• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy III - Official JP Boxart

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks lovely but I am still a sucker for the original FF3 Famicom box art... (posted in this thread)

Sho Nuff

Banned
BobbyRobby said:
Didn't they keep the Amano artwork for the American release of FFIVadvacne?

The FF4 US box is mo betta. I have no idea what is going on in the Japanese version. It looks like my high school artist friend drew it.

Link1110

Looks lovely but I am still a sucker for the original FF3 Famicom box art... (posted in this thread)

I went to thye Amano expo in NYC in 1999. They were auctioning off the original art for that. I STILL wish I had $3000 back then to buy it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
holy crap that's awesome!

they better not mess with this box art? c'mon SE USA!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
theREBELins said:
This is THE Final Fantasy game to get this year. FFXII can wait for Greatest Hits discount :lol
highfive3ul.gif

I like the way you think.

TheJollyCorner said:
Amano was the character designer for the original, with generic main characters. Yoshida is the character designer for the remake, with unique main characters. This cover is Amano style, but with the new main characters.

Perhaps it is too much to give any original credit for those specific characters to Amano, though.

So how many people are going to buy this game, thinking it's the SNES FF3 they played in 1994? I know a lot of people who haven't played RPGs (or many other games for that matter) since that era and were looking forward to getting this remake of FF6j. I've had to explain to them that it's a different game, and they were always disappointed.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Can I ask an honest question without being a troll? I hate when people say "Why wasn't this game on system Y" but I'm honestly clueless as to why this is on the DS rather than the PSP. It's painful to even type that, trust me, so don't flame me for it... But really, the PSP also has WiFi, it's got a little bit more real estate on the screen, it can pump out the graphics... What features are they planning that take advantage of the DS's capabilities? Does anyone know? What's the touchscreen going to be used for?

Again, please don't flame me for asking that because I plan on buying the game regardless. But I can't help but wonder

Chris Remo said:
So how many people are going to buy this game, thinking it's the SNES FF3 they played in 1994? I know a lot of people who haven't played RPGs (or many other games for that matter) since that era and were looking forward to getting this remake of FF6j. I've had to explain to them that it's a different game, and they were always disappointed.
Not many, I think. These would be people who have been playing Final Fantasy games for a dozen years, haven't noticed the number correction in all NA rereleases since 1999, and buy the game without knowing anything about it. Final Fantasy Anthology has now been out longer than "Final Fantasy III" had been out at Anthology's release.

kenta said:
What features are they planning that take advantage of the DS's capabilities? Does anyone know? What's the touchscreen going to be used for?
I believe the game can be totally controlled by touchscreen optionally, as with Animal Crossing. Really, though, I think it's more a case of "Why not?" than "Why?" GBA has (or should eventually have) FF I, II, IV, V, VI, and Tactics Advance. It's not like III being released on a Nintendo portable is totally out of left field.

kenta said:
Can I ask an honest question without being a troll? I hate when people say "Why wasn't this game on system Y" but I'm honestly clueless as to why this is on the DS rather than the PSP. It's painful to even type that, trust me, so don't flame me for it... But really, the PSP also has WiFi, it's got a little bit more real estate on the screen, it can pump out the graphics... What features are they planning that take advantage of the DS's capabilities? Does anyone know? What's the touchscreen going to be used for?

Again, please don't flame me for asking that because I plan on buying the game regardless. But I can't help but wonder

I personally think it's a financial decision, and ease of programming. Sure it could be on PSP, but why spent money on those proprietary UMDs and high development costs for a game than can also be done on a much cheaper (price-wise) console that has overall sold more in comparison to the PSP? My two cents.

kenta

Has no PEINS
MindCollizion said:
I personally think it's a financial decision, and ease of programming. Sure it could be on PSP, but why spent money on those proprietary UMDs and high development costs for a game than can also be done on a much cheaper (price-wise) console that has overall sold more in comparison to the PSP? My two cents.
I figured the same thing, it probably has to do with the marketshare in Japan more than anything else but looking at the situation as objectively as possible, it seems to me that the PSP might have made a slightly better fit.

Also I love how you called UMDs proprietary, as if DS cartridges somehow aren't.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazing box art... and heh, I never knew about the WiFi. Card game ala FFIX?

kenta said:

Compare hardware sales in Japan between the DS and PSP and you'll see why Square is releasing this on the DS. Oh yeah, I know this game was announced quite early on, when no one could really say how things would wind up. There was a long period of time where NO WORD was being spoken regarding this game, and suggest that perhaps SE was biding their time. Needless to say, it makes MORE sense to release this on the DS rather than the PSP, hardware limitations aside. The irony, of course, that SE essentially chose carts over disc media this time around.

Snaku

Banned
Beautiful boxart! If FFIV Advance, and DQVIII is any indication, we may be getting a very similar cover for the US version. :)

kenta said:

That's like asking why a Final Fantasy game is on PS2 rather than Xbox. The answer is the same as well.

Zeed

Banned
Archie said:
According to Gamefaqs:
kenta said:
I figured the same thing, it probably has to do with the marketshare in Japan more than anything else but looking at the situation as objectively as possible
How is financial motivation not objective? People are out for profit, and PSP software sales ain't cutting it, especially in Japan. If everyone looked at everything as "objectively as possible" as you define it, all the games last-gen would've been on the Xbox.
kenta said:
Can I ask an honest question without being a troll?
FAILURE.

PS.
Load times.

Emotions

kenta said:
I figured the same thing, it probably has to do with the marketshare in Japan more than anything else but looking at the situation as objectively as possible, it seems to me that the PSP might have made a slightly better fit.

Also I love how you called UMDs proprietary, as if DS cartridges somehow aren't.

DS owns Japan i think that's reason enough.
If we go by your logic then everything should have been Xbox-PSP exclusive and PS2,GC and DS would have 0 games.

On topic the boxart looks beautiful i hope they release it over here with the same cover.

Bo130

According to GF a japanese gameshop revealed the onlinepart in the game;

03.07.06 - Square Enix veröffentlicht den finalen Packshot zum RPG Final Fantasy III . Außerdem hat ein japanischer Händler Infos zum Wi-Fi Modus bekanntgegeben, die allerdings noch nicht von Square Enix bestätigt wurden.

Demnach soll man via Wi-Fi Briefe an Freunde versenden können. Die Texteingabe soll wohl mit einem Moggle in Zusammenhang stehen: Entweder taucht er beim Schreiben des Textes nur auf oder ist sogar für das Auswählen von Buchstaben verantwortlich.

Nach dem Versand der Briefe sollen 'Events' mit den Freunden generiert werden. Ausführliche Details sollen angeblich in nächste Woche in der Weekly Jump stehen - bis dahin sind die Angaben ohne Gewähr. Release: 24.08.06 (Japan)

You should be able to send letters. After they've recieved it, you should be able to play generated events between you two. More in the next Jump Magazine, appearantly.

Zeed

Banned
Emotions said:
DS owns Japan i think that's reason enough.
If we go by your logic then everything should have been Xbox exclusive and PS2,GC and DS would have 0 games.
Plagarizer!

kenta

Has no PEINS
Chris Remo said:
That's like asking why a Final Fantasy game is on PS2 rather than Xbox. The answer is the same as well.
Hm, that's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks to the rest of you for being dicks when I was genuinely curious

Emotions

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
kenta said:
Hm, that's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks to the rest of you for being dicks when I was genuinely curious

Hey, I answered fair and uh... Square.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mejilan said:
Hey, I answered fair and uh... Square.
Yeah your answer was also very good but the attitude from others was pretty unnecessary

Anyway, bring this game on :)

Zeed

Banned
Anyway, now that the troll is disposed of, I do find the FFIII box art interesting considering that Amano did the art for the original game, but the new characters were designed by someone else, but Amano ended up drawing them for the cover anyway. Someone else mentioned something similar earlier, and it's a good point. Hopefully they keep the same art for the US release.

Were the GBA FF covers the same worldwide?

Ashodin

cvxfreak said:
For America and Japan, no.

B00030GS8A.01-A10ZZM8A327W38._AA220_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63978679_.jpg

B000BI3SIC.01-A1AJVWO2HMT2XY._AA200_SCLZZZZZZZ_V54031393_.gif

Hmm.... I was gonna say that FF3 would be barren white like the first image, but they had the whole art on FFIV.. so now it's a tossup, really.

Top Bottom