• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7's crappy textures confirmed to be an Unreal Engine bug. Game has terrific textures.

Nickolaidas

Credit to Cain Alexander for datamining this.

"Can confirm the textures in FF7R are VERY HD, but Unreal just fucked us all by never properly loading because "lol PS4" I guess. HD versions of this on mega because Imgur won't let me upload because they're too large lol"

So I think it's safe to assume that the PS5 version will have the textures in their amazing glory.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Days gone had bad streaming issues too. That they were never able to fix.

I always found it bizarre because the game never dropped frames during massive 500 horde battles or during super impressive snow storms. But all of sudden just driving your bike turned the game into a literally slideshow.

I remember Square saying that they made this game with the PS5 in mind as well as the PS4. I wonder if they made the game in a way that it was easy for the PS5 to load the textures , but never bothered to port this to the PS4 version.

They made this game on a PC first and foremost, then ported it to PS4 once Sony bought exclusive rights for 1 year. There's no confirmation whether the PS5 will receive an updated port or simply allow you to play the PS4 port on the PS5.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

They made this game on a PC first and foremost, then ported it to PS4 once Sony bought exclusive rights for 1 year. There's no confirmation whether the PS5 will receive an updated port or simply allow you to play the PS4 port on the PS5.

I'm pretty sure this will never be fixed lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they advertise the PS5 version's 'improved textures' as a selling point.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Nowhere in that article states that the PS5 version will be any different, thus I'm assuming they meant allowing you to play PS4 copy on PS5.
Well, it makes sense that they wouldn't say it … otherwise PS4 version's sales would be lower because people would be waiting for the 'proper' PS5 experience.

Not that your theory doesn't walk on solid ground, though.

Well, it makes sense that they wouldn't say it … otherwise PS4 version's sales would be lower because people would be waiting for the 'proper' PS5 experience.

Not that your theory doesn't walk on solid ground, though.

We will just have to wait and see. My theory is they will release a PC and PS5 version simultaneously, with updated resolution, framerate and textures. Maybe even an Xbox One version.

Last edited:

Aion002

Is the PS2 quality of NPC models and the terrible lip syncing during sidequests (for both main characters as well as NPCs) an Unreal "bug" too?
2481dog-then-and-now.jpg

Some things.... do change. :messenger_anxious:

But these days is more acceptable to blame the hardware.... or even the engine...

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

We will just have to wait and see. My theory is they will release a PC and PS5 version simultaneously, with updated resolution, framerate and textures. Maybe even an Xbox One version.
That's my opinion, too. Maaaaaybe they'll release the PS5 version as a launch title, with the PC/Series X version coming six months later than the PS5's.

Some things.... do change. :messenger_anxious:

The stuff of nightmares.

Last edited:
That's my opinion, too. Maaaaaybe they'll release the PS5 version as a launch title, with the PC/Series X version coming six months later than the PS5's.

I hope not. There's no reason to keep PC/Xbone owners waiting any longer. My theory they will all release together after the 1 year exclusivity is up. Unless the only way your possibly right, is if PS5 doesn't follow the same rules since it's owned by Sony so it doesn't need the wait for the 1 year PS4 exclusivity. We shall see.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
But the textures you see in FF7 are not its real textures. It's a flawed comparison.
You and a few others implied that the PS4 wasn't capable to produce HD textures so my reply was according to that.

I would also guess that having the textures in the game could mean that they didn't have the time to implement them properly. Everyone who has played the game has noticed that there are certain parts in the game that felt very rushed as if they were implemented in the last second.

Nickolaidas

Unless the only way your possibly right, is if PS5 doesn't follow the same rules since it's owned by Sony so it doesn't need the wait for the 1 year PS4 exclusivity. We shall see.
That's *exactly* what I think. PS5 is Sony's, so it's part of the Sony deal. Not to mention that Sony would WANT FF7R 'with updated textures' day one on the PS5 in order to increase sales for the console.

You and a few others implied that the PS4 wasn't capable to produce HD textures so my reply was according to that.
I never said that. My theory is that Square's team wasn't very experienced with the Unreal Engine and weren't able to make the textures load fast enough on the PS4 - or that they made high-res textures to go with the PS5 version, and never bothered to downgrade those textures to an acceptable point for the PS4 version without sacrificing framerate, so instead they decided to have the PS4 load the low low res textures in the large maps and have a steady framerate.

This (again my opinion, my theory with my ass being the only source) wasn't because of Square being lazy but rather Square being inexperienced with Unreal 4 and focusing on the PS5 high-res version. (they probably never encountered such issues with the PS5, since it'll probably load all those textures instantly)

We'll know for sure in a few months from now.

Last edited:

Sign

Both KH3 and DQ11 use UE4 and run at 900p with dicey performance. My guess is this was the sacrifice to get the game to run at 1080p at basically locked 30. Them building the game with next-gen in mind makes sense because they will need to be able to reuse a lot of these assests later.

PS5 probably gets a patch, and Sony uses it in their inevitable list of games getting a bump for next gen marketing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
I also want to bring attention to this possible leak:

square-enix-leaks.jpg

Part 2 mentions PS5, Xbox and Windows. So it's only safe to assume that Part 1 also will be released on the same platforms. But I also want to point out there's no mention of PS4 for Part 2, so either this is fake, or real and there really isn't a PS4 version of part 2. But it could also mean this leak was in early stages or they could've forgotten to included it altogether. In other words, it's still all speculation at this point, but I thought it be interesting to bring up and discuss regardless.

Nickolaidas

square-enix-leaks.jpg

Part 2 mentions PS5, Xbox and Windows. So it's only safe to assume that Part 1 also will be released on the same platforms. But I also want to point out there's no mention of PS4 for Part 2, so either this is fake, or real and there really isn't a PS4 version of part 2. But it could also mean this leak was in early stages or they could've forgotten to included it altogether. In other words, it's still all speculation at this point, but I thought it be interesting to bring up and discuss regardless.
I hope it's real. If anything, the PS4 will drag down the sequel in terms of visuals and map design. Hope Part 2 it's next-gen only.

But … I remember Square stating that they have no reason to go next-gen only right now, so … who knows.

Aion002

square-enix-leaks.jpg

If they don't release all parts of FFVII on Ps4, it will be the most scummy thing S-E has ever done.

The games are being made on Unreal, they can scale down everything to run on PS4.

I will only buy FFVII R when is complete... But damnnnn if they make next gen only....

Also, Babylons Fall is announced so far for PC and PS4... Sure, there is no reason to not release on Xbox , but it's weird that the pc version is not mentioned in this leak.

Last edited:
If they don't release all parts of FFVII on Ps4, it will be the most scummy thing S-E has ever done.

The games are being made on Unreal, they can scale down everything to run on PS4.

I will only buy FFVII R when is complete... But damnnnn if they make next gen only....

Also, Babylons Fall is announced so far for PC and PS4... Sure, there is no reason to not release on Xbox , but it's weird that the pc version is not mentioned in this leak.

This could be an old leak. It's not uncommon changes will be made overtime. At the time of the leak this seems pretty legit, of course the leaker may have forgotten to include PC, like they have forgotten to include PS4 for part 2. It's also possible development for Babylons Fall has changed to console only first. I hate to use this as an example, but the latest Samurai Shodown was initially scheduled to be released on all platforms at the same time. Turns out they released it on PS4 and Xbox first, then Switch and Stadia, and saved for last PC which turned out to be an Epic store exclusive afteall. So I'm not surprised if this leak isn't 100% accurate.

Edit: They also forgot to include the new marvel avengers game, so again the information is pretty scarce, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cool this is something they can patch, then? since the good textures are in there, it shouldn't be hard to get them back.

also once you get out of those earlier areas the game looks fantastic throughout. i imagine this game will only look better and better in the future.

Fbh

It's nice they can fix it eventually (at very least on the PC release).

In the end they didn't bother me too much though. If anything I found some of the lowres skyboxes more distracting.

I'm replaying it on hard mode now and reaching the slums was like "hey there N64 door, long time no see"

Esppiral

I don't think they will be able to parch it, sure the ps4 can render HD textures but if the amount of unique trextures is high and given the limited amount of ram UE4 is adjusting the load based on what's on screen hence why it can't render higher quality assets the ram is basically full.

fvng

today i learned this game runs on the Unreal Engine, I don't remember seeing Unreal Engine logos at bootup

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

square-enix-leaks.jpg

It's fake.

Shrap

It's not the fault of the unreal engine nor the PS4. It's completely Square Enix's fault as they chose the engine, developed the game for the PS4 and didn't fix it. It's a universal issue that should've been found and solved very quickly after some basic testing.

No shifting the blame anywhere other than with Square Enix.

Germuso

Days gone is bigger and It doesnt have this problem but square doesn't give a fuck

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

leo-j

I def think they tried to bring out the best graphics they could on a 1.8TF PS4 which is why they limited the first game to midgar. Literally the game looks like the best game of the gen at times and at times it doesn't. I'm very impressed with what they did with the first 5-7 hours of the original game, it's an absolute epic, and I can argue it is the BEST game they have released since square enix came about. Thank god too because FF 15 and others were atrocities comparitively.

El Sueño

The first chapter versus the others ones are QUIET DIFFERENT in terms of production value. It looks like they were rush in some parts of the development.

TheAssist

So in when all the parts are released you're going to play it on your 13 year old system? Cool.

But for real. How is that scummy? Sometimes I just dont get people. So Halo, Uncharted, Gears, God of War and so many other franchises are scummy too?

Guess what, game development takes a lot of time these days and recreating something of that size that late into a console cycle will lead to it being released on other platforms. Why would they restrict themselves to develop it for PS4 in the year 202x when the last past is coming out? Makes no sense.

People have to live with the fact that remakes exist. They have existed in any other medium for thousands of years now (even written or oral stories that have been "remade" over time). Because a good idea is worth redoing. A good song can be covered or done in a different style. Plays and musicals and operas have been getting remade for hundreds of years now. Same with movies. Games are at an age were the milestones in their history will be revisited. Sometimes by the same people, sometimes by new people. Thats not the same as laziness. FF7r part 1 is a full game with a lot of content and high production values and stands on its own. If people think that turning a few sentences from a side character from 23 years ago into a 3h long chapter is lazy than fine. I think they are wrong.
Even if the remake was shit, it still wouldnt be scummy. It would just be a shit game, that gets continued in new console generation.

So much entitlement.

edit: So why is it not possible to fix that? I'm no tech guy.

Last edited:

Aion002

So in when all the parts are released you're going to play it on your 13 year old system? Cool.

But for real. How is that scummy? Sometimes I just dont get people. So Halo, Uncharted, Gears, God of War and so many other franchises are scummy too?

Guess what, game development takes a lot of time these days and recreating something of that size that late into a console cycle will lead to it being released on other platforms. Why would they restrict themselves to develop it for PS4 in the year 202x when the last past is coming out? Makes no sense.

People have to live with the fact that remakes exist. They have existed in any other medium for thousands of years now (even written or oral stories that have been "remade" over time). Because a good idea is worth redoing. A good song can be covered or done in a different style. Plays and musicals and operas have been getting remade for hundreds of years now. Same with movies. Games are at an age were the milestones in their history will be revisited. Sometimes by the same people, sometimes by new people. Thats not the same as laziness. FF7r part 1 is a full game with a lot of content and high production values and stands on its own. If people think that turning a few sentences from a side character from 23 years ago into a 3h long chapter is lazy than fine. I think they are wrong.
Even if the remake was shit, it still wouldnt be scummy. It would just be a shit game, that gets continued in new console generation.

So much entitlement.

edit: So why is it not possible to fix that? I'm no tech guy.
Because it's made on Unreal Engine which is scalable.

Also, if they can't complete this game by 2022 Square is trolling....

And I will play when I want to play... Probably on my pc... With a shit ton of mods. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Top Bottom