s adding parallel dimensions and time travel to Final Fantasy 7.

fallingdove

I think there was some allusion to a reimagining in the reveal trailer.

“The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear, but let us embrace whatever it brings — for THEY are coming back...”

That said, if these leaks are accurate, this is a bastardization, not a reimagination.

Nomura has really fucked up Square. He never should have been moved outside of the art department.

God, I really miss Sakaguchi.

chitzy

Banned
I think there was some allusion to a reimagining in the reveal trailer.

“The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear, but let us embrace whatever it brings — for THEY are coming back...”

That said, if these leaks are accurate, this is a bastardization, not a reimagination.

Nomura has really fucked up Square. He never should have been moved outside of the art department.

God, I really miss Sakaguchi.
I would hardly call that an allusion at anything other than the player getting to experience the game again.

chitzy

Banned
13 is probably #4 on my list, behind 6, 9, and 7. I know it is a controversial opinion to like 13, but XV is a steaming pile of hot shit.
I haven't been able to play through a Final Fantasy game since 10. 13 I was done after about an hour. Never touched 15 I'm sure it would be the same.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I haven't been able to play through a Final Fantasy game since 10. 13 I was done after about an hour. Never touched 15 I'm sure it would be the same.

I couldn't finish 10 because I got bored, but I at least liked the music and the characters enough to watch the rather dumb ending.

Glad I got spoiled, this went from a hype day one buy to maybe someday when it goes on Steam sale.

ExpandKong

Banned
13 is probably #4 on my list, behind 6, 9, and 7. I know it is a controversial opinion to like 13, but XV is a steaming pile of hot shit.

Bro there’s at least three other FF games that should go between 7 and 13 on your list but you’ve at least got the top three in the right spots I guess.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Bro there’s at least three other FF games that should go between 7 and 13 on your list but you’ve at least got the top three in the right spots I guess.

5 and 4 are right behind 13. Then hmm Brave Exvius, 2, 1, 3, 10, World of Final Fantasy, Chocobo Dungeon, Crystal Defenders, FF4: After Years, 8, 15?

Tactics isn't in this rating because it has ascended beyond mere mortal turn based RPGs.

LixhulHot

Banned
Im just not a fan of the battle system, just seems chaotic rather than strategic like the original. I'm hoping it grows but I find it boring rather than exciting.

Arkage

Banned
FFXIII is still the last great non MMO Final Fantasy

Wat. FFXIII was not great.

Im just not a fan of the battle system, just seems chaotic rather than strategic like the original. I'm hoping it grows but I find it boring rather than exciting.

Calling FF7 OG's battle system "strategic" is quite the stretch.

Am I the only one here who played and loved the OG and isn't foaming from the mouth regarding these changes.

I'm looking forward to this reimagining, reboot, remake whatever the fuck you wanna call it even more now because of all this discussion.

Am tempted to play it now but am gonna wait for the texture issues to see if they're resolved in a day one patch.

I get why people are annoyed though, I'm not gonna act like it's not 100% right what they did but I'm all for it as I want to see something new, as long as they don't fuck up the plot threads they've started.

Agreed. If they wanted to go this route they should've been much more transparent rather than it being a "twist" of the game for people to explode over. I won't be too salty if they change some stuff so long as all the locations, music and characters are there retaining their same overall personality. Also some key moments would still still have to happen in pretty much the same way for it to have any legitimacy, i.e. Aerith dying/Cloud's mental breakdown. If they fuck with those I won't be happy.... but I'll still buy it. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I gotta say, the crazy parallel universe/alternate dimension story shit and these impressions are actually getting me even more hyped for Friday.

Remake indeed lol. Fuckin Nomura man 🤣

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so you are telling me FFXIII is still the last great non MMO Final Fantasy and this is pulling FFXV bullshit? Fuck off Nomura.
But 12 was the last decent FF (numbered) game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does Cloud end Sephiroth with Omnislash for the win?

Do I get to see Supernova?

Is Knights of the Round in this That would be awesome to see

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
Zack is probably still dead.
In his ending sequence they have the same shiny glowing shit in the air that you see in Bigg's ending sequence when it's revealed he survived. There is clearly going to be some fuckery going on there, whether he's alive in this timeline or another. It would also be pretty pointless to show him otherwise. Someone on 4chan mentioned that there is more about this in the codexes but I haven't confirmed that.

mortal

Gold Member
I get what they're going for, but they're definitely taking advantage of nostalgia and the expectations of fans to sell what is essentially a new compilation of FFVII.
FFVII is Square Enix's favorite cash cow. Cloud Strife on his own is one of their most marketable characters.

There are some good aspects to FFVII Remake, I don't want to be so unfair, but this is so far off from what I'd consider an ideal remake of FFVII.

Top Bottom