• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest Fortune Street PS4/PSV Announced

zulux21

xbCSX65.png

Update 9/24
New overview trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhmDsf6dZk

They show a LOT of new maps. I spotted

Rendarak from DQ2 (PS2)
Ancient Library from FFV (PSP)
Ghost Ship from DQ3 (Wii)
Seabed Shrine from DQ6 (PS2)

and a whole bunch of crazy looking brand new ones!

They also had not one but TWO stage shows from TGS

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLr9JQJAauM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQd_jpnPCVg

What I picked up from watching both of these

-Sylvia from DQXI is playable and voiced by Masaya Onosaka
-There's a new stage from DQXI as well. The layout is the same as Dharma Temple/Alltrades Abbey from the PSP game except with a new twist that shuffles spaces around.
-They quickly show off a new version of the Slimenia board from the Wii game.
-They're making a spiffy wired PS4 controller that looks like a slime.
-They mentioned many maps being made available as DLC I think I spotted Tantagel DQ1/PSP) and I THINK Yggdrasil (DQ4/PS2) listed. They also say "AND MORE" which makes me think there's more than stages being worked on. (Sphere mode, pretty please?)

Update 9/6
Gameplay overview by Healie (Healix?). Strangely switches between two versions of the Trodain map. The original, and a slightly bigger version with more squares on the board.

And S-E's page recently did a live playthrough of the game earlier. Interestingly, Youtube acually identifies the game as "Fortune Street"

Update 8/28
So they showed three character trailers. One's for already confirmed Maribel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4BcrZi99mE

But they showed two new FF Villains

Golbez

and

Gilgamesh

S-E's Youtube page says they're doing a special Livestream on September 6th.

Update 8/17
some new character trailers

Terry
cloud
Sephiroth
squall

source

Update 8/06
Release Date Oct 19th
Release Date is October 19th

A couple new characters (yes I'm ashamed I have no idea who these are)

uXwBjs7.jpg

dL4QiMx.jpg

And a new stage from Dragon Quest X

PupFvTz.jpg

Source:
http://gamestalk.net/post-83412/

Update 4/09
Small website update

There's a character page now
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/itastDQFF30th/characters/index.html

They've also added a couple screens about the museum mode. Looks like you can toggle commentary from various characters.

Update 3/27 cross-play between PlayStation 4 and PS Vita players confirmed
Up to four players will be able to play together in local and online multiplayer.

Source with new screens

UPDATE 3/23 Eight new characters have been announced for the game
In the Dragon Quest side of things we have:

Erinn* (CV: Megumi Han) – Dragon Quest IX
Carver (CV: Hiroki Yasumoto) – Dragon Quest VII
Jessica Albert (CV: Ayana Taketatsu) – Dragon Quest VIII
Angelo (CV: Yoshimasa Hosoya
Next up, on the Final Fantasy side we have:

Minfilia Warde* (CV: Miyuki Sawashiro) – Final Fantasy XIV
Balther (CV: Hiroaki Hirata) – Final Fantasy XII
Squall (CV: Hideo Ishikawa) – Final Fantasy VIII
Lightning* (CV: Maaya Sakamoto) – Final Fantasy XIII
*Series debut
The source is a site via jump scans thus I can't link them since we don't allow scans on this site.

Sooo, on a whim, I thought I'd check out the website (link in the OP) to see if it's been updated, and it has! Has a lot of screens shown in the magazines. Even got a couple of neat confirmations.

The Phantom Train (FFVI) and The Invincible (FFIX) boards from the PSP game are back!

As well as Mt. Magmageddon (DQV) from the Wii game!

Nothing else really revealing, but the game is looking great!

UPDATE 2/9:
There's a new article on the game in Jump. Won't link because scans, but it confirms a few characters (Alena, Kiryl, Maribel, Terry, Zidane, and FFX Yuna) and a Museum mode where you can unlock "scenes" from various games.

UPDATE 1/31: Noctis confirmed for itadaki street.
also new trailer (thanks LordOfLore)

Original Post: square announced that a new Final Fantasy and dragon quest itdaki street special is coming to ps4/psv in 2017, more details will be announced at a later time.

mostly created this since other people seem to not care :p

for those who don't know the series was localized as fortune street in NA and boom street in EU for the wii. while it had some improvements to the ps2 FF/DQ one it also was missing a number of features, so ideally those features such as sphere mode will be back for the new version.

The game is a lot like japanese monopoly where instead of just going around the board you can take multiple paths and have to collect 4 suits in order to be able to pass go. you can also freely invest in buildings where the number you own changes the cap you can invest, and can buy stocks that raise as buildings build up.

if you are interested in learning more I will respond later, but I am hoping to get eyes on it to help increase the chances this gets localized, I already contacted square enix support (pointlessly I know but I still did it :p)

zulux21

Nice, I love these games.

As do I. I have put like 400 hours into the ps2 version (currently play it online with a friend from college once a week lol)

I am really happy to see the DQ/FF version back since the wii version stripped out sphere mode which really was an interesting alternate version for costumes.

here's hoping the new one has full online play with all characters instead forcing an avatar (mii for the wii) to use.

but really here's hoping it gets released in english. not holding my breath since fortune street couldn't have sold a ton, but at the same time, it also can't cost a ton of money to localize the games since there isn't a ton of text to them.

Itadaki Street is fantastic. Always wanted to play the FF x DQ one, I'll try to get this if I can
Both the ps2 version and psp versions got fan translations (ps2 is more barebones but had the sphere mode while I don't think the psp version has that but it does have a better translation)
I really hope this gets localized. I love the Dragon Quest x Mario one on the Wii.

and that one was gimped in many ways to the ffxdq one. it lost the tracker on top to show how close to finish, it lost multiple minigames, alternate play mode.

pluses it had though
that when you level you can go out.
and having characters have set colors.

wrowa

The best game to ruin friendships and relationships. Would love to see a western release, but I'm not very hopeful.

zulux21

The best game to ruin friendships and relationships. Would love to see a western release, but I'm not very hopeful.

nah Dokapon Kingdom beats out this for ruining friendships.

heck that game's tag line was the friendship destroying game :p

really my friend and I ended up just taking turns playing and plot together against the computer. still do via streaming most weeks right now :p

I've been waiting for years for another DQ/FF crossover Itadaki Street as I loved the PS2 and PSP entries. Definitely getting this.

MANUELF

Banned
Dont think it will be localized, Fortune Street bombed a spectacular way, I LOVED it though, beat the story mode as both a girl and a boy to get all the costumes

Camjo-Z

This had better get localized, Fortune Street is one of the few board games I can actually get anyone to play with me.

A fun fact about this series is that Vaan and Ashe debuted in Itadaki Street Special a full two years before the release of Final Fantasy XII.

raw

YESSSSSSSSSS!
AHHHHHHHHHH!
PLEASE BE LOCALIZED!!!!

Sorry I'm super hyped. I LOVE the Fortune/Itadaki Street games. It's the ONE game I can play with my WHOLE family on equal footing. It's become a family tradition of sorts to play a couple rounds of the Wii game when I visit them in New Zealand.

So will this be a NEW game or is it just a quick port of the PS2/PSP games? I wouldn't mind either as long as it's brought here.

Big Nikus

I really hope it gets an english release.
I played the Itadaki DQxFF on PS2 for a bit with an english patch but playing on the PS2 wasn't really convenient for me anymore. A PS4/Vita entry with online play sounds great, I'd play that a freaking lot.

ahhhhh yes~

we've been due for a new itadaki street for a while now, about time it showed up! never checked out the smartphone version though, no idea if i was missing out...

ahhhhh yes~

we've been due for a new itadaki street for a while now, about time it showed up! never checked out the smartphone version though, no idea if i was missing out...

I wanted to, but I don't have an iPhone. Very strange they never ported it to iPad or Android. There was also another game that was for Japanese smartphones only (not Android or iOS) too. I played the PSP version and thought it was fun, never tried the PS2 version, mostly waiting on that one Fan Translation that's aiming to be more thorough.

zulux21

Dont think it will be localized, Fortune Street bombed a spectacular way, I LOVED it though, beat the story mode as both a girl and a boy to get all the costumes

Fortune street did not do amazing, that is a given, however it also likely didn't need great numbers to be worth the localization. The game isn't some long deep rpg with a ton of text to translate. It just had map names, character names, chance encounters, some character banter ect to translate of which a decent chunk could even possibly be reused as a lot of the chance encounters will likely remain the same.

so while it didn't do well, it might have done well enough, especially with a new DQ and final fantasy game coming out, they might give it another shot.

I am really hoping that it gets localized, but if it doesn't, well you just have to learn menu layout, and then memorize chance cards of which the effect goes off after you pick one at random so even if you don't understand what the effect is it isn't like it makes a huge difference aside from picking a player to give or take things from.

I wanted to, but I don't have an iPhone. Very strange they never ported it to iPad or Android. There was also another game that was for Japanese smartphones only (not Android or iOS) too. I played the PSP version and thought it was fun, never tried the PS2 version, mostly waiting on that one Fan Translation that's aiming to be more thorough.

ooh a new translation for the ps2 version would be great, though the current one still does the job.

I hope they localise it too. I mean, if something as niche as DQ Builders can get it.

tp be fair minecraft is still decently popular, and hasn't had an unsuccessful release already, but I am hoping square does indeed just give it another show since it's now final fantasy instead of mario.

thanks for these, added to the op.
and yes it's a new game, but at the same time it wouldn't be surprising if they reused a number of maps and other things from the ps2/psp games :p

zulux21

I remember the Giant Bomb guys played one a few years ago. It looked really fun.
it's tons of fun as long as you don't mind a longer match like this.
If it has Final Fantasy in the title then we have a chance.
it didn't help in the past, more given how many DQ titles they have done recently maybe we will have a chance because that is in the title with FF.
Wonder if we will get this one.
unlikely but I can hope, and keep on trying to get people interested. If enough people say they want it, odds will increase.
The PS2 Fortune Street was the only game that my parents liked to play with me.

never tried with my parents, but since it is similar enough to monopoly I got my aunt to play it.

Daouzin

This needs to come out here. I really loved the Wii Version, doesn't seem like very many people played it though.

I am not kidding when I say my parents are obsessed with Fortune Street on Wii. They used to be big Mario Party players, but once that series went to shit, I introduced them to Fortune Street when it came out in the US. Now...it's literally like a weekly thing for them. Sometimes multiple times a week.

zulux21

As an FF and DQ fan can someone explain this series?

Quick run down.

It's a board game that plays similar to monopoly.

your goal is to collect property and rise to the top by collecting rent from people.

now... instead of just going around the board you have to collect 4 suits and go to the bank to effectively pass go.
and instead of the board just being a square it can come in many shapes.
and instead of needing to own all the properties to buy houses, you can just invest in the properties building them up.
owning more of the same color how ever will increase the invest cap on a given property.

so beyond that, they also added stocks to the game. Stocks go up in value as an area goes up in value. You can buy up to 99 of a single area's stock as you pass go. the more you have obviously the more your value will go up as an area is built up.

beyond making a way for you to get even more money for investing in an area aside from people paying more rent, it also works as a counter measure. You can for example end up buying up a lot of stock in someone else's area, so when they go to build that area up you are actually making money faster than they are. I actually lost a game once where the computer only had 1 property the entire game, and ended up just perfectly riding all the other players to the top lol.

If the new game is a true sequel to the ps2 game we should have sphere mode back, but that really is a whole different beast and doesn't need to be gone into.

if you would like to know more about something just ask, I can go into more detail :p

This needs to come out here. I really loved the Wii Version, doesn't seem like very many people played it though.

Every single one of my friends has played it.
sadly I am the only one that owns a copy despite a bunch of them liking it though :(

Just realized, while I know characters are purely aesthetic in these games and don't really matter. The original PS2 and PSP ISS games came out BEFORE Dissidia when S-E was still in that weird phase of not acknowledging FF characters before VII. Now thanks to Dissidia, Theatrhythm, and now World of FF, it seems they've gotten over that and hopefully add more Pre-FFVII characters here. It was really bizarre to have maps in ISS Portable based on FFIII, V, and VI and have NO characters from those games.

Also, OP, what contact did you use to contact S-E? Thought I'd drop them a line myself to show interest in the title, futile as it might be.

zulux21

Just realized, while I know characters are purely aesthetic in these games and don't really matter. The original PS2 and PSP ISS games came out BEFORE Dissidia when S-E was still in that weird phase of not acknowledging FF characters before VII. Now thanks to Dissidia, Theatrhythm, and now World of FF, it seems they've gotten over that and hopefully add more Pre-FFVII characters here. It was really bizarre to have maps in ISS Portable based on FFIII, V, and VI and have NO characters from those games.

Also, OP, what contact did you use to contact S-E? Thought I'd drop them a line myself to show interest in the title, futile as it might be.

Actually in the ps2 version of the game in sphere mode the characters matter a little as they determine job type (though after clearing a tourney you master them and can use any job with them)

I contacted square enix through their customer support page on their site, have not gotten a response yet. Will likely try facebook or twitter next :p

I totally thought this was some random Nintendo franchise because of the Wii version a few years back. I remember thinking it might be fun but it got middling reviews and I didn't think I could get enough people together to play it so I never bothered. Now I kind of wish I had a copy anyways.

I really doubt this will get localized.

Shhh, no negativity, only hype now.

I totally thought this was some random Nintendo franchise because of the Wii version a few years back. I remember thinking it might be fun but it got middling reviews and I didn't think I could get enough people together to play it so I never bothered. Now I kind of wish I had a copy anyways.

It had online play too, though honestly I never tried it. Just playing it with ny sister (and later other family members) was good enough for me. Wonder if there's a chance they'll release the Wii game on the eShop.

zulux21

I never tried these games, but I have a feeling I'd enjoy them.
last i checked fortune street wasn't super expensive. as long as you can find some enjoyment in monopoly you will likely enjoy this series.
Really hope this gets localized. Vita version too SE >.>
if it gets localized I expect both the vita version and even a pc version will be released. vita digital only of course.
I really doubt this will get localized.
chances are low but not zero. even if it isn't localized though there isn't a ton of text. I plan on learning the characters and remembering what means what eventually lol. Won't be able to speak japanese but I sure as hell will know that I just gained 5 stocks in every area.

the reviews were really dumb. I get mario party was popular and the game had mario with dice... but it was about as much like mario party as halo is to starcraft because they both have space related combat. people often compared it to mario party, going in expecting rapid mini games instead of what the game is... a board game that is to be played for 60-120 minutes.

most of the reviews complained about how the game wasn't mario party... and it never was trying to be, the series predates mario party :/ You really should give it a try sometime though if you like board games, as it is a way to play monopoly and have fun :p

Top Bottom