• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7's crappy textures confirmed to be an Unreal Engine bug. Game has terrific textures.

WTF?
82204DC1-4018-40F9-BC45-52C48FEEF965.jpg

lmfao can't stop laughing

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nope.

The foundation is made. See RE3R or games like Assassins Creed (used to be one per year) and Yakuza.

Once you get the base game, everything can go way faster.
Assassins Creed games were made by 5 or 10 teams working across the globe 24 hours a day. It was a massive project. Yakuza games all take place in the same area and let’s be honest, are basically the same game.

FF7R is doing neither of those things, and the devs seem to be not on the same page for what to do next.

Prepare to wait a long time.

Aion002

Assassins Creed games were made by 5 or 10 teams working across the globe 24 hours a day. It was a massive project. Yakuza games all take place in the same area and let’s be honest, are basically the same game.

FF7R is doing neither of those things, and the devs seem to be not on the same page for what to do next.

Prepare to wait a long time.
Probably.

That's why I didn't bought it yet.

I believe that if you plan to divide a single game in small parts, you should at least have a schedule and you must communicate that with the consumers... If you can't... Well, there is something quite wrong going on.

S-E for me means almost the same as incompetence. Compare a huge company like S-E, that's been around since ever, with many more employees compared to a company like CD Projeckt... One released one of the best games of the generation (The Witcher 3) and is ready to shake the industry with another huge one (Cyberpunk), while the other can't correctly remake a freaking ps1 game...

It is incredible that in this generations From Software, Bamco and Capcom released a lot quality titles, while the best game S-E released was made by Platinum....

That is rough.

They really should fix that.

BTW. updating my ps4 pro with a brandnew ssd and rebuilding the database afterwards didn't help either.
At this point I don't think anyone has even seen this door and flowers at full Textureresolution yet.
Otherwise this seems to be more then an engine bug.

Then again anyone in this thread that played the game and didn't have these texture issues? Or anyone here that actually has the disc version of it?
Maybe they build this game around streaming from hdd and disc which dosn't work out in some cases when you only use hdd or an ssd? (the engine not using the full harddrivespeed for textureloading)

Last edited:

Sign

Were Kingdom Hearts 3 textures as inconsistent as FFVIIR's?
KH3 had fewer individual textures in any particular area if memory serves. Looking at some screenshots, it is not amazing and I don't remember it being amazing. Doesn't help that the resolution is lower. Having played KH3, DQ11, and FF7R I feel like 7R is the better looking of the 3. The highs of 7 graphically are higher than anything the other games offered.

sublimit

Banned
KH3 had fewer individual textures in any particular area if memory serves. Looking at some screenshots, it is not amazing and I don't remember it being amazing. Doesn't help that the resolution is lower. Having played KH3, DQ11, and FF7R I feel like 7R is the better looking of the 3. The highs of 7 graphically are higher than anything the other games offered.
Eh DQXI had a very different art style so i don't think we can compare it with the other two. KH3 also has a different art style but i was thinking about the Jack Sparrow world which looked more realistic than the others.

PS5 assets already in the game. Won't need a huge patch when next-gen releases, simply a small one to activate the preset.

If not then I hope Squenix will fix this with a patch.

Dibils2k

i am pretty sure they were deliberately downgraded

cause if it was just a bug, you would think the Dev team would have done something about it... not like its not obvious

Zambatoh

Is there something I need to clarify? On PC, Once a game's assets are loaded into the RAM, the HDD's read speed becomes irrelevant. On console, this becomes a problem because of how little memory is available to developers. So they have to stream off the HDD, which is simply a bad idea in general.
At least on PS3, you could stream from the Disk and HDD at the same time, but this feature was heavily altered to support background installs on the PS4.

BTW. updating my ps4 pro with a brandnew ssd and rebuilding the database afterwards didn't help either.
At this point I don't think anyone has even seen this door and flowers at full Textureresolution yet.
Otherwise this seems to be more then an engine bug.

Then again anyone in this thread that played the game and didn't have these texture issues? Or anyone here that actually has the disc version of it?
Maybe they build this game around streaming from hdd and disc which dosn't work out in some cases when you only use hdd or an ssd? (the engine not using the full harddrivespeed for textureloading)
Unfortunately, switching to an SSD only has an impact on load times for the PS4. You still have to contend with the fact that there isn't enough memory to load everything. And that the game was mostly certainly NOT designed with an SSD in mind.

Unfortunately, switching to an SSD only has an impact on load times for the PS4. You still have to contend with the fact that there isn't enough memory to load everything. And that the game was mostly certainly NOT designed with an SSD in mind.

First off, I knew it would help with load times and it does so very much.
Second - I know you won't have more ram due to updating to an ssd, however I was thinking maybe my hdd was worn out/degrading and not loading fast enough so the game would eventually drop the task to load the high res textures at some point.
I got the idea mainly because some people on this forum said they haven't had any texture issues with the game which confused me.
However there are still some other possibilities like degrading ram/chips inside the console, small differences in PS4 models that might have en effect and so on.
And as stated theres also this trick to increase bandwith you could use HDD and the DISC drive simultanously in certain games. ( has been done with gta4 and rdr2 afaik )

But then again maybe those that stated they haven't had any texture issues didn't pay attention to it and its just buggy for everyone.

Last edited:

Skyfox

I have 7R on pro and it seems half the background textures dont load in properly. Signs, walls etc.

So annoying I couldn't buy it on my One X.

Shame.

TheAssist

There are cutscenes of Aerith 2 inches away from flowers that she's interacting with that look like low-poly colored shapes that never had a texture applied like they were from a N64 game or something.

And this game has never had a patch, so I guess it's perfect!

Its symbolizing the fact that she cant hear the planet talk to her through the flowers at that point in time. When she gets out of midgar she will be able to hear the planet more clearly. Just you wait for the flower textures in the temple of the ancients. 16K Ultra high Res. They'll actually just deliver the flowers directly to your home when you reach that point and the delivery guy whispers to you
"ya gotta die m8"

Sometimes I fell like people have never played the original at all.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
are we trying to give them a pass for the shitty textures in their game that they developed and had to have known about?
i don't know what "give them a pass" means tbh. i see that phrase all the time. usually it is someone complaining about something that a lot of other people are complaining about. it seems like "give them a pass" means "someone disagrees with the dogpile". i always see that phrase when it's like a dozen people all complaining and one person dares to say, "eh, it's no big deal".

what is "giving them a pass"? i mean we have people in here complaining who still bought the game anyways. i bought the game, and im not complaining. does that make me a problem? what is the actual difference between approaches, past me not participating in the "woe is me, the spurned gamer" flagellation? do i need to align my opinion with others in order to not be singled out? lol i could care less what other people think.

so ill be that person. i don't know. not every texture in the game is HD. i don't really care. i don't really care that a sidequest NPC doesn't sync lips 1:1 with the dialog. they put their focus in the main cutscenes for the main story, which is where it needed to be. im glad they did that. the combat is awesome. the level design looks nice. the game looks amazing to me for well over 80% of the playtime.

would be nice if they could fix this bug. but im not gnashing my teeth over it.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

i don't know what "give them a pass" means tbh.

in this situation, "give them a pass" would mean we are letting square enix completely off the hook for the bad textures and that its not their fault at all, only the fault of UE4. which i think is bizarre, bc SE made the game using UE4 engine. the UE4 engine didnt make the game by itself, SE are the ones who chose this engine and released this game as is. therefore, i dont think we should give them a pass

unless there is something im missing here bc i know nothing about game development or engines or any of that. which goes back to everything i said in my first post

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this will never be fixed lol
The game is selling just fine with this weird bug. Does Square have enough incentive to go in and try to fix this bug? I don't understand Square sometimes, but it would be nice. But then again, a bug like that must be so HARD to find. Imagine looking through all that code to figure out why certain textures are bugged like that... I can't even image.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Unfortunate that this had to happen for the first release, but at least we know the textures are in there, and PS5 is right around the corner.

Tbh, kind of an argument against temporary exclusivity, for gamers. Had this been a PC game, or possibly an Xbox One X game, players wouldn’t be forced to take an L until this fall.

But it’s not a big deal. The game is joyous, and wonderful looking as is.

Arthimura

Already got the platinum trophy for Final Fantasy VII Remake and had a great time. Other people are free to complain about textures and wait for the game to release on another platforms.

If they release an enhanced version of the game i can think about playing it again, but the graphics are already great in the PS4 and i doubt they would add new content, since there's a lot of work to do with the new episodes, no reason to keep working on the first episode.

Last edited:
Amateurish post incoming !

I was curious and downloaded those HDRI maps and made a couple of tests... and I'm quite convinced that they are waaaaaaaaay too small.
I made some tests with "T_Backcloth_Top_7thPillar_SE.hdr".
This is a massive image, a resolution of 4096x4096 pixels, 32 bits, and weighs 64MB.
Here it is at 25% - 1024x1024 pixels, 8 bits, 1.22MB :

dA7PbA5.jpg

And here are a few close-ups, so you can see the details at 100% (still kinda ruined, as I had to jpeg it):

ATiR90L.jpg

So yeah, the details are there. But is it enough ?

Those HDRI maps are applied on a gigantic bubble dome that surrounds the entire environnement, and they serve two purposes :
• they provide the entire lighting for the scene and are reflected on surfaces like mirrors, water, glass, etc... ;
• and they can also be used as backgrounds.

I made two test renders.
One with the default "dome" scale, and one at 50%.

Aok6daO.jpg

mF69V5k.jpg

The second-one being a little bit more zoomed-out, it results in a less pixelated image... but it also means that everything warps a bit now - the more I "zoom out", the more fish-eyed it gets.
And I'm tempted to say that the game uses the "default" dome setting that I used in my first render. Which is more or less how it looks ingame.

So my amateurish conclusion would be that a 4096x4096 file is good enough to lighten the scene and provide the realistic magic, but probably way too small to be used as a complete texture that builds the entire background. A document I read suggested an ideal size of 14000x7000, and that would be a gigantic 1GB file. Sooooo...

Just my two cents on this. And again, I'm just an amateur with amateurish knowledge using amateurish tools to do amateurish stuff... but I'd love to be proven wrong here, as it would be a really interesting learning opportunity and help me improve ! :3 So, someone here to teach us more ? Is there some Unreal Engine/render engine trickery that could improve this ? Or are those HDRI maps simply too small ?

Stuart360

It can happen on some PC UE4 games, yes even with an SSD. The difference being the textures will load in pretty quickly, whearas they dont here.

LordKasual

Banned
Post the whole thread:

It's not just the skyboxes. He shows other common textures too, the issue is widespread.

It's probably an LOD thing but perhaps there was no time / satisfactory way to load everything without vicious pop-in because of limited memory and streaming issues? Or they just didn't get adequate time to tweak it.

But it's reassuring. SE's silence on the issue lead me to believe it was released this way on purpose, which was depressing.

Seeing that the textures are there but just not showing in the majority of places is reassuring.

Also, infamous door:

qkRREs4.png

Pre-release

C93bUDE.png

Infamous door.jpg from Final Game.

This issue is rampant throughout the game and where/what it happens on is extremely variable.

Dp0JJhh.png

Blended ground textures in Sector 7 not loading correctly

ckNbWfq.png

The same texture blending, done correctly.

I wonder if this even can be fixed, or if this game just overreaches this console generation.

We'll either have to wait for next generation or the current gen Xbox release to see what this game really was supposed to look like.

But it's absolutely not the artists that shat the bed here. This game's high points are so high they're mindblowing to see on console, but its low points are just.....???????

Because god damn, going from the beginning of the game, to the texture mush slums, to Shinra HQ is THE wildest quality ride i've ever seen in a videogame

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder if this even can be fixed, or if this game just overreaches this console generation.
Probably a bit of both. If I had to pull a guess out of my ass, I'd suspect that they prioritized getting the game running at a stable 30fps on Vanilla PS4 first and foremost. The performance they can squeeze out of that old ass machine is impressive.

IIRC, even a PS4 Pro with an SSD has these texture issues too, so that might mean there's some other non-hardware related issues going on as well. I find it hard to believe that they left so much performance on the table with the PS4 Pro. Hopefully they have time to address that.

TheAssist

FINALLY. I know know that door is supposed to look like.

Also, do you think in 20 years, some people will have that weird nostalgia fetish were they seek out the original release on PS4 and say this is how the game was meant to be played back in the day?. Not with all those texture mods and what not. Just like now, people dont want to play the original with AI upscaled backgrounds because its simply too high res and the game doesnt look and feel like back in their childhood. And I'm totally saying that because I think og FF7 looks weird as fuck with those higher res textures.

LordKasual

Banned
FINALLY. I know know that door is supposed to look like.

Also, do you think in 20 years, some people will have that weird nostalgia fetish were they seek out the original release on PS4 and say this is how the game was meant to be played back in the day?. Not with all those texture mods and what not. Just like now, people dont want to play the original with AI upscaled backgrounds because its simply too high res and the game doesnt look and feel like back in their childhood. And I'm totally saying that because I think og FF7 looks weird as fuck with those higher res textures.

No, because it's obvious that there's an issue.

Funnily enough, i actually feel that way about Final Fantasy XV and its last 2 chapters.

Nope.

The foundation is made. See RE3R or games like Assassins Creed (used to be one per year) and Yakuza.

Once you get the base game, everything can go way faster.
Your examples are poor. RE3R was in development for several years, same thing with the Assassin's Creed series, and they have multiple teams working on them to ensure their mostly annual release schedule - Square also has multiple teams, but they're focused on different games rather than lumping them all into single projects. Yakuza is heavily reliant on asset reuse, with Kamurocho being mostly the same across Yakuza 3/4/5/0/Kiwami.

Aion002

Your examples are poor. RE3R was in development for several years, same thing with the Assassin's Creed series, and they have multiple teams working on them to ensure their mostly annual release schedule - Square also has multiple teams, but they're focused on different games rather than lumping them all into single projects. Yakuza is heavily reliant on asset reuse, with Kamurocho being mostly the same across Yakuza 3/4/5/0/Kiwami.
Well... You are right.... But... Thinking about it.... S-E is really unique, I don't think there is another studio so disorganized and big as S-E.

They took so many years to make poorly made games like Kingdom Hearts 3, FFXV and also making a huge pile of trash like Left Alive .... It's really hard to think about another studio that fit the S-E situation.

Anyways.... What I want to say is that they... kinda suck and I hope that they can be better from now on.

Last edited:
Well... You are right.... But... Thinking about it.... S-E is really unique, I don't think there is another studio so disorganized and big as S-E.

They took so many years to make poorly made games like Kingdom Hearts 3, FFXV and also making a huge pile of trash like Left Alive .... It's really hard to think about another studio that fit the S-E situation.

Anyways.... What I want to say is that they... kinda suck and I hope that they can be better from now on.
Left Alive wasn't made by Square Enix, they outsourced it. KH3 and FFXV are adequately made games, the reason they're considered disappointments by many people is because of the many long years of expectations, which they didn't live up to, but removed from that circumstance, they're fine enough, but do have issues.

There are open world games on PS4 that have much better textures than FFVIIR's corridor world.This is not representative of the PS4's capabilities.

How are they blaming the engine? Days gone looks way better and it's open world and has a lot more characters on screen at once, the pop in is pretty minimal. I think it's more to do with Square releasing a game before the devs had time to fix the problems.

Aion002

Left Alive wasn't made by Square Enix, they outsourced it. KH3 and FFXV are adequately made games, the reason they're considered disappointments by many people is because of the many long years of expectations, which they didn't live up to, but removed from that circumstance, they're fine enough, but do have issues.
I disagree. FFXV is an abomination of game.

Missing gameplay segments, bad gameplay, technical issues and huge plot holes. An overall incomplete game.

Kingdom Hears 3 what I played so far had issues.... (my backlog.... hurts)

And Left Alive is a S-E IP, it doesn't matter who made. It was under S-E orders and they choose to release that garbage, the same thing with the even worse game.... The Quiet Man.

sublimit

Banned
How are they blaming the engine? Days gone looks way better and it's open world and has a lot more characters on screen at once, the pop in is pretty minimal. I think it's more to do with Square releasing a game before the devs had time to fix the problems.
It's in the links in the OP:
Unreal just fucked us all by never properly loading because "lol PS4" I guess.
Also my second post was towards this cute post:
PC will save us from this console blasphemy

Last edited:
Top Bottom