• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX Switch Launch Trailer

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The models hold up so well its crazy.
Did they touch them up at all because they look like they could come from a dreamcast lol.

I think they touched them up a bit, but overall the art direction of the game was just solid. It is why games like WoW and Windwaker can still look pretty damn great even 10+ years later.

Shaqazooloo

Played through the first battle, i'm interested in the battle system. You perform actions once your meters full and the enemy can attack while you're choosing commands. Quite different from what i'm used to.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Oh for fuck’s sake, just found out this game has the same music glitch that the PS4/PC versions of VII and IX have had for years.

Music starts from the beginning after every battle. Hope you enjoy the first 10 seconds of all this game’s beautiful tracks, because that’s all you’re going to hear, over and over.

Teslerum

What has been done to VI?

Got a mod that fixes the sprites from the mess Square left it in.
Not only that but they even made a version where they finished the job Square *attempted* to do and redesigned all sprites to match up with the amano artwork. (Which imo looks amazing as I've always been a fan of Amanos work)

The mod does a lot more than that as well.

For example:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-vi-a-world-reborn

Still in beta though.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
been playing this. the Hunter's Feast was awesome lol the Princess drugged everyone.

love this song.

it sounds way better than this in the actual game.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The biggest surprise for me is that this wasn't already on the Switch. Also, those SE digital prices! el-oh-el!

Andyliini

I bought it and tested it for a while. I could only play up to the first save point, but the game seems to run fine up until that point. There was a lenghty black screen before the first battle, I hope that's not the case with all the other battles al well. There were also some glitches with text rendering in textboxes, but other that those, the game runs fine in handheld mode. The music is quite low though, and there does not seem to be an option to turn it up.

Vawn

Banned
I almost pulled the trigger, but the only review I could find makes it sound as if this is a horrible port.

- Uses the ugly mobile phone menus
- The speed bump feature for battle requires pausing the game and turning it on manually. Apparently, outside of battles, this is horrible, so you end up turning it on and off before and after every battle
- Overworld music restarts after each fight, thus meaning you basically never hear most of it
- Characters are up-resed, but nothing else, resulting in a very jarring/ugly game

Has anyone been playing this on Switch and can elaborate if it's as bad as it sounds? This sounds awfully lazy for $21.

Mr Hyde

but the only review I could find makes it sound as if this is a horrible port.

I´m very disappointed if this is true, especially the audio bug. SE needs to get their shit together if I´m gonna shell out that kind of money for a 20 year old game. Otherwise, I´ll just spare the death of my piggy bank and boot up the original. Was really looking forward to this remaster and it turns out shit.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Played the Switch version a bit more. Have not noticed any audio bugs yet, but it seems like they forgot to add in analog control. Even when controlling with the analog stick, the movement is still locked to 8-directional grid. This will probably not be a problem in FFVII, as it did not have it on PS1, but FFIX certainly supported it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"phone menus" actually look fine. i think not having everything at super hi res helps. they don't look that different than the normal UI tbh. i remember seeing the mobile menus on the PC releases and thinking they look bad, but playing this, they are not even noticable.

music bug, i had no idea this was even a thing. entirely ignorable. most RPGs i play casually, like i will get up and make some food or tea or whatever and leave it on the world map. i hear the music. plus if you need to hear it, turn off encounters and you will no longer be interrupted. the option is there.

speed bump is extremely convenient. yes turn on/off via menus. outside of combat it speeds everything up too but that just takes you to the next dialog box. you still need to read it and press confirm. so if you want to FF by some story bit you've already seen, it's easy to do so.

feel like people are just looking for an excuse to not pay $20. either you are cool w that price or not. this being the first time i purchased the game, i had no problem. that's as much money as i would spend on one not particularly crazy night out at a bar.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
feel like people are just looking for an excuse to not pay $20. either you are cool w that price or not. this being the first time i purchased the game, i had no problem. that's as much money as i would spend on one not particularly crazy night out at a bar.

While $21 is steep, that's not my concern. I'm more concerned about being frustrated by these things throughout a long JRPG campaign.

I've played FFIX several times over the years and love it. I just would have appreciated a little more care given to a classic game.

Teslerum

I'm a bit confused that fast forward needs a menu on switch. On PC its just pressing F1 or the R2 button on the gamepad (I think).

Fbh

I almost pulled the trigger, but the only review I could find makes it sound as if this is a horrible port.

- Uses the ugly mobile phone menus
- The speed bump feature for battle requires pausing the game and turning it on manually. Apparently, outside of battles, this is horrible, so you end up turning it on and off before and after every battle
- Overworld music restarts after each fight, thus meaning you basically never hear most of it
- Characters are up-resed, but nothing else, resulting in a very jarring/ugly game

Has anyone been playing this on Switch and can elaborate if it's as bad as it sounds? This sounds awfully lazy for $21.

Not that I was every going to spend $21 on it but this sounds like it might not even be worth it when its on sale (unless its heavily discounted)
You'd think that if they are going to charge over a third of the cost of a new AAA release for the port of a 19 years old game they would at least put a bit more effort into it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've watched the price of PS1 Final Fantasy games over the years and the trend still confuses me. After the game wasn't in store shelves as a Greatest Hits. Places liked to sell it at $15 - $60 range for the black label. Now a days you can find a super cheap copy, maybe even $12 for a used copy in good condition. Then you have those who sell the brand sealed copies for an outrageous amount of money. I've paid full price back when it launched, paid $10 for the PSN version, and then $20 for the iOS version. $20 isn't exactly a bad price if you consider the overall quality. I'm sure that could be debated, but Square porting IX to a phone. Its $10 on PSN for PS1 and that's the hardware it was created for originally.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

holy god this song rules so hard

easily top 10 FF tracks of all time

what is this orchestrated prog metal masterpiece?

this is some Conan: The Barbarian shit right here!!!

Last edited:

BruceCM

Played through the first battle, i'm interested in the battle system. You perform actions once your meters full and the enemy can attack while you're choosing commands. Quite different from what i'm used to.
How's it going now....? I loved playing it again on my Switch!

Top Bottom