• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX Switch Launch Trailer

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, the price is a bit of a disappointment but pretty understandable since it's the same price on iOS, Android, Steam, and Playstation 4.

I wish this were getting a physical release (even if it was $29.99). Shelling out $21 for he digital download is a hard pill to swallow.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Out on Xbox and Windows 10 as well.

The most surprising part is that it's a Play Anywhere title. Nice. (Even though I already have the PC version on Steam)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Sigh...
I own this on ps1, psn, iphone, PS4 already and I’ve never played it more then a few hours. Maybe The Switch will get me to play it...

Last edited:
I have tried to play this game so many times. But I absolutely hate the character designs (except for Vivi). Like, they're just so damn bad. =_=

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i got this free on PC a long time ago but never made it past disc 1. later i got the PS1 release in a CD booklet i bought from a friend who was selling off his games. still didn't beat it. might have to pick this up.

Experience the adventure once again with characters and pre-rendered movies featured in high definition, as well as a new booster system with a selection of various modes such as "high speed" or "no encounters"!

*bought*

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Ugh I hate myself, I just bought it too. I’ve bought this game so many times, but I feel like if I don’t buy it on Xbox, Square will continue to ignore it.

The play anywhere feature is nice though, hopefully the specs are low enough that I can play it a bit at work, when I have some downtime.

jshackles

z5oNdW8.png

Got this in an email

I guess maybe Final Fantasy V might be coming to Switch?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I have tried to play this game so many times. But I absolutely hate the character designs (except for Vivi). Like, they're just so damn bad. =_=
The designs are indeed horrible, but personality-wise I found them to be probably the best cast in a mainline FF game. They are genuinely likeable and have some great interactions. Very touching ending as well.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I can’t belive it I am playing a 3D Final Fantasy on a Nintendo machine!

So far it’s a wonderful presentation. Cutscenes have been upscaled tho still at 30fps (seems like this was original render) and character models all look nice and sharp, but the last version I played was the original release.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What’s the high speed mode? Can you toggle fast-forward on and off? Loved this game back in the day but the battles are just way too drawn out.

Vawn

Banned
I'm still pissed about the horrible trophy list on PS4. I had hoped to eventually get every FF platinum, but the IX list was in no way worth it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
hi speed mode and instant levelling and skipping encounters can all be accessed via the pause menu

Configs menu is spare but thankfully has a “skip battle camera option”

damn Switch is the ultimate RPG machine

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ok watch out if you use hi speed mode in Puck’s alley, I was pick pocketed 5 Gil for standing around too long :p

Last edited:

Petrae

Since I already own FFIX on PS4, and since my Switch is never undocked, I couldn’t bite at $21. Had there been a cheaper introductory price, I might have been tempted... but nope. Squeenix Tax in full effect.

Nope.

Fbh

Already own it for Ps1 and Ps3 and $21 for whats basically a high resolution port seems like too much.

But since it's not a Nintendo game it will be on sale at some point so I'll just wait. Would totally replay it on Switch

Kagey K

Banned
So far I have to say the game is as good as I remember it, but it has some glaring performance issues (at least on Xbox X) that shouldn’t exist for a game so old.

It was tolerable for the most part, but once I hit the open world the framerate just tanked and fluctuated wierdly as I ran from one area to the next. I keep getting wierd flashes of color on screen changes and going into and out of battle, screen changes seem to stutter for a second before changing screens.

I don’t remember these being problems on the PsX or my iPad port. It seems like it wasn’t ported with some of the care it needed, or they were aware of the issue and went “meh it’s good enough.”

Hopefully there will be some patches show up quickly to rectify this, as it has me doubting myself on buying FF7 next month and getting the same results.

Anyone notice anything similar on Switch?

Teslerum

i got this free on PC a long time ago but never made it past disc 1. later i got the PS1 release in a CD booklet i bought from a friend who was selling off his games. still didn't beat it. might have to pick this up.

*bought*

What?

Are you confusing it with 7 or 8?

ROMhack

I genuinely don't think people who pick up the game and beat it will complain about the price. People who play for just a few hours however...

Last edited:

The Shepard

Have they sorted the 2d movement (should be 3d) and music? both are big negatives on the ps4 release for me. If so I'll get it on switch, when on sale.

Pallas

Gold Member
So far I have to say the game is as good as I remember it, but it has some glaring performance issues (at least on Xbox X) that shouldn’t exist for a game so old.

It was tolerable for the most part, but once I hit the open world the framerate just tanked and fluctuated wierdly as I ran from one area to the next. I keep getting wierd flashes of color on screen changes and going into and out of battle, screen changes seem to stutter for a second before changing screens.

I don’t remember these being problems on the PsX or my iPad port. It seems like it wasn’t ported with some of the care it needed, or they were aware of the issue and went “meh it’s good enough.”

Hopefully there will be some patches show up quickly to rectify this, as it has me doubting myself on buying FF7 next month and getting the same results.

Anyone notice anything similar on Switch?

Was thinking of picking this and the other FF’s that are being ported over to Xboxbut I have an X console. Are the drops really bad? I can always get it on the Pro but wanted to get the entire collection on the X.

Better wait for someone to improve the background graphics like with REmake and FF7 with the new neuronal tech that generates more details for low res material.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
What?

Are you confusing it with 7 or 8?

no, and i don't understand this question.

i got 7 on PC for christmas when it came out and played through entirely. played through entirety of 8 in emulator years later.

never played through IX so this is a treat. all the QOL options like skipping cutscenes/FF/etc. are great to have

Teslerum

no, and i don't understand this question.

i got 7 on PC for christmas when it came out and played through entirely. played through entirety of 8 in emulator years later.

never played through IX so this is a treat. all the QOL options like skipping cutscenes/FF/etc. are great to have

Because of this

i got this free on PC a long time ago but never made it past disc 1. l

IX was never released on PC until 2017. So unless you played it *free* on an emulator that sentence confuses me.

Last edited:

jshackles

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
IX is the best Final Fantasy game of all time (and one of, if not the greatest video games of all time IMO). I will buy it for the seventh time.

Top Bottom