• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

|OT| Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Lone Denjin

Neo Member
Dec 15, 2020
Which Final Fantasy games do you guys think had the greatest sense of danger all throughout, while playing?
Depends on what you mean by danger. Destroying the world the characters are on? or seizing control of the peoples lives/fates. Kefka and Sephiroth are the former, Seymour would be like the latter. Depends on what logic you are running on.
Kefka and Sephiroth are just insane.
Seymour would be the more insidious one to me. Considering his position of power and the means he uses to gain it. Yu Yevon by that point was no longer human, he was just a machine. Arden comes under "tragic Villain". Motivations for the villains widely differ. Ultimecia to me would be the most selfish. Time Kompression was her way of making herself be alone, all powerful but alone.
Kuja's fear of death made him the person he was, that combined with Jealousy over Zidane being the real angel of death from Terra.
Sense of danger depends on what you fear about these Villains. The ones i have not mentioned all have their reasons.

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
Depends on what you mean by danger. Destroying the world the characters are on? or seizing control of the peoples lives/fates. Kefka and Sephiroth are the former, Seymour would be like the latter. Depends on what logic you are running on.
Kefka and Sephiroth are just insane.
Seymour would be the more insidious one to me. Considering his position of power and the means he uses to gain it. Yu Yevon by that point was no longer human, he was just a machine. Arden comes under "tragic Villain". Motivations for the villains widely differ. Ultimecia to me would be the most selfish. Time Kompression was her way of making herself be alone, all powerful but alone.
Kuja's fear of death made him the person he was, that combined with Jealousy over Zidane being the real angel of death from Terra.
Sense of danger depends on what you fear about these Villains. The ones i have not mentioned all have their reasons.
Danger in the sense of the total amount of time spent while the main characters' lives are in peril. The feeling of the player being in acute danger while experiencing their first playthrough

I’m playing through FFIX, about 60% through it currently I’d guess, and the tension put upon the main characters has been extremely intriguing; how Kuja has been operating. I can see the sheer magnitude of his power in the way he is treating the protagonists but at the same time, this behavior is what is slowly leading up to his inevitable demise (if I’m guessing the remaining portion of the story correctly)
He isn’t pursuing Zidane or his his crew in the slightest. Dagger initially, but even then, he sent underlings and stayed patient in the shadows. It’s like he was confident she’d be captured at some point sooner or later. Kuja has been toying with Zidane and the others 100% up to the point that I’m at. They’re less than human to Kuja and aren’t being targeted. This presents a very unique opportunity for the team

Reactions: Lone Denjin

SinDelta

May 21, 2020
What are you hoping for in Final Fantasy XVI?

Me personally, a similar experience to a single player Final Fantasy XIV. I like the lore building they are already doing in the teasers and previews. Graphics look unfinished but the combat looks crazy.

Last edited:

Lone Denjin

Neo Member
Dec 15, 2020
Danger in the sense of the total amount of time spent while the main characters' lives are in peril. The feeling of the player being in acute danger while experiencing their first playthrough

I’m playing through FFIX, about 60% through it currently I’d guess, and the tension put upon the main characters has been extremely intriguing; how Kuja has been operating. I can see the sheer magnitude of his power in the way he is treating the protagonists but at the same time, this behavior is what is slowly leading up to his inevitable demise (if I’m guessing the remaining portion of the story correctly)
He isn’t pursuing Zidane or his his crew in the slightest. Dagger initially, but even then, he sent underlings and stayed patient in the shadows. It’s like he was confident she’d be captured at some point sooner or later. Kuja has been toying with Zidane and the others 100% up to the point that I’m at. They’re less than human to Kuja and aren’t being targeted. This presents a very unique opportunity for the team
In that sense i would have to say 15 did a good job, pushing the protagonists forward with constant magisoldier patrols attacking you when you got out of the car. Made you see they where tracking and hunting you. But i don't know if you want to count that as a gameplay mechanic or not.
My criticism of 15 is quite extensive, but i am willing to admit, that doing that and having "nifs coming in above us" every time you tried to hunt was showing that, it defied convention to a lot of other stories that most enemy factions leave you alone till set event and confrontation points.
I will crap on 7 for this as well. Shinra went in to the background after leaving Midgar and only really picked up again after the Temple. Random Turk fights notwithstanding. But i understand the reason they put them to the back, they needed to do the story arcs of the characters.

Kumomeme

Mar 20, 2017
Malaysia

Me personally, a similar experience to a single player Final Fantasy XIV. I like the lore building they are already doing in the teasers and previews. Graphics look unfinished but the combat looks crazy.
Heavensward is the bar since it is handled by same lead. just hope similliar quality of single player as FFXIV with proper story structure, no rushed, missing/cut out content. Everything should be fleshed nicely.

Atleast similiar number and size of explorable town location as expansions in XIV but from the lore and map, we could have more.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Oct 20, 2013
Earth
In that sense i would have to say 15 did a good job, pushing the protagonists forward with constant magisoldier patrols attacking you when you got out of the car. Made you see they where tracking and hunting you. But i don't know if you want to count that as a gameplay mechanic or not.
My criticism of 15 is quite extensive, but i am willing to admit, that doing that and having "nifs coming in above us" every time you tried to hunt was showing that, it defied convention to a lot of other stories that most enemy factions leave you alone till set event and confrontation points.
I will crap on 7 for this as well. Shinra went in to the background after leaving Midgar and only really picked up again after the Temple. Random Turk fights notwithstanding. But i understand the reason they put them to the back, they needed to do the story arcs of the characters.

Yeah, FFXV at night felt legitimately dangerous early on in the game as well. The game tells you it’s unsafe to go out, and it really is unless you’re very powerful.

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
I’ve watched the trailer several times, it looks very strong in its presentation and I felt like enough was given to be extremely excited about. It’s an excellent trailer, and I think that the task of guarding and protecting Clive’s little brother Joshua will be a thrilling aspect of the game. It’s sort of reminded me of Leon protecting the president’s daughter in RE4, except in FFXVI Joshua will probably become powerful and a more capable ally than Ashley ever could be, naturally. Any time a phoenix is involved there is going to be something extraordinary and powerful taking place IMO. So I think those two characters and their development is what I am most interested to see. The Medieval setting is something I’m excited for as well, I hope that Square Enix can create the most cohesive world to date in FFXVI

Might save up for a PS5 just to play this game

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: SinDelta

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2018
Updated the OP and added ProJared and SomeCallMeJohnny's latest FF reviews (8 and 3 respectively). What are y'all playing? Going to try to go back to FFIX and finish up the plat next month. Just have to do the treasure hunter guide (had missed a few treasure so I couldn't get S rank) and the 1000 Jump Rope achievement. Hoping a good script using AutoKey will help!

• Fire
Reactions: Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
1000 Jump Rope achievement
There’s no way, 1000 jumps in a row, is that attainable? I was playing this the other day in Alexandria w/ Vivi and the tempo is extremely difficult. I’m not bad at minigames usually, but getting a mere three jumps was something I couldn’t do. Maybe the Switch Pro controller is a poor choice for it

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2018
There’s no way, 1000 jumps in a row, is that attainable? I was playing this the other day in Alexandria w/ Vivi and the tempo is extremely difficult. I’m not bad at minigames usually, but getting a mere three jumps was something I couldn’t do. Maybe the Switch Pro controller is a poor choice for it

It was pretty easy on the original PSX and a CRT TV. Due to the nature of modern TVs and a few tweaks made to the remastered title, the tempo and its ability to read is very much more difficult. Even using AutoHotKey style set ups leaves you with RNG. You can do it the same way 10 times and maybe 2 of those times will succeed. Its really dumb. But I want the platinum :p

Reactions: Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
It was pretty easy on the original PSX and a CRT TV. Due to the nature of modern TVs and a few tweaks made to the remastered title, the tempo and its ability to read is very much more difficult. Even using AutoHotKey style set ups leaves you with RNG. You can do it the same way 10 times and maybe 2 of those times will succeed. Its really dumb. But I want the platinum :p
I knew something might be up, because the window to jump and it register for me in the game is like 2 milliseconds no joke. I tried five or six times yesterday and I could not get more than two jumps then said fuck it lol