• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy composers say Final Fantasy XII Remake is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
#Squad

rvpPp4L.jpg

Fixed that for you:
8VxcDHd.jpg

Trogdor1123

I never played 12 so im kind of excited for this but I would have 100% perferred FF6. Still, nothing wrong with a good game getting another shot.

Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY
Dear friends,

In response to comments posted by fans, I want to rectify a statement made from the stage Saturday night at our Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY concert in Pittsburgh.

Following conversations with composer Hitoshi Sakimoto regarding new concert arrangements of music from FINAL FANTASY XII, regrettably, the term ‘remake’ was used in error during one of the announcements that took place from the stage during the concert.

We sincerely regret any confusion this has caused.

Arnie Roth
Producer and Music Director
Distant Worlds: music from FINAL FANTASY

Has this been posted yet?
Should we lock this thread now?

It has.

The general consensus is that he mistook remaster for remake, so a remaster is still on the way. We'll know this week I guess.

It sounds a lot more like he was saying that it was a new recording of music from FFXII which he mistook for a remaking of the game and that he isn't coyly differentiating between a remake and a remaster, given that such distinctions are typically isolated to hardcore gaming forums, while the general public uses those terms interchangeably.

I think a remaster is certainly in the cards given what we have heard from Square and other sources, but this just seems like people wanting to read confirmation when it is actually the opposite.

Well, It probably is like you say but the way I see it: Square has a big participation this Gamescom, if a remaster is on the way and this was just a leak, then it'll be announced there, otherwise it doesn't exist.

TDLink

they should do a full remake. Balthier & Fran as main characters.

I would love a legit remake that cuts out Vaan and Penelo just to see how that version of the game would work. I highly doubt such a thing would ever happen though. I'd be happy just to get the International version.

antitrop

I would love a legit remake that cuts out Vaan and Penelo just to see how that version of the game would work. I highly doubt such a thing would ever happen though. I'd be happy just to get the International version.

FFXII just wouldn't be the same without the minigame where you run around yelling "DON'T LISTEN TO ONDORE'S LIES!" AND "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA" like an idiot.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Am I one of the minority who liked Vaan and Penelo? I thought the only issue with Vaan was his weird abs and that CGI artwork. He looks OK otherwise and I liked him as a character. I also liked Penelo'a character. Very down to earth and regular. Still possessed a young girly disposition but at the same time mature and without being of being too hyper and annoying like many other JRPG childhood friends. Nor was she ever portrayed as a weak healing type even though she was kidnapped.

It was a pity they couldn't finish the stories they had planned for Penelo.

Am I one of the minority who liked Vaan and Penelo? I thought the only issue with Vaan was his weird abs and that CGI artwork. He looks OK otherwise and I liked him as a character. I also liked Penelo'a character. Very down to earth and regular. Still possessed a young girly disposition but at the same time mature and without being of being too hyper and annoying like many other JRPG childhood friends. Nor was she ever portrayed as a weak healing type even though she was kidnapped.

It was a pity they couldn't finish the stories they had planned for Penelo.

It's not like I dislike Vaan and Penelo. They just... don't do so much compared to Balthier, Basch, Fran, and Ashe.

Banned
Never played it. I'm hyped. People say it's one of the best. The battle system seems fun and I'm loving the tactics system I've read up about. Reminds me of dragon age origins tactics for AI party members.

atbigelow

I honestly couldn't come to grips with the battle system in the game. Didn't get too far in the game.

But now that I'm older and less dumb, maybe it'll click this time around.

BasilZero

When and if they make the game - I'm gonna have Basch (mah favorite character in XII) along with Balthier and Fran this time.

Had Vaan, Ashe and Basch last time I played FFXII.

It sounds a lot more like he was saying that it was a new recording of music from FFXII which he mistook for a remaking of the game

It doesn't sound like that at all. He mentions FFXII in between two other game releases. There's no reasonable way to interpret the exact wording of his comments to refer to a soundtrack.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
From what we know about the development of XII and the path it took to completion, this remake makes infinitely more sense than VII.

Every game goes through development issues for better or worse. FF12 as it stands is the product it is, Matsuno isnt coming back and remaking a game he never finished. People need to tone down on the wishful thinking about what could have been.

For the completed FF12 product, a remake of 12 makes no sense to do anytime soon, as long as it holds up(which it does).

Comparing 7 and 12's situations makes no sense.

I don't expect this to be announced at Gamescom. It seems more of a TGS announcement. My birthday is Wednesday so if I'm wrong and it is announced there this week...then I'll call it fate. Why? Because it is my GOAT.

SirNinja

I love that once the group is together, Vann and Penello pretty much vanish from the narrative.

By that point, there's no need for a peripheral narrator anymore. The story was always the group's to tell; Vaan and Penelo basically just get caught up in the many events that lead to their reunion.

I hope they can use high quality VO. That's probably my biggest gripe with 12.
According to the game's translator, they still have the original uncompressed VO files.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well, It probably is like you say but the way I see it: Square has a big participation this Gamescom, if a remaster is on the way and this was just a leak, then it'll be announced there, otherwise it doesn't exist.

TGS is also just in like 6 weeks.

Reveirg

I hope the remaster will add real time switching between characters. Having to pause battles to switch through the main menu was annoying.

Funny thing about FF12, apparently Balthier (along with Penelo) is the worst character with guns, and Fran (and Balthier) is the worst character with a bow. The other characters are faster with those weapons.

Really I didn't know the characters had stats for weapons. Why? Was it due to a glitch? I can't imagine them doing it intentionally when in the marketing material Balthier and Fran used those weapons and if I'm not mistaken those were the weapons they started out with in the game.

Son Of D

Really I didn't know the characters had stats for weapons. Why? Was it due to a glitch? I can't imagine them doing it intentionally when in the marketing material Balthier and Fran used those weapons and if I'm not mistaken those were the weapons they started out with in the game.

With Balthier and guns I think both him and Penelo take 0.2 seconds longer per attack. And with Fran her stats aren't suited for the stats calcuated with bows. Since not all weapons just use the strength stat, some use strength, some use speed and strength, some even use magic strength for the calculations. IIRC Vaan has the best speed stat in the game so he's usually the best for Katanas (especially Masamune) for the highest DPS.

With Balthier and guns I think both him and Penelo take 0.2 seconds longer per attack. And with Fran her stats aren't suited for the stats calcuated with bows. Since not all weapons just use the strength stat, some use strength, some use speed and strength, some even use magic strength for the calculations. IIRC Vaan has the best speed stat in the game so he's usually the best for Katanas (especially Masamune) for the highest DPS.

Yeah, what he said. It's just funny that those are the weapons they were promoted with, start with, and have licenses in so you'd think they'd be suited for those weapons. Balthier is best with weapons like the spear I believe.

I think Baltheir has the best speed.
Vaan actually has the highest def IIRC.
I remember having the strategy guide and making characters based off their max stats.

bonkeng

Funny thing about FF12, apparently Balthier (along with Penelo) is the worst character with guns, and Fran (and Balthier) is the worst character with a bow. The other characters are faster with those weapons.

Balthier was hiding something, maybe that's why he pretends to use a gun instead of his mastered weapon? Just me assuming things lol.

I don't know who Penelo is.

Garlador

Holy shit YES.

This increases my anticipation for a potential remaster basically a thousandfold.

I won't lie; the awful audio quality of the voice acting the last time always sucked me out of the narrative because it sounds like it was coming from a tin can.

High quality audio might be selling point enough for me and the upgraded visuals just the cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom