• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise | Reveal Trailer

story is based on the original FF1. SE assumed fans familiar with it. this seems to have caused confusion with many. SE forgot that most FF fans are only familiar with #7 and after. the scene is a recreation of an encounter in the original game.
I was shocked how many people didn't know this. But, that's probably because I've played FF1 a TON of times throughout the years since it first release on NES in NA.

Hearing things like, "They named a character 'Chaos'?? Square lost touch, old Square never would have come up with something so stupid!" is pretty laughable.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
An even bigger cringe is you calling cringe at me for me reacting to you calling you cringe for cringing about the game!

Its a veritable fucking cringe loop.

If someone solves it, maybe we can return to our own time like the Warriors of Light?
The even bigger cringe is chaos.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Kinda funny. I was going to mention Other M as another bad game due to Team Ninja. Not a bad game persay but a bad Metroid game.

But then they pull stuff like Hyrule Warriors and Nioh 2 and it's all super wonderful.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Team Ninja are still great. They just put out Nioh 2.

The gameplay in this game looks like it could be fun. The story and character designs are by SQEX. It's similar to Other M.

Exactly. And it does my head in that now, barely 7 months into the new gen anything built to a standard that was normal prior to last November now looks like a PS3 or mobile game! Its nutty.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I got some real Verum Rex vibes from this, would have been better if Final Fantasy wasn't even involved here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Kinda funny. I was going to mention Other M as another bad game due to Team Ninja. Not a bad game persay but a bad Metroid game.

But then they pull stuff like Hyrule Warriors and Nioh 2 and it's all super wonderful.
Other M wasn't bad because of Team Ninja. The director was Sakimoto from Nintendo. He gave them the direction to build the game off 1 button. He gave them the story and all the major cutscene direction.

Other M graphically was one of the best looking games on Wii, and played well. The Team Ninja portion of that game was nearly flawless.

tommib

Am I alone in actually finding this interesting? Protagonist is hot, gothic architecture, fighting looks good… Wake me up when the demo is working.

I was shocked how many people didn't know this. But, that's probably because I've played FF1 a TON of times throughout the years since it first release on NES in NA.

Hearing things like, "They named a character 'Chaos'?? Square lost touch, old Square never would have come up with somethimg so stupid!" is pretty laughable.
It's laughable they forgot most of their fanbase outside Japan never brought FF until 7 and never saw guys near that high again until XV.

Teslerum

barley anything to revel about the story other than to interduce Garland and the warriors of light.
The point is this *encounter* and the story makes no sense in context of FF1. And I have played FF1 multiple times over the years.

I have already posted a rant about how none of this makes sense. Regardless of if this is recreating the original confrontation with Garland at the beginning of the game or the final confrontation at the end of it.

- Why does a voice mention Garland is some long lost knight when he wasn't even that in the original and wasn't even BORN YET. Nobody fucking knows Garland at this point in time. And if it was the beginning (in the ruined shrine of chaos) Chaos is the non-factor.

And this is just mentioning the most obvious contradiction. There's tons more in that trailer.

Edit: Maybe the trailer is just badly cut. That's off course also a possibility.

Last edited:

Teslerum

Hearing things like, "They named a character 'Chaos'?? Square lost touch, old Square never would have come up with somethimg so stupid!" is pretty laughable.
I don't think that's what a lot of people make fun off. It's the constant *WE NEED TO KILL CHAOS* like the WOL are on some sort of bloodthirsty revenge. That's not FF1 at all.

We're not exactly talking about the emporer in FF2 here where that hatred would make way more sense.

Last edited:
Defeating Chaos just becomes a necessity at the end of the original. He isn't even a thing for most of the game as you should know.

There IS basically no plot in FF1. Just a few names, minimum unexplained backlore, etc. The story was really never told (except for the ending suddenly explaining the whole time loop).

The plot of FF1 is a blank canvas. I always wished they had several different studios create their own games and own interpretations. This is basically that.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

bachelor-in-paradise.jpg

Spice this game up a little with some dating.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I can't believe we got these people to do another FF spin off after Dissidia NT
I don't know what team worked on Dissidia NT, but I have confidence in the Nioh/Ninja Gaiden team to deliver a good action game. Provided this games development is going well and the corrupt demo is not a sign of what's to come, lol.

Myths

lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-schemata.jpg

Pretty much what the job system sounds like… except it’s funky fantasy infused with K-Pop band attire for dudes

So is the badguy called chaos or do they just want to stop chaos as some sort of elemental force?
It could be both, just that the force chose to manifest as Garland. Kind of like how the Void and Ex-Death (if you know).

Last edited:

Teslerum

There IS basically no plot in FF1. Just a few names, minimum unexplained backlore, etc. The story was really never told (except for the ending suddenly explaining the whole time loop).

The plot of FF1 is a blank canvas. I always wished they had several different studios create their own games and own interpretations. This is basically that.
There is. It's simple, but its all there. Not fleshed out at all, I'll give you that. But complete.

Point is, what little there actually is, this trailer manages to contradict in a myriad of ways. And I'm fine with their own *interpretation*, but that trailer

A: evoke zero nostalgia.
B: just confuses me exactly because it contradicts the few story points FF1 actually had.

So yeah, not a fan. This opinion can change when more information comes to light (For example how the situation in the trailer even came to be. Technically it could still be derived from FF1 due to time fuckery.

That still leaves Garland though, because if he actually is someone that *left for the same journey as the WOL* the princess kidnapping wouldn't have happened, which means he wouldn't have discovered the dark crystal, which means he wouldn't have gone to past, which means there's no connection of him to the four fiends, which means no Chaos, which means no time loop in the first place, which means....... arrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhh.

Yeah, again I should stop thinking about this in terms of it being related to FF1 and completely assume it's a very far off retelling. I can live with that with more information.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

I just figured it was Garland acting like he represented the Chaos "force" like he did in FF9.
Essentially he is the gatekeeper or herald for Chaos...like silver surfer with cooler armor.

Who knows what wacky shit they will come up with. The voice over in the video was very odd for sure. The main character seems a bit unhinged...they are probably chaos :)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
- generic rage-filled white dude to appeal to the western dudebro gaijins

- skinny waif metrosexual fashion model guy, because this is the signature Tetsuya Nomura FF style after

- jacked Black dude to appeal to the diversity crowd (not bashing him btw, he looks like by far the least douchey of the bunch)

BTW I’m shocked that Kotaku or Polygon haven’t yet written some clickbait article about how this PoC is problematic in some way. Gotta get on that one, guys. Every minute wasted means fewer clicks.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Stranger of Paradise drinking game:

- 1 sip of beer any time someone makes some awkward grunting noise that isn’t in response to physical exertion

- one shot any time the angry guy utters a line that DOESN’T contain the word “Chaos”

- one shot any time the metrosexual guy makes a smart alecky quip that tries to be funny but isn’t

- one shot any time the black dude punches his fist into his palm in order to emphasize how determined he is

- any time the villain gives a monologue that lasts over 2 minutes, you have to stand up and punch yourself in the dick

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Stranger of Paradise drinking game:

- 1 sip of beer any time someone makes some awkward grunting noise that isn’t in response to physical exertion

- one shot any time the angry guy utters a line that DOESN’T contain the word “Chaos”

- one shot any time the metrosexual guy makes a smart alecky quip that tries to be funny but isn’t

- one shot any time the black dude punches his fist into his palm in order to emphasize how determined he is

- any time the villain gives a monologue that lasts over 2 minutes, you have to stand up and punch yourself in the dick
i don't think this games target audience has any use for their dicks.

Blueghost

Neo Member
Game looks absolutely terrible to me, graphics, art style, dialogue, character design... honestly at times it reminded me of the bad unreal engine 3 games that plagued the ps3, like I am alive, quantum theory...easy pass for me

Yoboman

This was probably an internal Square project they were brought into save from complete abject failure, like Other M

There's only so much they can do when the core of it is awful to start

Fuz

Banned
Ridiculous, tried to download again and still a corrupted file.

Have you tried to chaos the chaos? You should chaos the chaos into the chaos, then chaos the other chaos. That should work.

chaos

Last edited:
Have you tried to chaos the chaos? You should chaos the chaos into the chaos, then chaos the other chaos. That should work.

chaos
All CHAOS and no play make Jack a dull boy.

Myths

Garland is just the manifestation for the godforce Chaos, a pawn. They’ll probably add a godforce Cosmos, I get this is less serious so they’ll throw in a bunch of wacky twists. It’s a roller coaster.

That said, doesn’t seem like they intended for the game to be playable this early.

Top Bottom