• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

Durante

agnie9y53.png

Square was kind of one of the last stands against resisting the submission to western-style bullshit.

This is a sad day.
Except for the enemy dudes, this is not in any way, shape or form "western-style bullshit". The world design looks supremely creative.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
...so they built a new engine after spending who knows how many years building the current gen engine which was only used for like three games? Seriously?
They've already admitted that Crystal Tools was a mistake. The main objective with Luminous is to decrease development times while being easy to use and flexible.

This is by far the best thing I've seen coming out of E3. Sorry Ubisoft.
Nah, at least they showed some gameplay there. Watch Dogs was really cool.

linko9

Square was kind of one of the last stands against resisting the submission to western-style bullshit.

This is a sad day.

I felt a similar feeling when FF7 came out. What the fuck was up with the trucks and refrigerators? That's not FF. I got over it soon enough, but I still don't like it. Same goes for this new shit, if the game looks that good, and plays well, I'll get over it, but I'll never like it. Anyway, I'm certainly not surprised to see that from SE.

Ryoku

As some of us have said before. Highly doubt this is going to be next-gen quality of in-game presentation. Maybe cut-scenes. But there is no way in hell.

BF3
Watch_dogs
Starwars 1313

This is what the next-gen is going to be like.

Thank you for being one of the few sensible people on here.
Of course, games may look better than BF3 (I already think some do), but BF3 has some very resource-heavy settings going on in the game on PC at full settings. I expect Watch_Dogs (PC demo) to be the "norm" of next-gen consoles (with some sacrifices here or there, maybe).

As someone said earlier, until a game with this fidelity comes out, don't expect graphics of this tech-demo's quality for next gen consoles.

But alas, people on here will expect no less from next-gen than what is seen here in this tech-demo which will put modern high-end gaming PCs to their knees, grasping for air..... and more power, lol.

shink

This looks lovely. I hope SE can develop their mainline FF's quicker because the wait for FF13 was excruciating.

Leaving aside the whole "middle east/arab" thing (If it is a desert setting, that is how people are going to dress), why do people assume they are terrorists?

I'm pretty sure the priest type guy ticks all the Final Fantasy 'bad dude' boxes. I assumed he was up to some evil magic shit and those guys were coming in to stop him. The girl of course is held under control via the bracelet or something.

Durante

Leaving aside the whole "middle east/arab" thing (If it is a desert setting, that is how people are going to dress), why do people assume they are terrorists?

I'm pretty sure the priest type guy ticks all the Final Fantasy 'bad dude' boxes. I assumed he was up to some evil magic shit and those guys were coming in to stop him. The girl of course is held under control via the bracelet or something.
I actually agree with that, from the start I also thought that he was the "bad dude". And yes, I guess you could make that argument about their mode of dress (if not their weaponry). I still don't like it.

Thank you for being one of the few sensible people on here.
Of course, games may look better than BF3 (I already think some do), but BF3 has some very resource-heavy settings going on in the game on PC at full settings. I expect Watch_Dogs (PC demo) to be the "norm" of next-gen consoles (with some sacrifices here or there, maybe).

As someone said earlier, until a game with this fidelity comes out, don't expect graphics of this tech-demo's quality for next gen consoles.

But alas, people on here will expect no less from next-gen than what is seen here in this tech-demo which will put modern high-end gaming PCs to their knees, grasping for air..... and more power, lol.

Not even if they have 6 gigs of ram? :)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Fuck, I forgot to mention in the poll to not hire any western composer for a FF's soundtrack, Robert Duncan been there already pissed me off.

raven777

In terms of pure visual, this is better than anything I have seen in E3. This could change when they show off Unreal Engine 4, I don't know.

But yes, its not fair to compare this to Star Wars 1313 or Watch Dogs, since those 2 games were actual "game" with gameplay mechanics already implemented, while this was just pure cutscene.

But this still gives me good hope. I don't really expect next-gen consoles to handle this graphic in gameplay perfectly at the beginning. But I do expect somewhat similar graphics, with maybe lower resolution/AA than this in mid-end cycle of next gen.

If Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs graphics is the peak of next gen, then I will be very disappointed.

iavi

Watch Dogs was really cool. This is even better.

Now Square just needs to get over themselves and release it day-and-date for PC.

This isn't even a game yet. I can't get hyped over a cut-scene with no conceptualization of mechanics.

The grandmaster guy was summoning a creature, as a defense measure, the men with guns were invading to take the crystal - grandmaster was shot and the girl fled with the crystal. The terrorists injected the caged beast with some sort of steroid in an effort to capture her and the crystal, the beast that was originally being summoned appeared as the eclipse finally approached (the summoning up in the temple was interrupted before then) the summon saves the girl who escapes with the crystal

Pretty traditional FF stuff, nice how they mixed the potion in like that too

Durante

This isn't even a game yet. I can't get hyped over a cut-scene with no conceptualization of mechanics.
I can!

If I want deep, well-thought out mechanics I play Europa Universalis. I don't expect that from any "AAA" production, so I can at least enjoy the spectacle.

Ryoku

You honestly believe just more RAM can replace raw power for gaming? Go ahead and put 12GB of RAM in a next-gen console. It won't equal the power of a GTX680, which is what this tech-demo is running on at the very bare minimum.

My PC has 8GB of RAM along with 1GB of VRAM. It would struggle trying to run this tech demo at 1080p in real time. Hell, even 720p is a stretch. Yes, consoles are better optimized for gaming. They still won't have the power to output this level of graphical fidelity.

Diablos

Uhh...

No reason why Hamauzu, Uematsu, etc. can't handle the OST, no matter what the setting is like.

Furthermore, while I think it's probably refreshing to get away from FF being quite Japanese (in the eyes of many western gamers), this straight up looks like Dragon Age or something. It needs to retain the look and feel of FF. That doesn't mean you need to have super Japanese chars like Vanille running around every single game, or one dimensional uninspired puppets like Lightning, either... but, remember what made a lot of the characters, towns, etc. so great in FF. This doesn't seem to do that.

They are so caught up in appealing to the west that they're losing their soul.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Uhh...

No reason why Hamauzu, Uematsu, etc. can't handle the OST, no matter what the setting is like.

Furthermore, while I think it's probably refreshing to get away from FF being quite Japanese (in the eyes of many western gamers), this straight up looks like Dragon Age or something. It needs to retain the look and feel of FF. That doesn't mean you need to have super Japanese chars like Vanille running around every single game, or one dimensional uninspired puppets like Lightning, either... but, remember what made a lot of the characters, towns, etc. so great in FF. This doesn't do that.

They are so caught up in appealing to the west that they're losing their soul.

Im with you regarding the OST, but I haven't seen any "non-finalfantasy" stuff in this video. Infact I think it's very Final Fantasy, but a Final Fantasy that appeals to the world, like the old times.

Speaking of which, no 1080p download link for this tech demo? I'd like to run it on my ps3 eheh.

Durante

this straight up looks like Dragon Age or something. It needs to retain the look and feel of FF.
How can people say this? This looks a billion times more inspired visually and in terms of setting than any Dragon Age. Have you played Dragon Age?

Im with you regarding the OST, but I haven't seen any "non-finalfantasy" stuff in this video. Infact I think it's very Final Fantasy, but a Final Fantasy that appeals to the world, like the old times.
I agree completely.

This is what i expecting from next gen , the tech demo was good and you can even see the flaws in it .
I dislike the AK and the shaky camera but other than that it was good.
Now depending on the hardware i expect the big boys like Epic , SSM , SE , ND , PD to even surpass that in some ways .

The grandmaster guy was summoning a creature, as a defense measure, the men with guns were invading to take the crystal - grandmaster was shot and the girl fled with the crystal. The terrorists injected the caged beast with some sort of steroid in an effort to capture her and the crystal, the beast that was originally being summoned appeared as the eclipse finally approached (the summoning up in the temple was interrupted before then) the summon saves the girl who escapes with the crystal

Pretty traditional FF stuff, nice how they mixed the potion in like that too

Could be, but no way that grandmaster was a good guy. He might appear to be, but you can bet 100% by the end of the game he would be sprouting wings and horns and talking about destiny.

Cartman86

Banned
You guys just don't get it. This demo is a metaphor for Western games infiltrating a traditionally Japanese industry. The foreigners coming into the temple with guns to destroy this traditional spiritual beauty.
No

clearly real time and clearly beautiful, best visual display at E3 so far I would say, although its just a cutscene. Using Azam Ali for this is awesome.

if this is what FFXV is going to look like next gen then I am very pleased...still I would have prefered to have seen Versus over this.

Could be, but no way that grandmaster was a good guy. He might appear to me, but you can bet 100% by the end of the game he would be sprouting wings and horns and talking about destiny.

He was just passionate :p
From what he says about them being invaded and having the magic taken away from them, the story looks to be some sort of magick vs technology war (a la FFVI)

You honestly believe just more RAM can replace raw power for gaming?

Oh, no. That definitely comes first. But more RAM will help.

By the way, i don't believe either that PS4720 will be able to pull that demo off in a gameplay setting. I was just dreaming.

That level of graphics is still far away. PS5820 away.

RiverBed

Banned
Very impressive.

I take this to mean next-gen games will look as to what the current one looks to the previous tech demo:

Tech demo:
FFVII_Tech_Demo_1.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734.jpg

How games looked:
lightning.jpg

ffxiii_battle-event-01.jpg

Not bad. So this tells me next-gen games won't look this good, but will be close enough. Also, I am more interested in studios other than SE when it comes to next gen graphics that have shown the best visuals this gen. SE, to me, are the masters of CG bar none, but not gameplay visuals. They have the best designs in gaming (masters of chimeras) but not actually the graphics, per se.

I am very excited for next gen and it is long overdue.

He was just passionate :p
From what he says about them being invaded and having the magic taken away from them, the story looks to be some sort of magick vs technology war (a la FFVI)

That would be the first half of the game. Then he comes back from the dead and she realises he was evil all along (he wears red and his underlying have hoods after all).

Then she and her loyal male snowboarding friend With short purple hair stop him and save the world, only for the god of everything to show up at the end and decide to end time just to be a dick.

Remember the FF13 tech demo from 2006? The cgi cutscenes looked like that demo, but not the gameplay.

This was a very lovely demo, but I doubt much of it will look like final gameplay from SE next gen...until maybe very late in the generation.

That would be the first half of the game. Then he comes back from the dead and she realises he was evil all along (he wears red and his underlying have hoods after all).

Then she and her loyal male snowboarding friend With short purple hair stop him and save the world, only for the god of everything to show up at the end and decide to end time just to be a dick.
Day one.

Diablos

After watching the video for the second time, I dunno... some things do remind me of FF, but it just isn't grabbing me yet.

Her hair is very FF. The spell, also very FF.

Some parts remind me of something more like Uncharted or some other type of adventure game.

I dunno. It was a good effort I suppose. Please give me Versus before this, though. After that, I guess FF really doesn't have anywhere else left to go in terms of console gaming, so, a new direction is a good thing. I just want them to do it right and not farm it out to westerners.

And, again, for fuck's sake, don't abandon the composers. FFXII and XIII are very polarizing, XIV is a disaster; everyone can agree that they all had amazing OST's for the most part. That's because the one area where S-E is above the fray is the quality of their music. There's no reason why they can't have them compose for a game like this.

Ryoku

It's a real-time tech demo. They just need to embrace PC as a platform :p

This, so badly. I'd love to play this game, and I'd have no problem upgrading my system just to play games of this level, though my wallet would take a hit. I'd expect a GTX680 as the bare minimum to run this smoothly :<
Wouldn't be surprised if the bare minimum was two 680s, either.

orioto

Good Art™
Wait wat... I wake up on that, i'm pretty shocked.

This is actually superioir in many ways to any FF cgi before... lol. How could it be real time?

In a way, if even slightly possible, what i like is that it clearly put to shame unreal 4 or any Wachtes Dogs/Star Wars. I really think people believing those are next gen lack ambitions.. Let me tell you my friends, if the next gen is even remotly ambiguous in a way we can actually discuss if a game is possible or not on this gen, nobody will buy this shit.

About FF, i anwsered that european and realisstic inspirations for FF are a good thing (and actually more fitted to old school FF than the j-pop recent ones). Now, guns, references to war fps.. it's a nono thx.

iavi

I can!

If I want deep, well-thought out mechanics I play Europa Universalis. I don't expect that from any "AAA" production, so I can at least enjoy the spectacle.

I can understand that - don't agree with it, but definitely understand it.

Its in movie form though. I know PC's are powerful but your telling that can be playable?

Honestly, it didn't look out of reach at all.

It's a real-time tech demo. They just need to embrace PC as a platform :p

Well unless Sony\MS go cheap on hardware , i think some people underestimating how long it has been in the hardware world .
Look at certain games on currents system that 7 years old and the specs they have , don't see why this can't happen next gen.
If only Devs could go all out on PC some people won't be saying this so far away .

Wait wat... I wake up on that, i'm pretty shocked.

This is actually superioir in many ways to any FF cgi before... lol. How could it be real time?

In a way, if even slightly possible, what i like is that it clearly put to shame unreal 4 or any Wachtes Dogs/Star Wars. I really think people believing those are next gen lack ambitions.. Let me tell you my friends, if the next gen is even remotly ambiguous in a way we can actually discuss if a game is possible or not on this gen, nobody will buy this shit.

About FF, i anwsered that european and realisstic inspirations for FF are a good thing (and actually more fitted to old school FF than the j-pop recent ones). Now, guns, references to war fps.. it's a nono thx.

What are your top 3 ff games? I bet all 3 have guns.

The rest I sort of agree with. The problem is it is one thing being able to create scenes that look like this, it is quite another thing to take the time to do it.

Hmm... didnt that last scene look like she was flying past midgard?

That large building in the middle certainly had a shinra reactor feel to it..

abuC

My PC has 16gb of ram, and two GTX580s with 3gb of vram each, and I have no doubt it would struggle to run that demo.

Max Payne 3 puts some stress on my PC with all effects and MSAA on, and it doesn't even come close to looking like that. I think people are setting themselves up for a disappointment if they think they'll be seeing those kind of graphics from the next systems.

Eusis

This is a sad day.
They gave in all the way back with FFVIII when FFVII was big. Problem is that took mild steps that stayed consistent with the whole (more realistic faces versus blatant anime visuals), here they went with some bizarre mix of extremes, something very Final Fantasy-ish with typical generic middle eastern gureillas and modern weapons/vehicles clashing with the magic focus. FFVII managed to make it relatively consistent though the low fidelity likely helped along with the fact it didn't blatantly use the most overdone foe in modern shooters, but this failed speculatively. Part of the concept art goes to Crystal Dynamics, so I'm hoping it was just them doing designs for what would've been a generic western shooter, and they just slapped that crap in here brainlessly.

HOPEFULLY there's enough backlash that gets removed or at least reworked in a way consistent with FF, and that evolves into FFXV or whatever.

-SD-

Banned
The survey could've used another question box:

Did you find the camera shaky enough?

Very much 1 2 3 4 5 Not at all

Top Bottom