• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2012

Unless you are super overleveled or spam curaga the entire fight Leviathan will kill you dead without some method of stopping tsunami.

I bet RK is happy with how the vote is going. Red Mage has Confuse, Blue Mage likes Confuse.

Bard also has confuse, so even if he gets stuck with Berserker, it shouldn't be too bad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, World 1 too! Reason why Confuse is so important that early is, of course, getting White Wind hella early.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is the PSN version of this any good? Otherwise, I have a 3DS, but that doesn't play GBA games. :( I've never actually finished this game, but I really loved what I did play!

Is the PSN version of this any good? Otherwise, I have a 3DS, but that doesn't play GBA games. :( I've never actually finished this game, but I really loved what I did play!

PS1 version of FF V isn't that bad. The translation is rather poor, but the original story wasn't much to write how about either so not much is missed. Although the humor of the GBA one is awesome. The loading isn't too bad either. If it's the only way you have to play then go for it. If it was FF VI or Chrono Trigger PSN releases...I would say skip it. FF V is the least offensive of the bunch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, that's not true at all. FF V is the worst of all the SE ports on the PSX.

The localization is bad; the script makes little sense and when it does it is horribly dry.

The game itself was notoriously buggy. Sometimes it would freeze WHILE YOU WERE SAVING. It doesn't play nice on the PS2.

The PSN version seems to be a slightly improved version when it comes to bugs but at the time it's ability to dull your mind and wipe your memory card made it by far the worst of the PSX releases. CT and FF VI just had load times and terrible sound effects.

No, that's not true at all. FF V is the worst of all the SE ports on the PSX.

The localization is bad; the script makes little sense and when it does it is horribly dry.

The game itself was notoriously buggy. Sometimes it would freeze WHILE YOU WERE SAVING. It doesn't play nice on the PS2.

The PSN version seems to be a slightly improved version when it comes to bugs but at the time it's ability to dull your mind and wipe your memory card made it by far the worst of the PSX releases. CT and FF VI just had load times and terrible sound effects.

Wow, had no idea the PS1 release of FF V had such brutal glitches. Glad that shit never happened to me. But either way I feel like I can actually play the PSN release of V, because VI's loading times make me hate it and not want to even bother.

Chris R

I never had issues playing my copy of FFV on my PS1 back in the day, but I got the game on GBA now so I can play it in bed before I go to sleep at night :p

Also, is it against the rules to get up to the wind crystal before we start?

ccbfan

Just looked at RK's team.

Boy its getting easier and easier.

Might as well just give him Blue Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Chemist and have him finish it ASAP so we can start earlier.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I never had issues playing my copy of FFV on my PS1 back in the day, but I got the game on GBA now so I can play it in bed before I go to sleep at night :p

Also, is it against the rules to get up to the wind crystal before we start?

No.

LuffyZoro

Alright, I just signed up for this. It's my first time playing FFV, so we'll see how it goes. Only on normal though, I'm not that crazy.

led4lyfe

Wow, had no idea the PS1 release of FF V had such brutal glitches. Glad that shit never happened to me. But either way I feel like I can actually play the PSN release of V, because VI's loading times make me hate it and not want to even bother.

This happened everytime I tried to save:

save2.jpg

I'd have to back out which got me to this screen:

save.jpg

then back out again to world map, which would be fine and attempt to save again. Sometimes it'd take up to 10 times, going from world map-menu,-save back to menu-world map. it was tough playing on my ps2, this year i'll just stick with the gba version and save myself a lot of hassle.

Ultratech

Welp, I'm all signed up. Gonna try Hard Mode this time around...should be interesting.

Oh yeah, I've heard terribly nasty things about FFV (PSX). Some pretty nasty glitches and whatnot.
Granted, I still think it's a pretty terrible port anyways.

Ainaurdur

Wow. RK's run....

The boost that Blue got today. And Dragoon out of nowhere. And Berserker creeping up too? Oh dear.

edit: And just now somebody donated $200 to change it up again... madness.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
((((;゚Д゚)))))))

Also, this means 49 extra berserkers. And almost a quarter of this year's goal already!

Clearly what I will play is going to not be clear until the end. How to plan for this?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean, I've done my time with Berserkers, and I'm clearly down with them. I don't see them as terrible (worst class in the game, but still usable in moderation!) But at the rate we're going there are going to be 1+ Berserker for every person on risk!

The only answer of course, is to help my fellow man by making another twitter account and signing up for Berserker Risk!

led4lyfe

Just put down $60 for Blue Mage, Berserker, Geomancer and Dragoon.

I'm going to try very hard to be able to play this again this year. I missed out last year because of my schedule at work, but I played back in 09 and 10(finished 09, stopped in 2010 middle of world 3).

Ainaurdur

Three and a half days left to influence RK's run. Will it shift again, or is he doomed set upon going with BlueMage/MysticKnight/Ranger/Dragoon.

This week, I hope it goes by quickly.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Just put down $60 for Blue Mage, Berserker, Geomancer and Dragoon.

I'm going to try very hard to be able to play this again this year. I missed out last year because of my schedule at work, but I played back in 09 and 10(finished 09, stopped in 2010 middle of world 3).

Thanks! It hasn't shown up in Chip In, though. Did you already donate or are you going to later?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was looking through my appointment calender for 2010 and what do I find?

My chemist mixing chart and my homemade list of Pokémon Cannon standbys!

Negator

What do you guys think is the most broken combination of classes you can get in hard mode?

I hope I get Mystic Knight again this year, it was pretty much MVP last year.

bluemax

Banned
I registered. I've never done this before but have wanted to for awhile.

Probably gonna go GBA version, or maybe SNES on PSP. Haven't decided.

This happened everytime I tried to save:

save2.jpg

I'd have to back out which got me to this screen:

save.jpg

then back out again to world map, which would be fine and attempt to save again. Sometimes it'd take up to 10 times, going from world map-menu,-save back to menu-world map. it was tough playing on my ps2, this year i'll just stick with the gba version and save myself a lot of hassle.
FFV was listed as one of the very few PS1 games that wasn't playable on PS2 if I remember correctly (a small list was in PSM magazine before). That was why I avoided playing it on PS2 and left it on PS1. Never did I have an issue on PS1 playing it. I tried on PS2 for the heck of it and froze. It has fewer issues on PS3 though.

Red Mage and Summoner would be the only one I can think of, really.

You can only get both on hard mode. Blue Mage + Summoner is pretty powerful, I ran it for the 25th anniversary thread. It gets you all of the best defensive spells in the game, in addition to Bahamut and the Blue Magic Numbers Game.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
FFV was listed as one of the very few PS1 games that wasn't playable on PS2 if I remember correctly (a small list was in PSM magazine before). That was why I avoided playing it on PS2 and left it on PS1. Never did I have an issue on PS1 playing it. I tried on PS2 for the heck of it and froze. It has fewer issues on PS3 though.
I played it on my PS3 last year. Never came across a bug.

led4lyfe

Thanks! It hasn't shown up in Chip In, though. Did you already donate or are you going to later?
I donated on Saturday. I just checked my PayPal and it looks like its going to take a couple days for the bank to send the funds to my account. Should be processed on the 13th.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ninja/Ranger is also now possible.

Also real simple shit like Knight/Knight/Knight Ninja or an all Magic party.

Of course 4 White Mages or Thieves is also now remotely possible.

Link Man

Banned
Ninja/Ranger is also now possible.
I thought about that, but given the ninja's limited weaponry and strength, I'm not sure it's really broken (unless you invest in Chicken Knife) .

Now monk/berzerker/bard/dragoon would be a nightmare, especially until you beat Byblos.

ccbfan

I'm kinda excited to see how many people get past the Byblos wall with a

White/Thief, White/Thief, White/Thief/No 3rd class yet party.

There's a 1/3 chance you'll get a White/Thief first class
then a 2/11 chance you'll get a White/Thief 2nd class
then a 4/16 chance you'll get a White/Thief/No 3rd class yet party 3rd class.

So there's 1.5 percent chance for hard mode player to roll a thief/white mage combination for the Byblos fight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I thought about that, but given the ninja's limited weaponry and strength, I'm not sure it's really broken (unless you invest in Chicken Knife) .

Now monk/berzerker/bard/dragoon would be a nightmare, especially until you beat Byblos.

Monks and Berserkers actually wreck the crap out of Byblos. It's the low damage classes (aka thief and white mage) who get destroyed on him.

FFV cart came in the post today. I haven't played the game for something like 10-15 years and I am champing at the bit.

Start of the fiesta can't come soon enough. I registered for hard mode.

Link Man

Banned
Monks and Berserkers actually wreck the crap out of Byblos. It's the low damage classes (aka thief and white mage) who get destroyed on him.
Odd, when I tried an all-monk party, I had to grind to about lvl. 20 to overcome his Protect/Drain counter combo.

Plus, thieves can steal mage mashers in Karnak.

led4lyfe

The chances of getting a crummy group is so small that I don't see many people getting screwed by doing hard mode. If anything I bet a lot of people luck out and draw a good group and breeze through.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The chances of getting a crummy group is so small that I don't see many people getting screwed by doing hard mode. If anything I bet a lot of people luck out and draw a good group and breeze through.

There are so many people playing hard mode that we're bound to see all types.

Top Bottom