• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

Kandinsky

Ok got it, and wow this is so sad, the game looks and sounds great, it has one of the best cs direction i have seen this generation and a very likeable protagonist, you can tell they put their heart making this, but holy crap does this game plays bad, its terrible, boring, camera is awful, combat feels monotonous (even after like 2 hours) and dont let me start on the epic failure that motion control is. I honestly dont know what people that compared this to Zelda were playing.

EoT=FFCC>RoF>MLaaK>>MLaDL>>>>>>>>>>>CB

hyperbole and all that

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Depends on who. I've been having lots of fun so far. I guess it just depends on how well you handle the camera but I like throwing shit around and seeing what it does. :lol

botticus

Teknoman said:
Well just got my new NP issue and they say:

Overall rating: 8.0
Thanks for posting that, I had just finished reading and was about to do the same. I think it'll still be worth keeping my preorder to check it out. If I don't like it I can pawn it off quickly for minimal loss, I'm sure, and there's always the chance that an open-world FF will draw me in more than past open-world games have.

And I think we're posting in the official thread for now. :lol To be fair I don't think anyone was expecting to have the game for another week or so.

Effect said:
That seems to be the case. I think in the end unless it's a Nintendo published product and one of their tier 1 games we aren't going to be seeing any advertising unless it's a kids game on a kids channel. I'm afraid it's something that has to be accepted. :(

Just thought of something in terms of the games length. That the main story can be finished in a few hours reminds me of Fallout 3. There was a lot to do in that game but if one really wanted to they could push through the games main storyline fairly quickly. It was side quest in that game that really extended the gameplay. It was the same with Elders Scroll Oblivion as well. Not sure if Morrowind was like that. Legend of Zelda on the other hand is the opposite where the bulk if not all of that game came from the quest and storyline where as collecting hearts, etc took up a small part of the game.

Meh, not really. Assuming we're talking about the West here, Red Steel 2 will be advertised, Epic Mickey will, MH3 will, Grinder and Gladiator AD will, Tatsunoko probably will, DQ X will. NMH2 is a possibility but I'll say no for now.

matmanx1

I like this game! I think as long as you go in to it just wanting to have fun and not with any heavy handed expectations of a "serious" and "epic" Final Fantasy title then you might like it also. Basically it's a great looking (and mostly great sounding) adventure game using the familiar Final Fantasy races, terms and themes. It's silly and lighthearted but also has enough of a story and gameplay hook to keep me interested.

The only real complaint I have is the camera and even then it isnt a huge complaint. Proper camera control requires fiddling with the d-pad which works but isn't as ideal as I'd like. I haven't encountered issues with bad Wii remote inputs as some are suggesting. Maybe it's a user thing or maybe it's in an area I havent hit yet.

Anyway I've got the game on rental right now but I think I will be giving it a purchase. I'm looking forward to some more light-hearted fun.

New interview with Kawazu. Most important part:

What do you think is the next step for the Crystal Chronicles series? Will it go back to its multiplayer roots or a deeper single player storyline?

The Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles multiplayer games for GameCube and DS has many fans, so we would like to continue creating new entries in that direction. On the other hand, the open field game system for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers has many possibilities for further evolution, so I would like to spend some more time with it as well. But there’s only one of me, so I’m not sure which project I will be able to take on next.

He didn't say anything about sales.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It actually is pretty conflicting for me so far. Sometimes it feels and looks really great, other times it's aimless and frustrating and horrible to control. It's not enough RPG to elicit RPG great, and not enough Zelda to elicit Zelda great. It's kind of walking a disturbing line in the middle where it doesn't get the nuanced goodness you'd get from going farther in either direction.

I'd recommend it to people who are interested in what it is, basically, not people who are interested in the series it could have been like. It's not Zelda, it's not FF... it's not even FFCC.

Effect

Tathanen said:
It actually is pretty conflicting for me so far. Sometimes it feels and looks really great, other times it's aimless and frustrating and horrible to control. It's not enough RPG to elicit RPG great, and not enough Zelda to elicit Zelda great. It's kind of walking a disturbing line in the middle where it doesn't get the nuanced goodness you'd get from going farther in either direction.

I'd recommend it to people who are interested in what it is, basically, not people who are interested in the series it could have been like. It's not Zelda, it's not FF... it's not even FFCC.

Thing is there is no one gameplay that is is FFCC though. You have the GameCube and DS game that are similar. Then you have the two WiiWare games where one is a Tower Defense game (pretty interesting I must say. Just played the demo for the first time today) and the other is a city builder/general type game (was really good as well). So we've had 5 full game entries into the series now with the 5th, Crystal Bearers, being an adventure game. Perhaps it's a problem that the game style is all over the place but in a way I think that's the charm of the series. It's hasn't gotten boring or predictable the way the original franchise line has.

batbeg

Too lazy to update my impressions at this point, but I'm still enjoying it pretty well. Just wish the controls weren't so awful. But I did want to update with my gratefulness for the screenshot feature: aside from it being fun to try to take humorous pictures, I was also to catch myself swimming on land for 10 minutes:

qn8u1g.jpg

Effect said:
Thing is there is no one gameplay that is is FFCC though. You have the GameCube and DS game that are similar. Then you have the two WiiWare games where one is a Tower Defense game (pretty interesting I must say. Just played the demo for the first time today) and the other is a city builder/general type game (was really good as well). So we've had 5 full game entries into the series now with the 5th, Crystal Bearers, being an adventure game. Perhaps it's a problem that the game style is all over the place but in a way I think that's the charm of the series. It's hasn't gotten boring or predictable the way the original franchise line has.

You're missing out on the second DS game... so there are 6 entries in the franchise, three of which are alike, one of which is unique, and the other two which are downloadable titles. It's pretty damn evident which form of gameplay the series is known for.

Effect

Thanks. Thought I was missing one but wasn't sure.

GamesRadar has given it a 7/10

Seems from Nintendo Power, GameTrailers, and GamesRader it is looking like a solid above average game. GI's review simply does account based on how they view the Wii in general I feel. IGN's is very suspect as well simply due to the change going over there and they tend to review games based on what they wanted not the actual game they got to play. I look at anything in the 6s as average and anything below that as bad. However anything 7 and above is usually a solid by an depends on your interest in the genre. I wonder were we got the point when anything below a 9 was bad. Prefer letter grades more then anything though.

markatisu

I really wish they would just make a full blown 4 player Wii version of the DS games. There was nothing inherently wrong with the Gamecube one

With that said I picked my copy up today, will take it for a spin later

Effect

markatisu said:
I really wish they would just make a full blown 4 player Wii version of the DS games. There was nothing inherently wrong with the Gamecube one

With that said I picked my copy up today, will take it for a spin later

Never played the GameCube or DS ones but could they be played single player though? I never really bothered with them since the impression I got at the time was that they were a multiplayer only game.

batbeg

They could all be played single player, but arguably the Gamecube one wasn't so much intended for it, whereas the DS entries accounted for single player play somewhat more.

My first playthrough of the Gamecube one was solo, though, so it's just a matter of what you enjoy, I guess.

markatisu

batbeg said:
They could all be played single player, but arguably the Gamecube one wasn't so much intended for it, whereas the DS entries accounted for single player play somewhat more.

My first playthrough of the Gamecube one was solo, though, so it's just a matter of what you enjoy, I guess.

Same here, I have played both the DS editions and the Gamecube one solo.

The Gamecube one is the only one where I could really feel you were missing out without more players though

Culex

Banned
I'm itching to get this game, but I'm really worried about lack of re-playability. Is there anything else to game after your first play through?

ethelred

Gosh, it sure seems now like the concerns I had way back in the beginning of the thread were awfully prescient. Guess people shouldn't have gotten their panties in such a bunch when I said it seemed like combat would be pretty shallow and the game would lack the element most integral to good adventure games (which is, without gameplay depth, dungeon design). :(

And to think people were insisting that this would be the next real Final Fantasy and it should've been the one with the #13.

Teknoman

Well for people who played/reviewed the game for what it is (an open world sandbox FF game) they seemed to think it was average/good. Some probably went in expecting it to be FF Zelda...which i'll admit was the first thing I thought when I saw the game in action.

Really it does just seem like the first "GTA style" game in a fantasy universe.

batbeg

This is nothing like a GTA Final Fantasy, or a Zelda Final Fantasy, or a Crystal Chronicles Final Fantasy.

I maintain what I've said for a very long time now; it's like Disaster: Day of Crisis. Emphasis on story and varied gameplay, not polished, supremely interesting.

jay

"Review it for what it is" is usually code for "play it expecting to get cancer." If you "review it for what it is" then you will be pleasantly surprised that you don't need to set up an appointment with an oncologist.

ivysaur12

Banned
batbeg said:
This is nothing like a GTA Final Fantasy, or a Zelda Final Fantasy, or a Crystal Chronicles Final Fantasy.

I maintain what I've said for a very long time now; it's like Disaster: Day of Crisis. Emphasis on story and varied gameplay, not polished, supremely interesting.

Actually, the Disaster analogy makes perfect sense.

I played an hour. It's fun, but there definitely are a lot of issues I have with it. Minor camera control issues, but it's more the actual IR that is kinda troubles. I've been able to make the motions just fine, but I don't like that I have to waggle twice to pick someone up. Also, targetting seems off. Maybe I need to turn the sensitivity down?

markatisu

batbeg said:

That is spot on, whatever genre that falls into

farnham

Banned
im waiting for the 1up review (if they do review it)

i guess it will be either kat or jeremy reviewing it.. and jeremy was highly interested about the title so he will probably deliver a insightful review

right now i feel that i wont import the game but rather wait for the EU release

Teknoman

Is there a sensitivity option in the ingame menu? Im still looking over impressions and reviews deciding on whether to open it or not :lol

batbeg said:

Eh. Doesn't sound up my alley by that description. Oh well.

Effect

Finally opened my copy and have been playing for a few hours but haven't made it very far. Mess around in the beginning.. I agree the way they open the game was pretty nice. Didn't even realize it was actually a mini-game of sorts until the score appeared at the end of the first event. I wouldn't even call it a mini-game either though since it doesn't even come off as if that is what it is. It blended in right with the cut scenes before the event and after it. More of an interactive cut scene. If it's that score appearing that takes you out of the game as some of the reviews have talked about it's not a major issue at all. They could have hid the score but maybe showing how well you did is good as well. It's really a toss up but nothing major. It's so much better however then having to sit through a 20 minute cut scene not doing anything at all but watching.

I can see what they mean about the controls sort of being an issue but I only really had a problem during the chase scene. Guards are moving and I was moving going up and down over hills. Make locking on to them a bit of a challenge. Had to redo that before I could clear it. I thought you could grab living enemies and throw them but seems like you have to actually either knock them out first and then through them or kill them first and grab their bodies. The camera is controlled by the d-pad but isn't anywhere close to be horrible as some might have claimed. The game looks great as well but I did experience a weird bit of lag in the one train station area but I think it was due to the angle I had the game it and there was a lot of lens flare it seemed in that angle. Rotating the camera a bit caused it to disappear instantly. Controls is the same as any other game where move with the left analog stick and moved the camera with the right. Same basic thing here so you'll find your right hand or left hand, depending which you have have the remote in, hold the remote closer to it's top half instead of more by it's bottom half. You are also moving in combat as it's all real time so I can appreciate that a lot. I'm tried of the turn based battles in Final Fantasy (that's really what helps add to the time of most FF games I think. That and leveling up. Take those out and I think their lengths would be reduced as well to under 30 or under 20 when I think about it more.

Running around the city reminded me of moving around the city in Final Fantasy 12. That's the feel I got from my character in relation to everything around him. However you are closer on your character then you were Vaan in FF12. I'm hoping not being able to talk to NPCs is just something in the beginning of the game but then again most FF games have npcs walking around that you can't really talk to. I guess I'm spoiled or more recent games correcting that, even if npcs are just saying one liners or just talking about the weather or having to go to the store.

Voice is a bit spotty, most in how it's delivered but bad. Won't be winning any awards but we've all heard a LOT worse. The actual voices are nice just delivery is off.

Layle is a pretty cool character so far. Seems somewhat healthy. put together and sarcastic as well. Especially regarding the scene with the
Chocobo when he sends it into the cave first to make sure there were no traps. That was kind of cold of him.

All in all I do have to say my fears about the game, at least so far are put at ease. Not a game I'll be raving about but pretty damn good and worth a pick up if you want a Final Fantasy games meets Zelda. Would say around a 8 or a solid B to B+ in my opinion.

Edit:

Oh yeah. The equipment system is similar to that found in Blue Dragon and maybe even to a lesser degree Lost Odyssey. No armor, weapons but accessories.

batbeg

DeaconKnowledge said:

I would trust that feeling. This is not a game for most people, of that I'm sure. Honestly the best I can urge others to is to rent the game first, unless you're convinced you'll like it (like me!).

Effect said:
Thanks. Thought I was missing one but wasn't sure.

GamesRadar has given it a 7/10

Seems from Nintendo Power, GameTrailers, and GamesRader it is looking like a solid above average game. GI's review simply does account based on how they view the Wii in general I feel. IGN's is very suspect as well simply due to the change going over there and they tend to review games based on what they wanted not the actual game they got to play. I look at anything in the 6s as average and anything below that as bad. However anything 7 and above is usually a solid by an depends on your interest in the genre. I wonder were we got the point when anything below a 9 was bad. Prefer letter grades more then anything though.

I actually read the entire review for the IGN and even by the end of it I was still like "What, so, he likes it or he doesn't? o_O"

I'll buy this when it hits the garbage bins.

It's a shame that yet another wii game disappoints :/

Effect

DeaconKnowledge said:

I'd say if you happen to like the style gameplay that is similar to of that found in Legend of Zelda (3D ones and the there is a 1:1 comparison which is why I said similar) and you like or have an interest in Final Fantasy elements (way it presents magic, races, moogles, chocobos, etc) you might have a better chance of liking the game. I agree it might not be for everyone though.

Youtube has some walkthroughs for the game (playthroughs really) that will show you what the game is like. Spoilers of course if you do that but best way to get a feel for the game I think without buying it first or renting it.

Sohter.Nura said:
I actually read the entire review for the IGN and even by the end of it I was still like "What, so, he likes it or he doesn't? o_O"

I'll buy this when it hits the garbage bins.

It's a shame that yet another wii game disappoints :/

Yup to you. Don't think it does disappoint though. Not at all.

Kandinsky

I dont get it, how can people say this is even similar to Zelda, theres no dungeons, weapons, especial items, no real sidequests, no collection of any sort (except for craft materials, that lets face it are useless), combat is years behind and saying that for Zelda is... :/, are you guys just talking about the graphic approach or am i missing something?.

Effect

Kandinsky said:
I dont get it, how can people say this is even similar to Zelda, theres no dungeons, weapons, especial items, no real sidequests, no collection of any sort (except for craft materials, that lets face it are useless), combat is years behind and saying that for Zelda is... :/, are you guys just talking about the graphic approach or am i missing something?.

I think it should be clearer. I think most are talking about control of character and the perspective you play from more in relation to the rest of the game around you more then anything. Not the same but similar to Legend of Zelda (3D verisons) when you play. However not content wise. Content wise it is very much a Final Fantasy game minus the dungeon crawls it seems. Though I'm wondering about that too. I went through something that could be considered that to a degree but it wasn't big enough to be one officially.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bizzyb said:

Old, buddy. And really not surprising at all, though their issues with the game make it seem like they only played an hour or so of it. Whatever, it's IGN Wii, if it's a third-party game that's not dark and mature, they feel like they're insulted. Not to say the game is amazing or even great, but I feel like most of their issues stem from them wanting the game to be something it's not.

Anyways, 3 hours in. Having fun, though the one area in near the bridge (reminds me if the Fields of Fum from the first FFCC were in CB time-line) is annoying with the enemies. I can't finish them off before the timer runs out.

I'm interested to see where the reaction system goes. I'm sort of finding things at random at this point, so I can see if being something I do later on to experiment. So far, some interesting stuff, but mostly stuff I saw in videos released before hand.

Oh, and Layle's voice acting is atrocious. No issues with anyone else, but Layle's is seriously crippling my enjoyment of the story.

So far, definitely mid-7 range game. The camera is wonky, though not game killing, and I haven't really grasped onto the main fighting system yet. It seems like a lot is either unexplained or just not done well. Still, it's fun and the story is good. And it's beautiful, one of the best looking Wii-games, especially given the scope of the world.

linkboy

Has anyone gotten to Bahamut yet?

How in the hell do you defeat him? I'm just running around in circles throwing swords and I can't get anywhere close to the targets (because they're way up high and he's consistently moving).

Its really starting to piss me off.

ivysaur12

Banned
linkboy said:
Has anyone gotten to Bahamut yet?

How in the hell do you defeat him? I'm just running around in circles throwing swords and I can't get anywhere close to the targets (because they're way up high and he's consistently moving).

Its really starting to piss me off.

I just beat him. Didn't have any real issues with that, but just aim and press B. It should automatically take the sword to the weak-area. Also get around front to do it, his tail usually messes things up.

So far I am having fun with this game from the 2 or so hours I have put into it. I was kind of shocked to not being able to talk to any of the many townspeople in the beginning, but considering the pace it is going I am not surprised. At least you can bully them, and shake them up for gil.

Everything seems so cinematic as far as the presentation is concerned, and I am enjoying the storyline so far. At first the tossing mechanics felt confusing but I seem to be getting better. And yeah, the graphics are fantastic. Really stylish, and oozing with the same quality I got from FF XIIs towns/locations. Probably one of the nicest looking Wii games I have ever seen, which has already been said a million times.

Teknoman

Everywhere else still seems to have the game listed as after Christmas, so I guess Gamestop got the game early and didnt street date it (like Silent Hill Shattered Memories and Klonoa).

Top Bottom