• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest Fortune Street PS4/PSV Announced

last i checked fortune street wasn't super expensive. as long as you can find some enjoyment in monopoly you will likely enjoy this series.

if it gets localized I expect both the vita version and even a pc version will be released. vita digital only of course.

chances are low but not zero. even if it isn't localized though there isn't a ton of text. I plan on learning the characters and remembering what means what eventually lol. Won't be able to speak japanese but I sure as hell will know that I just gained 5 stocks in every area.

the reviews were really dumb. I get mario party was popular and the game had mario with dice... but it was about as much like mario party as halo is to starcraft because they both have space related combat. people often compared it to mario party, going in expecting rapid mini games instead of what the game is... a board game that is to be played for 60-120 minutes.

most of the reviews complained about how the game wasn't mario party... and it never was trying to be, the series predates mario party :/ You really should give it a try sometime though if you like board games, as it is a way to play monopoly and have fun :p

In fairness, going from Fortune Street Wii to Itadaki Street Portable was a real eye-opener for me. While Fortune Street is perfectly fine, it's really lacking in its presentation and mini games. Only problem with the mini games in Portable is you can't set them to random like the Wii game. Hopefully the new game has that.

Edit: I do like the chibi but Toriyama accurate models in Fortune Street over the unified Anime style. Judging from the teaser though, we'll probably get the latter.

Also, yeah, I might just import and try playing "blind" if I really have to.

zulux21

I did my part and tweeted @SquareEnixUSA

I got my response from square enix support.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

We regret to inform you that we do not have any kind of access to any of the information you have requested at this time. Nor do we have any specific information on what other resources where you could obtain that information. However, I would suggest running a simple internet search or discussing this question/issue, as there are many gaming communities which do welcome these types of questions and discussion.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

so basically should likely focus on the social places :p

What's a guy gotta do to get some more Fortune Street out West?

Especially with Switch coming, this series would be perfect for multiplayer with the joycons.

zulux21

What's a guy gotta do to get some more Fortune Street out West?

Especially with Switch coming, this series would be perfect for multiplayer with the joycons.

really the best thing to do is just bring it to people's attention. I am trying to stay on top of things here and keeping it relevant on neogaf when I can, but unless there is demand there isn't a high chance of more over here.

As for the switch, that one would likely be a few years off as the final fantasy one is their sony one and mario is the nintendo one.

Ideally since they have been in a kick bringing over FF and dragon quest games we will get this as the amount of work to localize something like this is far less than something like DQ7 and would likely sell more on the FF name alone.

ah cool they added voice acting. beyond that it looks just like the ps2 version :p

As I said in the other thread, adding voice acting is cool, but on the other hand I feel like it hurts its already slim chances for English release. Really hope Square can just say "You know, screw it! It's a big anniversary title for BOTH series" and just release it.

I'm really surprised at the exclusivity. It would've been great on Switch!

zulux21

As I said in the other thread, adding voice acting is cool, but on the other hand I feel like it hurts its already slim chances for English release. Really hope Square can just say "You know, screw it! It's a big anniversary title for BOTH series" and just release it.

I'm really surprised at the exclusivity. It would've been great on Switch!

I don't really think it changes much. I mean it's a niche enough title that they could just leave the voices in japanese if they wanted.

and it shouldn't be that surprising. The ff version has always been exclusive to sony devices.

I would absolutely jump on a localization. Fortune Street Wii was sooooo fun.

it was and it was an inferior version of the ff version, so hopefully this comes over so we can have the few minor improvements the wii version had, and all the great stuff they cut such as a second mode called sphere mode that drastically changed how the game played.

There's a new article on the game in Jump. Won't link because scans, but it confirms a few characters (Alena, Kiryl, Maribel, Terry, Zidane, and FFX Yuna) and a Museum mode where you can unlock "scenes" from various games.

ssoass

A fun fact about this series is that Vaan and Ashe debuted in Itadaki Street Special a full two years before the release of Final Fantasy XII.

I member, it was also the first time that Penelo's theme and Rabanastre's theme music were revealed to the public... they were actually arranged versions, different from the ones in the final FFXII game.

zulux21

There's a new article on the game in Jump. Won't link because scans, but it confirms a few characters (Alena, Kiryl, Maribel, Terry, Zidane, and FFX Yuna) and a Museum mode where you can unlock "scenes" from various games.

thanks for the update I am just going to quote you and add the info to the OP that way.
if we get some pictures somewhere that aren't from scans I will try to add them.

huh.. silconera has an article up but they have scans in their article so I don't think I can actually link them.

info from their article of interest.

The ”Museum" feature is actually a pretty cool one that they're throwing in to commemorate the big anniversary, and it'll allow you to check out famous scenes from both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series. You'll get to do so by using in-game coins to unlock the scenes.

The magazine also provides a look at more characters from both series. Starting with Dragon Quest, we have:

Alena (CV: Shoko Nakagawa) from Dragon Quest IV
Kiryl (CV: Hikaru Midorikawa) from Dragon Quest IV
Terry (CV: Hiroshi Kamiya) from Dragon Quest VI
Maribel (CV: Aoi Yuki) from Dragon Quest VII

And for Final Fantasy we have:

Kefka (CV: Shigeru Chiba) from Final Fantasy VI
Zidane (CV: Romi Park) from Final Fantasy IX
Yuna (CV: Mayuko Aoiki) from Final Fantasy X
Noctis (CV: Tatsuhisa Suzuki) from Final Fantasy XV

zulux21

UPDATE 3/23 Eight new characters have been announced for the game
In the Dragon Quest side of things we have:

Erinn* (CV: Megumi Han) – Dragon Quest IX
Carver (CV: Hiroki Yasumoto) – Dragon Quest VII
Jessica Albert (CV: Ayana Taketatsu) – Dragon Quest VIII
Angelo (CV: Yoshimasa Hosoya
Next up, on the Final Fantasy side we have:

Minfilia Warde* (CV: Miyuki Sawashiro) – Final Fantasy XIV
Balther (CV: Hiroaki Hirata) – Final Fantasy XII
Squall (CV: Hideo Ishikawa) – Final Fantasy VIII
Lightning* (CV: Maaya Sakamoto) – Final Fantasy XIII
*Series debut
The source is a site via jump scans thus I can't link them since we don't allow scans on this site.

UPDATE 3/23 Eight new characters have been announced for the game

The source is a site via jump scans thus I can't link them since we don't allow scans on this site.

Lightning is voiced by Maaya? Jesus christ... just when I thought I couldn't hate her any more. (I love Maaya, I hate Lightning).

I hope this game gets localized :(

zulux21

What have I just watched? Final Fantasy gets milked to the ground.

actually you watched a video for a long running spin off series. It's basically monopoly with a lot more systems and flexibility in it played on different maps with characters from ff and DQ. a few years back they released one on the wii with dragon quest and mario characters that was localized under the name fortune street (NA) and boom street (EU)

Lightning is voiced by Maaya? Jesus christ... just when I thought I couldn't hate her any more. (I love Maaya, I hate Lightning).

I hope this game gets localized :(

I am hoping that this was included with SE going all in with their dragon quest localisations. It really isn't that expensive of a game to localize especially compared to the RPGs, and with some marketing would likely sell decently since people are less likely to think it is like mario party on the playstation.

that being said the last few DQ games have sold poorly and this one might be just late enough to be the first victim of the next wave of DQ games missed.

I am still hoping it will be localized, but fully expecting I will need to import it from japan and learn enough japanese to play it. on the plus side after playing as much as I have I will only really need to learn 150 cards or so to know what they are doing which isn't that hard of a thing to do.

Einhandr

At the very least maybe this will get an Asian release with English text. Not ideal, but I'd be perfectly fine with that.

I know this is not your intention zulux, but every time I see this thread I get sad because of the minuscule chance that this gets localized.

zulux21

At the very least maybe this will get an Asian release with English text. Not ideal, but I'd be perfectly fine with that.

hopefully, but I can't recall to many games that got an Asian release with english text that didn't get released in english other places unless they had questionable content which this game does not have.

I know this is not your intention zulux, but every time I see this thread I get sad because of the minuscule chance that this gets localized.

You are correct it is not my intention at all, I mean I could do a new thread for new news, but given how few people seem to care it seems better to just update this thread with new info. (aka my hope is people with a passing interest will just sub to this and eventually we can have a group of people who care and might help be vocal about localization with SE. I know I ask them to localize this when I have a chance :p)

if it does get an english release announced though I will either have a mod change the title or make a new thread though. so if you just see this thread pop up you can know it's just an update and not something big like an english release.

Ridley327

I always got the impression that Fortune Street Wii was something that Nintendo pushed for themselves, due to its (very) passing similarities to Mario Party and being the kind of game that fit in with their casual gamer push at the time. I don't really see that as being the kind of thing that Squenix would have pushed for at the time if they didn't have Nintendo nudging them, and I don't see that as being the kind of thing that they would be into now.

Subaru

They are stupid to not release this on Switch, it's easy to sell games now that the hardware had just launched.

I love Itadaki Street <3

Oregano

They are stupid to not release this on Switch, it's easy to sell games now that the hardware had just launched.

I love Itadaki Street <3

I don't think Switch is really suited for a multiplayer party game. That's much more of a Vita/PS4 thing.

Now if we were talking about an overpriced emulated version of the Super Famicom version...

zulux21

I always got the impression that Fortune Street Wii was something that Nintendo pushed for themselves, due to its (very) passing similarities to Mario Party and being the kind of game that fit in with their casual gamer push at the time. I don't really see that as being the kind of thing that Squenix would have pushed for at the time if they didn't have Nintendo nudging them, and I don't see that as being the kind of thing that they would be into now.
the plus would be for SE is that it wouldn't be a very expensive localization and with both DQ and final fantasy in the title it's very likely that it would at least make some money for them, even though it won't be a big seller. The only major hope for it getting localized is that they have been in a localization kick for dragon quest. Where dragon quest heroes 1 sold poorly but we still got 2, and we recently got dq7 and 8 which no doubt didn't sell very well and cost way more than itadaki street would cost to localize.

I love Itadaki Street <3

switch is a nintendo console. thus would need a version with nintendo characters.
the final fantasy itadaki have always been sony exclusives.

I love Itadaki Street <3

The switch will get is own game. Mark my words.

Floe those that don't, itadaki Street is a very old enix series. Horii made it himself m

Like I said in the other thread, Erinn is a neat addition. Makes me hopeful that the Observatory from the Wii game is back as that's a very fun board.

Sooo, on a whim, I thought I'd check out the website (link in the OP) to see if it's been updated, and it has! Has a lot of screens shown in the magazines. Even got a couple of neat confirmations.

The Phantom Train (FFVI) and The Invincible (FFIX) boards from the PSP game are back!
pic_02_z.jpg

pic_03_z.jpg

As well as Mt. Magmageddon (DQV) from the Wii game!

Nothing else really revealing, but the game is looking great!

Raijinken

I can't wait for idiots to start complaining about how the game is spoiling every Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game with the memorable scenes you unlock with in game money.

zulux21

I await the Lightning emblazoned USD$200 squeenix store exclusive CE.
I wish.
Sooo, on a whim, I thought I'd check out the website (link in the OP) to see if it's been updated, and it has! Has a lot of screens shown in the magazines. Even got a couple of neat confirmations.

The Phantom Train (FFVI) and The Invincible (FFIX) boards from the PSP game are back!

As well as Mt. Magmageddon (DQV) from the Wii game!

Nothing else really revealing, but the game is looking great!
great post, added it to the OP

Wow! So that was the game I have been playing non-stop in KH Birth by Sleep

yup birth by sleep has a streamlined version of this in it, the real version takes a decent amount longer and has quite a bit more depth.

Update 3/27 cross-play between PlayStation 4 and PS Vita players confirmed
Up to four players will be able to play together in local and online multiplayer.

Source with new screens

Cool! Now I haven't played the PS2 game, but from the stages shown it looks like Dharma/Alltrades Abbey is back with a completely different layout (Different from the Wii and PSP versions anyway). Looks like the Crystal Shrine (FFIII) from the PSP game is back spring a heavily tweaked layout. And I have no idea what that underwater shrine looking stage is supposed to be.

zulux21

Small website update

There's a character page now
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/itastDQFF30th/characters/index.html

They've also added a couple screens about the museum mode. Looks like you can toggle commentary from various characters.

I totally missed this >.<
will add now.

also not likely anything but...

itadaki street is in the 2017 uk roadshow info
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/20170303_01en.pdf

again likely nothing but it is at least nice to see it included in an english area's road show

Top Bottom