• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7's crappy textures confirmed to be an Unreal Engine bug. Game has terrific textures.

I was hoping they would be able to patch it. I was holding off on doing a second play through to see if it would happen. Sounds like it won’t be fixed until the PS5 version.

Same here, honestly.
Side note: Awesome avatar! I wish I could find a Kos Mos one similar to it.

Spokker

But the textures you see in FF7 are not its real textures. It's a flawed comparison.
When you pay $60 to play a game, and that's what it looks like for the entirety of your playtime, then yes, those are the real textures.

Square made the choice to go with Unreal engine and release it in that state.

TheAssist

Because it's made on Unreal Engine which is scalable.

Also, if they can't complete this game by 2022 Square is trolling....

And I will play when I want to play... Probably on my pc... With a shit ton of mods. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

scalable doesnt mean you dont have to put a lot of work into it. infact you have to put A LOT of work into it.

vpance

A few times I noticed big delay when I went to talk to some NPC. I think it was loading the audio for his voice line, lol. It’s probably some combination of SE programming incompetence and Unreal streaming bugs.

Last edited:

Aion002

scalable doesnt mean you dont have to put a lot of work into it. infact you have to put A LOT of work into it.
Well... That work won't be for free... After all, the PS4 will have a bigger base and the lower minimum requirements on pc will also net more sales.

TheAssist

Well... That work won't be for free... After all, the PS4 will have a bigger base and the lower minimum requirements on pc will also net more sales.

That only counts of the game comes out 2021 or early 2022. In 2023 (which I think is realistic) that wont matter.

Aion002

That only counts of the game comes out 2021 or early 2022. In 2023 (which I think is realistic) that wont matter.
3 volumes, one per year.

That's what I imagine.

Sure, if S-E can't delivery, I agree with you... But in my honest opinion, they have to be really incompetent to not at least try.

S-E is a big studio, with Sony involved in FFVII, I think that they are able to... If they aren't... Well, it will be really shitty to take so much time to complete the remake....

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Just have to wait for the next gen version then.
Maybe on Xbox if available. (Pretty sure it will be )

But if FFVIIR released on Xbox one/X/series X , I don’t think square could sell a PS5 version without giving a free upgrade for the PS4 owners.

Esppiral

Nos that I took a closer look atención those "texturas" They dos nota look higher res than the ones ingame, specially the ones that are ammped todo a sphere,...

TheAssist

3 volumes, one per year.

That's what I imagine.

Sure, if S-E can't delivery, I agree with you... But in my honest opinion, they have to be really incompetent to not at least try.

S-E is a big studio, with Sony involved in FFVII, I think that they are able to... If they aren't... Well, it will be really shitty to take so much time to complete the remake....

Ahw hell no, they dont make one game per year :D. They dont even have several studios working on it like CoD or AC. I think 3 years is an optimistic guess for the release of part 2. Depending on how much they will cover in the second game. They still dont know themselves. I'd rather wait longer for bigger games. I dont want this to be Assassins Creed Cosmo Canyon. More time usually means bigger changes in tech, gameplay and overall look and feel. One game during the early middle and one in the late phase of the generation would be fine by me.

3 volumes, one per year.

That's what I imagine.

I really hope so.
I read somewhere that the second Episode/Volume whatever will release at 2023. They gotta be kidding with that.

I've upgrade my ps4 pro with an ssd because of those texture issues and the loading times.
It helped a lot with the loading times however I still have those unloaded door textures.
I'll try to recreate the database once more later and going to test it. However I don't think its going to help.

Aion002

I really hope so.
I read somewhere that the second Episode/Volume whatever will release at 2023. They gotta be kidding with that.

I've upgrade my ps4 pro with an ssd because of those texture issues and the loading times.
It helped a lot with the loading times however I still have those unloaded door textures.
I'll try to recreate the database once more later and going to test it. However I don't think its going to help.
That is rough.

They really should fix that.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
That's why Epic showcased UE5 on PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Either way, I'm game for another run of the game on PS5. Just hope they don't try to resell the game as a new version specially for PS5.

The PS4 version must be automatically enhanced.

Kev Kev

If only there was a way to stream data into RAM faster.
source.gif

Zambatoh

So the ps4 is now a piece of junk????
I don't think anyone was saying that in this thread. But to answer your question, I'm gonna say...yes. Since Day 0 even.
I remember being surprised to see Hitman Season 1 take over a minute to load on PS4, whereas the PC version can load a map in 10 seconds, tops. This has been true for most games throughout the generation.
And a big source of the problem comes from the PS4's GPU needing to read data directly from the System RAM which, in itself, is dependent on the HDD's reading speed. On PC, a game will usually load all major assets into RAM, so that the GPU can simply pick and choose the data it needs directly from the RAM and copies it to it's own RAM chip as opposed to a Hard Drive.
The PC's method is a bit more complicated in it's approach, but it works.
Next gen consoles are attempting to fix this problem by using a newer SSD standard, so it probably won't be an issue anymore since they are essentially 100% Solid State in their design.

TL; DR version
PC: Has 2 pools of RAM for different purposes. Not reliant on HDD read speed.
PS4: Only 1 pool of RAM, So GPU is reliant on HDD's read speed.

Last edited:
Considering how incompetent square are and how they’ve come out and said about smaller parts - I’ve come to the conclusion that we will get 4 more games which take 3 years each to make.
But seriously fuck them, they could have made a faithful remake with updates graphics and the new battle system all in one game. Too many people have been sold And believe incompetent squares lies that the game is just too big for one game.

maybe cut out the excessive padding and pointless fetch quests for a start.

Last edited:
Considering how incompetent square are and how they’ve come out and said about smaller parts - I’ve come to the conclusion that we will get 4 more games which take 3 years each to make.
But seriously fuck them, they could have made a faithful remake with updates graphics and the new battle system all in one game. Too many people have been sold And believe incompetent squares lies that the game is just too big for one game.

maybe cut out the excessive padding and pointless fetch quests for a start.

Harsh much? What has Square ever done to you? When you compare them to what western companies do, how can you act so critical of them? You act like they killed your mother! Look at what Bethesda just did with Doom Eternal, installing denuvo spyware on your computer. Look at what Blizzard is doing to beloved ips and turning them into mobile trash or downright breaking their games. Look at Naughty Dog pushing their woke agenda upon their games while striking down any criticism against them. The list goes on, so when I say companies do deserve their share amount of criticism, Square is nowhere near that bad on a moral standpoint. Perhaps the only one blind or sold on lies here is you.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Days gone is a ue4 full fledged open world game and shats on ff7 remake from great hights...even with all the pop in.

Next time maybe do some betatesting for your game before launching it in this hysterical state...

Last edited:

Kumomeme

other ue4 game like gears and jedi fallen order also had similliar issue if i not mistaken..even days gone at beginning also had, if i not mistaken..some textures just take time to load..most of issue solved after patch though...viir situation however probably the worst

GymWolf

Gold Member
Except Days Gone is a shats game while FF7 Remake isn't.
I played both and this is patently false.

But yeah if you like 5 hours of game terribly bloated into 40h shittly paced with shit tier sidequest, mediocre hybrid combat, the most uneven graphics ever and the fact that they rape the original plot to insert kingdom hearts nomura shit tier stuff than yes, ff7 remake js the greatest game ever :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

But yeah if you like 5 hours of game terribly bloated into 40h shittly paced with shit tier sidequest, mediocre hybrid combat, the most uneven graphics ever and the fact that they rape the original plot to insert kingdom hearts nomura shit tier stuff than yes, ff7 remake js the greatest game ever :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry but I'm not sorry to disagree with your shat taste in games :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sorry but I'm not sorry to disagree with your shat taste in games :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:
Imagine the fucks that i give if you disagree or not with me, also we were talking about graphics, how insecure are you to steer from the point of discussion just because that thing is getting massacrated because of his ps2 era textures?! :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

After the unfinished mess that was ff15 at launch, square strikes again with another unfinished product, but yeah at least people who is not gonna pay full price for the game like i did maybe is gonna have the textures fixed in a couple of months, hip hip hurrah for square:messenger_clapping:

I don't think anyone was saying that in this thread. But to answer your question, I'm gonna say...yes. Since Day 0 even.
I remember being surprised to see Hitman Season 1 take over a minute to load on PS4, whereas the PC version can load a map in 10 seconds, tops. This has been true for most games throughout the generation.
And a big source of the problem comes from the PS4's GPU needing to read data directly from the System RAM which, in itself, is dependent on the HDD's reading speed. On PC, a game will usually load all major assets into RAM, so that the GPU can simply pick and choose the data it needs directly from the RAM and copies it to it's own RAM chip as opposed to a Hard Drive.
The PC's method is a bit more complicated in it's approach, but it works.
Next gen consoles are attempting to fix this problem by using a newer SSD standard, so it probably won't be an issue anymore since they are essentially 100% Solid State in their design.

TL; DR version
PC: Has 2 pools of RAM for different purposes. Not reliant on HDD read speed.
PS4: Only 1 pool of RAM, So GPU is reliant on HDD's read speed.

Good point, I agree! :messenger_clapping:

martino

Credit to Cain Alexander for datamining this.

"Can confirm the textures in FF7R are VERY HD, but Unreal just fucked us all by never properly loading because "lol PS4" I guess. HD versions of this on mega because Imgur won't let me upload because they're too large lol"

So I think it's safe to assume that the PS5 version will have the textures in their amazing glory.

That logic..It's the frist UE game i see not loading at all lot of textures 100% of the time.
Imo the problem is more how SE use of the engine and how they do QA.
I highly doubt ps5/pc will avoid the problem without fixit it.
this is can and should be fixed on ps4.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned

I enjoyed the last 10 hours of the game (from Shinra building and onwards),and given that i expected that they would change major parts of the plot (which was apparent even from the demo) i didn't have any problems with the ending.I actually find it very hypocritical of those old "fans" who suppossedly liked the previous parts of the game which SE also changed (or added pointless filler) to pretend that they were angry about the ending (i'm not talking about you GymWolf).
But yeah this game had much more serious problems than its inconsistent textures. And those problems were definitely not Unreal engine "bugs".

Kev Kev

ok this has been bothering since i saw this topic. im not trying to pick a fight or rustle any jimmies so dont get worked up. and im dumb when it comes to engines, development and textures and all that so just hear me out...

SE developed this game for unreal engine 4 correct? so they knew what it was going to be able to do and not do, right? so, and maybe im hearing this wrong, but are we trying to give them a pass for the shitty textures in their game that they developed and had to have known about?

i mean, they knew what it could and coudlnt do, whether it was before they developed, as they were developing it it or after they made it and tested it... but they went through with developing it and releasing it like this anyway. so who cares if the engine couldnt do it, they were the ones who made the game for that engine and ultimately are responsible for it looking like that, right?

ok nobody FLIP OUT MAN! im just trying to understand the situation, im not saying the "game sux breh" or SE is garbage or anything. just looking for clarification. thank you, namaste 🙏

Grinchy

Banned
There are cutscenes of Aerith 2 inches away from flowers that she's interacting with that look like low-poly colored shapes that never had a texture applied like they were from a N64 game or something.

And this game has never had a patch, so I guess it's perfect!

Last edited:
Top Bottom