• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy real time tech demo - Luminous Studio [Up3: Survey/Screens/Video]

I like what is presented in this demo...but I do think SE is relying too much on focus groups...dont try to appeal to everyone and please no one like you did with FFXIII...

Cartman86

Banned
Remember the FF13 tech demo from 2006? The cgi cutscenes looked like that demo, but not the gameplay.

This was a very lovely demo, but I doubt much of it will look like final gameplay from SE next gen...until maybe very late in the generation.

That 06 tech demo was CG for most of it. There is a clear point where it turns real time and other than some hair and clothing physics it looks just like the final product. Maybe 95%.

Durante

I disagree that the clash of style fails. Outside of the AK dudes I think it works out wonderfully.

That 06 tech demo was CG for most of it. There is a clear point where it turns real time and other than some hair and clothing physics it looks just like the final product. Maybe 95%.
Yeah, and this movie has realtime rendering artifacts throughout. Shadow flickering, temporal aliasing and so on.

My PC has 16gb of ram, and two GTX580s with 3gb of vram each, and I have no doubt it would struggle to run that demo.

Max Payne 3 puts some stress on my PC with all effects and MSAA on, and it doesn't even come close to looking like that. I think people are setting themselves up for a disappointment if they think they'll be seeing those kind of graphics from the next systems.

It don't matter how powerfully your PC is if devs don't use the power , which is what happens.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, I've played enough FF games to know the people in here complaining about guns and terrorists are being ridiculous. There's nothing really new here.

I mean, seriously, really think back to the shit you guys played... think hard.

See? Guns and terrorists galore.

Eusis

I disagree that the clash of style fails. Outside of the AK dudes I think it works out wonderfully.
AK dudes are basically why it's awful. Some of the rest could still stick out though, but not as badly because middle eastern guerrilla fighters/terrorists are the single most overdone enemy now, and the last place they need to show up is FF.

Pranay

Not at all, just have realistic expectations.

I am basing my expectations on what we are seeing.

This is achievable easily on next gen and since next gen is delayed a year more, i expect a higher chance of this happening

jaxword

And yet if there was a guy with a gun arm (think FFVII ) people would criticize it equally as being anime shit or whatever

Final Fantasy fans are literally the most unpleasable people on the planet. No matter what the new game has, it's STILL not as good as your favorite one from your childhood, which was perfect.

Durante

And yet if there was a guy with a gun arm (think FFVII ) people would criticize it equally as being anime shit or whatever
AK dudes are basically why it's awful. Some of the rest could still stick out though, but not as badly because middle eastern guerrilla fighters/terrorists are the single most overdone enemy now, and the last place they need to show up is FF.
I think it only needs small tweaks. Give the dudes a weapon (it can still be a gun) that doesn't look as blatantly like an AK, and instead of the turbans give them some ridiculous (this is FF) headpiece that fulfills the same purpose. Fixed.

Darryl

Banned
Yeah, I've played enough FF games to know the people in here complaining about guns and terrorists are being ridiculous. There's nothing really new here.

I mean, seriously, really think back to the shit you guys played... think hard.

See? Guns and terrorists galore.

i don't think people care about guns or terrorists as a concept, just how it's used in the video. they can still appeal to the western gamer and do way more fantastical shit than this

Eusis

SE should just do whatever the hell they want with it, as long as it's nothing like FFXIII.
Well, I'd be curious to know the process behind making this, because if my thought is a clash of Crystal Dynamics and Square staff then maybe they should avoid that! Though it also wouldn't surprise me if it's the old man watching the sun and the grand master designed by Crystal Dynamics and it's the AK47 guys that came from the Japanese artists, seems we sometimes get that sort of reversal of expectations.

jaxword

I think it only needs small tweaks. Give the dudes a weapon (it can still be a gun) that doesn't look as blatantly like an AK, and instead of the turbans give them some ridiculous (this is FF) headpiece that fulfills the same purpose. Fixed.

Something like
kq7V0.jpg
?

Chev

They've already admitted that Crystal Tools was a mistake
Actually Crystal tools is their production pipeline, not the engine specifically, and they're keeping the pipeline. And in the FF13 postmortem what they admitted is that their problems came from poor project management, not the tech itself.

This looked really cool but:

A) Why the fuck is shit like this shown behind closed doors when their regular E3 "presence" is a joke?

B) How about they focus on current unreleased/unannounced-but-wanted games like FFVIIremake, FFVersusXIII, & KHIII before showing off neat demos of potential next-gen games that, knowing SE, are probably like 15 years away?

abuC

It don't matter how powerfully your PC is if devs don't use the power , which is what happens.

This looked way way better than the Samaritan demo, which needed 3 580s to run at one point (now on 1 680). I doubt either next gen system has something approaching a 580, let alone 680 in terms of horsepower.

This is achievable easily on next gen and since next gen is delayed a year more, i expect a higher chance of this happening

Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs is a more accurate representation.

If you think that's "easily" achievable then I don't know what else to say.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
i don't think people care about guns or terrorists as a concept, just how it's used in the video. they can still appeal to the western gamer and do way more fantastical shit than this
I got the sense they were outraged by it's very inclusion.

But If they just don't like the look of them and their weapons that's fine, because I would agree with a needed change.

Well, I'd be curious to know the process behind making this, because if my thought is a clash of Crystal Dynamics and Square staff then maybe they should avoid that! Though it also wouldn't surprise me if it's the old man watching the sun and the grand master designed by Crystal Dynamics and it's the AK47 guys that came from the Japanese artists, seems we sometimes get that sort of reversal of expectations.

It's definitely been created to gauge interest, the survey is a good indication of that
I quite like the idea of mixing the SE and the CD staff to create something unique, it's not like uniquely Japanese titles are bringing home the money these days, maybe a dash of western talent will breathe a bit of life into the franchise

Of course the team who created Agnis isn't any indication of future FF games, but it's nice to see SE mixing things up a bit.

Eusis

Yeah, seriously. We don't need bandits swinging swords in there, but we also don't need guys that look like they meant to go to a Modern Warfare only to wind up in a Final Fantasy instead.
Actually Crystal tools is their production pipeline, not the engine specifically, and they're keeping the pipeline. And in the FF13 postmortem what they admitted is that their problems came from poor project management, not the tech itself.
Yeah, Crystal Tools IS partially the basis for this, so I guess it's not a complete waste, especially if this gets shared around throughout Square Enix rather than just kept to FF developers.
It's definitely been created to gauge interest, the survey is a good indication of that
I quite like the idea of mixing the SE and the CD staff to create something unique, it's not like uniquely Japanese titles are bringing home the money these days, maybe a dash of western talent will breathe a bit of life into the franchise
You're right to an extent (though if there's communication issues it could be a terrible idea), but in that case it's probably best for a new IP. Serious Japanese involvement with Tomb Raider or Legacy of Kain would likely be just as awful, but something like a modern successor to what Parasite Eve tried to do would be a good idea.

-SD-

Banned
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/171899/Square_Enix_lifts_the_lid_on_its_nextgen_engine.php

the demo was running on a very high-end PC with off-the-shelf commercial hardware.
Square Enix has no plans on licensing the engine, although it would be possible for Square Enix outsourcers to utilize Luminous Studio. And even though the engine will be the company's flagship tech, it won't be forced onto subsidiaries -- studio directors will choose what engine they want to use for their games.

This looked really cool but:

A) Why the fuck is shit like this shown behind closed doors when their regular E3 "presence" is a joke?

B) How about they focus on current unreleased/unannounced-but-wanted games like FFVIIremake, FFVersusXIII, & KHIII before showing off neat demos of potential next-gen games that, knowing SE, are probably like 15 years away?
Perhaps they are being forward thinking and getting started on their next gen product and having a next generation engine ready now, rather than sitting on their laurels? I wouldn't complain about a Square Enix that is a bit more forward thinking, nor should you

Slime

Banned
Next-gen Final Fantasy apparently for cocaine addicts with severe ADHD and caffeine injected directly into their veins.

Eusis

If the engine's solid enough we'd probably actually see the likes of CD and Eidos Montreal use it. Actually, given CD's co-developing it I'd be shocked if they didn't use it at least.
Next-gen Final Fantasy apparently for cocaine addicts with severe ADHD and caffeine injected directly into their veins.
We're not talking about turning FF into Ys, though I think I'd welcome that if they had to go action RPG.

Krilekk

Banned
Diminishing returns ... people don't see the difference of next gen graphics ... current gen tech is good enough as it is ... somebody got owned.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Graphics on the PS3 are good enough, we don't need anything more..

How much better can it really get anyways?

If the engine's solid enough we'd probably actually see the likes of CD and Eidos Montreal use it. Actually, given CD's co-developing it I'd be shocked if they didn't use it at least.

We're not talking about turning FF into Ys, though I think I'd welcome that if they had to go action RPG.

It's obvious Square-Enix wants to leverage Luminous the way EA is using Frostbite, Capcom is using MT Framework, and Ubisoft is using Anvil. Anything to avoid the Unreal tax, and Japanese companies in particular had a lot of trouble this gen working with western developed middleware.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This looked way way better than the Samaritan demo, which needed 3 580s to run at one point (now on 1 680). I doubt either next gen system has something approaching a 580, let alone 680 in terms of horsepower.

Star Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs is a more accurate representation.

If you think that's "easily" achievable then I don't know what else to say.
Well then that's horribly disappointing then. Watch Dogs definitely wowed me, but not because of the great graphics, but the visual style and concept of the entire presentation.

I also didn't think 1313's character models were really that impressive. Some of the best? Definitely. But TLoU character models looked much better top to bottom in my opinion.

If that's the leap we can expect in a year and a half.. that's pretty god damn shitty. I really hope this demo is a much better representation honestly. Because I am not spending 400+ dollars on a new game machine that's only a little better looking than what my PS3 is capable of right now.

Not a whole heap better. There are art ability, time and cost factors limiting games too. But it can get 1080p and 60fps and more open then running along a corridor.

To me this is what next gen will be. Nothing looking amazingly better (but hope to be wrong!) just a lot fewer compromises. I would say most devs will just thanks to the extra power and produce much the same things with better technical stats.

But a few will use that power and the results will be glorious.

Well then that's horribly disappointing then. Watch Dogs definitely wowed me, but not because of the great graphics, but the visual style and concept of the entire presentation.

I also didn't think 1313's character models were really that impressive. Some of the best? Definitely. But TLoU character models looked much better top to bottom in my opinion.

If that's the leap we can expect in a year and a half.. that's pretty god damn shitty. I really hope this demo is a much better representation honestly. Because I am not spending 400+ dollars on a new game machine that's only a little better looking than what my PS3 is capable of right now.

Agreed
The Watch Dogs character models in particular are not very impressive, there's a fair few current gen PS3 games that do better

Eusis

Diminishing returns ... people don't see the difference of next gen graphics ... current gen tech is good enough as it is ... somebody got owned.
There's still the questions of how much the hardware that can do this (well, close anyway) will cost, how much the GAMES will cost to make, and what effects on design this will have. I honestly think the sweet spot may've been PS2 technology, given that supported visuals that can actually look like human beings and emote plausibly enough, but not being the kind of stuff you'd go overboard and end up taking forever on, not as easily anyway. If however this is pretty much a drop in the bucket compared to what we have now (or potentially CHEAPER due to more sophisticated tools), and the consoles won't be too expensive, then great, bring it on!

It's obvious Square-Enix wants to leverage Luminous the way EA is using Frostbite, Capcom is using MT Framework, and Ubisoft is using Anvil. Anything to avoid the Unreal tax, and Japanese companies in particular had a lot of trouble this gen working with western developed middleware.
True, and it may work out better than MT Framework at least in that it'll be shared better with western developers. It's probably also better if the UE4 IS absent from the Wii U and thes can scale with it better.

A thought: if this really IS what next-gen looks like... I think we'll be definitely seeing drastically diminished returns with the generation follow that. It's always said, but as nice as it looks it's still not the level of jump the PS2 had over the PS1, or even the PS3 over the PS2. It may well be that if hardware keeps being pushed it ends up being a matter of resolution/frame rate afterall.

Ryoku

Got specs? Target specs, at least? You know the kind of power a GTX680 requires, and the amount of heat it produces (let alone two)? You know how much it costs? You know that die-shrinks aren't as easy as many of the people on here make it seem?

As abuC has said (and I in another thread), for next-gen console graphics, look at Watch_Dogs (PC demo) or Star Wars 1313. I expect Watch_Dogs (PC demo) will be the "norm".

Are you kidding? If at least games this gen were native res (1080p) and had perfect AA/AF and framerate I could somehow see your point but... upscaling and bad IQ is disgusting.

orioto

Good Art™
What are your top 3 ff games? I bet all 3 have guns.

The rest I sort of agree with. The problem is it is one thing being able to create scenes that look like this, it is quite another thing to take the time to do it.

Modern guns if you prefer, you know what i mean.
Modern setting even, i don't want anything relating to our actual world in FF.

Durante

Indeed. And even this still has easily visible problems that could be fixed with more power.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Are you kidding? If at least games this gen were native res (1080p) and had perfect AA/AF and framerate I could somehow see your point but... upscaling and bad IQ is disgusting.
He's being factitious.

I'm not even going to lie, I was definitely one of the people that believed that too. But after seeing this.. if this shit is really what I can expect from quality dev teams then count me the fuck in.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
My post was sarcastic to the tenth degree.

Are there really people still saying that does not look much better than a PS3 title?

Jesus Christ.

Eusis

Are there really people still saying that does not look much better than a PS3 title?
It's possible to argue that it's not as big of a jump as prior generations... though it's probably fairer to use the FFVII demo or something. In which case it IS a smaller jump, definitely there and impressive but clearly it's now more in effects, with faces having gone about as far as we can before tripping into the uncanny valley as Quantic Dream has.

Top Bottom