• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2012

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd probably go up to hard mode if I hadn't registered yet, but I already registered for normal and won't bother with contacting RK to change it. It's only going to be my second fiesta/FFV playthrough, so hard/risk mode can be something new for me next year.

RedCoyote

For those interested, I finished my portrait hack:

NEW_PORTRAITS-1.jpg

I have the patching file available, but I don't know a good way to distribute it. Can anyone suggest a good method? I'd like it to be available to people for the Fiesta.

Boney

Banned

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/MagicPants/NEW_PORTRAITS-1.jpg[IMG]

I have the patching file available, but I don't know a good way to distribute it. Can anyone suggest a good method? I'd like it to be available to people for the Fiesta.[/QUOTE]

I don't wanna sound rude but..

why?

RedCoyote

Well, the original portraits are hideous and look nothing like their characters, I imagine some people might prefer having options. For all I know there are people who don't post who might be interested.

awww heck, i thought i'd left it long enough to come back here and be ready to play, but sadly its still six days away

actually thats got me wondering, seeing as it starts on sunday do i get to start early as i am in europe or is there a specific start time?

DMG-01

Oh how I wish I hadn't seen this thread for another week! But I guess this gives me time to find a GBA emulator for PSP that runs FFV at a decent speed. And I guess I still have my second run from last year to finish if the FFV itch becomes too overpowering.

awww heck, i thought i'd left it long enough to come back here and be ready to play, but sadly its still six days away

actually thats got me wondering, seeing as it starts on sunday do i get to start early as i am in europe or is there a specific start time?

Midnight Japan time on the 17th is the official start time, IIRC. I'm under the impression that unless RK finishes early, no one will be able to get their jobs before then.

Well, the original portraits are hideous and look nothing like their characters, I imagine some people might prefer having options. For all I know there are people who don't post who might be interested.

I'll rock your patch if it works on the Japanese rom. (I'm not overly fond of Amano's style either.)

RedCoyote

Hmm... I tested it with the japanese version, didn't seem to work. The code is arranged differently, so I'd have to copy and paste the new code in. If you don't mind waiting a little bit, I can do that.

Aeana

I'm so sad it doesn't work in the european version, this font is clearly superior.

I was going to try to make a version that works with the European version, but trying to design the accented glyphs in the smaller menu font that don't look terrible gave me a headache. :\ I can easily add the non-accented characters to the Euro ROM, and that'd work for English just fine, but the other languages wouldn't look right.

Heropon

I was going to try to make a version that works with the European version, but trying to design the accented glyphs in the smaller menu font that don't look terrible gave me a headache. :\ I can easily add the non-accented characters to the Euro ROM, and that'd work for English just fine, but the other languages wouldn't look right.

I was going to play in English anyway, is that easy to put that font into the European rom?

Aeana

I was going to play in English anyway, is that easy to put that font into the European rom?

Not as easy as I thought. The characters are in a different order, so I'd have to redraw them one by one. I don't have time for that right now. :\

Link Man

Banned
I would just like to announce that I will be using an emulator again this year, to better facilitate the taking of screenshots. I do own a copy of the game, as well as hardware to play it on, as evidenced below:

izezkWjJ0qAC7.png

I will not in any way use this software to cheat during the challenge. I also must apologize, as I will have to manually upscale the images taken, as they will be miniscule to the point of absurdity (see Aena's post above for an example).

Heropon

I also must apologize, as I will have to manually upscale the images taken, as they will be miniscule to the point of absurdity (see Aena's post above for an example).

I think the original resolution is fine, are you sure it's worth the trouble?

P.D.: I have that game since 2009 (Pikmin).

Aeana

I'm on a 1080p monitor. It's not really a big deal.
You can use your browser's zoom option to zoom in if you must.

RedCoyote

Made a separate portrait patch for the Japanese version! It should work fine, though I didn't test the portraits that appear further on since I can't access them easily. I'm trying to upload the patches to a hacking site but I have to wait for the admin approval first.

jp-port-test.png

Also, I also tried that font hack with my portrait hack to see if they're compatible, not that there's any reason they shouldn't be. It seems to work just fine!

font-port-test.png

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I almost want to play the Super Famicom version for my run, but nah.
Advance version on GBPlayer on a big ass projector it'll be.

I decided to play on my PSP via a GBA emulator. I own the advance cart but no longer have a gba. I am running it into my TV via the PSP AV cable and it looks quite nice on my HDTV. There is occasional slowdown, but overall it runs really well.

Can't wait for the games to begin!

PK Gaming

NEW_PORTRAITS-1.jpg

I have the patching file available, but I don't know a good way to distribute it. Can anyone suggest a good method? I'd like it to be available to people for the Fiesta.

These are pretty sweet. I'm playing on the GBA version, but if I wasn't i'd definitely give it a shot.

Heropon

When is the first time a Blue Mage can learn White Wind if none of the other available jobs have confusing abilities?

Chris R

Went out and splurged on a used Micro since my GBA that I've had since launch wasn't detecting 100% of my button pushes (and the Afterburner I installed seems to only register on and off now, no inbetween)

Now I'll have the game with me wherever I go :D

Heropon

I'm so intrigued about what party I'll get.
It seems that many people with berserker risk will get the fan favourite class, even two units! I can't imagine anyone with three berserkers, I hope no one is so unlucky.

Breserker "risk" doesn't seem to be the proper term anymore, since it's looking like it'll be very close to one berserker each. That is unless they're rolled randomly, resulting in some very lucky people.

jorgeton

Breserker "risk" doesn't seem to be the proper term anymore, since it's looking like it'll be very close to one berserker each. That is unless they're rolled randomly, resulting in some very lucky people.

It doesn't look like I'm at risk for a berserker.. How do the rolls work for the fiesta? Is it random or is there some kind of formula based on the number of participants?

Heropon

It doesn't look like I'm at risk for a berserker.. How do the rolls work for the fiesta? Is it random or is there some kind of formula based on the number of participants?

Each Hard Mode participant can request being in the berserker risk mode. For each ten dollars donated before the beginning of the fiesta, an extra berserker is given to one of these people, but I don't know the exact method of distribution.

I suppose it depends on if the randomizer tries to give a berserker to everyone before giving out multiples. If it's the first, then 63 people will have berserkers. If it remains random, then there's a significant chance for one or more people to get assigned more than one, and a lucky few might get three. This would also mean more people get zero, but there's still the normal random chance to get one (or more).

Heropon

Requesting berserker risk is practically asking for an extra berserker right now, and that is without counting on last hour donations (please, someone give a Mystic Knight to RevenantKioku).

Link Man

Banned
Requesting berserker risk is practically asking for an extra berserker right now, and that is without counting on last hour donations (please, someone give a Mystic Knight to RevenantKioku).

Hey, Berserkers aren't ALL bad. They can't be confused, for one thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mystic Knight+Ranger means we get to play the game sooner. It's possibly the best combination for a quick victory, especially with a good buffer.

Heropon

Mystic Knight+Ranger means we get to play the game sooner. It's possibly the best combination for a quick victory, especially with a good buffer.

Yeah, and that's the reason someone has to donate 20 bucks and vote for Mystic Knight :)
(and add 2 extra berserkers :p).

Heropon

CWyah.png

Ouch, it seems Berserker is here to stay. At least Dragoon is replaced by Dancer (and 62 73!!!! berserkers for 69 brave people). Was it your fault, Cyan?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
And a one hundred dollar donation rocks the charts again.

Chip In doesn't always update instantly. 73 berserkers are lining up to invade your job sets.

DMG-01

And a one hundred dollar donation rocks the charts again.

Chip In doesn't always update instantly. 73 berserkers are lining up to invade your job sets.

More berserkers than berserker risk takers!

Alright, I got the portrait hack uploaded, it's available here. It contains the patches for both the US and Japanese versions.

boko-port.png

Sweet, thanks. You are a prince of a man/woman
/coyote

76kwi.png

(Ordinarily, I'd shy away from using abbreviations such as "ty" but the character limit was working against me.)

Top Bottom